Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,450 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About (32854 Views)

3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria / Get Quick Loan To Pay House Rent From Page Financials / How Do I Increase My House Rent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by millionboi2: 6:26pm On Jan 16
kingcjay:
Someone cannot live in Abuja in peace again. It's either bandit, one chance, agboro or house rent breathing down your neck.
Na Japa dey my mind.
4 japa thy no dey pay house rent
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Procashtips(m): 6:34pm On Jan 16
jmoore:

Story! Do you know what is inflation?
Is the cost of rice today same as 11 years ago?

And is the inflation affecting houses built 20yrs ago?

A house with olden days amenities trying to collect same rent with those with recent/modem amenities.

Greed is going to make you guys have tenants who won't pay you a year after.

You're already complaining from your previous comments about tenants owing you not knowing it's because of how you guys keep increasing rent even though the building aren't worth the amount.

Is the salary of the tenants not affected by the same inflation and is their salaries being increased in proportion to how you guys increase rent?

Imagine 2 bedroom on the mainland averaging ₦1m-₦1.5m annually.

1 Like

Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by jmoore(m): 6:43pm On Jan 16
Procashtips:

And is the inflation affecting houses built 20yrs ago?

A house with olden days amenities trying to collect same rent with those with recent/modem amenities.

Greed is going to make you guys have tenants who won't pay you a year after.

You're already complaining from your previous comments about tenants owing you not knowing it's because of how you guys keep increasing rent even though the building aren't worth the amount.

Is the salary of the tenants not affected by the same inflation and is their salaries being increased in proportion to how you guys increase rent?

Imagine 2 bedroom on the mainland averaging 1m-1.5m annually.

When you build your own, you will understand.
Old houses even get space. The new houses are like cages. Baby no go even see space to crawl.
Once again, you don't know what is inflation. Is the purchasing power of 1,000 naira today and 10 years ago the same thing?

1 Like

Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Irupetepete: 6:44pm On Jan 16
Nazgul:

Una Sabi lie for this Nairaland Sha.

A landlord would build a block of flats of 2 bedrooms each, ensuit, pvc, tiles, spacious kitchen...etc, and put his rent at 300k?

How old are you sef, do you know the cost of building materials in the market? So the landlord wouldn't recoup his investment abi?

How much then is self con and 1 bedroom flat?

De play.
no be all landlord dey greedy, dm me and I will give you the address to come confirm....

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by sirblend: 6:44pm On Jan 16
morgan100:
Recently my family and I moved to Abuja and getting accommodation has been a serious issue. Not that there is no accommodation, however, the cost is something else. We tried Orozo, a good one-bedroom flat goes for 400k, total package over 500k, which is very high for a one bedroom flat in such location. We tried one-man-village after Maraba going to Masaka, same story. My budget was even 250 to 300k.

Houses plenty for orozo na

Omo, I am frustrated already.

Funny enough, the houses that can go for 300k won't have running water, ancient houses that you will have to spend money on to renovate.

And you see those Abuja agents, most of them will have a special place in hell. They have shown me shege.

Up until now, we have not been able to secure an apartment.
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Irupetepete: 6:45pm On Jan 16
kpaofame:

which area in Ibadan?
gbekuba charity
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by PaulH07: 6:51pm On Jan 16
Sonnobax15:
grin
Should we blame the landlords?

Hell no!!! You can't blame them when cost of building materials is steadily increasing...

Reminds me of 2022 when I paraded some yahoo boys who were looking for a 2-bed room apartment....We finally got to find one and the landlord pinned the house rent down to #850k yearly.....I almost OFF that moment......Money wey dem take buy keke carry give me as higher purchase nai these boys wan splash throway just like that,that was the thought that was running in my mind cheesy. The landlord was even saying his own was the cheapest in the area angry. Like WTF....... Y'all need to see the kind bad eye wey I take look am like say na me get the money cheesy

Omoh,I like where I dey right now abeg......Very cheap, peaceful,water dey,well tiled and pvc ceiling grin. And most importantly,fine bannies come still surround me join as a bonus tongue

Where you dey is definitely not in Lagos, if it is, it's not in a good place at all...
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Dexy4yah(m): 6:54pm On Jan 16
adisacool:
Why should they not be blamed
Building materials you said
Is the house newly built or was there a major maintenance that require extra money
We all need to stop blaming the government rather than we punishing ourselves.

Don't mind them
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Paraman: 6:54pm On Jan 16
chccho:
If u feel house rent here is too high u can try UK, USA, South Africa
Have you consider their minimum wage compared to that of Nigeria too?

1 Like

Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by BigCowHornn: 7:09pm On Jan 16
Earthquakes:
Once you build your own
You can decide to lease it out for free. smiley

But by the way Nigeria has the cheapest house rent in the world, my one month rent in Canada is my 3 yrs rent in PH.

But yes you can always find a way to make the money unlike in Nigeria.

I'm in the USA and i have lived in Nigeria for years. Stop talking nonsense

There are places you'll go in Lagos and Abuja and can't afford to live there
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by chccho(m): 7:09pm On Jan 16
Paraman:
Have you consider their minimum wage compared to that of Nigeria too?
Exactly!! Our minimum wage is very poor compared to theirs, however i am still of the opinion that our rent here is very very cheap compared to theirs. Here we pay per annum, they pay per month and trust me its not cheap. Imagine someone paying $500, or £500 on rent alone per month thats excluding, water bills, electricity, internet, insurance etc.. All monthly.
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by MeezPat(f): 7:12pm On Jan 16
What location.is it still up
Mcslize:

These rents you posted will only be feasible for old houses. A standard bed sitter with POP, standard kitchen cabinet, heater and wardrobe, you won't even see it for 250k.

There was 1 spacious 1 bed room flat somebody posted in one WhatsApp group I am in. It goes for 620k including every other fees. Actual rent was 450k.

The apartment is fine though. So, it's worth it. But those fees up there, can only be possible for old houses with those old asbestos ceilings.
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by rukyboy(m): 7:14pm On Jan 16
jmoore:

Old houses even get space. The new houses are like cages. Baby no go even space to crawl.
Once again, you don't know what is inflation. Is the purchasing power of 1,000 naira today and 10 years ago the same thing?

Yeah.

I wonder why most new houses have very small rooms
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:16pm On Jan 16
ravensckar:
It's just getting started o. Sometimes, I wonder how the upcoming generation will 'breathe'.

Around Sangotedo area where I currently stay (Close to BLENCO), a decent Room & Parlour self contain used to be 450K-500K per annum. Now, it's around 650K-700K. 2 bedroom flat then used to be 700K-750K, it's now 900K-1M.

I had a quarrel with my landlord late last year about the Compound Gate & pumping machine. Baba dey threaten me with Quit Notice. Meself dey shout for am sey I no send. After scouting for houses nearby and hearing the price, na me use my two leg go make peace. It's now I know why the other tennants have remained loyal. cheesy cheesy

Lagos landlord no be anybody mate. cheesy cheesy
May God help me to finish my house too this year, I don tire to dey pay rent and still dey act humble.

If this is what you pay for in that axis, and it's a decent place, please be very nice to your landlord.

I was househunting up until last week. A decent mini-flat goes for 900k to 1m. Rent alone.
2-bed goes for 1.3m to 2.2m..
Anything less than this, that person is part of the 0.005% lucky, or the house isn't nice in any reasonable way.

1 Like

Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Jeboy(m): 7:29pm On Jan 16
But he is right now.

My wife's rent per month in Canada is almost my two years rent in Lagos.

The problem is not the rent but our earning power. In Canada shared room apartment can go for like 600 CAD to 800 CAD per month that's like 600k to 800k per month but u can also get a very easy job in a farm where you can earn 160 CAD to 200 CAD (about 160k to 200k) per day.

So the problem is earning power. Reason they say Nigeria is the poverty capital of the world.

Tooreda:

See nonsense comparison.

2 Likes

Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by millionboi2: 7:30pm On Jan 16
adubam:

Try Dagbana Jikwoyi. Good houses but a bit inside but far more closer than Orozo and better than Maraba, One-man-village in terms of traffice flow
u never jam traffic for dat jikwoyi karu road abi.
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Procashtips(m): 7:33pm On Jan 16
jmoore:

Old houses even get space. The new houses are like cages. Baby no go even see space to crawl.

Not when, I'm not talking from the outside, so die the "when you build your own mantra".

I won't rent out my house built when cement is selling for ₦4500 at ₦1.2m for 3 bed per year with all modern facilities only for olden days houses to want to be collecting same rate with me.

This is what is causing the almost constant increase in rent.
Old houses that bought cement for less than ₦1500 trying to collect same rate with those who bought for ₦5k+.

I'm not talking about developer's prisons they call modern houses. I'm talking about 15 by 13 living room, 12 by 12 bedrooms.

Telling me I don't know inflation is like telling a swimmer be doesn't know how to hold his breathe.

Inflation got nothing to do with old houses that hardly upgrade their facilities to modern ones trying to collect same rate with modem houses.
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by nwabuezeifeanyi: 7:33pm On Jan 16
Lol I envy u
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Procashtips(m): 7:42pm On Jan 16
Jeboy:
But he is right now.

My wife's rent per month in Canada is almost my two years rent in Lagos.

The problem is not the rent but our earning power. In Canada shared room apartment can go for like 600 CAD to 800 CAD per month that's like 600k to 800k per month but u can also get a very easy job in a farm where you can earn 160 CAD to 200 CAD (about 160k to 200k) per day.

So the problem is earning power. Reason they say Nigeria is the poverty capital of the world.

This is where you guys are missing it.

When your earnings increases, rent is going to automatically increase too.

Do you think rent was 600-800 CAD 3 or 5 years ago like you mentioned?

Countries with lower income also pay low rent

Iran
China
Russia
Romania etc..

To an outsider,they earn low, but what they end can also cater for their cost of living within their country.

Those earning 3000 CAD per month before tax even need other jobs to be able to pay their rent and handle other aspects of life within canada, reason why many end up sharing apartment with strangers.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by utepu: 7:45pm On Jan 16
Na wao

post=127964813]Renting house has become a big issue for low income earners in the country.

Landlords on their part are not helping issues, they are just increasing rent at any slightest inflation being conveyed.

E sure me say a lot of people go reach village this year, the way things are going

1) To the elders with experience, how do u navigate or cope

2) Where in Lagos can an individual rent a good house(with good light and good water facility)

3) like how much an individual need to get a good house in Lagos or any state in naija

Some of us are just managing

This life is not 4 the weak

Suggestions, criticism are welcomed...

Mods put the post in the right section[/quote]
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by franugo(m): 7:46pm On Jan 16
Earthquakes:
Once you build your own
You can decide to lease it out for free. smiley

But by the way Nigeria has the cheapest house rent in the world, my one month rent in Canada is my 3 yrs rent in PH.

But yes you can always find a way to make the money unlike in Nigeria.

Be like na toronto you dey cheesy grin angry
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Tonididdyx: 7:52pm On Jan 16
Mcslize:

Which Edo? All those old Edo houses right? Edo people that don't like building good houses for tenants to rent. It's recently some persons have started building modern standard houses that come with basic features like POP, kitchen cabinet and wardrobe. Old houses full Edo.

Oga na hase rent we on about not what kind of structure!
There are modern houses all over Edo for rent, same way the old structures still exist.
It's called an "ancient city" for a reason.
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Clazzone(m): 7:54pm On Jan 16
Will you keep quite??
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Tonididdyx: 7:59pm On Jan 16
Procashtips:

Not when, I'm not talking from the outside, so die the "when you build your own mantra".

I won't rent out my house built when cement is selling for ₦4500 at ₦1.2m for 3 bed per year with all modern facilities only for olden days houses to want to be collecting same rate with me.

This is what is causing the almost constant increase in rent.
Old houses that bought cement for less than ₦1500 trying to collect same rate with those who bought for ₦5k+.

I'm not talking about developer's prisons they call modern houses. I'm talking about 15 by 13 living room, 12 by 12 bedrooms.

Telling me I don't know inflation is like telling a swimmer be doesn't know how to hold his breathe.

Inflation got nothing to do with old houses that hardly upgrade their facilities to modern ones trying to collect same rate with modem houses.

You fail to understand the concept of taste and affordability.
If an old house is 10k less than a new house, the choice of an individual can go either way ( I mean 50/50), there is no certainity he will pick the new house.

Talking about cement of 1500 then vs cement of 5000 now.
Simple question: is there a different foodstuff market for the rich only? Isn't it same market both lanlords in questions attend in the present?
So forget that comparison shit.... Like the other guy told you, when you build your own hase, you'll know why the sky is blue!
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Tonididdyx: 8:17pm On Jan 16
gerizzim:
seems it's all ova Lagos landlords increase their huz rent. Increment in rent is normal bt the top up most of dis huz owners add is crazy and aside this ,some wil increase your rent few yrs after you packed in.
Imagine a huz owner increasing huz rent 2years after the person moved in and also telling the person to pay to construct borehole in the compound. Not that the borehole money will be deducted from his NXT yr rent.

I was forced to get a land and start building when my landlord increased my rent by 60% . and it will keep on increasing. I had to give my sef sense quick.
ThankGod, the project have started.
Now your bulidng yours, I hope it will be free rent?
I know you're not feeling the heat but wait till you start foundation.
Na land you just clear buy sand and granite
Wait till you start to buy cement and set the structure...
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Bizibi(m): 8:17pm On Jan 16
DonFreshmoney:

Was it a one bed or 2 bed apartments..
two bedroom apartment,my problem is the environment,the price should be less.
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by DonFreshmoney(m): 8:22pm On Jan 16
Bizibi:
two bedroom apartment,my problem is the environment,the price should be less.

I agree with you. I rented my 2 bedroom BQ last year for 700k inside kugbo furniture market.. I could have said over a million but I understand people were suffering.. I have a one bedroom and parlor space in gaduwa estate, I'm renovating atm .. it's N1.2million.. cos it's inside town
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by MEDOthaOG: 8:33pm On Jan 16
Wow for real lagos here is very expensive, thank God someone posted this. I'll like to inquire guys where I fit get self contain that relatively close to island around 300-400k(complete package oo) your responses are well appreciated
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by hotplate: 8:36pm On Jan 16
Nazgul:

Where in Abakaliki do you reside?

150k for 2 bedroom flat in Abakaliki.

How much is self con at presco, and how much would 1 bedroom flat be?

Sufry de lie abeg.

As you mention presco it brought back so much memory it reminded me of when I was serving in Abakaliki in 2019. I lived around presco then, Behind the then presco campus. As at that time a single room self contain at Democracy estate was already going for between 100k-120k... I was lucky to get the one I was staying then at God's own hostel for 80k.. Over all sha ebonyi state is cheap to live in, I stayed back for another year after NYSC before I left because there isn't much opportunities for young graduate.
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Nijimog: 8:39pm On Jan 16
koladebrainiac:
its just 4 hundred naira go -come for my tfare, e no far from my house
I know someone that came around unity estate at ibafo to look for house, said house was costly there

Where do u advice he look for affordable houses at ibafo for rent (his budget is between (N200-N300)
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by Sonnobax15(m): 8:47pm On Jan 16
morgan100:
Recently my family and I moved to Abuja and getting accommodation has been a serious issue. Not that there is no accommodation, however, the cost is something else. We tried Orozo, a good one-bedroom flat goes for 400k, total package over 500k, which is very high for a one bedroom flat in such location. We tried one-man-village after Maraba going to Masaka, same story. My budget was even 250 to 300k.

Omo, I am frustrated already.

Funny enough, the houses that can go for 300k won't have running water, ancient houses that you will have to spend money on to renovate.

And you see those Abuja agents, most of them will have a special place in hell. They have shown me shege.

Up until now, we have not been able to secure an apartment.
. Why don't you try suleja.... That's what many people whom I used to know way back in 2015 did
Re: House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About by pacespot(m): 9:15pm On Jan 16
This is a really serious issue that government needs to look into. Rent is a major factor driving the inflation in this country. Not that the condition of the housing is better than before, landlord will just wake up overnight and increase the rent. Housing is a capital project which needs to be under the government control, just like you have regulatory framework for real estate in advanced countries.

Where is the "commodity board" Tinubu promised during campaign to regulate the prices of good and services in this country so as to protect consumers from exploitation?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Plots Of Land @ Oakwood Park Estate Near RCCG Redemption Camp Nigeria (Pictures) / Ayhomes & Gardens. Sold Out / Prices Of Doors In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.