Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,938 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

400k Salary, but nothing. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 400k Salary, but nothing. (32016 Views)

A 100k Monthly Salary In Nigeria Is Better Than A 400k Monthly Salary In USA / 82K Monthly Salary But Confused On How To Go About Saving Something / Peace Corps Not Getting Any Salary But Are Paying Over N45,000 To Join, In Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by CandidAdmin(m): 9:28pm On Jan 10
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by obailala(m): 9:28pm On Jan 10
LagBlogger:
Cost of living plus family responsibilities will make your 400k per month feel like 30k per month.

I don't know what your plans are but if you can find a way to reduce house rent and school fees cost you might be able to save something.

My wife had a friend whose husband was on 60k per month salary in 2015, somehow he managed to save and buy land, started doing uber part time then later resigned his job and faced Uber fully and was able to save to build the house they are living in now.

He moved to Canada in 2022 and she joined him last year with their daughter.

I think their game plan was to set a target e.g buy land, build house, travel abroad, start side hustle and save as if their life depends on it to achieve that target.

Try and set goals then work on those goals as if your life depends on achieving it. It may work, it may not. Just my 2 cents.

In what kind of world does someone who earns N60k monthly buy a land and build a house? A married man at that... Even if he saves 50% of his salary, how do you build a house with N60k salary? undecided

19 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Kingpele(m): 9:28pm On Jan 10
Sorryooo reduce your selfish desires that eat up your salary like living in expensive house , spending lavishly on frivolities

6 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Kam2021: 9:28pm On Jan 10
400k and no savings,..you are extravagant..
People that earn less than 100k still save and live well.
You no need make person waste time begin advice you.

13 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Ebeniz(f): 9:28pm On Jan 10
Reduce some expensive

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by dkidd: 9:28pm On Jan 10
All these illegal space bookers above me sef... That 400k with ur family isn't much at all and it also depends on ur location oo...Meanwhile op that ur car when u take dey buga use am do bolt when u close from work and on weekends at least on the app from morning till about six for evening u go realize more than ur salary monthly be saving that and use ur salary to support ur growing family. It's also advised ur wife should be productive. Engage her. If na shop make she dey run am then be saving u some small expenses. Once the kids close from school dey join her. U can leave the car with them and once u close from work u join them too. After the day y'all go home rest a bit then on ur app and hit the road for about two hours (as u still have to wake early and prep for work next day) u go still realize something. Man work no dey finish till we kpai. Once u fit save up something tangible u can then explore more broader business options. Good luck

3 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by DavidEsq(m): 9:28pm On Jan 10
LagBlogger:
Cost of living plus family responsibilities will make your 400k per month feel like 30k per month.

I don't know what your plans are but if you can find a way to reduce house rent and school fees cost you might be able to save something.

My wife had a friend whose husband was on 60k per month salary in 2015, somehow he managed to save and buy land, started doing uber part time then later resigned his job and faced Uber fully and was able to save to build the house they are living in now.

I think their game plan was to set a target e.g buy land, build house, travel abroad, start side hustle and save as if their life depends on it to achieve that target.

Try and set goals then work on those goals as if your life depends on achieving it. It may work, it may not. Just my 2 cents.

That your wife friend na coded omila, she no know. For you to even believe this thing sef, e show say na akamu head u get

5 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Crafteck1: 9:29pm On Jan 10
I said the same thing a few weeks ago that a man cannot survive with two kids on such a salary in Lagos. You just proved me right, you have to move your family to a location where the housing is cheap education is cheap and food is cheap in order for you to survive and be able to save money while you manage in one room apartment to maintain your job, else you would keep living hand to mouth.

Get your wife a small business so that it can bring in about 5,000 Naira daily to compliment your own income.

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Birdbyrde440: 9:29pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

I hope this my post gets to the FP, so I can get insights from a wider audience; even I know some might not make sense, but one thing I've learnt from the short time I joined this platform, is that - sense dey inside nonsense.

Pardon me, my write fit dey a bit lengthy.

I currently work with a multi-national startup coy. My net pay is a bit above 400k naira (this's at the moment), I've worked for about 2 years. I'm married with two kids and expecting the third.

Now my dilemma is that, I've not been able to save up funds, I feel like my living condition doesn't reflect what I earn. Shingbai like this, I no get for account. The last I could remember, I go deep hand for forex, e nearly give me hypertension (I lost about 2m). I still dey pay debt wey I incur as a result.

Now where I need assistance is, looking at the amount I'm earning, how do I spend? Please for those that will be kind enough to give suggestions, let it practically explained, as in help me break am down to the amount wey I suppose spend, how I suppose spend am, and wetin I suppose save.

I believe say many family people dey here wey get better experiences.

Thanks πŸ™.

Start saving up, it's never too late .
My elder brother when he was earning 500k similar to you, I observed him, when ever he collect salary, he divide into two and give his wife half to feed the family for the month, he holds 150k and invest 100k. He leaves home and comes back late because he was doing uber after work. You have to learn crypto and do it properly, that's the only way or buy stocks(more risky)

7 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by sleeknaija(m): 9:29pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

I hope this my post gets to the FP, so I can get insights from a wider audience; even I know some might not make sense, but one thing I've learnt from the short time I joined this platform, is that - sense dey inside nonsense.

I currently work with a multi-national startup coy. My net pay is a bit above 400k naira (this's at the moment), I've worked for about 2 years. I'm married with two kids and expecting the third.

Now my dilemma is that, I've not been able to save up funds, I feel like my living condition doesn't reflect what I earn. Shingbai like this, I no get for account. The last I could remember, I go deep hand for forex, e nearly give me hypertension (I lost about 2m). I still dey pay debt wey I incur as a result.

Now where I need assistance is, looking at the amount I'm earning, how do I spend? Please for those that will be kind enough to give suggestions, let it practically explained, as in help me break am down to the amount wey I suppose spend, how I suppose spend am, and wetin I suppose save.

Thanks πŸ™.

How much you go pay me if I help you analyse how to spend your salary? undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Crucialgem(m): 9:29pm On Jan 10
Guy you are earning enough oo pls just plan your expenses well, there is a govt worker that collect 150 with 5kids and still do pretty much good thing with it

4 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by DavidEsq(m): 9:30pm On Jan 10
obailala:
In what kind of world does someone who earns N60k monthly buy a land and build a house? A married man at that... Even if he saves 50% of his salary, how do you build a house with N60k salary? undecided
Leave the guy. Some guys no really get head to dey reason sef.

4 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Duyt1798: 9:31pm On Jan 10
Thank you
LagBlogger:

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by DavidEsq(m): 9:31pm On Jan 10
Why e go chat u up? U don dey move like omila😏😏😏😏😏😏

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by astonished: 9:32pm On Jan 10
No one is talking legal betting called forex that gulp his 2 million Naira.

Forex is like betting, and sports betting still better than forex, but people will like to defend nonsense.

So many advert here and there regarding FOREX which the government should ban.

Baba Ijebu is far reliable than.forex

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by obumsway(m): 9:32pm On Jan 10
Oga you are simply extravagant and wasteful. I believe it's your type that wants to wear and do what politicians wear or do

It's better you work on your spending and have the consciousness that ure earning 300k while saving at least 100k.

Let your wife know and cut cost. Get a target savings either to get a house or buy land or an investment.

Most times these money and time don't come as often and don't last for long except ure the owner of the business at least.

Cut on your rent and children school fees even expenditure of the family. Baba the journey is still far

Make we no hear, there was a time my daddy was very rich .... Toh !!!!!

4 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Akalia(m): 9:32pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks πŸ™.
Don't be hard on yourself man. With the current economic reality in Nigeria, 400k salary won't do much for a family man with two kids, expecting another. If you were single i for put blame on you.
Shaa double your hustle by branching out to other viable and sustainable sources of income.

4 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by dannyzakks(m): 9:32pm On Jan 10
Bro your location of residence matters alot. It affects rent ,cost of feeding and other needs. Your wife should be an understanding person too. That is she should demand less, Consider possible relocation, engage in some business and support you save & invest.
Set target for 2024 even if it is local piggy bank save minimum of 10k monthly

3 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Relixy2k: 9:32pm On Jan 10
400k is huge. 89% of families both husband and wife in Nigeria combined, don't earn up to that amount doing legal jobs not referring to yahoo guys and other illegal guys ohh. You ought to be a millionaire even in this economy after 2 yrs plus of earning 400k monthly if well managed. Rent a place not more than 300k a year. Put your children in a school not more than 80k a term. Run from forex, betting etc. I assure you in just a year, you will have huge savings. No mind stories here telling you 400k is small. I can assure you someone on 80k who dream to earn 150k will come here to tell you 400k is small.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Iamzik: 9:33pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks πŸ™.

Oshey sinzu spending πŸ’°

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by obumsway(m): 9:33pm On Jan 10
obailala:
dey play !!!! When u have a goal, it's unstoppable

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Duyt1798: 9:33pm On Jan 10
Sorry bros, I can't relate to this sir.
AchrafHakimi:
Married men are simps walahi that's why women love them. Girls chase married men because they know they are weak, dumb and easily manipulated.

It takes a certain level of fear to make a man give up his life for a woman.

Tufiakwa!!

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by drerocker: 9:33pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks πŸ™.
We need to flog u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by lawrenzooo: 9:34pm On Jan 10
Ahnii:
I beg to disagree with you sir That money if properly managed he can still save like 50-100k monthly.
I started life with my husband with his meagre salary of 37k and he was still saving 10k monthly.

I dey Google that skyfornia address make I send thunderous slap go give for that comment.

Things are bad yes, but if the op have a prudent wife, on a steady 100k saving can come out of that Salary.

2 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Duyt1798: 9:34pm On Jan 10
Thank you, this makes sense
kelvyn7:
Rule 1 - pay yourself first (10%), into a separate account, without atm card, nothing in this world makes me touch that amount. Do this every month

Rule 2 - if your 3months salary cannot pay your rent, then you are living above your means πŸ˜‰

1 Like

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by ukaface(f): 9:36pm On Jan 10
If you really want to save you would.
Check your living conditions, are you living like you are a prince?
The schools your kids are going to nkor?
When I hear parents say pikin school fees for pikin wey Dey nursery na 100k and above, I come Dey wonder how much them go pay when pikin enter secondary school. Tor!
Cut your coat according to your size oga .

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by xukwaa: 9:36pm On Jan 10
N400k wey I dey give for feeding and dem dey tell me say e no reach? Dem go even abuse me on top. My own na real life story. Post on top post!
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Duyt1798: 9:36pm On Jan 10
Okay, thanks.
Joythah:
You need to discuss with your wife... Nothing the elders tell you here will work without her.
Hope she's the prudent type o otherwise you are in soup
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Bamzas: 9:36pm On Jan 10
β€Ž
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by OZIOGU1: 9:37pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks πŸ™.

My brother check your lifestyle

I am married with four kids, My current net is around that amount, I do adashe (contribution) of 150k monthly, give my wife 80k, set aside another 20k monthly for end of the year celebration, give my kids 5,4,3&2k each from senior to junior, 60k for my fuel for the month, the remaining amount goes for unforeseen circumstances that may arise, mind you I don't smoke, drink, but once a while i hangout with colleagues.

going to work, from my shirt, to trouser, shoes and wristwatch is less than 20k, I dey go bend down select well okrika, na my wife way of changing my wardrobe be that...with all these , I was able to erect a 3bed in 3yrs.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Cassandraloius: 9:37pm On Jan 10
400k is a big money.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Number Of Persons That Lost Their Jobs In Nigeria:The Second Quarter Of 2015 / Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews / How Journalists Around The World Risk Their Lives.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.