Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

400k Salary, but nothing. - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 400k Salary, but nothing. (31789 Views)

A 100k Monthly Salary In Nigeria Is Better Than A 400k Monthly Salary In USA / 82K Monthly Salary But Confused On How To Go About Saving Something / Peace Corps Not Getting Any Salary But Are Paying Over N45,000 To Join, In Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Princewill1(m): 10:37pm On Jan 10
You are living above your means.

That's why you are facing this problem.

If any of your colleague in the office who is single and earns the same salary as you is living in a N2m rent house, you shouldn't do same because you got a family of 5 to carter for.

For you to save, you must lower the type of house you live, the kind of school your kids attend, the quality of food your family consume etc

You live above your means thats why you're stuck with debt and can't save.

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by NewDea4: 10:38pm On Jan 10
AchrafHakimi:
Married men are simps walahi that's why women love them. Girls chase married men because they know they are weak, dumb and easily manipulated.

It takes a certain level of fear to make a man give up his life for a woman.

Tufiakwa!!

If ya papa no give up his life for ya mama how you think say dem for raise you?

You for dey Olusosun dey pick scraps, with zero literacy and zero education.

Try and have sense ogbeni
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Ojay0445(m): 10:39pm On Jan 10
Seek knowledge......bn intelligent academically doesn't make someone intelligent financially......u hv to learn hw to increase ur financial IQ.....Financial education is d only solution to ur problem

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by chiboycue: 10:39pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

I hope this my post gets to the FP, so I can get insights from a wider audience; even I know some might not make sense, but one thing I've learnt from the short time I joined this platform, is that - sense dey inside nonsense.

Pardon me, my write fit dey a bit lengthy.

I currently work with a multi-national startup coy. My net pay is a bit above 400k naira (this's at the moment), I've worked for about 2 years. I'm married with two kids and expecting the third.

Now my dilemma is that, I've not been able to save up funds, I feel like my living condition doesn't reflect what I earn. Shingbai like this, I no get for account. The last I could remember, I go deep hand for forex, e nearly give me hypertension (I lost about 2m). I still dey pay debt wey I incur as a result.

Now where I need assistance is, looking at the amount I'm earning, how do I spend? Please for those that will be kind enough to give suggestions, let it practically explained, as in help me break am down to the amount wey I suppose spend, how I suppose spend am, and wetin I suppose save.

I believe say many family people dey here wey get better experiences.

Thanks πŸ™.

You are a big boy earning N400,000 per month. Most civil servants in Nigeria do not earn as much as N400,000 per month. You need to cultivate the habit of saving money and fixing the money that you have saved so it can yield dividend for you. Avoid unnecessary expenses. Dont be living in a place where you are paying house rent of 1milion annually. Put your children in a good less expensive public school instead of an expensive private school. You would not have done forex with as much as N2 million. You can do other things like affiliate marketing and blogging inorder to support your income. You need to empower your wife as well.

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by NewDea4: 10:40pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

I hope this my post gets to the FP, so I can get insights from a wider audience; even I know some might not make sense, but one thing I've learnt from the short time I joined this platform, is that - sense dey inside nonsense.

I currently work with a multi-national startup coy. My net pay is a bit above 400k naira (this's at the moment), I've worked for about 2 years. I'm married with two kids and expecting the third.

Now my dilemma is that, I've not been able to save up funds, I feel like my living condition doesn't reflect what I earn. Shingbai like this, I no get for account. The last I could remember, I go deep hand for forex, e nearly give me hypertension (I lost about 2m). I still dey pay debt wey I incur as a result.

Now where I need assistance is, looking at the amount I'm earning, how do I spend? Please for those that will be kind enough to give suggestions, let it practically explained, as in help me break am down to the amount wey I suppose spend, how I suppose spend am, and wetin I suppose save.

Thanks πŸ™.

Hope you no dey carry hook-up? That thing na money magnet o

At this level you are, you just have to be content with your wife's pussy

2 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by LandMann: 10:40pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks πŸ™.

Bro, cut your coat according to your size.

The day you stop living to impress people with your vain possessions is the day you'll see progress in your financial life.

But sha u can keep spending all your earnings on short term benefits...

We'll be here to read your sad story[/quote]
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by skultrick(m): 10:42pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks πŸ™.

Just in case you eventually see this comment, oga the truth is that 400k is very small.

I am a single man, and I over the last 6 months I spend on average 300k.

Mind you I don't have a girlfriend, I don't club, and I don't womanise.

I have to squeeze to spend 300k

So of you have 3 people to feed and very frugal, perhaps 350k would be enough. Which leaves you with 50k savings. No school fees yet.

You main aim should be to earn more that's the only way because inflation is very high and naira is very weak for a country that depends mainly on importation.

Experts are already forecasting a weaker naira in 2024.

You need to start a business, at 1m should do.

To save for a business, find a way to cut down on reoccurring expenses, even if the family have to go hungry for a while. If you can save 150k in the next 6 months you should have almost 1m.
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by vickydevoka(m): 10:42pm On Jan 10
theophorus:
400k and you dey chop am finish?

Guy, begin assume say na 200k you dey commot eye for the remaining 200k make you dey save am and begin plan on better Investment no be those Forex/Crypto ooo.

Because, this Weather no really stable ooo.
If them sack am for work him go realise say 400k na money
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Lexusgs430: 10:43pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks πŸ™.

- Does your wife bring in any family income??...... If she isn't, are you surprised you're broke......

You cannot carry all the financial family load and not feel suffocated......... You need to breathe......😜🀣

4 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by vickydevoka(m): 10:45pm On Jan 10
MajorOvakporaye:
You are just extravagant. There are many people receiving far less than you but they coordinate pass you sef
When a lady knows how much u earn, I won't save anything
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by omoharry(f): 10:46pm On Jan 10
Ahnii:
I beg to disagree with you sir That money if properly managed he can still save like 50-100k monthly.
I started life with my husband with his meagre salary of 37k and he was still saving 10k monthly.
which year is this and what part of Nigeria?
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Iykegodslove(m): 10:48pm On Jan 10
400k is neither too small nor too big. What would have happened if u were earning 300k? Life is all about choice. So, if u decide to save, u would comfortable achieve so. You know urself and lifestyle u live; so my candid token is for u to adjust ur lifestyle. I earn less than 400k with three kids and aged mother. I live in one of the cheapest houses around my area though not comfortable but i am almost completing my three bedroom apartment. My rules are:
1. I will not pay any school fees thats more than 100k.
2. Stop using car as it was draining my pocket.
3. Buys food stuck in bulk.
4. Irrespective of anything, must save 25% of my income.
5. Buys cloths once in a year.
6. I dnt drink nor smoke
7. Dnt invest on any business i dnt see.
8. I bab myself and my two boys
7. I b

4 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Ahnii(f): 10:50pm On Jan 10
Your question is a very nice one,the answer is what I choose to keep to myself.

Back to the topic...He can still have a savings of 50-100k.

Since most of the money goes into feeding,school fees and fuelling of his car if he has any.

He could easily convert from fuel to CNG if he has a car.
omoharry:
which year is this and what part of Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Googledrive12: 10:51pm On Jan 10
I have one advice for you, buy this book, The Richest man in Babylon. After you read it come back here in 6 months and give your testimony. Remember you must be disciplined to practice what it teaches. That is the solution to your financial problem, That book changed my life for good, If you don't have the time or don't fancy reading books, get the audio from sportify I think it is about 4 hours long.

3 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by vickydevoka(m): 10:52pm On Jan 10
chiboycue:

You are a big boy earning N400,000 per month. You need to cultivate the habit of saving money and fixing the money that you have saved so it can yield dividend for you. You would not have done forex with N2 million. You can do other things like affiliate marketing and blogging inoder to support your income. You need to empower your wife as well.
Wic one you de do
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Rejouir: 10:52pm On Jan 10
Someone just saved 4.1m still own a car o! And pays rent. from a 150k job, and you earn 400k and haven't saved shi shi.

Hmmm, this marriage of a thing ehn,a huge financial burden is tied on it. But most won't know till they sign in. You are lucky earn such, because majority on this forum haven't seen a salary of even 50k some are still looking forward to N power.

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Henrydata(m): 10:52pm On Jan 10
skultrick:

Just in case you eventually see this comment, oga the truth is that 400k is very small.

I am a single man, and I over the last 6 months I spend on average 300k.

Mind you I don't have a girlfriend, I don't club, and I don't womanise.

My money goes to the following

Feeding and daily expense - 150k
20k savings
Managing my business - 50k
Utilities - 60k
Donations - 70k

That's 350k

I have to squeeze to spend 300k

So of you have 3 people to feed and very frugal, perhaps 350k would be enough. Which leaves you with 50k savings. No school fees yet.

You main aim should be to earn more that's the only way because inflation is very high and naira is very weak for a country that depends mainly on importation.

Experts are already forecasting a weaker naira in 2024.

You need to start a business, at 1m should do.

To save for a business, find a way to cut down on reoccurring expenses, even if the family have to go hungry for a while. If you can save 150k in the next 6 months you should have almost 1m.

Guy, this Ur calculations are thrash.

You are even contradicting urself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Oshokhai69: 10:53pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks πŸ™.

Show us your budget..

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Benzemma(m): 10:55pm On Jan 10
It seems you are living above your standard.

You have give us a break down of how you spend the money, so that we can know where the problem is coming from.

I have a friend who is not collecting up 70k, he is with family, he pays rent and also transport himself to work everyday.

How much more you that is collecting 400k.

Stop flexing your guys each time you collect your salary. And most important thing, stop spending out of your budget.

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Oshokhai69: 10:57pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks πŸ™.

Wjy are you married? Why you go born two kids when you no get money to care for them? You don’t even have a stable job. The start up can fail anytime and you no will be in the streets begging.
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by chiboycue: 10:59pm On Jan 10
vickydevoka:

Wic one you de do

Na affiliate marketing I dey do.
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Hotguy27: 11:02pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks πŸ™.

How I wish I have enough time to tell you many things now.

However, you didn't tell us your location. You don't expect someone staying in Lagos or Abuja to spend the same amount of money, if all things bring equal, as someone staying in Sokoto or Katsina.

Aside location, school also matters. What type of school are your kids attending?

To cut everything short, try to find another source of income to supplement your current pay. Also make a conscious effort to cut down on irrelevant spending especially trying to solve extended family members' financial problems until you can solve your own.

Loan repayment is another setback in growing your financial status. Try and set off any loan if you have one so you can save the interest.

Finally, no matter what save 100k every month from now

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by vickydevoka(m): 11:03pm On Jan 10
chiboycue:

Na affiliate marketing I dey do.
So watin I de market
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by esthel(f): 11:04pm On Jan 10
Is your wife working, are you living above your means especially if your live in Lagos. 400k isn't a lot here.

What is your rent like, school fees, clothing, feeding, house upkeep, fueling of the car etc you need to know where your money is going, cut down spending there so you will have extra to save. It is a conscious action
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Good2go1: 11:04pm On Jan 10
Don't conclude, you don't know how much he spends on transport daily. Somebody like me spend 6K daily on transport that's 30k weekly and 120K monthly
MajorOvakporaye:
You are just extravagant. There are many people receiving far less than you but they coordinate pass you sef
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Chizy12345: 11:11pm On Jan 10
people are earning 50k and they're leaving comfortable. village at work
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by dawnomike(m): 11:12pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks πŸ™.
Join a cooperative society

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Basicend: 11:12pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks πŸ™.

I can bet my testis, that you are amongst those who criticizes tithing ba?

If you don't have the hand of God in it, windows of heaven which come inform of ideas for liberation will not open to you.

You are free to continue ignoring God and His existence.

The blessings of God is not mechanical, you have to build a trustworthy relationship with him. But start with basic steps of obedience first.
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by PaulH07: 11:13pm On Jan 10
chrisifeanyi:
The truth is that the money is not enough for a family of 4 expecting the fifth member.
However, careful planning will make you to have good savings.
I earn far less but I have good savings.
Learn to be buying foodstuffs in bulk. By doing that you will be saving a lot. [b]Food stuffs of 200k can last for two months, you will save the next salary and next time you will be restocking, you won't spend up to that amount. [/b]Don't put money on things you are not sure of. If you are gambling stop.
With that you can have good savings.

I spend 100k on foodstuffs in a month, as a single guy.

That's 200k for only me.

I wonder how this same 200k go reach family of 4 for same period

2 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Evolutionism: 11:24pm On Jan 10
LagBlogger:
Cost of living plus family responsibilities will make your 400k per month feel like 30k per month.

I don't know what your plans are but if you can find a way to reduce house rent and school fees cost you might be able to save something.

My wife had a friend whose husband was on 60k per month salary in 2015, somehow he managed to save and buy land, started doing uber part time then later resigned his job and faced Uber fully and was able to save to build the house they are living in now.

He moved to Canada in 2022 and she joined him last year with their daughter.

I think their game plan was to set a target e.g buy land, build house, travel abroad, start side hustle and save as if their life depends on it to achieve that target.

Try and set goals then work on those goals as if your life depends on achieving it. It may work, it may not. Just my 2 cents.

All these things dey feasible on paper.

Many Nigerians won't tell you 30% of what they really did to get to where they are. You go hear, My brother Na God do am ooo.

Naijas i hail thee. Hmmm.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Alatise777: 11:24pm On Jan 10
tetralogyfallot:
Depending on your location sha o but here in the northern part of the country excluding abj, with 400k u will live like a king n still save. You just have to cut down on your spendings n imbibe some austerity measures. Don't eat outside, buy your needs in bulk on monthly basis. Reduce unnecessary outings, if u drink, reduce it to the bearest minimum, women are natural spenders, in most times pretend to your wife that you don't have much, u may even tell her that because of the economic situation there's 100k paycut in your salary. Join monthly contribution with your friends and make sure u r the last person to collect. If u subscribe DStv premium, downgrade to DStv compact, na still big men dey subscribe compact. If u fuel your generator, try get a small solar set up though it may be expensive to install at first but trust me, it will save you a lot of money at the long run. Abeg night don do, make I go sleep.
one cold heineken 4 this op..you get sense bruh

3 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Evolutionism: 11:26pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks πŸ™

I'm guessing you don't have a Solid background. Like you being from Rich/Super Rich family. Perhaps from an average background.

Your just lucky to get the 400k job. Your biggest mistake is having more than a child in this bastardized economy.

Just have only one child, Lock up and setup your wife business wise. Save up enough and flee the country.

If you like, Let your salary be 1Million. If you are not careful and keep looking for ways to double the funds and be on your Toes. SAPA go still hold yougrin

The problem of this country is you literally need money CASH to get every damn thing you need. No space for breathing at all.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

9 Pictures that Define Some Moments At Work / Makeup Artist Turns Out With Severe Injuries After Artistry Work / Nigerian Man Loses Job Of N120k Pay Because Of N2k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.