Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,113 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran (22937 Views)

AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards / South Africa Vs DR Congo: AFCON2023 3rd Place Play-off (6 - 5)pen On 10 Feb 2024 / Super Eagles Are In Group A Of #AFCON2023 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by femi4: 11:57am On Feb 10
adefitim:
Ola Aina is one of the best players not only for Nigeria but in the whole of this tournament but the moment he was moved to the left wing back due to Zaidu's absence, he struggled a bit in our last game. The day I feared the young lad was the day Nottingham Forest, his club in England faced Manchester United. He showed them pepper.

If Zaidu is fit, he should start. At least, the number one job of a defender is to stop the opponent and in that aspect, you can't fault him; it is just that modern football also demands wing backs or full backs, depending on the team set up, to also be attack minded and players like Roberto Carlos are responsible for that. Lol

The nucleus three of Semi Ajayi, Calvin Bassey and Troost-Ekong have proven to be a very solid shield for the goalkeeper and the goalkeeper himself whenever he is exposed which has been rare, he never disappoint. So the backline is settled.

The trio of Osimhen, Lookman and Simon upfront have been giving every team we have played serious headache and Cote D'Ivoire will not be an exception.

Nine out of eleven positions have been taken care of so far with two positions left: DM and CM, defensive midfielder and central or attacking midfielder which have been manned by Frank Onyeka and Alex Iwobi respectively. And while I rate the Brentford of England player 8/10 so far in his DM role for the Eagles, I rate the Fulham man, Iwobi 5.5/10.

And I think that Peseiro and his team of coaches understand this and that is the reason Super Eagles creativity has been from the wings especially through Aina and Simon while Lookman has emerged as the talisman with Osimhen dragging opposing defenders with his runs there by creating space for Eluku.

If therefore, there will be any change at all in the starting 11, I will like to see only Yusuf Alhassan take the place of Iwobi. He will make the midfield a bit more solid and his passes are more accurate.

The Ivorians rely a lot on the midfield and we must not allow them take charge. Iwobi is the reason Osimhen overworks. I love him but let's leave sentiment.

Over all, I don't see their luck carrying them beyond silver medals tomorrow.

#SWA
Rubbish

Drop Iwobi for who? Al hassan came in and caused penalties in the last match. You don't just change the chemistry of a team anyhow

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Goodnewsforlife: 11:59am On Feb 10
adefitim:
Ola Aina is one of the best players not only for Nigeria but in the whole of this tournament but the moment he was moved to the left wing back due to Zaidu's absence, he struggled a bit in our last game. The day I feared the young lad was the day Nottingham Forest, his club in England faced Manchester United. He showed them pepper.

If Zaidu is fit, he should start. At least, the number one job of a defender is to stop the opponent and in that aspect, you can't fault him; it is just that modern football also demands wing backs or full backs, depending on the team set up, to also be attack minded and players like Roberto Carlos are responsible for that. Lol

The nucleus three of Semi Ajayi, Calvin Bassey and Troost-Ekong have proven to be a very solid shield for the goalkeeper and the goalkeeper himself whenever he is exposed which has been rare, he never disappoint. So the backline is settled.

The trio of Osimhen, Lookman and Simon upfront have been giving every team we have played serious headache and Cote D'Ivoire will not be an exception.

Nine out of eleven positions have been taken care of so far with two positions left: DM and CM, defensive midfielder and central or attacking midfielder which have been manned by Frank Onyeka and Alex Iwobi respectively. And while I rate the Brentford of England player 8/10 so far in his DM role for the Eagles, I rate the Fulham man, Iwobi 5.5/10.

And I think that Peseiro and his team of coaches understand this and that is the reason Super Eagles creativity has been from the wings especially through Aina and Simon while Lookman has emerged as the talisman with Osimhen dragging opposing defenders with his runs there by creating space for Eluku.

If therefore, there will be any change at all in the starting 11, I will like to see only Yusuf Alhassan take the place of Iwobi. He will make the midfield a bit more solid and his passes are more accurate.

The Ivorians rely a lot on the midfield and we must not allow them take charge. Iwobi is the reason Osimhen overworks. I love him but let's leave sentiment.

#SWA
your last line spoil everything

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by nedekid: 11:59am On Feb 10
So the coach does not know what is best for his team?

3 Likes

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Michaelkelvin1(m): 11:59am On Feb 10
adefitim:

#SWA

Kai iwobi? The guy day try for e passes sha make e just day
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Ubdavis(m): 12:01pm On Feb 10
And u couldn't mention who to replace him..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by dNortherner(m): 12:04pm On Feb 10
Deogratiasfx:

The thing is, whatever you do as long as u have results, you are doing well. If the coach likes let him use Uzoho as the main striker and put Osimhen as the goal keeper.
Kai !!! Wan na fa, ba correct advise ba. You mustn't be joking at times like this...Ka ji ko?
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by ericbertrand(m): 12:06pm On Feb 10
Badassniggga:
Honestly, Iwobi plays like a woman seeing her period and my stomach hurts everytime he loses the ball, and he loses the ball too much 😤

I'm starting to wonder if he is indeed related to the Austin JayJay Okocha family cos he doesn't seem to possess those sharp Okocha football IQ 😷
What an awful take! Disparaging Iwobi based on his family tree is as unintelligent as they come. I just know you’re a dumbo in real life.
Iwobi has been one of the players of the tournament. He and Onyeka do a lot of work in creating chances, ball retention and closing down gaps between the lines.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by aswani(m): 12:07pm On Feb 10
adefitim:

Ola Aina is one of the best players not only for Nigeria but in the whole of this tournament

The same Yusuf that commited a foul for a dangerous free kick, commited a foul fot a penalty, stood still like Soldier Idumota when South Africa took their last minute free kick and let the person he is marking have a free shot at goal from the keepers Save. That same Yusuf àbi?

Ìwobi works hard, keeps his discipline and shape and most importantly puts the opponent on their heels knowing they have to be wary of him at all times.

The one thing this writer and I agree with is about Ọlá Aina, the incarnation of Anọbi Yisa Sofoluwẹ.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by rainluv: 12:07pm On Feb 10
Written by a tribalistic idiot!

Trash 🗑️

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by ericbertrand(m): 12:08pm On Feb 10
Unittyy:
We need Yusuf Alhassan in tomorrow's game, we must not allow the ivorian to control the midfield.
Nigeria’s best chance of controlling the game tomorrow rests with Iwobi. Yusuf offers you no control. He’s basically Onyeka without on-ball abilities. Look at a players temperament in possession so you can judge adequately who can give the control the team needs.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Kinzo0917(m): 12:10pm On Feb 10
adefitim:

#SWA

It was the same yusuf that almost cost d game with reckless tackle inside the area

It was his mistake that led to the death of nigerians who watched the match

Let allow d coach to pick whatsoever he wishes

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Curious345: 12:10pm On Feb 10
Ieobi dey play jagajagaban
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by colonelwealth(m): 12:11pm On Feb 10
DrayZee:
You people disrespect Iwobi too much.
Anybody who cannot see how instrumental Iwobi has been in maintaining our midfield shouldn't be giving their opinions on the squad.
You people always see him as an easy target. You think the coach who made him a starter in almost every match doesn't know what he's doing?
The Yusuf you people have been calling for finally entered the game and delivered an unnecessary penalty to South Africa, nearly jeopardizing our chances at the finals. If that was Iwobi, you guys would have been calling him unprintable names.
"Iwobi is the reason Osimhen overworks", but the same Iwobi has directly granted Osimhen 2 key passes in this tournament, and Osimhen wasted them. If Osimhen was converting the easy chances, he wouldn't need to overwork.

True my guy.
They disrespect the guy too much..
Though he might not perform perfectly most times but that Iwobi is a silent midfield engine that makes the team tick......except for his sluggish play, he can create spectacular passes, attack and score outstanding goals on his good day.
We should accord him his own due respect and critise when necessary.

8 Likes

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by SyrusdeHansome(m): 12:12pm On Feb 10
U don`t see them beyond the silver medal but u want Iwobi 2b benched. Take ur advice to ur village head to release the paliatives federal government gave to him to share and leave football.

11 Likes

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Kinzo0917(m): 12:15pm On Feb 10
inoki247:
Mk we go manage the Zaidu guy with him injury...

And to people still shouting luck if his easy you sef try am...

Just because you followed a ZigZag line and another person followed a Parallel line don't call it Lazy or luck..

The same way you can fall from your ZigZag line is the same way someone else can fall on a Parallel line...

I didn't believe in the eagles from the beginning buh they humbled me so I prefer this than the days of calculator....

Iwobi is bad iwobi is bad is replacement Yusuf first dash SA free kick near the Box before he dash SA Penalty that took away Alot of people's life in that Semi Final....

Help me ask dem oo

because of yusuf, so mary nigerians lost their lives.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by aswani(m): 12:15pm On Feb 10
rainluv:
Written by a tribalistic idiot!

Trash 🗑️

Iwobi's mum is Yoruba I believe.

Just to correct myself, she is Ndigbo as she is Jay Jay Okocha's sister and I confused him for another footballer who has multi-tribal parents

The writer has an opinion on football, I disagree with his take, it doesn't make him wrong or tribalistic.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by sylve11: 12:17pm On Feb 10
inoki247:
Mk we go manage the Zaidu guy with him injury...

And to people still shouting luck if his easy you sef try am...

Just because you followed a ZigZag line and another person followed a Parallel line don't call it Lazy or luck..

The same way you can fall from your ZigZag line is the same way someone else can fall on a Parallel line...

I didn't believe in the eagles from the beginning buh they humbled me so I prefer this than the days of calculator....

Iwobi is bad iwobi is bad is replacement Yusuf first dash SA free kick near the Box before he dash SA Penalty that took away Alot of people's life in that Semi Final....

That Yusuf should be on the bench. Then come in as a substitute. cool

2 Likes

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Slimlord(m): 12:17pm On Feb 10
adefitim:

#SWA

There's no where in the world where creativity is easy to come by via a 3-4-3 formation. It's a defensive formation and relies on the work rate of the wingbacks. Iwobi has been doing his job perfectly

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Christlike01: 12:18pm On Feb 10
adefitim:

#SWA

Oh,come on,you spoilt everything with the highlighted part ! You'll be disappointed tomorrow because Nigeria is winning that cup by the grace of God.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by zudozz: 12:20pm On Feb 10
adefitim:

#SWA

Iwobi does not work hard enough especially when it comes to stopping the opponent, but he gives the team balance when we are keeping possession and time to spread the passes.

6 Likes

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by rainluv: 12:20pm On Feb 10
aswani:

Iwobi's mum is Yoruba I believe.

The writer has an opinion on football, I disagree with his take, it doesn't make him wrong or tribalistic.

Yen yen yen yen 😏
Hyped Ola aina(same only idiot who lost his penalty ball),lookman,ajayi(this one has even be non-existent in the team) then gave others a dash😏

Go and yansh down jo
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by oxygeng: 12:21pm On Feb 10
I don't know who this person is, but he must prepare to step in as the replacement, otherwise his lineage will suffer for eternity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by inoki247: 12:22pm On Feb 10
sylve11:

That Yusuf should be on the bench. Then come in as a substitute. cool

Lol he was a substitute na afta dem bring him from bench that's when he contributed all the blunder the first foul he committed near the Box I'm not sure he has spent up to 5min sef before the Penalty....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Malawian(m): 12:22pm On Feb 10
You wan remove Minus 1 (Iwobi) come put Minus 2 (Zaidu)

All these "Omo Odo fulani" Yoruba virtue signalling abobakus.

Na NFA work this bone head dey find.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by oxygeng: 12:23pm On Feb 10
Duelee:
Nonsense! The truth is we're bringing home the moda fucking trophy !

He is a total ediot to speak of Iwobi in that manner.

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by jos4kay: 12:24pm On Feb 10
joebeckz:
Iwobi plays a silent role people don't see.

Take him out and see how we get some pressure and error from the substitute.

He might be lazy but he has accurate passes.
So far he's doing what he's asked to do but needs to add energy and Mark the ball a little more and most importantly stop loosing the ball and dangerous places.
Otherwise he has good passes.
The coach sure knows what to do.

There is a reason he keeps using Iwobi.

Check his replacements.
They caused us problems whenever they came on the pitch.
Aribo has been useless.
Yusuf caused a penalty.
I didn't see any improvement bringing him in.

You have point. Let's no forget we don't have a good replacement for iwobi. That Yusuf tackles without sense most times. And VAR is watching .

The winning lineup should still star, no change

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by SpatialKing(m): 12:26pm On Feb 10
Why should he be replaced?

All these bigots that just hate the success of others

Yusuf almost cost of SA match with a ceaseless tackle

Aina missed a penalty

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Geofavor(m): 12:27pm On Feb 10
DrayZee:
You people disrespect Iwobi too much.
Anybody who cannot see how instrumental Iwobi has been in maintaining our midfield shouldn't be giving their opinions on the squad.
You people always see him as an easy target. You think the coach who made him a starter in almost every match doesn't know what he's doing?
The Yusuf you people have been calling for finally entered the game and delivered an unnecessary penalty to South Africa, nearly jeopardizing our chances at the finals. If that was Iwobi, you guys would have been calling him unprintable names.
"Iwobi is the reason Osimhen overworks", but the same Iwobi has directly granted Osimhen 2 key passes in this tournament, and Osimhen wasted them. If Osimhen was converting the easy chances, he wouldn't need to overwork.
The main issue iwobi has is that he doesn't mark at all and plays like a girl whose legs are not strong enough to hit the ball.
The only thing he does is good passes, but not consistently. Sometimes, he passes to opponents. Some other times, he delivers a really good pass.

A standing 10 should at least be able to mark, deliver good passes, and coordinate the midfield all the way to the attack consistently. At Least.

I feel iheanacho will be able to play that position better.

3 Likes

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by fredoooooo: 12:28pm On Feb 10
Who is Sunday in the first place, is he an ex professional player , a coach or a current player..
He can chop his opinion.
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by fredoooooo: 12:30pm On Feb 10
chicfarmer:

Oga how we wan take start 12 players na? undecided
You're really a very wicked coach o angry
Many of dem no normal . grin cheesy
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Emeka71(m): 12:30pm On Feb 10
JealousCobra:

Garbage. . . !
Cote'd'Ivoire win.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Kanu Motivate The Super Eagles: "Only Two Games To Be Champions, We Can Do This" / Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager / Ronaldo Considering Messi Link Up At PSG If Man Utd Don't Qualify For The UCL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.