Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,473 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife (1571 Views)

Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos / Oranmiiyan Was The Son Of A Benin Prince Who Was Exiled / Shilekunola Moronke Naomi Leads Praise & Worship At Ooni's Palace In Ile-ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 10:07pm On Apr 19
UGBE634:
there is nothing like Obagodo, don’t be a fool, there was no Yoruba presence in Benin kingdom pre Oba dynasty. It is istrictly Ogiso igodo. The way it is pronounced by people propagating the Obagodo already renders it useless. How will you have Ogiso ”Oba”godo alongside, it already renders it useless. That would mean king king godo
Just to add to your convo here:

The Ogiame family AFFIRMED in a 2018 Guardian newspaper interview that the Oba of Benin lineage is of Yoruba descent as can be read from the Website below:

=>https://guardian.ng/features/ogiso-and-ogiamien-are-aborigine-binis-while-oba-of-benin-is-of-yoruba-descent-high-chief-esotericist-monday-wehere/
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 10:26pm On Apr 19
UGBE634:
Benin is a single tribe with influence from other tribe just like Yoruba with influence and migrations from Bariba, Nupe, Edo, Fulani, returnee slaves from other countries and all.

You guys like to regurgitate things in ignorance, you read and listen to nonsense online and regurgitate without research. There is no Esan community older than urhonigbe or Udo and these are pure Bini communities. I dare you there is almost no word that is in the Bini lexicon, that is not also in Esan, yet again many of these words are cognates between Edo/Igbo/yoruba, e.g Okhorkor, Ologbo etc an ignorant person will just observe for Edo and Yoruba and not bother to check Igbo if there is a version of it there and assume it was borrowed.If you understand Edo, even if it is two percent, you will know Esan is the corruption and not Edo. If you observe how these clans migrated from Benin, the period in view, you would find out that the closest to Benin linguistically in Esanland according to their oral accounts migrated the latest. Igueben, Urohi till today is still 85 to 90 percent Bini.

Bini or Edo is a full tribe with linguistic presence in about 8,500km square expanse of land. Esan is spoken in a little under 3000 km 2 of land.tell me which is more dominant and visible. Oranmiyan’s presence does not extend beyond Benin city and a section of the western part,(bear in mind that 90% of Binis residents in Benin city are from other Bini villages and towns,)In fact Oranmiyan sank in the Edo sea on ground.

Esan does not have an Ogiso, at best they experienced it with us, again Ogiso is peculiar to Bini/Edo. If Esan is to replicate in writing, it would be Ojiso, then the Urhobos would be Oviso,these are the three largest Edo groups in the Edoid linguistic space. That would already cement Edo/Bini as one of the three major languages in the Edoid linguistic space with it own unique pattern and structure.

This is corroborated by the fact that the Olu of Warri that migrated in the fifteenth century is styled the Bini title of king “Ogie” and not Ovie or Ojie the Urhobo and Esan version respectively. He is titled Ogiame tsuo and not Ojiame or Oviame, that is an Edo/Bini linguistic marker
Indeed, the Ogiame family also AFFIRMED in a 2018 Guardian newspaper interview that the Oba of Benin is of Yoruba descent as can be read from the Website below:

=>https://guardian.ng/features/ogiso-and-ogiamien-are-aborigine-binis-while-oba-of-benin-is-of-yoruba-descent-high-chief-esotericist-monday-wehere/

Esan means to run or flee. The Esans used to be in Benin before relocating to there current locations due to upheavals. I read this fact many years ago and indeed Bini and Esan words are very close.

Interestingly, the Yoruba word "SA" means to run or flee. "O SA" could be interpreted as to run or flee a location.

Just a point of correction:

It wasn't "returnee slaves" (sic) that returned BUT it was liberated returnee Yoruba ex-slaves and their free-born descendants that returned to Yorubaland from foreign countries such as Brazil, Cuba, Sierra Leone, Trinidad, United States via Liberia in the case of the 2 Vaughan brothers who were both born in South Carolina and who's father was an Egba Prince that got captured just after 1800 and taken to work on a plantation in South Carolina, where he eventually got liberated by his boss, etc.

1 Like

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 10:48pm On Apr 19
UGBE634:
Oba Erediuwa is a Yoruboid Benin or seem to be one, the version of history from the palace has always been Yoruboid, if you tell this to the ogiamens and the core Binis, it is laughable to us, that has always been my stand here, i have been vocal about it, to your serious scholars here, scholes, etc not you that feed from crumbs.even to my own kinsmen areafada a Yoruboid Bini and to all other of my kinsmen here.

It has even caused me hatred, it is the palace version here that has always led to this back and forth and what we would term the yorubanization of Edo history

Bini did not have anything to do with Ife pre oba dynasty!!!!!!!!!!! Tell it to the Ogiamens and see them look at you as a clown. This is a family that actually thinks the Oba of Benin came from Yorubaland and they rented some parts of their land to him

The Ogiamen family is a might family, not a push aside, a visible one to all Nigerians, visibly opposed to the Obas family, in fact at every coronation of a new Oba, some Ogiamen family members are arrested because of scuffle between them and the Oba’s family.
You can’t do selective research on issues and be whole, you leave the Oba Erediuawa ikaladerhan story and you take the Obagodo, you claimed the first one is a blunder and the second one is not.

You quote the ogiamens when they say the Oba is a foreigner, won’t you bother to think about what they have to say about the Ogisos also, or it does not matter, that of the Oba whose story has been seen to be faulty on many grounds would do now because it suit your skewed narrative
You spoke in near-absolute FACTS here.

An insightful feedback from you.
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 11:07pm On Apr 19
funmijoyb:

Usen in Edo was founded by Oranmiyan senior brother by seeing this I know your historian (Yoruba Haters) will now go to their village to falsify their history for them. Usen founded about eight other towns and are in Benin today. Their first language were Ife dialect.

Idu people is not an ethnic group it comprises the Urohbo, Yoruba, Esan, Ijaw even Igbo they migrated from Yoruba land area of Kogi and Osun to their respective lands is multi ethnicity not a tribe. Esan are more Idu people compared to you
You need to tell me your tribe before you became Bini
Elawure of Usen. I once read that Chief Gabriel Igbinedion's mother is an indigene of Usen. I read that when they greet one another, they do so by asking: "How is uhe (Ife)?" in the dialect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 11:15pm On Apr 19
PoliteActivist:
Seems Binis founded all major cities in Yoruba
ALL major Yoruba cities? That's an incorrect assertion. All the Yoruba cities were founded by Yorubas.

The Bini involvement in Eastern Yorubaland was more of settlement in ALREADY existing Yoruba towns as long-distance traders and big time Yoruba long-distance traders also settled and traded in the different parts of the Benin Empire. Existing Yoruba towns such as Akure, Owo and Igbara Odo for instance had Bini trader settlers who lived and traded between Yorubaland and Benin kingdom.

The late Professor Sophie Oluwole is a descendant of Bini trader settlers in Igbara Odo now in Ekiti State.

Read the article below:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 11:26pm On Apr 19
AreaFada2:

I have said for years that unless our Yoruba people come up with a more objective and credible story on Oduduwa, objective outsiders will consider Edo version way more credible. Even by many diaspora Yoruba that were not fed on tribalism. They will seek to know what is more scientifically plausible. But I was shouted down. It's beginning to happen.

Read the article below to get a hang of the real historical FACTS from the Ogiame family indicating that the Oba of Benin's Royal lineages is of direct Yoruba descent:

Second, the current Ooni of Ife granted an interview to Saturday Punch in 2022 and he CLEARLY stated that there were 2 other ruling dynasties with kings in Ife before the rise of the 3rd dynasty called the Oduduwa dynasty. Oduduwa came from the Oke Oranfe area and was Yoruba. The mythology in Ile-Ife or Yoruba historical events should not be taken as literal history but are symbolic just like you see in different cultures and religions around the world that tell stories in metaphors, so, these metaphors have to be decoded to convey a message.

There were people inhabiting what is now Ife today even before the rise of the Oduduwa dynasty according to the current Ooni of Ife.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by AreaFada2: 11:29am On Apr 20
Konquest:

Read the article below to get a hang of the real historical FACTS from the Ogiame family indicating that the Oba of Benin's Royal lineages is of direct Yoruba descent:

Second, the current Ooni of Ife granted an interview to Saturday Punch in 2022 and he CLEARLY stated that there were 2 other ruling dynasties with kings in Ife before the rise of the 3rd dynasty called the Oduduwa dynasty. Oduduwa came from the Oke Oranfe area and was Yoruba. The mythology in Ile-Ife or Yoruba historical events should not be taken as literal history but are symbolic just like you see in different cultures and religions around the world that tell stories in metaphors, so, these metaphors have to be decoded to convey a message.

There were people inhabiting what is now Ife today even before the rise of the Oduduwa dynasty according to the current Ooni of Ife.

So, a matrilineal guy (with a bit of money) from Ogiamien family and with the recognised Chief Ogiamien missing for years now tells a story and that is your plausible version of history? First ask them to present the young man installed as chief Ogiamien to come and tell his family history. There is a full book on Ogiamien in Benin. Go and read it in full, not this online nonsense you see.

My point is that there are too many versions of Oduduwa. The Ooni can say anything just like anybody else but we need a consistent version. I have a stake in it. I have a direct Oduduwa link through a different Yoruba dynasty.

1 Like

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 7:32pm On Apr 21
AreaFada2:

So, a matrilineal guy (with a bit of money) from Ogiamien family and with the recognised Chief Ogiamien missing for years now tells a story and that is your plausible version of history? First ask them to present the young man installed as chief Ogiamien to come and tell his family history. There is a full book on Ogiamien in Benin. To and read it in full, not this online nonsense you see.

My point is that there are too many versions of Oduduwa. The Ooni can say anything just like anybody else but we need a consistent version. I have a stake in it. I have a direct Oduduwa link through a different Yoruba dynasty.
@AreaFada2, how's it going?

What's the name of the book on the Ogiamien lineage that you stated here? I would like to read it and gain more insights.

Second, I agree that a near-absolute and consistent version of the Ile Ife/Benin linkages are needed to avoid regurgitations of amateurish-sounding stories.

It's interesting you say you have a stake in the Oduduwa link through a different Yoruba dynasty... Are you saying here you are a Bini-Edo with a Yoruba dynasty linkage or what.

Also, I saw where you said there are towns that were founded by Edos in eastern Yorubaland but I can't think of any tbh, but you can LIST them here. I do know that the already existing towns of Akure, Ikere-Ekiti, Ado-Ekiti, Owo, Ido Ani, had some Bini immigrant influences centuries back and some kingship tussles exist in a place like Ikere-Ekiti where you have 2 kings with one being of Ikere-Ekiti aborigene descent and the other Oba who came much later from Benin.

I also read a historical account in a news article from the Oba of Ido Ani in Ondo State who is a retired Army General that Oranmiyan's cousin who followed him from Ife to Benin centuries ago, left Benin afterwards and settled in Ido Ani (the maternal hometown of the iconic former UPN Governor of the defunct Bendel State, Professor Ambrose Folorunso Alli's mother) which already existed.

I've been an absolute lover of genealogical, ancestral DNA testings, and world history for decades now, so, I'd like you to expand a little more on what you mean in especially your last paragraph.
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Christistruth00: 8:18pm On Apr 21
Obagodo of Ile Ife founded Benin and the Ogiso dynasty

That was why when they got into Trouble it was to Ile Ife they returned for a king

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 1:27pm On Apr 22
Christistruth00:
Obagodo of Ile Ife founded Benin and the Ogiso dynasty

That was why when they got into Trouble it was to Ile Ife they returned for a king
That's a fascinating post you made right there with screenshots.

The member of Ogiamien family who was interviewed in the 2018 article below gives the impression that Ogiso dynasty is now refered to as Ogiamien and that the Obaship of Benin is of Yoruba descent. If Ogiso was founded by Obagodo from Ile Ife in Yorubaland, then it presupposes that Ogiso (now Ogiamien is of Yoruba descent too according to your post).

1 Like

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Christistruth00: 1:40pm On Apr 22
Konquest:

That's a fascinating post you made right there with screenshots.

The member of Ogiamien family who was interviewed in the 2018 article below gives the impression that Ogiso dynasty is now refered to as Ogiamien and that the Obaship of Benin is of Yoruba descent. If Ogiso was founded by Obagodo from Ile Ife in Yorubaland, then it presupposes that Ogiso (now Ogiamien is of Yoruba descent too according to your post).

The Ogiso dynasty itself was from Ile Ife but they were the Original Land owners and at least 31 Ogiso had rules
Igodomigodo now called Benin before Prince Oranmiyan was sent from Ile Ife to set up a new Oba dynasty

That was the reason why when the Ogiso dynasty ran into trouble it was too Ile Ife the people returned for another King

It was the Pre Oduduwa dynasty of Obatala Ife Kings that sent out the Princes that founded Owo, Benin and
all the Ifon Towns all over Yorubaland, and also founded the Ijebu, Ijesha, Owu and Ekiti Clans,
Oduduwa afterwards successfully continued the practice of sending out Ife Princes to found New Kingdoms and improved on it greatly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 2:10pm On Apr 22
Christistruth00:

The Ogiso dynasty itself was from Ile Ife but they were the Original Land owners and at least 31 Ogiso had rules
Igodomigodo now called Benin before Prince Oranmiyan was sent from Ile Ife to set up a new Oba dynasty

That was the reason why when the Ogiso dynasty ran into trouble it was too Ile Ife the people returned for another King

It was the Pre Oduduwa dynasty of Obatala Ife Kings that sent out the Princes that founded Owo, Benin and all the Ifon Towns all over Yorubaland, and also founded the Ijebu, Ijesha, Owu and Ekiti Clans, Oduduwa afterwards successfully continued the practice of sending out Ife Princes to found New Kingdoms and improved on it greatly
Thanks for the insightful feedback.

With reference to your last paragraph, do you also agree that Oduduwa came originally from an area called Oke Oranfe in Ondo State to establish his new dynasty in Ife as stated somewhere on this forum?

I too have wondered for decades why the Ogiso would send for someone from Ife to rule over them. There had to have been a cultural or trade relationship between Ife and Igodomigo before that.

But then again, the aboriginals in Igodomigo definitely are of a different ethnic stock and that is why the Benin-Edo language or lingo is completely different from the Yoruba language in terms of tonality and more. Although with both the Oranmiyan dynasty and Eweka dynasty in Benin kingdom as the first and second Oba's of Benin (according to the current Oba Ewuare II in his coronation day speech on the 20th of October 2016), we can see an inflow of Yoruba religion, culture and names into the Benin-Edo society with the presence of Oba's market like what you find in other Yoruba kingdoms, Ogun, Osun, Aiyelala, and Yoruba was a palace or court language in the Benin kingdom and later Benin Empire.

1 Like

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by AreaFada2: 11:17pm On Apr 22
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by AreaFada2: 11:22pm On Apr 22
Konquest:

@AreaFada2, how's it going?

What's the name of the book on the Ogiamien lineage that you stated here? I would like to read it and gain more insights.

Second, I agree that a near-absolute and consistent version of the Ile Ife/Benin linkages are needed to avoid regurgitations of amateurish-sounding stories.

It's interesting you say you have a stake in the Oduduwa link through a different Yoruba dynasty... Are you saying here you are a Bini-Edo with a Yoruba dynasty linkage or what.

Also, I saw where you said there are towns that were founded by Edos in eastern Yorubaland but I can't think of any tbh, but you can LIST them here. I do know that the already existing towns of Akure, Ikere-Ekiti, Ado-Ekiti, Owo, Ido Ani, had some Bini immigrant influences centuries back and some kingship tussles exist in a place like Ikere-Ekiti where you have 2 kings with one being of Ikere-Ekiti aborigene descent and the other Oba who came much later from Benin.

I also read a historical account in a news article from the Oba of Ido Ani in Ondo State who is a retired Army General that Oranmiyan's cousin who followed him from Ife to Benin centuries ago, left Benin afterwards and settled in Ido Ani (the maternal hometown of the iconic former UPN Governor of the defunct Bendel State, Professor Ambrose Folorunso Alli's mother) which already existed.

I've been an absolute lover of genealogical, ancestral DNA testings, and world history for decades now, so, I'd like you to expand a little more on what you mean in especially your last paragraph.

Here is a picture of the original regalia of the Oba of one of the places founded by Edo people in Eastern Yorubaland. The very oldest quarter of this Kingdom was settled by Benin/Edo people. And later Edo people. In recent decades, as has become trendy, they have now said one of the quarters was later settled in by people from Ife. Do a bit of homework on it. That is how to truly learn.

Sorry, pic too big.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by AutomaticMotors: 11:32pm On Apr 22
Konquest It seems you are bi polar with mental craw craw grin cheesy because it is obvious that this moniker Konquest and Christistruth00 is one and the same person talking to himself and liking his comments on this thread

Uhundan!!
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 11:40pm On Apr 22
AutomaticMotors:
Konquest It seems you are bi polar with mental craw craw grin cheesy because it is obvious that this moniker Konquest and Christistruth00 is one and the same person talking to himself and liking his comments on this thread

Uhundan!!
C'mon don't say that... that's ridiculous and an insult to refer to me as a bipolar.

Some of you just come online and make spurious and defamatory comments against responsible folks that you don't even know because we share the same platform... Do you realize that you're talking to a responsible man and well-traveled man who is over 50 years of age? You have to wake up!

I'm not the same person with @Christistruth00.

Last but not least, I came across this thread and since I have a great interesting in world history, I decided to read and ask questions from those whose have posted here.
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 11:45pm On Apr 22
AreaFada2:

Here is a picture of the original regalia of the Oba of one of the places founded by Edo people in Eastern Yorubaland. The very oldest quarter of this Kingdom was settled by Benin/Edo people. And later Edo people. In recent decades, as has become trendy, they have now said one of the quarters was later settled in by people from Ife. Do a bit of homework on it. That is how to truly learn.

Sorry, pic too big.
Thanks for the feedback @Areafada2

What's the name of the Eastern Yoruba town you're referring to here? Sure, as an adult who is NOT averse to detailed investigations, I can take my research away from there.

Perhaps you can shrink the picture before attaching it here or give me the link to see the picture.

All the best.
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by AreaFada2: 11:58pm On Apr 22
Konquest:

What's the name of the Eastern Yoruba town you're referring to here? Sure, as an adult who is NOT averse to detailed investigations, I can take my research away from there.

Perhaps you can shrink the picture before attaching it here or give me the link to see the picture.

All the best.

Message me
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by AutomaticMotors: 12:04am On Apr 23
Konquest:

Violation of Rules 2, 8, 9

grin grin grin grin
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Christistruth00: 10:49am On Apr 23
Konquest:

C'mon don't say that... that's ridiculous and an insult to refer to me as a bipolar.

Some of you just come online and make spurious and defamatory comments against responsible folks that you don't even know because we share the same platform... Do you realize that you're talking to a responsible man and well-traveled man who is over 50 years of age? You have to wake up!

I'm not the same person with @Christistruth00.

Last but not least, I came across this thread and since I have a great interesting in world history, I decided to read and ask questions from those whose have posted here.

AutomaticMotors:

Uhundan!!

Good Morning O!

Maybe the Palm wine he used to brush his teeth this morning was too Strong
and is still having some side effects on him, that is why he thinks we are the same Person

1 Like

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 11:07am On Apr 23
Christistruth00:

Good Morning O!

as is still having some side effects on him
How's it going my bruv?

I discovered from the history of his NL posts that the young dude is from Edo State and he uses aggressive language on some occasions. He is currently trying to go for a Masters program in Italy and probably had some resentment towards you based on your past posts or views here on NL... His suspicion about both of us being the same is ridiculous. I've been a veteran member of NL since 2005 with an even older moniker than this one and do not have the time to engage in irrelevant convos.

It's an online platform here where historical issues ought to be discussed intellectually without throwing needless insults. That's why I just ignored him subsequently and informed the Super Moderators about the young boy's violation of NL rules relating to spreading falsehoods and defamation.

My deep instincts actually indicate that he is the owner of another NL account or moniker on this thread that was glaringly evasive in answering some questions but I'll let it slide and discontinue having any convo with such folks henceforth.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

1 Like

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Christistruth00: 11:39am On Apr 23
Konquest:

How's it going my bruv?

I discovered from the history of his NL posts that the young dude is from Edo State and he uses aggressive language on some occasions. He is currently trying to go for a Masters program in Italy and probably had some resentment towards you based on your past posts or views here on NL... His suspicion about both of us being the same is ridiculous. I've been a veteran member of NL since 2005 with an even older moniker than this one and do not have the time to engage in irrelevant convos.

It's an online platform here where historical issues ought to be discussed intellectually without throwing needless insults. That's why I just ignored him subsequently and informed the Super Moderators about the young boy's violation of NL rules relating to spreading falsehoods and defamation.

My deep instincts actually indicate that he is the owner of another NL account or moniker on this thread that was glaringly evasive in answering some questions but I'll let it slide and discontinue having any convo with such folks henceforth.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

They hate True History they prefer lies , not knowing that those lies will create pitfalls and reduce the Wisdom their descendants
Will gain from being taught the Truth about their own History

Go and Check their Records on any Major Historical Events that involve others
the Itsekiri, Ilaje, Ishan, Ijebu, Awori, Ife , Urhobo , Ijaw , British , Portuguese and even the Ogiamen Family of Benin versions will all agree with each other by over 80% even after Centuries

But the Benin Versions will be so different and problematic from the others it would be completely unrecognisable and unverifiable

Enjoy your day !

1 Like

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 11:59am On Apr 23
Christistruth00:

They hate True History they prefer lies , not knowing that those lies will create pitfalls and reduce the Wisdom their descendants
Will gain from being taught the Truth about their own History

Go and Check their Records on any Major Historical Events that involve others
the Itsekiri, Ilaje, Ishan, Ijebu, Awori, Ife , Urhobo , Ijaw , British , Portuguese and even the Ogiamen Family of Benin versions will all agree with each other by over 80% even after Centuries

But the Benin Versions will be so different and problematic from the others it would be completely unrecognisable and unverifiable

Enjoy your day !
Thank you.

Just a quick one, I was reading this revealing Weblink info below on the Yoruba town of Usen in Ovia South West of Edo State within the last one hour and it CLEARLY shows how the Yoruba folks of Usen who originally migrated from Ife (Ufe) played a key role in the history of Ife and Benin over the Centuries. You might wish to read it if you haven't done so yet.

Tbh, there's a whole lot to read about events in the past that shaped human existence. The Ode Awure (Usen) account is very consistent with claims of Yoruba communities (originally founded by people from Ife) still being in existence in Edo State.

=>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usen_people

1 Like

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by AutomaticMotors: 1:09pm On Apr 23
Christistruth00:

Good Morning O!

and is still having some side effects on him, that is why he thinks we are the same Person

The same pamlwine your father drinks
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Christistruth00: 1:28pm On Apr 23
Konquest:

Thank you.

Just a quick one, I was reading this revealing Weblink info below on the Yoruba town of Usen in Ovia South West of Edo State within the last one hour and it CLEARLY shows how the Yoruba folks of Usen who originally migrated from Ife (Ufe) played a key role in the history of Ife and Benin over the Centuries. You might wish to read it if you haven't done so yet.

Tbh, there's a whole lot to read about events in the past that shaped human existence. The Ode Awure (Usen) account is very consistent with claims of Yoruba communities (originally founded by people from Ife) still being in existence in Edo State.

=>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usen_people

Thank you
I heard that Usen was founded by Oranmiyan’s Older Brother and the Oba of Benin must go there
on homage as part of his Coronation Ritual

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 1:46pm On Apr 23
Christistruth00:

Thank you
I heard that Usen was founded by Oranmiyan’s Older Brother and the Oba of Benin must go there on homage as part of his Coronation Ritual
You're welcome @Christisthruth00. I'd love to visit Usen and Benin City too to gain a better cultural experience or perspective down the road. A young guy who hails from Usen posted on NL during the global lockdowns that his people of Usen wanted to join Ondo State through a boundary adjustment but the then Oba of Benin worked against it. I think I understand better now why the Oba allegedly did so... Usen and Benin have strong religious and cultural ties.

1 Like

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Christistruth00: 2:06pm On Apr 23
Konquest:

You're welcome @Christisthruth00. I'd love to visit Usen and Benin City too to gain a better cultural experience or perspective down the road. A young guy who hails from Usen posted on NL during the global lockdowns that his people of Usen wanted to join Ondo State through a boundary adjustment but the then Oba of Benin worked against it. I think I understand better now why the Oba allegedly did so... Usen and Benin have strong religious and cultural ties.

I just found this on YouTube and it looks interesting

Start from 30 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/live/EUfCwAlFH-8?si=oL2bG5t6iEIDDT6x

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by Konquest: 2:11pm On Apr 23
Christistruth00:

I just found this on YouTube and it looks interesting

Start from 30 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/live/EUfCwAlFH-8?si=oL2bG5t6iEIDDT6x
Okay... I'll have a look at the video and even download it on my mobile device.

Thanks again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by AutomaticMotors: 9:03pm On Apr 23
This guy you are just making a ridicule of your lineage what sort of bi polar madness is this my God grin grin grin
Re: The Benin Prince Who Founded Ile-ife by AreaFada2: 8:36pm On Apr 24
Konquest:

All the best.

You see lots of tribal people arguing online, most do not know their genealogy beyond the great grandfather. If they did, they would find out that hey have very mixed backgrounds.

Take Nnamdi Azikiwe as an example. He wrote in 1970 in his book "My Genealogy and Nativity" that he was the son of Chukwuemeka, son of Azikiwe, son of Molokwu, son of Onirisi, son of Dei, son of Ezechima.

Ezechima or Chima or Chime was the man we called Ikhimwin in Benin. Zik said his clan in Onitsha felt much superior to other clans because they were bona fide Benin princes of blood. He knew his descent because of his noble lineage. He also listed other places found by Ezechima as Isseleku, Aboh, Onicha-Olona, Onicha-Ugbo, etc.

Infect, in Benin, we consider Isseluku as the head of all Ezechima clans. This was even confirmed by the Obi of Isseluku in 1982 in his visit to Benin.

Most people are commoners and have little in their family to warrant their lineage story to be told. This is not to be condescending but stating the fact. Some of those who do not know their genealogy find succour in tribalism.

A met a guy abroad over 20 years ago. We got chatting. I soon found out his mother was a Benin princess. He was a regular at Benin palace when visiting 9ja. Both his first name and surname were from a Nigerian tribe that is not Edo or even from South-South. He told me things about the palace I know to be true. 100 years from now, they might argue that person's children have no links with Benin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Many Jews Wear Igbo 'traditional' Wears? / Eluku Festival 2018: Two Nights Of Curfew In Ikorodu / Unique Traditional Marriage Customs In Odobaji, Olamboro L.G.A Of Kogi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.