Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,465 members, 7,812,426 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries (8926 Views)

Rufai: GRV Doesn’t Have Experience; Obi: Yes, He Has No Experience In Corruption / Lauretta Onochie Accuses Obasanjo, Ezekwesili Of Influencing Corruption Index / Nigeria Ranks Lower On 2019 Transparency International’s Corruption Index (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by fergie001: 10:08am On Jan 30
Nigeria has moved up five (5) places in the 2023 Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) released by Transparency International on Tuesday.

Nigeria is ranked 145 out of 180 Countries and territories, with a +1 score range (25/100) better than 2022.

A country’s score is the perceived level of public sector corruption on a scale of 0-100, where 0 means highly corrupt and 100 means very clean.

The Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) is the most widely used global corruption ranking in the world. It measures how corrupt each country’s public sector is perceived to be, according to experts and businesspeople.

The data sources used to compile the CPI specifically cover the following manifestations of public sector corruption:

-Bribery

-Diversion of public funds

-Officials using their public office for private gain without facing consequences

-Ability of governments to contain corruption in the public sector

-Excessive red tape in the public sector which may increase opportunities for corruption

-Nepotistic appointments in the civil service

-Laws ensuring that public officials must disclose their finances and potential conflicts of interest

-Legal protection for people who report cases of bribery and corruption

-State capture by narrow vested interests

-Access to information on public affairs/government activities

The CPI however does not cover:
-Citizens’ direct perceptions or experience of corruption
-Tax fraud
-Illicit financial flows
-Enablers of corruption (lawyers, accountants, financial advisors etc)
-Money-laundering
-Private sector corruption
-Informal economies and markets

Nigeria was ranked 150 out of 180 Countries and territories with 0 score change at 24/100 in 2022.

SOURCE

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by Paraman: 10:14am On Jan 30
Officials using their public office for private gain without facing consequences. the former CBN governor.

Base on how Tinubu is tackling corruption, Nigeria might be among the top 20 and will be among the top 30 before may 29 2027.

17 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by oz4real83(m): 10:17am On Jan 30
I pity the citizens whose countries are more corrupt than Nigeria shocked

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by Daguccizgreat(m): 10:18am On Jan 30
Grand father of corruption is in power. Nothing will get better under his regime

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by crossfm: 10:25am On Jan 30
Hehehe.

Wonders shall never end,you mean there are countries who are more corrupt than Nigeria grin cheesy.

Omo I fear such countries.

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by JasonScoolari: 10:35am On Jan 30
Paraman:
Officials using their public office for private gain without facing consequences. the former CBN governor.

Base on how Tinubu is tackling corruption, Nigeria might be among the top 20 and will be among the top 30 before may 29 2027.

A round of applause for this 🤡

He said something correct today

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by matify83: 10:47am On Jan 30
We should be moving downward instead.

With the way corruption is trending in this country, we should have been at 180.

Wonder what those other countries below us are doing that we don't hold GWR in.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by TimeManager(m): 10:50am On Jan 30
Might really not be far from the truth, an average nigerian in our private space, goes to buy goods worth of 50,000 in the North, sell in the South for 150,000 and then blame the Government for hike in price rather than the greed of an average individual. You walk into a shop to buy a product for a price, when you go back to same seller the next day to buy same product still in stock, he inflates the price by some margins, inflating the price of an old stock. Greed breeds corruption, an average Nigerian is made of greed.

-kiss the truth!

18 Likes

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by HighclearWork: 10:57am On Jan 30
matify83:
We should be moving downward instead.

With the way corruption is trending in this country, we should have been at 180.

Wonder what those other countries below us are doing that we don't hold GWR in.
Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by meum: 10:57am On Jan 30
Na dia dem Dey see you! Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by richiemcgold: 10:58am On Jan 30
Government is corrupt.
The people are corrupt.
Even churches and mosques are corrupt.
Corruption and Nigerians are just like this:

14 Likes

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by sslcrypt: 10:58am On Jan 30
Ok

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by Starboytwo(m): 10:58am On Jan 30
Progress.
Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by GanagiBitrus: 10:58am On Jan 30
Abeg which country dey #180.
🤔
Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by EreluRoz: 10:59am On Jan 30
So there are still countries worse than Nigeria and Nigerians are quick to portray the bad image to the world.
Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by harsysky(m): 10:59am On Jan 30

I don't think the guy far above me understands what corruption is. When I buy a product and decide to sell times 10 of what I bought, it hasn't made me a corrupt person. I have not taken anyone's money through fraudulent means because even the person whom I am selling to has a choice whether to buy or leave.

I think the number one problem of Nigeria is that the youths do not know their left from right. Someone steals you dry and all you could call corruption is a trader who toils day and night even in the midst of bandits to bring down goods to the people. Can you quantify the bad roads? Can you quantify the insecurities? What about the cost of transportation? When the youths wake up, this country will be better. We, the youths, are the major problem of this country.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by oyeb15: 10:59am On Jan 30
Can there be any country worse than Nigeria in corruption.......

I gave my friend 10k cash to give somebody in next town. He went Awol. He no fit pick call again. I started hearing his account get problem etc .....on what I gave him cash to deliver.

We are all criminals in this country.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by saasala(m): 11:00am On Jan 30
145 out of 180 countries?

So there are 35 other countries more corrupt than Nigeria. I'm really stunned to know this.

Those countries go bad gaan o. Chai!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by Calitoscassius(m): 11:00am On Jan 30
Well deserved position, Naigeria is a fantastically corrupt country.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by Generalyemi(m): 11:00am On Jan 30
grin grin

God will not forgive PDP for allowing APC to enter power
Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by MadamExcellency: 11:01am On Jan 30
This set we have now is the most corrupt civil service in a century.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by muller101(m): 11:02am On Jan 30
TimeManager:
Might really not be far from the truth, an average nigerian in our private space, goes to buy goods worth of 50,000 in the North, sell in the South for 150,000 and then blame the Government for hike in price rather than the greed of an average individuals. You walk into a shop to buy a product for a price, when you go back to same seller the next day to buy same product still in stock, he inflates the price by some margins, inflating the price of an old stock. Greed breeds corruption, an average Nigerian is made of greed.

-kiss the truth!
Well said. Venture into such business let's see how far.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by Gbadugbakun(m): 11:02am On Jan 30
cheesy
Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by Lemos14: 11:02am On Jan 30
This statistics is false. Nigeria is called the corruption capital of the world for a reason.
Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by APCREP: 11:02am On Jan 30
I wish everyone will give their life to Christ genuinely follow his teachings and be diligent and truthful in their works lots of things will have automatic turn around. But the heart of some people is just so wicked.
Kidnappers can justify their claim of wickedness and corruption, politicians too, even civil servant, traders, bankers, aboki changing dollars, people selling cars, people clearing cars, top people in all sectors, Internet fraudster, every every let's allow the spirit of God to rule and reign in us so things can be better ...I don tire abeg
Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by FalseProphet1(m): 11:03am On Jan 30
I see Nigeria grabbing first position before just this year.

This I have seen.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by owiko(m): 11:03am On Jan 30
D
Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by callmevirus(m): 11:03am On Jan 30
Nothing concern me but E dey mind

Number 1 sure Naija before this year end
Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by 1Alex: 11:03am On Jan 30
The data sources used to compile the CPI specifically cover the following manifestations of public sector corruption:

-Bribery

-Diversion of public funds

-Officials using their public office for private gain without facing consequences

-Ability of governments to contain corruption in the public sector

-Excessive red tape in the public sector which may increase opportunities for corruption

In my office, we contribute to buy printer and ink for the printer, we contribute to repair broken furniture, repair ACs, even to buy data for office use, to repair operational vehicles. And many more.

Na federal government office ooo
Re: Nigeria Moves Up 5 Places In Corruption Index, Ranks 145th Out Of 180 Countries by tobenuel(m): 11:05am On Jan 30
We going higher, next year we go enter 170

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lawan & Boniface Emenalo Granted Bail / Massob Give 48hrs Ultimatum To SSS Over Detained Leader / CNPP Cautions Jonathan On Chinese Neo-colonialism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.