Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,051 members, 7,821,619 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil (20132 Views)

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy / CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups / What Happens If We Boil An Egg With Oil Instead Of Water? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by femi4: 12:33pm On Dec 30, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

I have been having this back and forth debate with my wife regarding cooking soup with groundnut oil as against red oil but she is on the negative. I had cooked Egusi soup with groundnut oil and it taste really nice. I had also done same with okra sea food and its really nice. The reason why I want to do away with red oil is because I have been advised on my cholesterol level and the odour from palm (red) oil doesn't sit well with me these days.

I want to serve my visitors Egusi soup prepared with groundnut oil but she's declined because she's not sure how it will be received....lol

Does anyone have experiences with cooking soups with only groundnut oil and how does it taste. okra, bitterleaf, oha, vegetable, edikaikong, egusi, etc
The best outcome is to combine both

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by SIRTee15: 2:29pm On Dec 30, 2023
NoToPile:
So the refined palm olein which they sell as groundnut/ vegetable oil here in Naija is what you call healthy. It's even written on the damn pack all those mamador and Co.

Some even call them bleached palm oil

Is there still original groundnut oil in this Naija market sef?

Except you buy those original oils, coconut, original olive, soya, canola etc your local original village palm oil is way better.

Fake palm oil mixed sef is now everywhere.

The general advice is to reduce the consumption of palm oil in your diet. Doesn't matter if it's vegetable oil extract from palm oil or red palm oil itself.
The calories in palm oil is 100% fat with 50% being saturated fat, this has been linked to LDL and increased cardiovascular health risk in the body.
The bleached palm oil should be avoided completely as it has little health benefit if any.

Red palm oil has vitamin A, E and antioxidants which is good for the body but u can easily get those in fruits and fresh vegetables without the baggage that comes with palm oil.
There's also the problem of high omega 6:3 ratio in palm oil. Omega 6 is a strong pro-inflammatory and not healthy for the body, the advice is to use cooking oil that has a low ratio of <10 for cooking. Palm oil has 44.5 ratio.

However, palm oil also has lower omega 6 content overall and much safer when compared with other vegetable oil in Nigerian market.
The op is misinformed, it's better the family stick with red palm oil if they cannot afford expensive ones like olive oil.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Danabu(m): 5:35am On Dec 31, 2023
Iceberg3:

Oga leave this matter for madam,nahhh,haba!!!!
Biko,leave that kitchen with madam and busy yaself with something else,2024 is here already!

If you are not a woman then you must be a woman wrapper.

Groundnut oil is great in soups and everything you can upgrade to Olive oil if you want is of the colesterol .
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Iceberg3: 7:25am On Dec 31, 2023
Danabu:

If you are not a woman then you must be a woman wrapper.

Groundnut oil is great in soups and everything you can upgrade to Olive oil if you want is of the colesterol .
A real woman wrapper is a man who talks about soup, groundnut oil soup on the last day of the year!!!!!!

Wtf!
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by DrFunmisticGlow: 10:54am On Dec 31, 2023
GenderMix:

Interesting. Lol.
I like the redoil stew but I just prefer groundnut oil

I believe you'll love groundnut oil stew just that you prefer the red oil type.
vegetable oils like canola and soybean are not healthier or have less cholesterol than palm oil. Do not be deceived.
Even lard is better than some vegetable oils in my opinion.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kfc In Nigeria / What Is The Worst Food You've Ever Eaten When Hungry / Torley Vs Moet: Which One Should You Buy This Festive Season?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.