Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife (1447 Views)

Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos / Oranmiiyan Was The Son Of A Benin Prince Who Was Exiled / Shilekunola Moronke Naomi Leads Praise & Worship At Ooni's Palace In Ile-ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by funmijoyb(f): 12:42pm On Jan 01
Usenokpevbo:
you seem very emotional about this subject, i am from this very tribe you talk about, you seem like one who will not concede in the face of overwhelming evidence, should i bother convincing you or i should leave this subject. Are you affiliated to Esan or are you married to one
Truly have lived in Benin for years before i traveled to live with Esan people they told me a lot of history about the Bini. I am from the Yoruba tribe.
The sad part is by tomorrow that maxwell of Oba of Bini palace will browse the internet and use nairaland comments to rewrite a fake Bini history through falsification to make it look like he's version is genuine.
The tribe Benin people got their name from the name of their town Ile-Ibinu. After Oranmiyan left after spending like ten years as the First Oba of Bini.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Usenokpevbo: 12:47pm On Jan 01
funmijoyb:

Truly have lived in Benin for years before i traveled to live with Esan people they told me a lot of history about the Bini. I am from the Yoruba tribe.
Why are you a coward funmi, this is the one below i responded to , when did you add the other one funmi, whether Oranmiyan came to Bini or not, i would rather take this narrative for the present word Bini today than Ile-Ibinu

1 Like

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by funmijoyb(f): 12:53pm On Jan 01
Usenokpevbo:
Esans that are mixed with ika in Ekpon, mixed with Igala in Ilushi, Have droves of Igbo migrations in Uromi is not mixed ?
Or is it Yoruba that has loads of Edo mixture in Eastern yorubaland, loads of Fulani mixture in Ilorin, loads and loads of Bariba mixture in Ogbomosho, have mixture of returnee slaves in Lagos that is not mixed?
Esan is not mixed with Igala. When Bini wants to lie they will claim a Yoruboid group is involved. Igala language is 50% Yoruba while Itsekiris language is 70% lukumi is 75 percent. I cannot get lost when they're talking. Esan is purely distinct language devoid of all Yoruboid words. It needs preservation. It is unique

If you get any common words that is Esan being used in Yoruba it is own by Esan people e.g

Agbede means blacksmith in Yoruba.. We normally think is our word but I traced the origin to Esan.
Agogo means bells

Bini tribes has several Yoruba words they now think is theirs too lazy to find out the origin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Usenokpevbo: 1:17pm On Jan 01
funmijoyb:

Esan is not mixed with Igala. When Bini wants to lie they will claim a Yoruboid group is involved. Igala language is 50% Yoruba while Itsekiris language is 70% lukumi is 75 percent. I cannot get lost when they're talking. Esan is purely distinct language devoid of all Yoruboid words. It needs preservation. It is unique

If you get any common words that is Esan being used in Yoruba it is own by Esan people e.g

Agbede means blacksmith in Yoruba.. We normally think is our word but I traced the origin to Esan.
Agogo means bells

Bini tribes has several Yoruba words they now think is theirs too lazy to find out the origin.
ilushis people are Igala and they mostly identify as Esans. Igala is said to be Yoruboid, shares 64 percent lexical similarity with Yoruba.

Ekpon,an Esan group is heavily laced with ika, Uromi now uses the ch instead of k, that is not Edo.

My point here is this there is no pure group anywhere, i am very sure you don’t speak Edo and you are not in a place to say which is pure or which is not unless you are not sincere or you have a motive. Esan and Bini are almost identical. 1 -100 in both dialects are the same. How did you come up with the pure and impure narratives when we as Binis can almost hear 80 % at the very least depending on the clan for some it is more of what an Esan man is saying

I would wish you mention some of those “yoruba” words in Bini that is not in Esan, let’s verify,

Many other of those words are cognates
With careful research, you will be shocked to find out 50-60% or more are cognates between Yoruba-Igbo-Edo. Don’t be decieved

2 Likes

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Christistruth00: 2:05pm On Jan 01
funmijoyb:

They don't care about the Truth

They prefer a diet of Historical lies

They don't understand that History must be based on facts and Truth to guide future Generations from making the same Mistakes of the Past

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Usenokpevbo: 2:12pm On Jan 01
M
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by funmijoyb(f): 2:19pm On Jan 01
Usenokpevbo:
ilushis people are Igala and they mostly identify as Esans. Igala is said to be Yoruboid, shares 64 percent lexical similarity with Yoruba.

Ekpon,an Esan group is heavily laced with ika, Uromi now uses the ch instead of k, that is not Edo.

My point here is this there is no pure group anywhere, i am very sure you don’t speak Edo and you are not in a place to say which is pure or which is not unless you are not sincere or you have a motive. Esan and Bini are almost identical. 1 -100 in both dialects are the same. How did you come up with the pure and impure narratives when we as Binis can almost hear 80 % at the very least depending on the clan for some it is more of what an Esan man is saying

I would wish you mention some of those “yoruba” words in Bini that is not in Esan, let’s verify,

Many other of those words are cognates
With careful research, you will be shocked to find out 50-60% or more are cognates between Yoruba-Igbo-Edo. Don’t be decieved
Your point is quite understood here. Some of these Ilushis people are even bearing Yoruba names pointing to migrants from Lokoja or other parts of Kogi. Example Igala and Yoruba (Okun) are co-owner of towns in Kogi eg Lokoja. Some Igala and Ebira people often bear Yoruba names because of these close proximity or adaptation to the Yoruba. This is obvious in Ilushis. It means they're Esan+Igala+Yoruba.

In my previous comments I said Yoruba, Esan, Bini, Urobos and part of Igbo are from Pa Idu that migrated from Yoruba areas of Kogi and Osun making it unacceptable to call a Bini tribe Pa idu tribe but yet still we have unadulterated Esan people like Uromi, Ekpoma etc. many Esan in Igodomigodo now extinct or assimilated into different cultures by modern Bini tribe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by funmijoyb(f): 2:25pm On Jan 01
Yoruba words in Bini sometimes corrupted to Edo sounding...

Yoruba. Bini
Aje. Axen. Witch

Oba. Oba. King

Omo Omo. Child

Ologbo. Ologbo. Cat

Ogede. Ogede. Plantain

Igbo. Ugbo. Farm/Bush

Iye/Iya. Iye. Mother

Ada. Ada. Cutlass

Pepeye. Pepeye. Duck

Iyan Iyan. Pounded yam/ Yam

Adiye. Adiye. Chicken

Uyi. Uyi. Respect

Elede. Elede. Pig

Lekeleke. Lekeleke. One kinda white bird

These are Yoruba words in Bini and there are still several more

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Usenokpevbo: 2:26pm On Jan 01
funmijoyb:

Your point is quite understood here. Some of these Ilushis people are even bearing Yoruba names pointing to migrants from Lokoja or other parts of Kogi. Example Igala and Yoruba (Okun) are co-owner of towns in Kogi eg Lokoja. Some Igala and Ebira people often bear Yoruba names because of these close proximity or adaptation to the Yoruba. This is obvious in Ilushis. It means they're Esan+Igala+Yoruba.

In my previous comments I said Yoruba, Esan, Bini, Urobos and part of Igbo are from Pa Idu that migrated from Yoruba areas of Kogi and Osun making it unacceptable to call a Bini tribe Pa idu tribe but yet still we have unadulterated Esan people like Uromi, Ekpoma etc. many Esan in Igodomigodo now extinct or assimilated into different cultures by modern Bini tribe.
do you have any proof that These groups migrated from Kogi and Osun to form Bini

What are your proofs these groups formed Bini?

1 Like

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by funmijoyb(f): 2:35pm On Jan 01
Usenokpevbo:
do you have any proof that These groups migrated from Kogi and Osun to form Bini

The proof is the Origin of Pa idu tribes account of the story.

The Bini, Esan, Ijaw and Igbo of Onitsha have same accounts of Pa Idu migrated from (Uhe) Ile-Ife kingdom. That's Kogi and Osun when they were One.

Ijaw for example claimed Oduduwa as a result of Pa Idu.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by funmijoyb(f): 2:52pm On Jan 01
Usenokpevbo:

The subgroups formed Igodomigodo but later Oranmiyan came and found Benin which is today Igodomigodo subgroups plus Yoruba of present Kogi and Osun.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by samuk: 3:46pm On Jan 01
funmijoyb:

The subgroups formed Igodomigodo but later Oranmiyan came and found Benin which is today Igodomigodo subgroups plus Yoruba of present Kogi and Osun.

For the Sake of those that may be mislead by you guys.

1. Uhe (Ife) has nothing to do with Osun, Osun state is not mentioned anywhere in the story of Pa Idu, do not smuggle Osun state into the story. The story only referred to Kogi/Benin relationship. Osun state was not mentioned. The story of Pa Idu referred to another Ife in Kogi state not the Ife in Osun state.

2. I read Oba Erediawa book when it came out many years ago, I cannot remember seeing were he claimed that Obagodo or Ogiso had any relationship with Ife. I have the book somewhere but I will not bother looking for it, because if such was written in the book I would have remembered. If you have prove, screenshot the page and paste it here for all your see.

3. Even the palace version that acknowledged Oranmiyan in Benin, said he was there for only three months before he left because he didn't understand the language, tradition and customs of the Benin people. How did Oranmiyan found Benin when he met people on ground that he did understand their ways.

4. Benin palace said Oranmiyan was sent for because he was a Benin prince because he was the son/grandson of Ekaladerhan AKA Oduduwa.

5. Even if the story is true, nobody or tribe send for a total stranger to govern them.

6. Oranmiyan didn't bring war into Benin because Ife didn't have such army recorded in that period.

7. Ife and the entire yoruba people didn't haven independent eyewitnesses recorded history until 1824.

8. Yoruba independent European eyewitness historical accounts began in 1824.

9. Benin independent European eyewitness historical accounts began in late 1400s.

10. The gap between Benin history and yoruba history is 400 years. Benin history is 400 years older than yoruba verifiable history.

11. Whatever claims yoruba make, they will not be able to back it up with evidence that is older than 1824.

12. Benin can back up her history to the 1400s.

13. Benin history is far older than yoruba history.

14. All the dates associated with Oranmiyan and Oduduwa are provided by Benin because Benin history is much older than yoruba history whose records started in 1824. Yoruba rely on Benin for Oranmiyan and Oduduwa dates.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by funmijoyb(f): 5:43pm On Jan 01
samuk:

For the Sake of those that may be mislead by you guys.

1. Uhe (Ife) has nothing to do with Osun, Osun state is not mentioned anywhere in the story of Pa Idu, do not smuggle Osun state into the story. The story only referred to Kogi/Benin relationship. Osun state was not mentioned. The story of Pa Idu referred to another Ife in Kogi state not the Ife in Osun state.

2. I read Oba Erediawa book when it came out many years ago, I cannot remember seeing were he claimed that Obagodo or Ogiso had any relationship with Ife. I have the book somewhere but I will not bother looking for it, because if such was written in the book I would have remembered. If you have prove, screenshot the page and paste it here for all your see.

3. Even the palace version that acknowledged Oranmiyan in Benin, said he was there for only three months before he left because he didn't understand the language, tradition and customs of the Benin people. How did Oranmiyan found Benin when he met people on ground that he did understand their ways.

4. Benin palace said Oranmiyan was sent for because he was a Benin prince because he was the son/grandson of Ekaladerhan AKA Oduduwa.

5. Even if the story is true, nobody or tribe send for a total stranger to govern them.

6. Oranmiyan didn't bring war into Benin because Ife didn't have such army recorded in that period.

7. Ife and the entire yoruba people didn't haven independent eyewitnesses recorded history until 1824.

8. Yoruba independent European eyewitness historical accounts began in 1824.

9. Benin independent European eyewitness historical accounts began in late 1400s.

10. The gap between Benin history and yoruba history is 400 years. Benin history is 400 years older than yoruba verifiable history.

11. Whatever claims yoruba make, they will not be able to back it up with evidence that is older than 1824.

12. Benin can back up her history to the 1400s.

13. Benin history is far older than yoruba history.

14. All the dates associated with Oranmiyan and Oduduwa are provided by Benin because Benin history is much older than yoruba history whose records started in 1824. Yoruba rely on Benin for Oranmiyan and Oduduwa dates.
Don't know why you have been switching monikers to comment on this thread but is nothing but the Igbo DNA that's in you.

1 Nothing like Kogi that period sir. The whole of Kogi towns you are referring to were under Ife. The Ebira and Igala were under Ife kingdom. There's no another Ife in Kogi. Do your research.

2. Oranmiyan ruled Benin as an Oba for over 15 years. He was still an Oba till when Eweka was about 15 years. Oranmiyan left Bini upon the demised of the then Oba of Ile-Ife and Ife people invited him back being their commander and chief warrior of Ife kingdom to come and rule them. Oranmiyan preferred to be an Ooni compared to Oba of Benin reason he resigned and left with his Bini woman and his son Ado later known as Eweka.

After he became, the sixth Ooni of Ife his throne in Benin became vacant. Benin People started missing him they sent for him to return back to Bini but he offered them his son Ado instead . Ado was later known as Eweka to be the second Oba of Benin.
At the time Eweka was fluent in Yoruba and the Aboriginal language of Edo. That paved way for him to rule the Yoruba and the Edo in Benin successfully therefore uniting them further.

The gap between Ife Kingdom and Benin kingdom is more than 5000 years before the Ogiso not even your recent Oba

Obatala dynasty of Ile ife had more than 45 kings only that their names have been forgotten in history. Obatala was the last of his dynasty and 45th king of the dynasty before Oduduwa came.

Have told you truth will come it won't take long. You Igbos in Edo will see it and be shocked.

Ordinary Bini will be dragging history with Yoruba. You people are a tribe of Yesterday. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Usenokpevbo: 8:28pm On Jan 01
funmijoyb:

Yoruba. Bini

Omo Omo

Oba. Oba. King

i would be answering it in bit, it is not about the fact that there are not “Yoruba” words, it is about the fact that through your ignorance, you have not been able to decipher that some are shared words, cognate words between Yoruba , Edo and Igbo. and some are totally wrong, for what reason, you would want to do that, i don’t know. But there is need to clarify it.

Omo is used across all Edoid lect to mean a child, from Etsako to Esan to Bini to Urhobo, even as far as Engenni in rivers state. It is not exclusive to Binis alone. So much for your Esan pure dialects.

Oba is not the conventional word for king, it is not what an Edo man uses conventionally for king, that is why you will never see an Edo man use it to address or style himself in European cities where where we have population, or they will use it to style kings in our Edo local movie industry. Ogie is the conventional Edo word for king.

3 Likes

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Usenokpevbo: 8:41pm On Jan 01
funmijoyb:

Yoruba. Bini
Aje. Axen. Witch

Ologbo. Ologbo. Cat

Azen is also the word for witch in Esan, so much for the pure dialect.

Ologbo as a word is a cognate word for cat from Igbo to Yoruba to Edo to Urhobo, Esan etc it has it variations from Nwologbo to Onogbo to Ologbo. It was not borrowed, it is not a Yoruba word sorry. It is a kwa word for yeai group of languages

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Usenokpevbo: 8:57pm On Jan 01
funmijoyb:

Ogede. Ogede. Plantain

Igbo. Ugbo. Farm/Bush

A simple study also made me unravel that Oghede is also a shared word between Yoruba, Igbo and Edo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AoRItfvSo0?si=QXwK05sXSuBlJoai

Ugbo or Igbo as a word is used across almost all ethnic groups in southern parts of Nigeria. From Edo to Esan to Urhobo to Igbo to Yoruba. It has its variations from Igbo to ugbo, it is definitely without any iota of doubt a shared word or rather a cognate word for yeai group of languages

4 Likes

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Usenokpevbo: 9:10pm On Jan 01
funmijoyb:

Yoruba Bini

Ishu. Ishu. Pounded yam/ Yam

Adiye. Adiye. Chicken

both of them are wrong, this is a testament to the fact that many of you are imposters

Yoruba Bini

Ishu Ishu pounded yam, this is wrong for the Binis, In Benin, pounded yam is called Eman, it is the same with the Esan Eman. In fact there is no word as Ishu in Benin

Adiye. Adiye chicken. According to you, this is chicken in Benin, not only is it wrong, there is no word as Adiye in Benin, the word for chicken is Okhorkor, which is a cognate word between Yoruba, Edo and Igbo

2 Likes

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Usenokpevbo: 10:07pm On Jan 01
Us
funmijoyb:

Iye/Iya. Iye. Mother

Ada. Ada. Cutlass

Pepeye. Pepeye. Duck

Uyi. Uyi. Respect

Elede. Elede. Pig

Yoruba BINI
IYE/IYA IYE mother This is true, this one was certainly gotten from Ekiti, we related with them, founded a lot of towns there. Ekiti call it IYE.

Ada Ada Cutlass. Ada is not the word for cutlass in Bini, it is opia, it is called the same in Esan and Urhobo. Ada is a sword, we do not use it today because no one uses sword for anything except for fighting in those days.

Iyi Uyi Respect. I will give you this. The Esan uses the word Tiger (Ekpen)as a pictorial representation of respect and that is totally intelligible to the Binis

Elede Elede Pig . It is correct, it is also used in Esan alongside with Une

Pepeye Ekpekpeye. It is also the same in Esan, it is not peculiar to Bini alone. This video is an expose on that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZsQ85BEjq4?si=oCT0gVjESZ_-7IcA
Anywhere from three minutes

2 Likes

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Usenokpevbo: 10:29pm On Jan 01
funmijoyb:

The proof is the Origin of Pa idu tribes account of the story.

The Bini, Esan, Ijaw and Igbo of Onitsha have same accounts of Pa Idu migrated from (Uhe) Ile-Ife kingdom. That's Kogi and Osun when they were One.

Ijaw for example claimed Oduduwa as a result of Pa Idu.

Idu and Oduduwa are two different personalities.

Not only is Idu regarded in Benin as our ancestor, everything that revolves around the core of Benin traces to Idu, there are shrines, families with the salutation La-Idu which traces their genealogy to this Idu as a person.

Also, there are names Binis still bore till today which signifies that this Idu was our progenitor who lived and died and become our core ancestor,

I will finally use names to cement this point, there are Binis who still have these names and surnames to reference pa idu in our core history and foundation.

E.g
Iduhon- Idu hears
Iduriase-Idu did right
Idubor-idu bless or favored us
Idugbowa- idu bestowed prosperity on me
Etc these are names you can google right now, from Facebook and whatever search engine, and it will bring result of people bearing these names.

Idu is beyond history for us, it is the core of who we are as a people. I don’t think there is any ethnic group with so much reference point to Idu in the southern part of Nigeria as much as Bini.

4 Likes

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by samuk: 11:55pm On Jan 01
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by samuk: 11:57pm On Jan 01
FACTS ABOUT PA IDU

1. Pa Idu was born at Ogbe N’Alaka a place that eventually became the homestead of later Ogiso’s and Oba’s of Benin.
2. Pa Idu father was known as Ere (not to be mistaken as Ogiso Ere) he was the founder of Uhunmwundumwun (premier town), a place hundreds of years later Ogiso Ere moved the palace to from Ugbekun. Pa Idu father Ere, is where the ancient word Otamere (evening tide favored Ere) was created from.
3. Pa Idu is generally accepted as the Progenitor of the Benin race and all its descendants because the chroniclers of our remembered history, Ughoron; popularize his name above other native indigenes of which Idu came out from.
4. Pa Idu had three sons: Akka, Efa and Emehi. Efa and Emehi are the fathers of the modern day Benin population,
5. Through legitimacy of ancient ownership the Efa and Emehi families are the owners of Edo land as every other families came from them.
6. Pa Idu died at Uhe(not to be mistaken as Ile-Ife) present day Igala areas of Kogi State and was referred to as Oghene N’Uhe by the earliest Benin natives, he was deified as a Priest King. The Chief priest and scepter bearer of the Oghene N’ Uhe shrine, Azama; followed Akka, Efa and Emehi back to Benin land and a replica of the shrine was built here in Benin land, the descendants of the Azama N’Uhe are the Oloton family of Benin and they are the custodian of the scepter of authority of Pa Idu carried by Azama and bequeathed to the descendants of Efa and Emehi.
7. Earliest Portuguese referred to Oghene N’Uhe(Pa Idu) as “Ogane” the great potentate of the interior.
8. All Ogisos starting from Ere to Oba Ewuare I all went on pilgrimage visit to pay respect to their progenitor at Uhe, a sort of confirmation and spiritual renewal ritual. A ritual also conducted by Ikaladerhan before he became a ruler in Ile-Ife.
9. When the later Oba’s of Benin discovered the complexity of the pilgrimage visit and the decline of the Uhe town they created “Erinmwidu” a replica of Oghene N’ Uhe Shrine and made it Royalty. Hence Erinmwidu is the royal deity of the Benin people.
10. Idusere, Idusogie, Idugbowa etc. reaffirm the Benin native ownership of Idu ideology hence Idu is Benin, Benin is Idu.

Let the legacies of Pa Idu be remembered by us all his children.
Pa Idu gha to kpere. Ise
Oba gha to kpere. Ise

Written by
Imasuen Amowie Izoduwa

1 Like

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by AreaFada2: 6:11pm On Jan 02
funmijoyb:

First and foremost Benin is not a single tribe is combination of tribes of Esan, Ijaw, Idu and Yoruba people's merger. The Aborigines of Igodomigodo are the Esan people. before, many Yoruba had migrated into it and requested for a king from Ile-Ife to come and rule them. Oranmiyan a Yoruba prince and warrior came and defeated the Esan's Ogiso and chiefs of Igodomigodo. To make it a Yoruba town, he renamed the town he ruled Ile Ibinu in Yoruba language and imposed Obaship a Yoruba title on his new territory in an attempt to make it a Yoruba land just like other territories and towns founded by many Ile-ife princes
Till today Bini has a lot of Yoruba words used with Esan and other Igodomigodo languages.

Oranmiyan founded the new tribe "Bini" that is composition of Igodomigodo tribes eg Yoruba, Esan, Ijaw and Idu people. These combination of cultures and tradition is what you're calling Bini today.
Bini people are not of a single tribe. Yoruba played a vital role on Ile ibinu cultures and traditions.
In fact, many Yoruba sees it as a Yoruba land till today.

cheesy grin grin grin grin
I can see you follow some Esan nationalists, some Ogiamie people and others online.
Nothing like Esan until they left Benin. It was a name given them for leaving.

Now, no tribe is totally homogeneous. Yoruba as a name didn't even exist 350 years ago and Yoruba people of today are even more diverse genetically than most tribes: Tapa, Benin, Gbagyi, Hausa and others are all there.

Yes, Yoruba now has more cultural homogeneity but largely driven by politics. Having learnt from the civil wars that devasted Yorubaland in the 18th and 19th centuries.

You need to know that Benin people do not call themselves Benin. It doesn't exist as an identity. It is Ovbi-Edo. Unu no z'Edo (Edo speaker).
Benin as a name was never forced on Edo and not even used traditionally by the people. Outsiders used the name in the way we call Japan or China those names. Japanese and Chinese don't call themselves those names.

Oranmiyan never waged any war. He was a Benin prince via his dad, Prince Ekaladerhan/Izoduwa.

All Benin wars are carefully documented in art, songs and poetry. Even those wars in which Benin suffered quite considerable losses.

This is the insincerity I find in our SW people. I said I will give you 2 solid places in SW verifiably founded by Benin people, to do at your own leisure and you now shifted position. There are many more places of course. It means you are not in reality interested in the truth at all. You seem afraid to confirm the fact because it won't fit into your narrative.

AutomaticMotors
Gregyboy
Ghostwon
samuk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by funmijoyb(f): 7:18pm On Jan 02
AreaFada2:

cheesy grin grin grin grin
I can see you follow some Esan nationalists, some Ogiamie people and others online.
Nothing like Esan until they left Benin. It was a name given them for leaving.

Now, no tribe is totally homogeneous. Yoruba as a name didn't even exist 350 years ago and Yoruba people of today are even more diverse genetically that most tribes: Tapa, Benin, Gbagyi, Hausa and others are all there.

Yes, Yoruba now has more cultural homogeneity but largely driven by politics. Having learnt from the civil wars that devasted Yorubaland in the 18th and 19th centuries.

You need to know that Benin people do not call themselves Benin. It doesn't exist as an identity. It is Ovbi-Edo. Unu no z'Edo (Edo speaker).
Benin as a name was never forced on Edo and not even used traditionally by the people. Outsiders used the name in the way we call Japan or China those names. Japanese and Chinese don't call themselves those names.

Oranmiyan never waged any war. He was a Benin prince via his dad, Prince Ekaladerhan/Izoduwa.

All Benin wars are carefully documented in art, songs and poetry. Even those wars in which Benin suffered quite considerable losses.

This is the insincerity I find in our SW people. I said I will give you 2 solid places in SW verifiably founded by Benin people, to do at your own leisure and you now shifted position. There are many more places of course. It means you are not in reality interested in the truth at all. You seem afraid to confirm the fact because it won't fit into your narrative.

AutomaticMotors
Gregyboy
Ghostwon
samuk
Bini founded no where in SW sir no sentiment attached. Go read d meaning of "Founded "
If Benin founded anywhere in SW, the titled of the king palace will be an Ogiso not Oba. We have Benin documentation of when Oranmiyan came to Benin...he came on Eshin (horse) he was the one that introduced horse to Benin. Ekaladeran ended in Esan land not Yoruba land go and ask Esan people.

Have lived with truthful Edo people I know what they told me not Oba Erediawa and his son's lies.
Truth will come and disgrace Oba Benin lies very soon.
Oba Erediawa lied and falsified Bini history against the Yoruba to the extent he couldn't travel out of his palace . He his not in the good book of the Yoruba like his father Akensua.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by AutomaticMotors: 8:23pm On Jan 02
funmijoyb:

Bini founded no where in SW sir no sentiment attached. Go read d meaning of "Founded "
If Benin founded anywhere in SW, the titled of the king palace will be an Ogiso not Oba. We have Benin documatation of when Oranmiyan came to Benin...he came on Eshin (horse) he was the one that introduced horse to Benin. Ekaladeran ended in Esan land not Yoruba land go and ask Esan people.

Have lived with truthful Edo people I know what they told me not Oba Erediawa and his son's lies.
Truth will come and disgrace Oba Benin lies very soon.
Oba Erediawa lied and falsified Bini history against the Yoruba to the extent he couldn't leave his palace. He his not in the good book of the Yoruba like his father Akensua.

You this Yoruba people no dey tire with your lies and comical fairytales? Beginning of 2024 just look at the rubbish you typed! Mr man look at the reply you quoted and look at your post? Look at it twice and tell me you are not ashamed of your IQ deficiency..... You all are beyond saving by God at this point.... Rubbish
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by funmijoyb(f): 9:32pm On Jan 02
AutomaticMotors:

You this Yoruba people no dey tire with your lies and comical fairytales? Beginning of 2024 just look at the rubbish you typed! Mr man look at the reply you quoted and look at your post? Look at it twice and tell me you are not ashamed of your IQ deficiency..... You all are beyond saving by God at this point.... Rubbish
Why are u so mad cause of the truth...Oba Akenzua was the last real Oba of Benin the rest are impostors of Ogiso.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by AutomaticMotors: 9:50pm On Jan 02
funmijoyb:

Why are u so mad cause of the truth...Oba Akenzua was the last real Oba of Benin the rest are impostors of Ogiso.

How dare you!!!! You must be mad and insane!!
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by funmijoyb(f): 9:39pm On Jan 04
AutomaticMotors:

I am telling the truth you're getting angry who your anger help? Go to Lagos and tell the Yoruba their Oba of Benin founded them they will disagree and flog you out of Lagos.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by AKPAMA211: 5:43am On Jan 05
AreaFada2:

Now, no tribe is totally homogeneous. Yoruba as a name didn't even exist 350 years ago and Yoruba people of today are even more diverse genetically than most tribes: Tapa, Benin, Gbagyi, Hausa and others are all there.

how you know a tribe or an ethnic group that is not a single people is how disconnected their tongues are, kperogi once narrated how he was lost in Ekiti and sought for direction from an oldman with the Oyo Yoruba tongue and was taken aback because the old man couldn’t comprehend because he spoke and understood Ekiti alone. He had to look for someone who could communicate in Oyo Yoruba in that Ekiti community to communicate his problems to. I have seen many Yorubas complain about Owo too.

People that can’t go to the next community in their tribe without using their central tongue will have the guts to call others mixed when in fact they are the most “mixed”disjointed and fragmented of all groups, and also the most receptive of other tribes and people into their fold. Very wonderful something grin

This Bini dialect below is the Ozanogogo dialect spoken in delta state. A lay Bini man with 70% knowledge of the Benin language would understand 80% of what this girl is saying. A Bini man from Edo state looking for direction in Ozanogogo delta state would not have a problem communicating with the locals because of dialect issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQl2LtJi-dI?si=o_1itZfIxb5b122W

Even in Alisor in delta state, they speak this same Oza dialect of the Bini language, a Bini man looking for direction in Alisor would also not get missing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI8e8WvAKPQ?si=6lrPmU3lx36wR0zg

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 11:54pm On Apr 08
Usenokpevbo:
Us

Yoruba BINI
IYE/IYA IYE mother This is true, this one was certainly gotten from Ekiti, we related with them, founded a lot of towns there. Ekiti call it IYE.

Ada Ada Cutlass. Ada is not the word for cutlass in Bini, it is opia, it is called the same in Esan and Urhobo. Ada is a sword, we do not use it today because no one uses sword for anything except for fighting in those days.

Iyi Uyi Respect. I will give you this. The Esan uses the word Tiger (Ekpen)as a pictorial representation of respect and that is totally intelligible to the Binis

Elede Elede Pig . It is correct, it is also used in Esan alongside with Une

Pepeye Ekpekpeye. It is also the same in Esan, it is not peculiar to Bini alone. This video is an expose on that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZsQ85BEjq4?si=oCT0gVjESZ_-7IcA
Anywhere from three minutes

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 9:55pm On Apr 19
samuk:
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/12/the-benin-prince-who-founded-ile-ife/
This Vanguard newspaper article is absolutely false!

NO Benin prince ever founded Ile Ife.

Second Ife or Ufe has always been in existence with other two other ruling dynasties before the rise of the current Oduduwa dynasty according to the current Ooni of Ife in a 2022 interview he granted.

Third, the Ogiame family also AFFIRMED in a 2018 Guardian newspaper interview that the Oba of Benin is of Yoruba descent as can be read from the Website below:

=>https://guardian.ng/features/ogiso-and-ogiamien-are-aborigine-binis-while-oba-of-benin-is-of-yoruba-descent-high-chief-esotericist-monday-wehere/
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 9:59pm On Apr 19
funmijoyb:

First and foremost Benin is not a single tribe is combination of tribes of Esan, Ijaw, Idu and Yoruba people's merger. The Aborigines of Igodomigodo are the Esan people. before, many Yoruba had migrated into it and requested for a king from Ile-Ife to come and rule them. Oranmiyan a Yoruba prince and warrior came and defeated the Esan's Ogiso and chiefs of Igodomigodo. To make it a Yoruba town, he renamed the town he ruled Ile Ibinu in Yoruba language and imposed Obaship a Yoruba title on his new territory in an attempt to make it a Yoruba land just like other territories and towns founded by many Ile-ife princes
Till today Bini has a lot of Yoruba words used with Esan and other Igodomigodo languages.

Oranmiyan founded the new tribe "Bini" that is composition of Igodomigodo tribes eg Yoruba, Esan, Ijaw and Idu people. These combination of cultures and tradition is what you're calling Bini today.
Bini people are not of a single tribe. Yoruba played a vital role on Ile ibinu cultures and traditions.
In fact, many Yoruba sees it as a Yoruba land till today.
The Ogiame family also AFFIRMED in a 2018 Guardian newspaper interview that the Oba of Benin is of Yoruba descent as can be read from the Website below:

=>https://guardian.ng/features/ogiso-and-ogiamien-are-aborigine-binis-while-oba-of-benin-is-of-yoruba-descent-high-chief-esotericist-monday-wehere/
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 10:05pm On Apr 19
funmijoyb:

I can give you 10 towns founded by Yoruba in Edo state but Yoruba are just not claiming they own the state.
Aside from Usen, what others Yoruba towns were founded in the present Edo State?

A guy here on NL from Usen was briefly lamenting here on NL about 4 years ago, that his people wanted to join Ondo State in a boundary adjustment but the Oba of Benin had prevented them from doing so. There's a lot of politics in the Yoruba/Bini-Edo intercourse tbh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

There Is No Ethical Relativism, But Anarchy And Fanaticism / Child Marriage ( A Grave Injustice To Our Children) / Why Do Africa Think Its ENTITLED To Foreign Aid?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.