Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,113 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:17 AM

More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff (17913 Views)

More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment / Electricity: Uncertainty, As Discos Bid To Pull Out / Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by tete7000(m): 9:08pm On Jan 01
They should meter everyone first.
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by bayelsaowei(m): 9:08pm On Jan 01
We must dance disco... grin
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by maasoap(m): 9:10pm On Jan 01
Rejouir:
Agbado boys, this 2024 will be a very long year grin, Your foolishness is out of this world. I feel for the soft at heart who would listen to the cry of these fools who voted tinubu out of tribal bigotry. Better hold tight to your money.

You are a big mumu. No be Jonathan privatised power sector with the blessing of people like you?

2 Likes

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by Etranshub(m): 9:13pm On Jan 01
this country is nothing but a joke...disco go just dey increase price every 6 months ....when we are ready for freedom we will hit the streets and shut down everything to start afresh
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by Johel(m): 9:18pm On Jan 01
TruthsFM:
More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As DisCos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff On Jan 1

While the pains of fuel subsidy removal still linger, the confusion surrounding a planned electricity tariff increment starting from January 1, 2024 has compounded the worries.

It was gathered that the officials of the Nigeria’s Electricity Distribution Companies (DisCos) held a virtual emergency meeting recently to formalise and perfect the planned tariff increase.

A source in one of the DisCos, who claimed anonymity, confirmed the development to Daily Trust on Sunday.

The source said: “All has been perfected for the new tariff to take effect from the first of January, 2024.

It is now left for various electricity distribution companies to enlighten their customers on new developments.”

The source said the National Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) had already invited distribution companies for a meeting on the development.
He expressed fear that while it is mandatory for electricity distribution companies to regularly evaluate tariffs every six months, the recent increase would meet customers’ dissatisfaction.

“In fact, we were perturbed by the short notice and how we would reach out to our customers about the increase,” he said.
Asked how much the increase would be, the source said, “No idea so far, but the uncertainty has put us in a difficult situation.”

Recall that in November 2023, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu stopped the implementation of the electricity tariff, insisting on a power sector subsidy.

Speaking on Tinubu’s directive on electricity tariff hikes, the Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, said, “The power sector is an industry that is very sensitive to any leader.

“You cannot jump overnight and implement the cost-reflective tariff. I can tell you that till today, the government still subsidises power”.

https://www.osundefender.com/more-hardship-looms-for-nigerians-as-discos-set-to-increase-electricity-tariff-on-jan-1/

Na una papa go see hardship..
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by fardeygah: 9:19pm On Jan 01
Power supply isn't constant before so we enjoying nothing and we can't be worry..We just care for stomach infrastructure..Make the price of food crash down is all we pray for

1 Like

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by fardeygah: 9:20pm On Jan 01
fardeygah:
Power supply isn't constant before so we enjoying nothing and we can't be worry..We just care for stomach infrastructure..Make the price of food crash down is all we pray for
fardeygah:
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by Rejouir: 9:20pm On Jan 01
maasoap:

You are a big mumu. No be Jonathan privatised power sector with the blessing of people like you?
This fool, has taken tinubu incompetence as Jonathan fault. Stupidity!!

You should as well fault, Jonathan for the hike in price of food products,drugs, transport cost ,and the incessant killing at the middle belt.

Fool!! 🤦. You see this shege, walaihi it will choke you all that supported tinubu into coma. It hasn't even started.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by Herkim(m): 9:24pm On Jan 01
Jemiing:
May God help us

God Almighty have already help us with wisdom

We need to Help ourselves
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by Uddeze1(m): 9:24pm On Jan 01
Lets all go solar. These people are jokers.
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by blowjohn(m): 9:32pm On Jan 01
Discos are now more expensive than clubs
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by blowjohn(m): 9:34pm On Jan 01
There's a war going on outside, no one's safe from.

Mobb deep.

But again.

Tough times don't last.
Tough people do.

Nas.
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by matm: 9:37pm On Jan 01
DISCO music want to increase what
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by nnamdi640: 9:41pm On Jan 01
Hope Tinubu supporters won't be affected?
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by bhella10: 9:42pm On Jan 01
Fake news as usual. Enemies of Nigeria will not die well Amen.
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by Compliant(m): 9:44pm On Jan 01
Solar is just the way for those who can afford it, as for me since December 2 years ago it’s has being solar for me and my household.

Just last week I had to increase the capacity, so now freezer, fridge, AC, Tv, light all can work at ago.

They should continue to increase
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by rapheal5(m): 9:46pm On Jan 01
SultanOfAbia:
Come to lagos
Yoruba People go dey beg up and down
Omo everybody dey beg me money for road.
Some come to me speaking Yoruba
I just dey laugh grin grin grin
Go and meet Tinubu... Mumu people

But this December, since I come village
Nobody don beg me anything.. Why?

All men for my side dey chop their choppings and having a good time. Nobody dey beg around

Why be say na Ronu people dey feel the hardship 10X more than SS and SE
can you just state one reason, why you hate Yoruba. Most Yoruba youths voted for obi in South West, yet obi couldn't make 60percent vote in core Eastern part...
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by gare(f): 9:48pm On Jan 01
TruthsFM:
More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As DisCos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff On Jan 1

While the pains of fuel subsidy removal still linger, the confusion surrounding a planned electricity tariff increment starting from January 1, 2024 has compounded the worries.

It was gathered that the officials of the Nigeria’s Electricity Distribution Companies (DisCos) held a virtual emergency meeting recently to formalise and perfect the planned tariff increase.

A source in one of the DisCos, who claimed anonymity, confirmed the development to Daily Trust on Sunday.

The source said: “All has been perfected for the new tariff to take effect from the first of January, 2024.

It is now left for various electricity distribution companies to enlighten their customers on new developments.”

The source said the National Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) had already invited distribution companies for a meeting on the development.
He expressed fear that while it is mandatory for electricity distribution companies to regularly evaluate tariffs every six months, the recent increase would meet customers’ dissatisfaction.

“In fact, we were perturbed by the short notice and how we would reach out to our customers about the increase,” he said.
Asked how much the increase would be, the source said, “No idea so far, but the uncertainty has put us in a difficult situation.”

Recall that in November 2023, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu stopped the implementation of the electricity tariff, insisting on a power sector subsidy.

Speaking on Tinubu’s directive on electricity tariff hikes, the Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, said, “The power sector is an industry that is very sensitive to any leader.

“You cannot jump overnight and implement the cost-reflective tariff. I can tell you that till today, the government still subsidises power”.

https://www.osundefender.com/more-hardship-looms-for-nigerians-as-discos-set-to-increase-electricity-tariff-on-jan-1/
Tinubu is working 😂
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by REIIGN(m): 9:57pm On Jan 01
ahnie:
Na to hang wire kawai.... Highest we burst Bros for street wey dey work for Nepa urgent 2k.

Nigerians always improvise.

What a very stupid comment to make at the top of a forum where you know that Government officials are members and visitors. You might as well tell them that we'll also sing their praise. I no blame you, na man deh feed you, obviously. Idiot.
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by sonnie10: 9:58pm On Jan 01
rapheal5:
can you just state one reason, why you hate Yoruba. Most Yoruba youths voted for obi in South West, yet obi couldn't make 60percent vote in core Eastern part...

Isn’t that how a fair election should be? Were there no other candidates on the ballot to take the remaining 40%.?
I guess you wanted Obi to sweep all the votes like others did at the other parts of the country.

We hate transparency and sincerity in this country. Then we turn around and blame government/ leaders
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by Quebec91(m): 9:59pm On Jan 01
cheesy
Stevenson20:
New year gift from APShit

Las las everybody must get sense in this corntree
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by MisterBanny(m): 10:02pm On Jan 01
Lanre1st:
BAT has told you he doesn’t have other options but to go the hard way cool.
It’s now I understand the meaning of the film titled “The Hard Way “

New Year promised must be fulfilled

I remember that Movie way back, THE HARD WAY (The Only Way)

1 Like

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by finallybusy: 10:02pm On Jan 01
Situations like this is why I advocate for a four-man presidency. One head is not enough to run things. It never was enough. Let one president focus on power, another on SMEs, the final two will focus on other aspects of the nation — security and forex most likely. Nigeria is larger than one man at its helm of affairs. See small Nairaland for example; the forum is slowly dying because one man in charge has sworn that no one else would share the glory of running things.

Any serious government can dedicate nine months to ironing out the electricity issue. Pump money into the sector, ensure every kobo is accounted for and watch the infrastructure serve Nigerians at the end of the day. Sha, when they’re making money off people living in darkness, it’d make sense why no administration has seen power generation as a priority.

Tinubu is one president I believe can see this through. I won’t hold my breath anyway. All he wants is the title ex-president in his resume. Atiku is the same sans the will to better Nigerian lives. Me don port enter solar for two months now. Nothing concern me and NEPA daily till six in the evening. Three hours later at nine p.m. is when I run my generator to charge batteries. I consume diesel but a lot less than times past.
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by mipeesoft(m): 10:03pm On Jan 01
Na only people who voted for Tinubu won't see anything bad in this hardship by apc upon Nigerians,
they will come and defend this hardship with their empty brain, useless government with useless supporters grin
TruthsFM:

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by Lanre1st(m): 10:05pm On Jan 01
MisterBanny:

I remember that Movie way back, THE HARD WAY (The Only Way)

BAT is showing another shege film for Nigerians- the only
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by hotseat: 10:07pm On Jan 01
What an insensitive way to welcome the New Year!

Whatever happens to the citizenry lies at the doorsteps of Tinubu and his Always Pains Congress (APC) who appear to be overwhelmed by the myriads of problems buffeting the country for which they have no solution.

All they are interested in is to keep borrowing while intensifying the pains on hapless and almost hopeless Nigerians.

What obtains in Nigeria is that each successive governments appears to be better than the successive ones.

Just see how Tinubu is making a Saint out of Buhari by his cluelessness.

Tinubu has nothing to offer but pains, sorrow, tears and blood.

Nigerians have been conned!
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by rapheal5(m): 10:09pm On Jan 01
sonnie10:

Isn’t that how a fair election should be? Were there no other candidates on the ballot to take the remaining 40%.?
I guess you wanted Obi to sweep all the votes like others did at the other parts of the country.

We hate transparency and sincerity in this country. Then we turn around and blame government/ leaders
You actually don't understand my bone of contention, check to see why I quoted the self acclaimed @sultanofabia
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by sukkot: 10:10pm On Jan 01
Nna mayneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by Greenfaces: 10:24pm On Jan 01
Angelfrost:

I visited Asaba recently, and I almost wept!

A whole capital of Delta state literally swimming in chronic darkness.

BEDC is a joke!!!
I visited my parents this holiday in benin. The solar battery I put there 4 years ago has gotten weak and bad. Omo... my papa and mama been don get used to constant light. For the period I stayed between 22nd and 30th, the sum of hours with no light was less than 10hours if I'm right
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by popcykaylah(m): 10:25pm On Jan 01
Tinubu will show Nigerians shege ..
Re: More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff by ufuosman(m): 10:32pm On Jan 01
For light 💡 wen person no dey see

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG School Feeding Programme To Launch Today / Saraki Swears In Ademola Adeleke As Osun-West Senator / CAN President Visits Senator Dino Melaye (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.