Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,395 members, 7,819,411 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

400k Salary, but nothing. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 400k Salary, but nothing. (31979 Views)

A 100k Monthly Salary In Nigeria Is Better Than A 400k Monthly Salary In USA / 82K Monthly Salary But Confused On How To Go About Saving Something / Peace Corps Not Getting Any Salary But Are Paying Over N45,000 To Join, In Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by drinkgarri: 9:37pm On Jan 10
when i dey earn 25K,within 5years,i saved more than 1m. Saving is all about discipline.i have friends back then that we then that we end same about but they can use the whole buy clothes worth more than their salary. although some girls trip for them, they even Bleep girls easily but they live from hand to mouth. i will advice you,from now on,if you collect your,remove the amount you want to save first, like say 100k and plan on the rest. make sure you dont touch the money no matter what.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Opmic: 9:38pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

I hope this my post gets to the FP, so I can get insights from a wider audience; even I know some might not make sense, but one thing I've learnt from the short time I joined this platform, is that - sense dey inside nonsense.

Pardon me, my write fit dey a bit lengthy.

I currently work with a multi-national startup coy. My net pay is a bit above 400k naira (this's at the moment), I've worked for about 2 years. I'm married with two kids and expecting the third.

Now my dilemma is that, I've not been able to save up funds, I feel like my living condition doesn't reflect what I earn. Shingbai like this, I no get for account. The last I could remember, I go deep hand for forex, e nearly give me hypertension (I lost about 2m). I still dey pay debt wey I incur as a result.

Now where I need assistance is, looking at the amount I'm earning, how do I spend? Please for those that will be kind enough to give suggestions, let it practically explained, as in help me break am down to the amount wey I suppose spend, how I suppose spend am, and wetin I suppose save.

I believe say many family people dey here wey get better experiences.

Thanks 🙏.

Start with tithing. Giving God 10% of your income will make manifest God's blessing upon you already. That's if you are born again.

Now that blessing would work you into abundance, maybe by bringing increase in salary, by giving you wisdom on how to manage your finances or by making the suggestions you get on nl here work beyond your expectations.
God is good, his desire is that you live in abundance and not make money lord over you ( which is one of the reasons you have to give ).
God bless you

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by adecz: 9:39pm On Jan 10
Your wife could be part of the problem☝☝☝
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by GODWINLOWSKI: 9:39pm On Jan 10
I Will be helping you with 2 odds anytime dem pay you salary.
You go use am double the money and save 300k, and use 500k run things
What are friends for
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by astonished: 9:39pm On Jan 10
You can use Piggivest, auto save, to automatically remove certain amount from your account, at define period, locking the account.

That's the best to discipline your self financially

2 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Duyt1798: 9:39pm On Jan 10
Thanks, I'm noting down some of these points
Tealcrestmedia:
There are basic rules that help someone avoid financial pressure. Firstly, everything you do must be in percentages of your salary, the main one being not spending more than 30% of your annual income on rent. Your annual income is 4.8m assuming that is all you earn. Your rent must not exceed 1.2m.

Next, tailor your spending to allow 20% saving monthly which will be your investment funds. The rest will be dependent on your lifestyle choices and the cost of living for where you stay.

I noticed you mentioned forex, because you didn't follow financial management principles, you used almost 40% annual income to invest in something you're not knowledgeable in, you should test the waters with no more than 5% monthly per time.

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by lomprico(m): 9:40pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

I hope this my post gets to the FP, so I can get insights from a wider audience; even I know some might not make sense, but one thing I've learnt from the short time I joined this platform, is that - sense dey inside nonsense.

I currently work with a multi-national startup coy. My net pay is a bit above 400k naira (this's at the moment), I've worked for about 2 years. I'm married with two kids and expecting the third.

Now my dilemma is that, I've not been able to save up funds, I feel like my living condition doesn't reflect what I earn. Shingbai like this, I no get for account. The last I could remember, I go deep hand for forex, e nearly give me hypertension (I lost about 2m). I still dey pay debt wey I incur as a result.

Now where I need assistance is, looking at the amount I'm earning, how do I spend? Please for those that will be kind enough to give suggestions, let it practically explained, as in help me break am down to the amount wey I suppose spend, how I suppose spend am, and wetin I suppose save.

Thanks 🙏.

You are reckless, simple!

I know family surviving on 200k in this present Nigeria

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by abba190: 9:40pm On Jan 10
Skyfornia:
Honestly...400k a month with two kids and a wife..even expecting another baby? That money won't be anywhere enough to carter for 4 people. If your wife is not working, I suggest you look for fund and set up a business for her to argument your present income.
just shut the fk up, 400k monthly can sustain family of 10 talkless of family of just 4people

4 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Duyt1798: 9:40pm On Jan 10
Thanks
Jking20:
Start up something for your wife if she doesn't have anything doin. The little things at home are the ones that takes most of the money, but with her doin something that she can frequently settle some bills you will definitely be able to save.
Also, you must set a target of what you want to achieve and work hard for it, otherwise, you will still end up the same way.
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Jewessgratitud3: 9:40pm On Jan 10
You need to first work on your expenses.
For instance. Your housing. If the
cost of your rent is more than your two months salary, then look for a cheaper apartment.

1. Your childrens school fees. If it's more than 50k per term,, change their school to a cheaper one then you and your wife find time to brush them up at home.

For Food stuff , buy in bulk and 100k should be able to stock your house every month. You people should learn to manage.

Foodstuffs 100k
Savings. 150k
Other expenses 50k

You'll still have 100k left for emergency expenses.

2 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by astonished: 9:41pm On Jan 10
Devil advocate,

Should have millions of Naira in your account by now by your 2 odds.

GODWINLOWSKI:
I Will be helping you with 2 odds anytime dem pay you salary.
You go use am double the money and save 300k, and use 500k run things
What are friends for
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by mikmash(m): 9:43pm On Jan 10
One day us wey dey find work, go also earn like this. Chai 400k...just cut your expenses sir maybe. I mean a constrained budget.

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by LagBlogger(m): 9:44pm On Jan 10
DavidEsq:

That your wife friend na coded omila, she no know. For you to even believe this thing sef, e show say na akamu head u get

I trust a cynical retard like yourself to doubt people's resilience.

Na pap brain plus satanic thinking full your head. Hediot

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Angelfrost(m): 9:45pm On Jan 10
Sigh... First off, what exactly were you thinking impregnating your wife a third time?!!

In this economy, what goes through your minds when planning your family?!! That God will provide?!!

Well... You haven't even broken down where the bulk of your 400k salary goes into. That's where good counsel should begin.

9 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Omalicious1: 9:46pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks 🙏.

Put yourself together, have a budget and follow it religiously. Discipline is key

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by ppogba: 9:46pm On Jan 10
If you earn 400k and cannot save, you will not save if the salary is increased to 500k.

No be curse. Na fact.

6 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by LagBlogger(m): 9:47pm On Jan 10
obailala:
In what kind of world does someone who earns N60k monthly buy a land and build a house? A married man at that... Even if he saves 50% of his salary, how do you build a house with N60k salary? undecided

In 2015, in Abuja you could get land in some places for 300k.

You need to read the part we're I mentioned he did Uber and started saving for their house.

If you doubt it, who cares, message was for the op not you.

2 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by jojothaiv(m): 9:48pm On Jan 10
callmevirus:
Nothing concern me but E dey mind

You dey try
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Duyt1798: 9:48pm On Jan 10
Insightful!
Relixy2k:
400k is huge. 89% of families both husband and wife in Nigeria combined, don't earn up to that amount doing legal jobs not referring to yahoo guys and other illegal guys ohh. You ought to be a millionaire even in this economy after 2 yrs plus of earning 400k monthly if well managed. Rent a place not more than 300k a year. Put your children in a school not more than 80k a term. Run from forex, betting etc. I assure you in just a year, you will have huge savings. No mind stories here telling you 400k is small. I can assure you someone on 80k who dream to earn 150k will come here to tell you 400k is small.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by lawrenzooo: 9:48pm On Jan 10
adecz:

Your wife could be part of the problem☝☝☝
I was hoping some would point that out.
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Babawee: 9:49pm On Jan 10
nah that thing dey fear me pass...
I earn 50% of what's he his earning and I have 3kids
my children attend the school her mother teach...I paid 50% on school fees

my yearly rent is 150k and I keep saving every month...
with 400k u can do better just see yourself as someone earning 250k, are you saying u won't survive in this Lagos...I live on the island

you can achieve it if u spend less

obumsway:
Oga you are simply extravagant and wasteful. I believe it's your type that wants to wear and do what politicians wear or do

It's better you work on your spending and have the consciousness that ure earning 300k while saving at least 100k.

Let your wife know and cut cost. Get a target savings either to get a house or buy land or an investment.

Most times these money and time don't come as often and don't last for long except ure the owner of the business at least.

Cut on your rent and children school fees even expenditure of the family. Baba the journey is still far

Make we no hear, there was a time my daddy was very rich .... Toh !!!!!

2 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by samwash(m): 9:49pm On Jan 10
I don't know if your wife is working or not, or you are the only one funding the family. If she is not working, pls set her up for a business to support the family.
I don't kwn your present location, your house rent shouldn't be more than your two months salary.
I don't know the type of school your children attend, you have to see to it.
I don't know if you use personal car or public transportation, but staying not too far from work place save cost.
Don't know if you be the faji type of guy that host couple of friends on weekends, that has to stop.
I don't kwn if you are the bread winner of your family, always meeting the needs of other family members, you have to look into it also.
You have to cultivate the habit of savings even if it's small, like letting the payroll of your company deduct some certain amount directly from salary before paying you.
Some companies practice this for their staff, especially if they have muti purpose co operative union or so.
I don't know if you dey carry women na waytin dey kill man money be that, if so, you need to put a stop to it.
For now make I rest.
Funny enough some couples don't even earn up to what the Op is earning but they are still surviving.

4 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Phantom233: 9:50pm On Jan 10
First of all that money is enough just that you're spending beyond your earnings. Givt your wife 200k for monthly feeding , you keep100k for yourself and save 100k. You don't pay rent and school fees every month .

4 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by jojothaiv(m): 9:50pm On Jan 10
Tealcrestmedia:
There are basic rules that help someone avoid financial pressure. Firstly, everything you do must be in percentages of your salary, the main one being not spending more than 30% of your annual income on rent. Your annual income is 4.8m assuming that is all you earn. Your rent must not exceed 1.2m.

Next, tailor your spending to allow 20% saving monthly which will be your investment funds. The rest will be dependent on your lifestyle choices and the cost of living for where you stay.

I noticed you mentioned forex, because you didn't follow financial management principles, you used almost 40% annual income to invest in something you're not knowledgeable in, you should test the waters with no more than 5% monthly per time.
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Duyt1798: 9:51pm On Jan 10
Awesome 👍
OZIOGU1:

My brother check your lifestyle

I am married with four kids, My current net is around that amount, I do adashe (contribution) of 150k monthly, give my wife 80k, set aside another 20k monthly for end of the year celebration, give my kids 5,4,3&2k each from senior to junior, 60k for my fuel for the month, the remaining amount goes for unforeseen circumstances that may arise, mind you I don't smoke, drink, but once a while i hangout with colleagues.

going to work, from my shirt, to trouser, shoes and wristwatch is less than 20k, I dey go bend down select well okrika, na my wife way of changing my wardrobe be that...with all these , I was able to erect a 3bed in 3yrs.

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Kingrshd3: 9:52pm On Jan 10
yetmao:
Don't know what to say honestly. The 400k money is not enough, If you re not stealing from the company.

Forget the advices of people saving and buying land from 60k and 30k salary. They are thieves, stealing from company. It's just practically impossible, with feeding, school fees, transport and extended family wahala.

Am telling this same set of stealing people too will say it's God grace that made them acquire those things with 30k salary 😂😆
For nija ehn we go decieve oruself tire mtheew
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by babyfaceafrica: 9:53pm On Jan 10
Relixy2k:
[b]400k is huge. [/b]89% of families both husband and wife in Nigeria combined, don't earn up to that amount doing legal jobs not referring to yahoo guys and other illegal guys ohh. You ought to be a millionaire even in this economy after 2 yrs plus of earning 400k monthly if well managed. Rent a place not more than 300k a year. Put your children in a school not more than 80k a term. Run from forex, betting etc. I assure you in just a year, you will have huge savings. No mind stories here telling you 400k is small. I can assure you someone on 80k who dream to earn 150k will come here to tell you 400k is small.

It's small abeg!!, with two kids and the third on the way.. School fees Don cost o
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by ppogba: 9:55pm On Jan 10
astonished:
No one is talking legal betting called forex that gulp his 2 million Naira.

Forex is like betting, and sports betting still better than forex, but people will like to defend nonsense.

So many advert here and there regarding FOREX which the government should ban.

Baba Ijebu is far reliable than.forex

The problem most people have is herd mentality. The moment they hear about something being the reigning thing pronto, they join the band wagon without knowing next to nothing about it.. When they now get their fingers burnt, they start lamenting.

2 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Adanac(m): 9:55pm On Jan 10
It's not how much you earn, you can't save if you don't have a savings disciplined culture, if one can pay 10% as tithes to God, you can as well save another 10% for yourself.
The truth is as a family man there is no amount you earn that is enough for the family, you just have to be consistent in whatever you want to save, except it involves life and death you can alter ur savings before the last date.
Shalom

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by seanwilliam(m): 9:56pm On Jan 10
Kam2021:
400k and no savings,..you are extravagant..
People that earn less than 100k still save and live well.
You no need make person waste time begin advice you.
no be everybody come life come suffer o bro. There’s no way you’ll be earning 100k with 3 mouths to feed and still live well, it’s impossible . Except you’re getting tips somewhere.
There’s different between living life and surviving.

@ op, honestly speaking, you’re not the only one experiencing that . I’ll give you two possible solutions.
1. The moment your salary enters, remove 100k sharp and make do with 300k
 slightly reduce your standard of living. To make this possible , use piggybank 

2. Expand your source of income .
Personally I’ll go for the second option.
There used to be a time i earned 20k monthly , I would be like God if I fit Dey earn 200k , I no go broke again ;, now I earn x100 or more of my salary then in a good month and my savings is not proportional to my earning grin I no fit kill myself and I still dey single o. Lol

2 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by ppogba: 9:57pm On Jan 10
Tealcrestmedia:

Agree with your analysis but the truth is anyone earnings 400k and living in a rented apartment of 1.2m per year can never move forward.

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by michael132(m): 9:59pm On Jan 10
Most of u guys saying d money is not enough don't even receive up to half..how many companies de pay that sum now with contract staff everywhere
My brother with proper plan u can save 200k.....if can't save from 400k then u can't save from 1m also ..all u need do is to cut all major comfort life spending ..and live like you are still struggling ..don't let the amount influence your spending ..

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Am Approaching 40 And Am Scared My Dreams Are Not Realistic / My Discovery About Private Schools / She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.