Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,944 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. (26131 Views)

Please Help Me With A Job! I'm Depressed / Please I Need A Job. I'm In Lagos / 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by WeirdAlien: 11:46am On Feb 01
This is the kind of story I like to hear!
There are global opportunities for you, once you get some experience. React Devs are always sought after - sleep with it, make love to it and impregnate it. grin
Pick up some idea of Node.js, Mongodb, and familiarity with C# .net along the way.
Even now, you can start looking out for short contract global jobs to boost your profile.
Wish you the best!

8 Likes

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Bimlite(f): 11:52am On Feb 01
Congratulations bro
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Zionzoom(m): 12:28pm On Feb 01
Congrats boss, more wins
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Aloof: 12:30pm On Feb 01
chinasaekpere:
meta frontend coursera course.

Although, you will still need some other resource but this will teach all the basics.
You can actually learn from any resources if you are determined. And in tech, you can never stop leering. No one is perfect here, if you want to stop reading then tech is not for you

I'm actually done with HTML, CSS and JavaScript basics.

I'm actually deep into Java script for now, using freeCodeCamp.

How did you manage to be disciplined, what was your motivation?

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Think9ja(m): 12:35pm On Feb 01
Congratulations bro!

12yrs of frustration no be joke

I'm the next in line for a testimony

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by bisqit: 12:53pm On Feb 01
chinasaekpere:
meta frontend coursera course.

Although, you will still need some other resource but this will teach all the basics.
You can actually learn from any resources if you are determined. And in tech, you can never stop leering. No one is perfect here, if you want to stop reading then tech is not for you
where can I learn coding?
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by chinasaekpere: 1:30pm On Feb 01
bisqit:
where can I learn coding?
I just mentioned where I learnt from
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by chinasaekpere: 1:30pm On Feb 01
Aloof:

I'm actually done with HTML, CSS and JavaScript basics.

I'm actually deep into Java script for now, using freeCodeCamp.

How did you manage to be disciplined, what was your motivation?
I was disciplined because I knew that I had no other option

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by chinasaekpere: 1:31pm On Feb 01
LandMann:

Are you from a science background?

Does coding involve a lot of maths? Complex maths?
I'm from a science background however it does not matter.

Web and and software development does not require mathematics, it's just logic. However, machine learning and Data science requires a lot of mathematical principles.

3 Likes

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Aloof: 2:19pm On Feb 01
chinasaekpere:
I was disciplined because I knew that I had no other option

Nice one cheesy

But based on your learning pattern, after HTML, CSS, JavaScript, what was the next thing learnt after the JavaScript accordingly

To be a front end developer.

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:29pm On Feb 01
It gets better from here. Keep on upskilling. Also look at cloud systems and try getting a certification in one of them.

13 Likes

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Lovecars501(m): 2:35pm On Feb 01
Congrats man, I'm also thinking of learning tech but I only know about something called XAMPP. It's good to have a supportive and intelligent girlfriend as well

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by chinasaekpere: 2:48pm On Feb 01
Aloof:

Nice one cheesy

But based on your learning pattern, after HTML, CSS, JavaScript, what was the next thing learnt after the JavaScript accordingly

To be a front end developer.
next is learning a framework, usually react for Javascript or Angular for typescript.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by SIXFEETUNDER: 3:06pm On Feb 01
Calm down , no too rejoice

E get why
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Aloof: 3:14pm On Feb 01
chinasaekpere:
next is learning a framework, usually react for Javascript or Angular for typescript.

Daalu nwanne.

Let me keep pushing.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by bisqit: 3:30pm On Feb 01
chinasaekpere:
is it YouTube
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by CHRISTFUCKER: 3:30pm On Feb 01
I day reject any company way no day do better work
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by DataDoc: 3:44pm On Feb 01
Oyindamolah:
Congratulations

I'm hiring for these junior roles

2 Typescript Backend Engineers

1 Frontend Engineer (Vue)

2 DevOps Engineers (knowledge of kubernetes is mandatory)

1 Product Designer

Send an email to joinus@ignite.dev

When will you need a data analyst Sir?

I've learnt Excel, SQL and PowerBI and I'm working on my portfolio project

3 Likes

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by emmy512: 3:55pm On Feb 01
Just gave yourself away grin

See you at the office tomorrow
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by chinasaekpere: 4:20pm On Feb 01
bisqit:
is it YouTube
no coursera

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by teewhydope(m): 4:26pm On Feb 01
congratulations
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by techgen(m): 5:01pm On Feb 01
chinasaekpere:
I graduated from the University 12 years ago. Since then I have been jumping from one job to another with no progress in sight. I discovered that I have been stagnant for Years, so I decided to learn a skill.

I started by learning how to make footwear, I learnt that for a year but I later discovered that it's not what I want to do, although I can make every type of footwear even boots.
Last year I took an online course in frontend web development, for 6 months I studied for an average of more than10 hours daily learning from HTML and now React.js. I learnt figma, scss, CSS, Version control, jquery, bootstrap, Chakra UI and react.js, it was a tough one because I had to forfeit other means of making money. I got hungry so many times, I used my last card to buy data so I can keep studying and doing my projects.

Earlier this month, I finished by portfolio project, I had already worked on 4 projects using react, Jquery, Chakra UI and bootstrap. I designed coupled of web pages using figma.

Earlier this month, my girlfriend who's a data analyst sent me a link for a front-end developer role. In my mind, I didn't feel like I was ripe enough so I didn't apply. 2 days later, I decided to give it a try and so I applied. I was called to come for interview this Monday.

On getting there, the company was working on this revenue web app project they are doing to for a particular state government. I was asked to develop the UI of one of the pages using react, CSS and Tailwind. I have heard of Tailwind before but I have never used it.
I told the interviewer that I have never used tailwind and that I'm proficient using bootstrap. He replied that I should go through tailwind documentation and then use it to style the page on top of react.

So I started reading the documentation, I discovered that it's syntax is somehow similar to Chakra UI which I have used once in my project, the are the same concept of class utility. So I decided to start coding, getting snippets from the documentation and then applying my Chakra UI knowledge to work around it.

To cut the long story short, I coded from 9am in the morning and delivered the page by 5pm.

I was sent an appointment letter today. So my tech journey officially started. It's a junior role though but I'm glad I broke the ice.

The salary is what I have never earned in a month since I was born. 😊

You kept the faith….congratulations, poverty don clear road for you!!!

3 Likes

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by techgen(m): 5:03pm On Feb 01
chinasaekpere:
thank you.

I almoys gave up at some point. Learning tech is fuckinggvg hard men

Learning tech nor hard…na you start late.

You nor know say to grow teeth for old age Dey hard 😁

3 Likes

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by HugeElephant(f): 6:36pm On Feb 01
Happy for you Op.
I wish I had a laptop too and someone to guide me
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by YouMess: 7:20pm On Feb 01
chinasaekpere:
thank you.

I almoys gave up at some point. Learning tech is fuckinggvg hard men
please bro let's be friends I'm about starting my journey in data analyst what's your advice
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by challengemaster: 8:16pm On Feb 01
chinasaekpere:
I graduated from the University 12 years ago. Since then I have been jumping from one job to another with no progress in sight. I discovered that I have been stagnant for Years, so I decided to learn a skill.

I started by learning how to make footwear, I learnt that for a year but I later discovered that it's not what I want to do, although I can make every type of footwear even boots.
Last year I took an online course in frontend web development, for 6 months I studied for an average of more than10 hours daily learning from HTML and now React.js. I learnt figma, scss, CSS, Version control, jquery, bootstrap, Chakra UI and react.js, it was a tough one because I had to forfeit other means of making money. I got hungry so many times, I used my last card to buy data so I can keep studying and doing my projects.

Earlier this month, I finished by portfolio project, I had already worked on 4 projects using react, Jquery, Chakra UI and bootstrap. I designed coupled of web pages using figma.

Earlier this month, my girlfriend who's a data analyst sent me a link for a front-end developer role. In my mind, I didn't feel like I was ripe enough so I didn't apply. 2 days later, I decided to give it a try and so I applied. I was called to come for interview this Monday.

On getting there, the company was working on this revenue web app project they are doing to for a particular state government. I was asked to develop the UI of one of the pages using react, CSS and Tailwind. I have heard of Tailwind before but I have never used it.
I told the interviewer that I have never used tailwind and that I'm proficient using bootstrap. He replied that I should go through tailwind documentation and then use it to style the page on top of react.

So I started reading the documentation, I discovered that it's syntax is somehow similar to Chakra UI which I have used once in my project, the are the same concept of class utility. So I decided to start coding, getting snippets from the documentation and then applying my Chakra UI knowledge to work around it.

To cut the long story short, I coded from 9am in the morning and delivered the page by 5pm.

I was sent an appointment letter today. So my tech journey officially started. It's a junior role though but I'm glad I broke the ice.

The salary is what I have never earned in a month since I was born. 😊
Op, I tap into your testimony. I too will testify very soon.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Ovii123(m): 8:40pm On Feb 01
Kutunban:
Congratulations, I'm currently learning python language and I'm mid proficient . Hopefully I'll take the PCAP certification soon, then start learning SQL although I have little knowledge. I pray my story turn out good soon. I'm learning from W3school site. Python is simple and interesting.
Please can you be my mentor on Python boss?
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by wisdomguy4u(m): 10:40pm On Feb 01
chinasaekpere:

Which city in Nigeria are you. Maybe we can do a job
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Ibkay32(m): 12:00am On Feb 02
Bro Incase there's space for internship, I'm a full-stack developer but I'm proficient in backend using node.js
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by LandMann: 3:49am On Feb 02
chinasaekpere:
I'm from a science background however it does not matter.

Web and and software development does not require mathematics, it's just logic. However, machine learning and Data science requires a lot of mathematical principles.

Thank you
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by chinasaekpere: 6:57am On Feb 02
wisdomguy4u:

Which city in Nigeria are you. Maybe we can do a job
Lagos
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by chinasaekpere: 6:58am On Feb 02
YouMess:
please bro let's be friends I'm about starting my journey in data analyst what's your advice
it's a nice one but note that many Nigerian companies seen not to yet appreciate or are yet to see a reason why they should hire a data analyst. They usually depend on the traditional way of analyzing data or cannot afford to pay a data analyst.

They don't understand the power of data analyst in their organization

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Do Insurance Companies Pay Salary Or It's Just Commission? / WORKFORCE Interview Invite / 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.