Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,089 members, 7,811,058 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? (43093 Views)

Over 91 Million Bank Accounts At Risk Of Deactivation As CBN's BVN/NIN Deadline / Sure China Aza / More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 10:58pm On Feb 14
Feldie:
not really. Aza means safe or piggybox in Edo languages where the terms originated from. Yahoo boys use it as a form of slang

Another take. Some said it means treasury. I don't dispute all those takes. But it's also an igbo word for digits, numbers or account number
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by JuanDeDios: 10:58pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:

Certain words are interchangeable in some languages. Obviously, the binis borrowed the word from the igbos. Obi-aza....ain't obi an igbo word?🤷🏿‍♂️

Below is a dictionary
Obi in obiaza is not an Igbo word. Are you ok? Of course, there's an Igbo word obi, but that means something entirely different. And no, aza wasn't borrowed from Igbo. Maybe the Igbo borrowed it from Benin - I don't know and can't make that claim either. But whatever you prefer to believe should be fine by you.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Showguyz: 10:58pm On Feb 14
MallamSpicey:

It's only on Nairaland and other faceless forums that we see retarded takes like this. Where's your etymological evidence that your Benin civilization is older than the Igbo civilization? do you idiots realize people had their own culture, language and identity before your rubbish kingdom abi empire even existed?

Secondly how come you claim the Benin civilization dominated the SE and SS when the most dominant languages in both regions are Igbo or Igbo-related? How come the people you claim to have dominated have more of their cultures present till date across the SE, SS and parts of the Middle belt than your Benin civilization? una go dey just yarn rubbish without using logic and common sense.
So small boy like me go dey teach old man like you history baba we once rule some part of Igbo land
BRO LEARN MORE OF YOUR HISTORY
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://homework.study.com/explanation/was-igboland-part-of-the-ancient-benin-kingdom.html&ved=2ahUKEwjTy4Tx6KuEAxXnYEEAHRqCBtEQFnoECFMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2dYW5u3IADAGVZrlsCyZid

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Showguyz: 11:00pm On Feb 14
AkinPhysicist:

I am just curious. WHEN did Bini DOMINATE Ibos? Provide facts and evidence.
So small boy like me go dey teach old man like you history baba we once rule some part of Igbo land
NO DEY ARGUE GUY YOU NO SABI HISTORY LEARN MORE OF YOUR HISTORY
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://homework.study.com/explanation/was-igboland-part-of-the-ancient-benin-kingdom.html&ved=2ahUKEwjTy4Tx6KuEAxXnYEEAHRqCBtEQFnoECFMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2dYW5u3IADAGVZrlsCyZid

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Tallesty1(m): 11:02pm On Feb 14
folake4u:

Hahahaha. Pastor Tallesty, Well-done Sir.

How did you celebrate Val today?

Make I go sleep sef.
Nah, not pastor.

Evangelist is better, rugged evangelist.

lols, crazy but special days mean nothing to me. Christmass, Easter, Val, Birthday etc. They are just another day as far as I am concerned.

Why go to bed now wey I just dey come? I dey pursue you?
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Feldie: 11:03pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:

Another take. Some said it means treasury. I don't dispute all those takes. But it's also an igbo word for digits, numbers or account number
bro I'm from Edo, my sister had aza when I was small, way way before this yahoo yahoo talks of sure aza and the rest. It's made with clay and has small horizontal opening where you can slip money into. During Christmas you break it and collect the money. The term for that is called "gba aza a" which means to kill the safe in literal translation from Esan language. Even my grandmother knows what aza is.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 11:06pm On Feb 14
AutomaticMotors:

This boy is a child!! I swear na pikin be this make all of una ignore this OZUOR

"Ancestor" wey no fit point book knowledge, pls rest. Me and you cant argue.

There is a great difference btw age and old. Pls study that.

I know the internet is a leveler, but I still engage to refresh my mind. Nobody seeks validation like a fake-wannabe.

A non igbo will say his igbo just to drive his point.
A non yoruba will claim yoruba just to drive his point.
Likewise, a juvenile will lay claim to be grown up by referring to others as kids.

You dont need all that. Your words, your thought process will tell exactly who you are
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 11:09pm On Feb 14
Feldie:
bro I'm from Edo, my sister had aza when I was small, way way before this yahoo yahoo talks of sure aza and the rest. It's made with clay and has small horizontal opening where you can slip money into. During Christmas you break it and collect the money. The term for that is called "gba aza a" which means to kill the safe in literal translation from Esan language. Even my grandmother knows what aza is.

"Gba aza" means kill the safe in esan.
"Gbawa aza" means break the safe in igbo.

I dont dispute your take. 2 truths can co-exist
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by blowjohn(m): 11:13pm On Feb 14
Let's ask Nduka the aza man from sabinus crew

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 11:15pm On Feb 14
JuanDeDios:

Obi in obiaza is not an Igbo word. Are you ok? Of course, there's an Igbo word obi, but that means something entirely different. And no, aza wasn't borrowed from Igbo. Maybe the Igbo borrowed it from Benin - I don't know and can't make that claim either. But whatever you prefer to believe should be fine by you.

"And no, aza wasn't borrowed from Igbo. Maybe the Igbo borrowed it from Benin - I don't know and can't make that claim either. "

Obi is a word. Aza is another word. Obiaza is a combination of two words. Wether in your language or any other language. Go ahead and research

You arent sure aza wasnt borrowed from igbo, but you are comfortable with speculating the igbos borrowed it. Just bring a documented evidence and I wont argue with you. Look, all these languages have books written about them that span over 50-100yrs. Just cite one
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by NPFLADMIN(m): 11:16pm On Feb 14
SK1SOLA:
Enough of all the argument, paste your AZA asap fast fingers.

Opay
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by banky222: 11:18pm On Feb 14
Aza is an Edo word for Bank or a safe for keeping money .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Feldie: 11:20pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:

"Gba aza" means kill the safe in esan.
"Gbawa aza" means break the safe in igbo.

I dont dispute your take. 2 truths can co-exist
oh ok. It seems the languages are similar
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Showguyz: 11:22pm On Feb 14
For those of you arguing
Perhaps the igbos borrowed the word from the Bini because ancient beni dominated western Igboland
Incase you do busy body come my mention read this article first and climb bed and sleep

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by AkinPhysicist: 11:25pm On Feb 14
Showguyz:
For those of you arguing
Perhaps the igbos borrowed the word from the Bini because ancient beni dominated western Igboland
Incase you do busy body come my mention read this article first and climb bed and sleep

We ask you for evidence NOT Bini propaganda.

Do you have evidence or just running your mouth?
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by konvicted77: 11:26pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:
Aza is an igbo word, which means digits or numbers.
Overtime, it was widely adopted in nigeria as a slang for bank account number
LIES, aza is not any igbo word.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Gaddafih001(m): 11:30pm On Feb 14
Zooposki:

The talk does not even sound Igbo. When did you guys start doing yahoo yahoo? Abeg send me your aza. Does that sentence sound like what an igbo boy would say or a benin boy?
So they are now dragging who be lord for wayo.
It is well.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by KosiGee(m): 11:30pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:

You heard it first in benin, does not mean it originated from Benin. It's not a benin word, it's an igbo word.

I’m Igbo but this word doesn’t sound Igbo and it doesn’t mean numbers.
There’s an Igbo word ‘aza’ but it means to sieve.

O na aza mmiri….o na azapu mmiri…

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by MentalHades: 11:31pm On Feb 14
LoveLeadsLand:
Have you ever wondered why bank accounts are called 'aza' in Nigeria?

If you know, tell us.
apart from south east, I don't think anyone in Nigeria knows this stuff.

Nobody in south south calls Bank account aza nonsense
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Showguyz: 11:32pm On Feb 14
AkinPhysicist:

We ask you for evidence NOT Bini propaganda.

Do you have evidence or just running your mouth?
Is it not Google I showed you and you are shouting
Igbo people and Thomas no difference
Abi you want make I call my popcy that is an enogie(chief) to tell you your own history since you won't learn, I showed you ptoog from Google you called it propaganda, I speak you say propaganda how do you want me to please you if you are daft
DON'T YOU THINK YHAT WHEN BENIN DOMINATE WESTERN IGBOS YOU MIGHT HAVE PICKED THE WORLD FROM THEM, BECAUSE THEY DOMINATE YOU AND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND ACCORDING TO HISTORY. SO YOU WILL JUST SHOUT PROPAGANDA AND SLEEP

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by oaktown101(m): 11:36pm On Feb 14
Aza means bank in Bini language.
Indispensable85:

It originated from Benin. Aza is a Benin term for account or a reservoir of money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Madups(m): 11:38pm On Feb 14
JohnAOne:
They are always claiming what belongs to others.
Very insecure and covetous tribe
you well so?
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by JohnAOne: 11:39pm On Feb 14
Madups:
you well so?
Your Mama well so?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by oaktown101(m): 11:40pm On Feb 14
Aza is not ibo. Aza means bank in Bini language. In early 70's before yahoo boys started using the word my mom will tell me in Bini language to take the money to Aza which means bank.
HNICEARTH:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Madups(m): 11:44pm On Feb 14
Eya your mama nor well? E too clear.. Na him make u dey jonz. Send my regards to your moma.
JohnAOne:
Your Mama well so?
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by WINDSOW(m): 11:46pm On Feb 14
AkhereOkaka:

The Bini's in Edo state also call bank account Aza, is not synonymous to the Ibo alone.

We rise by lifting others
Owhioba, no go lift Igbo man o, e go shenk you. Imagine, they wan claim our lingua base on say smartness abi na ment?
Aza, wey be that cloth purse with rope wey mumssy dey keep bar that year.
Emeka Abeg fem!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by OKAIGHELE: 11:51pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:

Certain words are interchangeable in some languages. Obviously, the binis borrowed the word from the igbos. Obi-aza....ain't obi an igbo word?🤷🏿‍♂️

Below is a dictionary
The word Obi Does not feature in that word directly. The fact that Obi is in that word does not mean it would be interpreted as the Igbo “Obi” and Aza. The Obi there has a meaning independent of the Igbo Obi. It means one in charge of A treasure room

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Showguyz: 11:52pm On Feb 14
WINDSOW:

Owhioba, no go lift Igbo man o, e go shenk you. Imagine, they wan claim our lingua base on say smartness abi na ment?
Aza, wey be that cloth purse with rope wey mumssy dey keep bar that year.
Emeka Abeg fem!!!
Na so one dey tictok dey shout say jesus na ibo man
The werey even give am ibo name

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by JohnAOne: 11:52pm On Feb 14
Madups:
Eya your mama nor well? E too clear.. Na him make u dey jonz. Send my regards to your moma.
I say YOUR MAMA, YOUR PAPA + YOU WELL SO?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 11:58pm On Feb 14
Showguyz:

Throway watin you dey burn
Which dey una start yahoo
Men wey enter the system for 2002 for Italy
We my senior bros dey pass me update from Italy in 2016 which dey una start and where una been wan see update start dey there dey zwor

You be big mu².

2002 and you dey zuzu, men don dey run things even before 2000 and you dey cap nonsense.

You be baby abeg, me and you no suppose hold talk if not for this faceless forum.

Which day game enter Benin wey this one just dey cap anyhow?

See ehn if I still mention first 5 cities or town in Nigeria that experienced first set of that game, Benin no go still dey, forget this loudmouth talking of yours.

Na una way sha Osas.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by AkinPhysicist: 11:58pm On Feb 14
Showguyz:

Is it not Google I showed you and you are shouting
Igbo people and Thomas no difference
Abi you want make I call my popcy that is an enogie(chief) to tell you your own history since you won't learn, I showed you ptoog from Google you called it propaganda, I speak you say propaganda how do you want me to please you if you are daft
DON'T YOU THINK YHAT WHEN BENIN DOMINATE WESTERN IGBOS YOU MIGHT HAVE PICKED THE WORLD FROM THEM, BECAUSE THEY DOMINATE YOU AND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND ACCORDING TO HISTORY. SO YOU WILL JUST SHOUT PROPAGANDA AND SLEEP

When you're ready to post REAL EVIDENCE instead of PROPAGANDA, let me know. Until then more power to you in your propagation of lies.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 11:59pm On Feb 14
airsaylongcome:

If the Yahoo we are talking about is 419, no compare Owerri with Benin. In the late 80s when 419 started gaining prominence, na B-side boys they run am then

Young man keep kwayet abeg, you don't know anything.

You be omo-omo, go and ask your elders at home, them go give you the full gist.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Naira Now Undervalued After Float, Bank Of America Says / Femi Otedola Celebrates Children's Day With Photo Of His 4 Children / I Can't Transfer Money Without NIN, Pls Help.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.