Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. - Jobs/Vacancies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. (26135 Views)

Please Help Me With A Job! I'm Depressed / Please I Need A Job. I'm In Lagos / 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Joseph1505(m): 12:01am On Feb 09
Seunpapa65:
Make I buy laptop first

lolz
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by nuelson2016(m): 3:15am On Feb 09
[sub][/sub]Congratulations bro.!!

One thing will learning a digital skill,.is that you just don't feel you are 'adequate' enough to look for job., you keep telling yourself that you are still learning.

Which often limits you.

Same way I have started applying for Copywriting roles., that way I will keep 'learning while earning'
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by chinasaekpere: 5:46am On Feb 09
BBIA:

lol

e get one time wey I forget to add mx-auto to center <div> content. I wasted a whole day trying to figure it out. that time chatgpt no even exist to aid me in troubleshooting cry cry cry

the Good thing is that anything I learn the hard way in programming I can code and troubleshoot even in my sleep.
I will still take out time to look at it very well. Just that most time I am under pressure to deliver some features, so whenever the classes does not give me what I want, I don't have the time to start looking for it, I go just use style prop.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Oyindamolah: 7:58am On Feb 09
jelel6:

Hi,

I'm Interested in the backend role. Any heads ups?
Apply
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by padi94(m): 8:38am On Feb 09
Congratulations bro
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Myer(m): 8:54am On Feb 09
chinasaekpere:
I graduated from the University 12 years ago. Since then I have been jumping from one job to another with no progress in sight. I discovered that I have been stagnant for Years, so I decided to learn a skill.

I started by learning how to make footwear, I learnt that for a year but I later discovered that it's not what I want to do, although I can make every type of footwear even boots.
Last year I took an online course in frontend web development, for 6 months I studied for an average of more than10 hours daily learning from HTML and now React.js. I learnt figma, scss, CSS, Version control, jquery, bootstrap, Chakra UI and react.js, it was a tough one because I had to forfeit other means of making money. I got hungry so many times, I used my last card to buy data so I can keep studying and doing my projects.

Earlier this month, I finished by portfolio project, I had already worked on 4 projects using react, Jquery, Chakra UI and bootstrap. I designed coupled of web pages using figma.

Earlier this month, my girlfriend who's a data analyst sent me a link for a front-end developer role. In my mind, I didn't feel like I was ripe enough so I didn't apply. 2 days later, I decided to give it a try and so I applied. I was called to come for interview this Monday.

On getting there, the company was working on this revenue web app project they are doing to for a particular state government. I was asked to develop the UI of one of the pages using react, CSS and Tailwind. I have heard of Tailwind before but I have never used it.
I told the interviewer that I have never used tailwind and that I'm proficient using bootstrap. He replied that I should go through tailwind documentation and then use it to style the page on top of react.

So I started reading the documentation, I discovered that it's syntax is somehow similar to Chakra UI which I have used once in my project, the are the same concept of class utility. So I decided to start coding, getting snippets from the documentation and then applying my Chakra UI knowledge to work around it.

To cut the long story short, I coded from 9am in the morning and delivered the page by 5pm.

I was sent an appointment letter today. So my tech journey officially started. It's a junior role though but I'm glad I broke the ice.

The salary is what I have never earned in a month since I was born. 😊
Congratulations. The reward for self-denial, diligence and grace.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Konjiboii: 9:05am On Feb 09
Your girlfriend na data analyst and you dey sleep hungry? Women and tight hand. Better break up with that stingy girl.

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Kingsland001(m): 9:41am On Feb 09
@Op, Am happy for your financial breakthrough, May you swap higher in abundance.

Could you plz drop your email, I want to refer an unemployment someone (studied Computer Science in school) to you, so that he can begin his Programming Journey also. Which I think it would be easier for him with your guidance on the right courses to take. Thanks.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by akaahs(m): 10:26am On Feb 09
Do you learn it free or paid?
On Coursera its 7 day free trial afterwards, $49 USD every month
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Trevor10: 1:59pm On Feb 09
Congratulations bro. We go chop this tech money together
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by gentlemate00: 4:13pm On Feb 09
i guess so bitterness dey hin post.Cheers

adonainana:

Abeg free the guy I think he is just angry at self taught developers he thinks they have taken the jobs of cs graduates who weee promised heaven and back just before graduation. He sounds a bit bitter

Even these days all you need is a good portfolio showing links to which projects you have done and the tech stack you have used and how you used them .

Tech is the only one place I can beat my chest that you don’t need connections just be very very good in what you are applying for and it’s guaranteed you are in unless of course someone comes better than you and can do much more than you in that particular scene
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by iwriteall: 5:22pm On Feb 09
MrSly:

You are the one frustrated. Everything you think about is women and fvck. You are very miserable. Your type is the reason why some silky ladies insult men as not having self control. See who is alleging frustration. Person who is already tired of life that all he thinks is sex. You are a big fool and a big disgrace.
miserable rat that lives on nairaland, I'm just seeing your nonsense today because I've been busy

Again, God will punish you grin
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Alabule: 8:26pm On Feb 09
jelel6:

If you're reading this and wondering whether what Mr is saying above is valid, just know he's wrong and his experiences is not what's generally happening in the tech industry.

Even if he's the CTO of Google and Facebook combined, don't take his word for it. In fact, Google, Microsoft, and Apple don't require a CS degree. In fact, if you can prove exceptional in what you do, they won't care if you didn't go to primary school.

All the knowledge you can get in a CS degree is available on the internet for free. You can learn whatever you wish from the internet. Top universities and schools release their CS curriculum and resources for people who wish to learn the fundamentals. The only difference is that you don't get to listen to a 70 years old lecturer read their experience and life history to you in a class setting despite never having work in tech all their life.

If there's one field where paper qualifications holds no inherent value, it's tech and the software industry.

To the author I'm quoting, I'd really like to know the knowledge you applied from your CS degree that helped you solved a problem at work. Be specific, be elaborate, and then explained why you concluded only people with a CS degree would come up with your solution.
You can't change some people's mind about certain things. Just let him be!
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by zagorakis(m): 9:44pm On Feb 09
Teenaira:

No, No and No. If the salary is what will motivate you.......... ??
No be you go tell me wetin go motivate me
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by MrSly(m): 6:52am On Feb 10
iwriteall:

miserable rat that lives on nairaland, I'm just seeing your nonsense today because I've been busy

Again, God will punish you grin
Busy doing nothing. Jobless fellow that doesn't have anything good in his head. Thinks only about women's private part and disgraceing men here and there. Of what good can your brain be? You are busy, Busy rubbish!!!
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by iwriteall: 7:09am On Feb 10
MrSly:

Busy doing nothing. Jobless fellow that doesn't have anything good in his head. Thinks only about women's private part and disgraceing men here and there. Of what good can your brain be? You are busy, Busy rubbish!!!

Very useless person, Everyone knew it as a joke that it was
But the joke flew over your empty head
better go and wash it in the river
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by virginboy1(m): 9:05am On Feb 10
adonainana:

React Js which although most people think is a JavaScript framework is actually a library but a powerful one reason why there are millions of vacancies on it at the moment

So after[b] learning html , css , and JavaScript[/b], react js should be next on the line then next js ( a js framework built on the little background knowledge of Js )

He shouldn’t really worry so much about typescript . JavaScript is just enough for him

Also if you want to really really understand the basic of react js , revise and master these JavaScript topics with extreme seriously

1) destructuting, hoisting, block scopes
2) high order functions such as .map etc
3) functions in general call back functions, promises, async and wait
4) Anonymous functions

Even tbh you can even finesse ur way into being a very good front end developer if you just master these 4 JavaScript sub topics

You will be able to use react js very very well and it won’t be obvious you started learning it 3 months ago lol

Thanks alot for the insighttt.... But

Can one really learn it all... I want to believe there may be some actually common syntaxor particular function,loops,data structures, one need to just master and the rest google or stack overflow can come to the rescue. Because trying to learn every every person fit go kolo ooo or stay yoked in the abysses of tutorial hell.

i just started learning script (vanilla) just hoping i will pull through in this harsh and stressful economy

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by MrSly(m): 9:24am On Feb 10
iwriteall:

Very useless person, Everyone knew it as a joke that it was
But the joke flew over your empty head
better go and wash it in the river

I ain't be surprised if I am talking to a JAMBite. You are too empty. Reckless and stupid child of circumstance.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by virginboy1(m): 9:25am On Feb 10
adonainana:

Oga boss front end development and back end development is basically websites building either to be used as an app on iOS or android or via an internet browser

There are not complex problem solving skills that requires a CS degree to solve

If you understand how the programming language JavaScript works then you will get the gist of what I am telling you .

All front end developers are doing is building interfaces such as login and the parts of the websites you can see . There is nothing complex there if you can speak and write in JavaScript . Whereas back end developers can also use JavaScript via node js to connect what the front end developer did to a server and host it on a platform

For instance Seun used python to build this naira land forum . Trust me there is nothing complex about this forum python wise and you don’t need Cs graduates to diagnose complex problem solving problems

Websites building is more like scripts that if you understand a programming language well enough there is nothing special going on behind the scenes

What most of you Cs graduates should have been doing whilst at university is to have been mastering a programming language of your choice alongside what you were been taught . But most of you didn’t

Now self taught front end devolopers are being paid 1.5m per month to build login user interfaces , you people are saying it’s CS graduates that should get those jobs

It is what it is bro

Chairman, your comments dey ginger my brain hot hot...kudus for taking your time to explain this things.... Moreover i never knew Nairaland was built on Python not until now,

I was thinking it was pure JavaScript...

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by iwriteall: 10:40am On Feb 10
MrSly:

I ain't be surprised if I am talking to a JAMBite. You are too empty. Reckless and stupid child of circumstance.

Shows how dense and stupid you are grin
Idiot thinks everyone is as stupid and wretched like him
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by adonainana: 11:44am On Feb 10
virginboy1:

Can one really learn it all... I want to believe there may be some actually common syntaxor particular function,loops,data structures, one need to just master and the rest google or stack overflow can come to the rescue. Because trying to learn every every person fit go kolo ooo or stay yoked in the abysses of tutorial hell.

i just started learning script (vanilla) just hoping i will pull through in this harsh and stressful economy

Just try and learn the basic and learn it well

There is a way you learn JavaScript that you begin to understand what a particular code of JavaScript is saying

It’s not a sprint but a continuous marathon. Build projects everyday even if it’s table row and table projects . A project is a project

The harder you keep working hard studying it the easier other things in the programming language becomes easier to you such as how to use js libraries to use react and frameworks such as Vue angular and the rest

Vanilla JavaScript is not a bad idea to start just never give up and never relent

Eventually you will get the full gist

2 Likes

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by virginboy1(m): 12:47pm On Feb 10
adonainana:

There is a way you learn JavaScript that you begin to understand what a particular code of JavaScript is saying

It’s not a sprint but a continuous marathon. Build projects everyday even if it’s table row and table projects . A project is a project

The harder you keep working hard studying it the easier other things in the programming language becomes easier to you such as how to use js libraries to use react and frameworks such as Vue angular and the rest

Vanilla JavaScript is not a bad idea to start just never give up and never relent

Thanks alot for this
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by Ibadanpikin: 4:53pm On Feb 10
chinasaekpere:
I just mentioned where I learnt from
Please do you pay for the courses that you use in learning the courses.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by BBIA: 5:44pm On Feb 12
chinasaekpere:
Yeah but tailwind dey Bleep up sometimes.
I want to set w-80 from w-100 and it keeps misbehaving. I just usually use the react style prop to do what I want to do when it starts its wahala, however this means that setting breakpoints will be more difficult.

I am still getting a perfect hank on it Sha but so far, I think it is more flexible than Bootstrap.
Still stumbled on this your reply.

Are you aware that w-100, w-80 are fixed width? (meaning 100px and 80px respectively)

I believe you may want to use percentage width 100% to 80%

% width is represented as fractions eg: w-full (for 100%) and w-4/5 (for 80%) etc..

Be cautious of this.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by CaveAdullam: 6:15pm On Feb 12
virginboy1:

It is JavaScript that will steal that virginity of yours. I bet you. I promise you.

Laughing wickedly.

Looooool

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by CaveAdullam: 6:17pm On Feb 12
adonainana:

Plenty kudos for you chief.

So how come you don't show your face always?

You really walk your talk.

Nice one.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by virginboy1(m): 12:04pm On Feb 13
CaveAdullam:

It is JavaScript that will steal that virginity of yours. I bet you. I promise you.

Laughing wickedly.

Looooool

Hahahaha Senior man why did you say so grin wink
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by CaveAdullam: 8:05pm On Feb 13
virginboy1:

Hahahaha Senior man why did you say so grin wink

You know why.

Javascript is both the maker and destroyer of men.

You'll like it anyway.

1 Like

Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by virginboy1(m): 8:26pm On Feb 13
CaveAdullam:

You know why.

Javascript is both the maker and destroyer of men.

You'll like it anyway.

Please elaborate cheesy

I no understand that destroyer aspect. shocked
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by CaveAdullam: 1:57am On Feb 14
virginboy1:

Please elaborate cheesy

I no understand that destroyer aspect. shocked

Go start learning it.

No more shalaye.
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by virginboy1(m): 7:34am On Feb 14
CaveAdullam:

Go start learning it.

No more shalaye.
Started already... cry
Re: I Just Secured My First Tech Job. I'm So Happy. by CaveAdullam: 9:39am On Feb 14
virginboy1:

Started already... cry

Me too.

I'm with you, baby.

Cry no more.

We will wallow in our tears.

Sigh.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Do Insurance Companies Pay Salary Or It's Just Commission? / 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves / WORKFORCE Interview Invite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.