Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,892 members, 7,810,425 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:51 AM

Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil (20004 Views)

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy / CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups / What Happens If We Boil An Egg With Oil Instead Of Water? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by GenderMix: 4:17pm On Dec 29, 2023
id911:

Which Red Oil and cholesterol? You're playing with your health by running away from something very good to a very terrible choice. Better consult a trained nutritionist and not those fake doctors telling you what they know absolutely nothing about. The so-called 'groundnut' oil you're using is nothing but highly processed palm olein which is terrible for your health and wellbeing.

Better run away from it and continue using normal Red Oil(Palm oil) which is good for your health. If you don't want to use Red Oil, which by the way has nothing to do with cholesterol, then go for Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil,etc.

Seed oils are generally bad for you.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/red-palm-oil-health-benefits

This is a good read
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by freemi(m): 4:29pm On Dec 29, 2023
Nbote:
Why will u want to cook food with oil processed from red oil??
is ground nut oil made from red oil?
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Uyoukowise: 4:40pm On Dec 29, 2023
freemi:
is ground nut oil made from red oil?

Vegetable oil is made from red oil
I have posted the picture here
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by EleventhWeirdo: 4:40pm On Dec 29, 2023
Iceberg3:

Be a good boy and fkOFF,thanks a lot

Why is your fulishness resistant to learning? Instead of thanking him for the valuable free lessons, you have decided to remain ignorant and discourteous
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by ElSudani: 4:43pm On Dec 29, 2023
Free2Fly:

You can use any of the vegetable oils(groundnut oil, olive oil, etc) in place of palm oil for any food you want to prepare.

In fact, that's what's is being used abroad. No one uses palm oil, except Nigerians who traveled with it because of their traditional link with it.

Palm oil is has a high content of palmitic acid(saturated fat) and is less healthy compared to groundnut and olive oils(which have high concentrations of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats).

As you are concerned about your cholesterol levels, you need to avoid it as much as you can.
Don't listen to these unenlightened Nigerians who prefer to use olive oil for miracles instead of cooking for which it's primarily meant for.

Palm oil is healthy, you have to basically drink it every morning to produce any negative effect on you. It is better than many other oil and that is why you will find it in one way or the other in almost all processed food in the supermarkets all over the world.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by IMPARTIAL: 4:44pm On Dec 29, 2023
Red oil is best for everything. Healthier!
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Ashawoman82: 4:46pm On Dec 29, 2023
Iceberg3:

Oga leave this matter for madam,nahhh,haba!!!!
Biko,leave that kitchen with madam and busy yaself with something else,2024 is here already!
bro the matter tire me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by freemi(m): 4:48pm On Dec 29, 2023
Uyoukowise:

Vegetable oil is made from red oil
I have posted the picture here
ok. Thanks didn't know

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Neweramify(f): 5:10pm On Dec 29, 2023
Your wife shouldn't be debating with you on how you want your food made especially when it has to do with your health. If she prefer cooking soup with palm oil, she can go ahead and cook, dish yours out before adding palm oil. Simple
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Iceberg3: 5:16pm On Dec 29, 2023
EleventhWeirdo the fuul of the year 2023:

Why is your fulishness resistant to learning? Instead of thanking him for the valuable free lessons, you have decided to remain ignorant and discourteous
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Free2Fly: 5:16pm On Dec 29, 2023
ElSudani:

Palm oil is healthy, you have to basically drink it every morning to produce any negative effect on you. It is better than many other oil and that is why you will find it in one way or the other in almost all processed food in the supermarkets all over the world.

Speak scientifically
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by folake4u(f): 5:28pm On Dec 29, 2023
Tallesty1:
Unah just like unnecessary stress.

First you use veg oil then you start looking for a coloring agent when you can easily use the fvcking red oil.

Naija no dey stress unah enough?

I nor sure say Naija dey stress them. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by uniquetechng: 5:32pm On Dec 29, 2023
id911:

I won't argue. It's your health. Do whatever you feel is good for you.
There are many more health issues related to palm oil

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by NaBanga: 5:39pm On Dec 29, 2023
I cook with it all the time. If you want to make something red, you can add pepper or a little tomato paste. I like it much better and it's healthier.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by TheGift: 5:41pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

I have been having this back and forth debate with my wife regarding cooking soup with groundnut oil as against red oil but she is on the negative. I had cooked Egusi soup with groundnut oil and it taste really nice. I had also done same with okra sea food and its really nice. The reason why I want to do away with red oil is because I have been advised on my cholesterol level and the odour from palm (red) oil doesn't sit well with me these days.

I want to serve my visitors Egusi soup prepared with groundnut oil but she's declined because she's not sure how it will be received....lol

Does anyone have experiences with cooking soups with only groundnut oil and how does it taste. okra, bitterleaf, oha, vegetable, edikaikong, egusi, etc

Except you are a chef by profession , let your wife have a final say on such homely matters. Even if you are a good cook. Don’t let something ad random as culinary preference now become an issue
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by NEUDUDE: 5:42pm On Dec 29, 2023
Use red oil stew to eat bread now lemme see grin
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by GoldHorse(m): 6:35pm On Dec 29, 2023
Most of these so called (commercial) VEGETABLE OIL are not healthy. Stick with (good grade) palm oil.

Do your research well; though the main stream doctors and write ups will tell you otherwise.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by leTrizzle: 6:38pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

I have been having this back and forth debate with my wife regarding cooking soup with groundnut oil as against red oil but she is on the negative. I had cooked Egusi soup with groundnut oil and it taste really nice. I had also done same with okra sea food and its really nice. The reason why I want to do away with red oil is because I have been advised on my cholesterol level and the odour from palm (red) oil doesn't sit well with me these days.

I want to serve my visitors Egusi soup prepared with groundnut oil but she's declined because she's not sure how it will be received....lol

Does anyone have experiences with cooking soups with only groundnut oil and how does it taste. okra, bitterleaf, oha, vegetable, edikaikong, egusi, etc
Groundnut oil abi vegetable oil?
Not all "transparent" oils are groundnut oil.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Artiiclebeast: 6:46pm On Dec 29, 2023
Uyoukowise:

palms oil is being processed to remove the red color and fat to become olein oil, what you call groundnut oil,

Nope, sir. There is something called groundnut oil derived from groundnut seeds.

Yes, most people refer to them all by one generic name groundnut oil/vegetable oil.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by porthouse7(f): 6:54pm On Dec 29, 2023
post=127680798:
For this delicious egusi soup and beautiful brown skin Amala, wink
We used 80% red oil and 20% Vegetable oil.
We believe it's a personal choice.
Amala don't go well with egusi, they are not related
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by ezebunafo(m): 7:18pm On Dec 29, 2023
We4all:
You can actually use your vegetable oil to prepare egusi/vegetables and use tomatoes to add some color to it. Some people even prefer to eat white okro, so you are on point with that. The only problem is, I think palm oil is healthier than groundnut/vegetable oil.
no veg oil is more healthier than palm oil
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Cromagnon: 7:28pm On Dec 29, 2023
Nbote:
Why will u want to cook food with oil processed from red oil??
vitamin a
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Tallesty1(m): 7:48pm On Dec 29, 2023
folake4u:

I nor sure say Naija dey stress them. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
E no stress them, nah why dem dey use hand dey complicate something wey simple.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by delpee(f): 8:04pm On Dec 29, 2023
If you're dealing with cholesterol, please follow the doctors advice especially if you're prone to having high BP. Life is more important than all the sentiments being espoused here. Health is wealth.

Yes, you can cook egusi with genuine groundnut oil. Add enough pepper sauce for color. I do that often. Note that most of the vegetable oil being sold here is actually refined/bleached palm oil. You can get real ororo epa (groundnut oil) although a bit more expensive because it's mainly produced in the North.

Groundnut is good for cholesterol control.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by cyrusmillz: 8:15pm On Dec 29, 2023
If this husband reads to the 3 page , I'm sure he'll end up being more confused grin grin
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by aribisala0(m): 8:44pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

The advice you got about cholesterol is wrong
At least 80% of blood cholesterol is produced in the liver.
The other 20% is AFFECTED by the diet. Not necessarily by CONSUMING cholesterol
It is more complex than than.

Animal fats that do bot contain cholesterol will actually increase blood cholesterol more than consuming pure cholesterol of plant origin e.g red meat, butter and cheese

There is economic politics around palm oil that I do not have time to go in to gere but palm oil is very safe
The other thing I should say is that what you call GROUNDNUT OIL has nothing to do with Groundnuts a lot of it is just processed oil some of which is from Palm oil

Finally PALM OIL RBDPO in some countries is that bleached Palm oil which we call VEGETABLE OIL

Groundnut oil used to be common in Nigeria in the 70s but was too expensive to produce and lost out to impoeted VEGETABLE OIL which was PALM OIL derived .

So on health grounds there is nothing wrong with palm oil and it is even healthier
because it contains carotene. Most of the published research is based on RBDPO NOT RED PALM OIL which is high in carotene
This RBDPO is what many Nigerians ignorantly call GROUNDNUT OIL

All that stuff you call groundnut oil has no connection to groundnut and comes from a range of seeds like sesame, rapesed, canola, sunflower

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by folake4u(f): 8:55pm On Dec 29, 2023
Tallesty1:
E no stress them, nah why dem dey use hand dey complicate something wey simple.

Honestly speaking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by SIRTee15: 8:57pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

Except u using olive oil or rapeseed oil to cook, I don't really see your objection to palm oil because all vegetable oils apart from above are not healthy for the body.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by aribisala0(m): 9:03pm On Dec 29, 2023
SIRTee15:

Except u using olive oil or rapeseed oil to cook, I don't really see your objection to palm oil because all vegetable oils apart from above are not healthy for the body.
What is this declaration based on? It is such a powerful assertion

Not healthy how?

How is Olive oil or rapeseed oil healthier than Palm oil?
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by aribisala0(m): 9:19pm On Dec 29, 2023
leTrizzle:

Groundnut oil abi vegetable oil?
Not all "transparent" oils are groundnut oil.
In the International commodities market one such Transparent oil is
RBDPO made from palm oil in Malaysia and Indonesia . That is what Americans and Europeans know as Palm Oil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCszYCYopwE
Nigeria is a major importer and its emergence is one of the things that killed the groundnut oil industry in Nigeria because it was not able to compete because it failed to industrialize

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by SIRTee15: 9:41pm On Dec 29, 2023
aribisala0:
What is this declaration based on? It is such a powerful assertion

Not healthy how?

How is Olive oil or rapeseed oil healthier than Palm oil?

mono- unsaturated fats are the ones recommended for cooking. Saturated fats are best avoided or consumed less.
Olive and rapeseed oil are unsaturated fats.

The scope of why unsaturated fats are healthy is beyond the scope of discussion here. But I can send u links if u are interested in learning more.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by DesChyko: 9:45pm On Dec 29, 2023
Groundnut oil or Vegetable oil?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Indomie Noodles Made In Nigeria Are Safe For Consumption ― NAFDAC / What's Your Favourite Biscuit? / See How To Make The Best And Tastiest Meat Pies At Home (photos,video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.