Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,781 members, 7,813,579 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:23 PM

Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil (20037 Views)

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy / CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups / What Happens If We Boil An Egg With Oil Instead Of Water? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Jewessgratitud3: 2:42pm On Dec 29, 2023
🤮🤮
Wetin I dey hear so? Ororo for soup? 👀 👀 shocked...

From time immemorial we have been using Palm oil to prepare our local dishes and no body has ever suffered from cholesterol until we started switching to vegetable oils.

Palm oil is our own and it's very rich and tasty for soups. Please stop bringing those western style of cooking to replace our native cultural delicacy.

Vegetable oil has it uses. Let our local Palm oil dish use palm oils.

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Tonytonex(m): 2:43pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

I have been having this back and forth debate with my wife regarding cooking soup with groundnut oil as against red oil but she is on the negative. I had cooked Egusi soup with groundnut oil and it taste really nice. I had also done same with okra sea food and its really nice. The reason why I want to do away with red oil is because I have been advised on my cholesterol level and the odour from palm (red) oil doesn't sit well with me these days.

I want to serve my visitors Egusi soup prepared with groundnut oil but she's declined because she's not sure how it will be received....lol

Does anyone have experiences with cooking soups with only groundnut oil and how does it taste. okra, bitterleaf, oha, vegetable, edikaikong, egusi, etc
imagine cooking edikang-ikong soup with groundnut oil. grin
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by samcolee(m): 2:44pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

I have been having this back and forth debate with my wife regarding cooking soup with groundnut oil as against red oil but she is on the negative. I had cooked Egusi soup with groundnut oil and it taste really nice. I had also done same with okra sea food and its really nice. The reason why I want to do away with red oil is because I have been advised on my cholesterol level and the odour from palm (red) oil doesn't sit well with me these days.

I want to serve my visitors Egusi soup prepared with groundnut oil but she's declined because she's not sure how it will be received....lol

Does anyone have experiences with cooking soups with only groundnut oil and how does it taste. okra, bitterleaf, oha, vegetable, edikaikong, egusi, etc

Most of the red oil are mixed with chemical that's why it's smelling get good one from your village
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Artiiclebeast: 2:45pm On Dec 29, 2023
Nbote:
Why will u want to cook food with oil processed from red oil??

How is groundnut oil processed from red oil?

Groundnut oil (pressed oil derived from ground nut) is healthier than palm oil cholesterol-wise.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by AlluviaUC: 2:46pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

Your wife is right. Red oil is healthier.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by hunkydory(m): 2:48pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

There's no health hazard of any kind in using palm oil to cook soup. Soups come out better with palm oil than groundnut oil.
Can you cook banga soup with groundnut oil?
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by id911(m): 2:54pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

Which Red Oil and cholesterol? You're playing with your health by running away from something very good to a very terrible choice. Better consult a trained nutritionist and not those fake doctors telling you what they know absolutely nothing about. The so-called 'groundnut' oil you're using is nothing but highly processed palm olein which is terrible for your health and wellbeing.

Better run away from it and continue using normal Red Oil(Palm oil) which is good for your health. If you don't want to use Red Oil, which by the way has nothing to do with cholesterol, then go for Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil,etc.

Seed oils are generally bad for you.

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by LooneyLester: 2:56pm On Dec 29, 2023
When you reach 60, you'll came back here to share your chemotherapy treatment

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Father4all: 3:03pm On Dec 29, 2023
Cook your own soup. Most people you are telling here don't know how to cook

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by uniquetechng: 3:14pm On Dec 29, 2023
We4all:
You can actually use your vegetable oil to prepare egusi/vegetables and use tomatoes to add some color to it. Some people even prefer to eat white okro, so you are on point with that. The only problem is, I think palm oil is healthier than groundnut/vegetable oil.
In actual sense red oil is unhealthy because it's high in palmitic acid.
Refined cooking oil like rapeseed oil and sunflower oil are heathier.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by uniquetechng: 3:21pm On Dec 29, 2023
id911:

Which Red Oil and cholesterol? You're playing with your health by running away from something very good to a very terrible choice. Better consult a trained nutritionist and not those fake doctors telling you what they know absolutely nothing about. The so-called 'groundnut' oil you're using is nothing but highly processed palm olein which is terrible for your health and wellbeing.

Better run away from it and continue using normal Red Oil(Palm oil) which is good for your health. If you don't want to use Red Oil, which by the way has nothing to do with cholesterol, then go for Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil,etc.

Seed oils are generally bad for you.

Red oil is actually unhealthy, the fact that we have been using it for cooking over the years doesn't mean it's safe.
Red oil are high in palmitic acid therefore not healthy cholesterol wise
Refined cooking oil like rapeseed oil and sunflower oil are actually safer and less in cholesterol.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Uyoukowise: 3:22pm On Dec 29, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

How is groundnut oil processed from red oil?

Groundnut oil (pressed oil derived from ground nut) is healthier than palm oil cholesterol-wise.

palms oil is being processed to remove the red color and fat to become olein oil, what you call groundnut oil,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Uyoukowise: 3:28pm On Dec 29, 2023
You can go to Presco plc in Benin city to see how it being done.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Rbae: 3:30pm On Dec 29, 2023
Palmoil is healthier. If you are using original olive oil which is very expensive then you are good but Palmoil is better.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Uyoukowise: 3:35pm On Dec 29, 2023
This is the refinary

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Anguel: 3:42pm On Dec 29, 2023
Is traditional for us to cook most of our soups with Palm oil, but if u chose to use Groundnut oil that doesn't mean u should drag your visitors into it... First of all,did u informed them about ur new development?

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Kingzrocky: 3:47pm On Dec 29, 2023
Palm Oil is preferable
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by GenderMix: 3:51pm On Dec 29, 2023
Free2Fly:

You can use any of the vegetable oils(groundnut oil, olive oil, etc) in place of palm oil for any food you want to prepare.

In fact, that's what's is being used abroad. No one uses palm oil, except Nigerians who traveled with it because of their traditional link with it.

Palm oil is has a high content of palmitic acid(saturated fat) and is less healthy compared to groundnut and olive oils(which have high concentrations of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats).

As you are concerned about your cholesterol levels, you need to avoid it as much as you can.
Don't listen to these unenlightened Nigerians who prefer to use olive oil for miracles instead of cooking for which it's primarily meant for.

Thanks alot
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by MrSly(m): 3:55pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

I don't know who is teaching you but your wife is very correct. Based on health ground you doing yourself more harm than good. Red oil is healthy apart from cholesterol which is low in it. If you are fighting cholesterol then use exercise and other means not using adulterated products of nowadays called vegetable oil.

4 Likes

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by GenderMix: 3:56pm On Dec 29, 2023
JuanDeDios:

Someone is giving you BAD advice. For health-conscious people, there are only three oils for cooking:
1. Coconut oil
2. Olive oil
3. Palm oil

Vegetable oils (the one you're calling "groundnut oil" ) go through production processes that make them very very unhealthy. Everything they've told you about cholesterol is wrong. I can't go into it in detail now, but read up.

You can eat butter and ghee too, but RUN from margarine!

I can understand. Thanks
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by GenderMix: 3:58pm On Dec 29, 2023
MrSly:

I don't know who is teaching you but your wife is very correct. Based on health ground you doing yourself more harm than good. Red oil is healthy apart from cholesterol which is low in it. If you are fighting cholesterol then use exercise and other means not using adulterated products of nowadays called vegetable oil.

I agree on the exercise aspect. Red oil has it's benefits and I'm not totally disregarding it. I have to read up on vegetable oil
Thanks
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by mariahAngel(f): 4:01pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:

Can I use groundnut oil instead of red oil for soup?..... of course with other ingredients

No, you can't.

Palm oil is what gives life to our native dishes. Especially soups.
Vegetable oil will have them looking pale and lifeless. undecided
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by GenderMix: 4:03pm On Dec 29, 2023
post=127680798:
For this delicious egusi soup and beautiful brown skin Amala, wink
We used 80% red oil and 20% Vegetable oil.
We believe it's a personal choice.

Looks good. The amala is 😋

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by id911(m): 4:04pm On Dec 29, 2023
uniquetechng:
Red oil is actually unhealthy, the fact that we have been using it for cooking over the years doesn't mean it's safe.
Red oil are high in palmitic acid therefore not healthy cholesterol wise
Refined cooking oil like rapeseed oil and sunflower oil are actually safer and less in cholesterol.

I won't argue. It's your health. Do whatever you feel is good for you.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by GenderMix: 4:04pm On Dec 29, 2023
mariahAngel:

No, you can't.

Palm oil is what gives life to our native dishes. Especially soups.
Vegetable oil will have them looking pale and lifeless. undecided

Pale and lifeless...... I rest my case
I am very particular about presentation beyond the taste.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by id911(m): 4:05pm On Dec 29, 2023
Uyoukowise:

palms oil is being processed to remove the red color and fat to become olein oil, what you call groundnut oil,
Don't mind them.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by GenderMix: 4:06pm On Dec 29, 2023
samcolee:

Most of the red oil are mixed with chemical that's why it's smelling get good one from your village

I suspect so... But what kind of chemical could that be ?
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by GenderMix: 4:09pm On Dec 29, 2023
hunkydory:

There's no health hazard of any kind in using palm oil to cook soup. Soups come out better with palm oil than groundnut oil.
Can you cook banga soup with groundnut oil?

Banga soup doesn't require any form of oil because there is oil naturally in the Banga

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by GenderMix: 4:12pm On Dec 29, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
🤮🤮
Wetin I dey hear so? Ororo for soup? 👀 👀 shocked...

From time immemorial we have been using Palm oil to prepare our local dishes and no body has ever suffered from cholesterol until we started switching to vegetable oils.

Palm oil is our own and it's very rich and tasty for soups. Please stop bringing those western style of cooking to replace our native cultural delicacy.

Vegetable oil has it uses. Let our local Palm oil dish use palm oils.

I respect our palm oil 💪. It has come a long way. I just want to be sure it's not causing any harm.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Jewessgratitud3: 4:13pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:

I respect our palm oil 💪. It has come a long way. I just want to be sure it's not causing any harm.

It's not.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by mariahAngel(f): 4:14pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:

Pale and lifeless...... I rest my case
I am very particular about presentation beyond the taste.
Thanks

It's even better to use palm oil sparingly, than using vegetable oil.

You're welcome.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See How To Make The Best And Tastiest Meat Pies At Home (photos,video) / Housewife Caught Stealing Meat From Neighbour's Pot In Sapele / People's Attitude Towards 'Pap'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.