Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,512 members, 7,812,593 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? (11614 Views)

Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? / Of Church Instrumentalists And Payments / Mike Bamiloye Exposes Church Instrumentalists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by FireUpNow(m): 8:47am On Feb 04
It depends on the agreement when hiring them. Is it for religious way or for business purpose? Is the pastor getting paid and if yes you must also pay the instrumentalists

Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by Bluesearoll(m): 8:47am On Feb 04
The question should be, what does the Bible says about those handling the instruments of praise for God

1 Like

Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by blackgold2018(m): 8:48am On Feb 04
famozine1:
I think since they re working for God they shouldn't be payed salary it will look as if they re working for God for money but they should be compensated and their needs suppose to be met might be money,food,gift e t c
even if the pastors don't pay them. Let them compensate them with work connections. They should connect them with people that will build their career.

That's the best thing this pastors can do for them. Because this pastors know rich people. Since they like connecting majorly with the rich members.

But if you see a drummer(that needs help) but it's not receiving any benefit from his pastor is pure slavery

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by AntiChristian: 8:49am On Feb 04
Payment for work done!

Are pastors not paid?
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by CoolSavannah: 8:50am On Feb 04
They should be paid, I hate cheating. In some churches pastors are paid salaries by their daddy G.O and they also collect tithes.

What if the instrumentalists don't have another job how do you expect them to take care of their families?.......They can decide to sow seeds or pay their tithes to the church, that's also a way of showing appreciation.
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by Ejebleje: 8:51am On Feb 04
When Ebuka-songs comes to minister in your church ,his due is 3 million naira, but those choristers that minister every church service ,their own due is criticism and occasional thank you's and well done .

Are they ministering to different spirits?

Make una continue

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by femi4: 8:53am On Feb 04
ebubeson:
If an instrumentalist or drummer or singer is a full-time staff of the church; and employee of the church; such a person must be paid. It is just like working in a bank. The church is his or her office, so such a person must be paid.

It is wrong to ask for payment when you are a member of a church and still get your source of livelihood elsewhere. You cannot be working in the bank, a company etc, and still tell your pastor to pay you because you are a drummer, instrumentalist, etc. Does it mean you cannot help God's house without being paid?
It's not scriptural, only the ministers of the word and elders deserves some sort of wages as explained by the scripture

1 Like

Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by anonymous1759(m): 8:54am On Feb 04
If the instrumentalist are full time staffs you Pay them , that’s their work shop a church holds 3-4 services in a week , you expect them to be there but you don’t want to pay . It’s wickedness.

2 Likes

Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by Willed042(m): 8:55am On Feb 04
ebubeson:
If an instrumentalist or drummer or singer is a full-time staff of the church; and employee of the church; such a person must be paid. It is just like working in a bank. The church is his or her office, so such a person must be paid.

It is wrong to ask for payment when you are a member of a church and still get your source of livelihood elsewhere. You cannot be working in the bank, a company etc, and still tell your pastor to pay you because you are a drummer, instrumentalist, etc. Does it mean you cannot help God's house without being paid?
When has winning souls for Christ become a business ventures with emoyees that must be paid based on Cadre of authority? I thought God's work, salvation and miracles are freely given without expectations of man made returns? I though the Bible obligate members to only provide foods to missionaries, which in itself is voluntarily? It is obvious Pentecostalism is doing more damage to Christinanity than good.
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by ITbomb(m): 8:57am On Feb 04
1Alex:
If the person is hired to play, you must pay him oooo.

But if na church member who is willing to play free of charge..............
Problem starts when a brother is absent maybe cos of ill health or travel and you hired a temporary replacement and pay him 10k for a day.
Bro will feel bad when he comes back and hear this

2 Likes

Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by Ndipe(m): 9:01am On Feb 04
Luke 10:7 says "laborer is worthy of his hire."
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by udemzyudex(m): 9:03am On Feb 04
Good01:
So you want the Pastor to be eating alone?
What permit the Pastor to take money home should also apply to the instrumentalists.

Then church workers should be paid as well, even choristers should be paid.
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by Akaegwu(m): 9:03am On Feb 04
danowena:
If the church can afford it fine. If not it should be done for free. Nevertheless, if the instrumentalist is earning a living elsewhere, it should be done for free. Freely we have received, freely we give.
Where are they giving it freely? I want to learn keyboard 🎹

1 Like

Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by tizzle(m): 9:05am On Feb 04
Yes
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by SpaceAngel: 9:08am On Feb 04
Where in the bible was it said they shouldn't be paid?

2 Likes

Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by twilliamx(m): 9:09am On Feb 04
If they are solely working for the church why not?
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by PotatoSalad(m): 9:10am On Feb 04
Let me address this from my POV.
You go to work, after work you head straight to church for rehearsal, sometimes your weekends that you're supposed to use rest from work, you spend on rehearsals.
Meanwhile, mr Bayo that does nothing but attend church on Sundays and maybe one or two weekly evening programmes will now come out of nowhere to say you shouldn't be paid.
Oshey father Christmas.
If I get church, you see choristers and cleaners in church are definitely getting paid too, not only instrumentalists.
Anybody that dedicates their time after work to come and do something in church that keeps the church going, deserves a pay.

Rule of thumb is NO START WETIN YOU NO GO FIT FINISH. The day you accept to play for free is the day you subscribed to a lifetime of slavery. You think it'll stop at playing in church? Dey play. Miss one rehearsal and body go tell you.
Your pastor will milk you dry.

This is 2024, not 1980.
Time is money.
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by PotatoSalad(m): 9:13am On Feb 04
Akaegwu:
Where are they giving it freely? I want to learn keyboard 🎹
Lmao leave am. E never chek price of standard music school.
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by Powersurge: 9:14am On Feb 04
I played piano from 2007 to 2018. I was never paid and I did not want to be paid. because I felt if I was paid, I have already gotten my reward (my thinking).

Notwithstanding, for you to dedicate reasonable amount of time to ministry (music), you might have to let go of certain activities that might have yielded you money. While I will not advocate paying instrumentalists in church, except absolutely necessary, their welfare needs to be attended to when the needs arise.

A vibrant church is a church with a vibrant music department.

All my 5 years in school then, whenever I come home, I ensures I played throughout. Whenever I am going back, I did not received any monetary value. And I didn't solicit for one.

1 Like

Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by CoolAmbience(m): 9:18am On Feb 04
FFIA:

Pastors should also get their source of livelihood elsewhere. cool

so someone like Tony Royster Jr can leave making millions drumming in concerts for a living and dedicate his life to drumming for one church 247 for free.

Who do Africa this thing when it comes to religion? cry

Black people matter don taya me, wallahi.

Would Church be Church without instrumentalists, singers and others?

They should be paid irrespective of whether they have other livelihoods. Except ofcourse they decide it to be a willful, voluntary service.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by JONSYN7154: 9:22am On Feb 04
Yes they should be paid.

Are they not paying other Pastors in other branch? Why is it different when it comes to the instrumentalists?

Some Pastors can be so greedy.
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by frankson1(m): 9:22am On Feb 04
Shikini:
No ... the Church is already providing a free platform for the singer/instrumentalist to express themselves.

Most music stars in Nigeria Wizkid, Flavour etc started from the Church

What platform is the church providing for Drummers, Keyboardists, Bassists, Saxophonists etc especially for the first two mentioned who have dedicated their lives and time to service. Some of these people don't do any other work apart from rehearsing 24/7 and playing during every service days.

Don't even reply to argue because I know what I'm saying.
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by babajero(m): 9:34am On Feb 04
ebubeson:

Every Sunday instead of posting life changing messages online, they will instead be posting rubbish or asking stupid questions that doesn't add meaning to the spiritual or physical life of individuals.
If care is not taken it is a Muslim that is given the task to post what concern Christians on Sundays. Shame.

1 Like

Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by tete7000(m): 9:35am On Feb 04
ebubeson:

Some churches hire non members to play instruments for them. Shouldn't those be paid? Church members can volunteer and serve for free.
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by Onucs(m): 9:36am On Feb 04
ebubeson:

The pastors gan gan gan, don't they take salaries?

1 Like

Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by kelvyn7: 9:38am On Feb 04
I dont believe they should be paid. I speak as an instrumental list myself. Cos its no longer service to the Lord when you are paid 🤷🏾 ...especially if the instrumentalist or singer is not a full-time employee of the church
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by fredpeter(m): 9:41am On Feb 04
Ejebleje:
When Ebuka-songs comes to minister in your church ,his due is 3 million naira, but thosw choristers that minister every church service tbeir own due is criticism and occasional thank you's and well done .

Are they ministering to different spirits?

Make una continue
My dear..you drop word here
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by bong4(m): 9:44am On Feb 04
ebubeson:

Must you use instrumentalists? Jesus spoke to thousands without microphone and everyone heard. That alone is a miracle but we rather concentrate only on the bread and fish aspect.
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by frankson1(m): 9:44am On Feb 04
Powersurge:
I played piano from 2007 to 2018. I was never paid and I did not want to be paid. because I felt if I was paid, I have already gotten my reward (my thinking).

Notwithstanding, for you to dedicate reasonable amount of time to ministry (music), you might have to let go of certain activities that might have yielded you money. While I will not advocate paying instrumentalists in church, except absolutely necessary, their welfare needs to be attended to when the needs arise.

A vibrant church is a church with a vibrant music department.

All my 5 years in school then, whenever I come home, I ensures I played throughout. Whenever I am going back, I did not received any monetary value. And I didn't solicit for one.

Powersurge, one of my Keyboardists was being paid as a student and when he got a job, he asked the church to stop paying him.

What we're saying is this, instrumentalists who have dedicated their time and given up everything to serve in the church should be paid.
I know a few who sponsored themselves through school from playing instruments.

These people still have to study to improve on themselves so where will they get funds from?

Imagine as a Sound Engineer, you won't expect that after I have struggled to improve and grow on my own to remain where I don't get paid.

And not to think how some of these churches treat you for a minor mistake you made.

Lastly, Powersurge, "A LABOURER IS WORTHY OF HIS WAGES",
"IF A MAN WILL NOT WORK, HE SHALL NOT EAT".
Re: Should Church Instrumentalists And Singers Be Paid? by AntiWailer: 9:52am On Feb 04
Yes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Prayer For All First Borns!!!(mfm) / WHAT IS BROTHERHOOD OF THE CROSS AND STAR... / Chilling In The Mosque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.