Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,801 members, 7,813,636 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. (57127 Views)

Jpmorgan Will Let Consumers Pay With Their Face Or Palm Instead Of A Card (pic) / Free Energy Charger System No Need For Nepa Or Solar / Using Solar Panel As Ups Main Power Supply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by dacool1(m): 1:11pm On Feb 18
oloyemeji:
I have the same setup as exactly like this except mine is just two batteries instead of 4 batteries, I install it last year January but recently the battery does not hold more power so by 11pm it will be down, my installer said i need to add more distilled water to the battery, and I am thinking of adding two more panels to make it 10 and also add two more batteries, what do you advice?

Just dispose those old batteries, you have damaged them. Buy 4 new batteries and upgrade your solar panels

Finally and most importantly, carry out an energy audit and replace all old appliances in your home with more efficient ones. Never draw more than 200watts per tubular battery after sundown.

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by nikaShow(m): 1:12pm On Feb 18
I used the Mtn Lumos inverter for 5 years. Powers all the bulbs in my house , charges my phones and laptops , charges a rechargeable standing fan.

Paid it off and still using it 4 years later. Total of 9 years it has served me now.

Never touched it, no fault at all.

One of my best investments.

I now have added a Bona solar freezer and its complete setup. Solar freezer works with only one battery but 3 solar panels.

I bought an inverter to switch from the freezer to light when everything in the freezer is ice block but the inverter almost always broke down so I just removed it completely.

Leaving the freezer on the one battery alone , 2 years running now and everything for my freezer na ice block.

I am still on grid, but I only use Nepa for Washing Machine, Blender and Microwave. I outsource my ironing to dry cleaner.

I have never owned a Generator.

5 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Scholarforlife: 1:13pm On Feb 18
Gadafii:
In Nigeria we provide our own light, security, jobs, sometimes fixed our own roads cos govt had abandoned it for years, I want to ask…. What exactly are we benefiting from govt as Nigerians ?
This is why I am not an advocate of subsidy removal, it's the only benefit the average Nigerian gets from our successive inept political rulers. Any subsidy removal gives them more money to steal.
If they can't subsidise fuel what about food, transportation and university education?

5 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by oloyemeji: 1:14pm On Feb 18
dacool1:

Just dispose those old batteries, you have damaged them. Buy 4 new batteries and upgrade your solar panels

Finally and most importantly, carry out an energy audit and replace all old appliances in your home with more efficient ones. Never draw more than 200watts per tubular battery after sundown.
The installer did not tell me that the batteries is damaged, could it be that he not been honest?
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Ayo25: 1:14pm On Feb 18
Would you rather prefer anarchy for just one day then? Government might not be doing enough, but certainly there are still benefits you are getting.
Gadafii:
In Nigeria we provide our own light, security, jobs, sometimes fixed our own roads cos govt had abandoned it for years, I want to ask…. What exactly are we benefiting from govt as Nigerians ?
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Jetland(m): 1:15pm On Feb 18
matify83:

I hope so.

I don't reside in Lagos but I order my stuffs from there and they waybill to me in the North central.

I have been fortunate to deal with some honest sellers whom I have never met one on one.

Most reliable amongst them is PENIEL BUSINESS LINKS at alaba market.

You can Google him up
You're living in which part of the North Central, please? I'm in Kogi State
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Igodan76: 1:15pm On Feb 18
*RENEWABLE ENERGY*

QUOTATION FOR THE SALE, SUPPLY AND INSTALLATION OF 5,000VA (5KVA)/48VDC PURE-SINE-WAVE (DIGITAL) INVERTER, AND SOLAR POWER SYSTEM:

*Dear Sir,*

The following is our quotation for the sale, supply and installation of 5,000VA (5KVA)/48VDC Pure-Sine-Wave (Digital) Electricity Inverter, And Solar Power System, for your kind consideration:

QUOTATION:
(1) 5,000VA (5KVA)/48VDC Pure-Sine-Wave (Digital) Electricity Inverter = N650,000

(2) 220AH/12VDC Tall Tubular (maintainable) Batteries: N265,000 x 4 = N1,060,000

(3) Battery-racks (Housing for the 4 Tubular Batteries) = N40,000

(4) 48VDC Battery-Equaliser = N75,000

(5) 400 Watts (Grade A) Solar Panels - Mono-Crystalline: N145,000 x 9 = N1,305,000

(6) High End (High Tech) Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) Solar Charge Controller = N325,000

(7) Solar Profiles, with bolts and nuts and sealants for Installing the Solar Panels on the rooftop = N65,000

(cool 6mm, 4mm, and 2.5mm AC Cables and Accessories for installation = N100,000

(9) 10mm DC (Flex) Cables and Accessories (for Solar Panels wiring and installation) = N115,000

(10) Original Distribution Board with MCBS: N35,000 x 2 = N70,000

(11) Programmable Automatic Timer and Changeover Switch for either the Fridge or the Deep Freezer = N35,000

(12) Transportation and logistics including delivery of all Materials to Site = N40,000

(13) Hiring of Scaffold to climb to the rooftop to install the Solar Panels = N20,000

(14) Installation Charges - for both the Inverter and the Solar Power System = N70,000

TOTAL = *N3,970,000* (Three Million, Nine Hundred and Seventy Thousand Naira).

*Please Note:*
This quotation is based on the prevailing costs of Top Quality Materials, and based on the prevailing Foreign Exchange Rates.

Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Considering the hike in Fuel and Nepa bill coupled with epileptic power supply in Naija. Now, guys using Solar energy instead of Nepa or Gen. How do you guys do it? What type do you use? How do you manage it? I'm thinking of using solar but i would like you to share your experience.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by cletz991(m): 1:16pm On Feb 18
How much did you buy it?
Success957:
I'm really enjoying my bee bee jump solar

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by matify83: 1:17pm On Feb 18
oloyemeji:
I have the same setup as exactly like this except mine is just two batteries instead of 4 batteries, I install it last year January but recently the battery does not hold more power so by 11pm it will be down, my installer said i need to add more distilled water to the battery, and I am thinking of adding two more panels to make it 10 and also add two more batteries, what do you advice?

The only plausible reason for your batteries running low by 11pm could be that you are using non energy efficient appliances which are gulping your stored energy.

Have another solar installer take a look at your system again.

I self educated myself on setting up my solar system by watching and reading plenty stuffs online. Having the knowledge of physics helped a great deal.

6 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by dawno2008(m): 1:18pm On Feb 18
Gadafii:

Absolutely nothing 😭😔😭 angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Osanoghodua1: 1:19pm On Feb 18

I work with BEEBEEJUMP SOLAR Int. in Lagos.
With 3.5m you will get a complete 5kva system for your apartments

Please, what can the 5KVA carry? How long will the battery work before replacement?

2 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by seedic: 1:19pm On Feb 18
Success957:
I'm really enjoying my bee bee jump solar
Been using their s1 for two years now
Light..tv.. charge phone..laptop and have a fan of its own with one solar panel and charge with light too if e dey..was 250k then
No issues at all

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by PotatoSalad(m): 1:19pm On Feb 18
Went solar last August.
No downtime in 6 months. It made me develop interest in smart home system. Now my house is fully automated. All DIY by me.
7.5kva inverter
10kwh LifePo4 battery.
6kw solar panels on the roof.

I feel this heat that everyone's been complaining only when I'm not at home.

I procrastinated for months before saying eff it and went shopping.
Entire setup cost 5.6m
One of my best investments so far.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by poseidon12: 1:20pm On Feb 18
Gadafii:

Nothing. Nigeria is dysfunctional. It urgently needs to be restructured.

3 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by matify83: 1:22pm On Feb 18
Jetland:

You're living in which part of the North Central, please? I'm in Kogi State

Very close to you
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by safarifarms(m): 1:23pm On Feb 18
matify83:

I clearly stated in my post that the AC runs basically in the afternoons only.

There is no way an off grid solar user can be running all his appliances at the same time and for 24 hours continuously.

Lightening only come up at nights

My fans are Qasa standing fans, very energy efficient.X 6

I'm not a TV person but use about 3 hours for the kids (56W Lg tv)

Ironing is done in regimented fashion about 3 times a week and between 10am and 3pm

Pumping of water is also done at the peak of the sun using a 1hp electric pump.

Of course I go to work, same as my wife and kids (to school). The system is not always under stress as you are painting it except on weekends.

I'm not a a politician nor a pastor, I don't sell hope.

Some people can be so pessimistic. My system is smaller and working fine for me during this dry season.

I am running a 1.5KVA system with 4x350W panels and 2x220aH batteries and my location (Farm) doesn't yet have electric poles. I power my freezer during the day time and night time is mostly laptop and lighting. I often use the laptop during the day too. However water is pumped with generator. I'm fine with this arrangement so far.

But I know I'll need to upgrade to at least 3.5KVA with 9 to 10 panels to be able to continue enjoying it as the rainy season is approaching.

3 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by dacool1(m): 1:24pm On Feb 18
oloyemeji:
The installer did not tell me that the batteries is damaged, could it be that he not been honest?

Whosoever paired a 3.5kva inverter to just 2 tubular batteries needs to be flogged except he has given you strict instructions not to power some appliances after dark.

Even if you increase your batteries to 4, you shouldn't draw past 80amps in total and that's about 800 to 900 watts anything more than that you are stressing your batteries.

Only lifepo4 batteries can handle those abuses. Just get a small lithium pack instead and upgrade gradually.

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by oloyemeji: 1:25pm On Feb 18
matify83:

The only plausible reason for your batteries running low by 11pm could be that you are using non energy efficient appliances which are gulping your stored energy.

Have another solar installer take a look at your system again.

I self educated myself on setting up my solar system by watching and reading plenty stuffs online. Having the knowledge of physics helped a great deal.
I am doing maintenance next week and he will help me to check and he advice to clean the panel because of dust.Thanks

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by dacool1(m): 1:25pm On Feb 18
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Success957: 1:25pm On Feb 18
cletz991:
How much did you buy it?
I bought it 188k. But that was 4years ago.

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Konquest: 1:26pm On Feb 18
matify83:
It's splendid!

I use a 3.5kva 12v kartel inverter and 4 220AH tubular batteries I connected in parallel to make 880AH.

I power virtually every thing in the house including an lg inverter AC for most of the afternoons , an lg inverter fridge/freezer and a bona solar chest freezer.

I've been fully off grid for going to 6 years by May and I don't have any regrets at all.

The installation was done DIY with little touch by my electrician.
That's Impressive.

The challenge with solar power is just the downtimes that come when the rainy season is in full swing or at night. Some folks do have hybrid solar/wind energy off-grid systems in place to mitigate against downtimes.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by oloyemeji: 1:28pm On Feb 18
dacool1:

Whosoever paired a 3.5kva inverter to just 2 tubular batteries needs to be flogged except he has given you strict instructions not to power some appliances after dark.

Even if you increase your batteries to 4, you shouldn't draw past 80amps in total and that's about 800 to 900 watts anything more than that you are stressing your batteries.

Only lifepo4 batteries can handle those abuses. Just get a small lithium pack instead and upgrade gradually.
After 3pm all heavy appliances are switch off, that is how i have been using it, but i am thinking if getting additional two batteries can boost more power, i have other two additional panels to make it 10 panels, but yet to decide if i will need two more batteries.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by TheGift: 1:28pm On Feb 18
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Considering the hike in Fuel and Nepa bill coupled with epileptic power supply in Naija. Now, guys using Solar energy instead of Nepa or Gen. How do you guys do it? What type do you use? How do you manage it? I'm thinking of using solar but i would like you to share your experience.

They are installing solar in my house as I type this.

My aim is to reduce my use of PHCN power by at least 50% and Generator by at least 90%.

I will come back and tell you my experience after two months.

7 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Konquest: 1:30pm On Feb 18
jhubril:
I'm here sitting down in the hallway of my spacious apartment viewing this topic. For a while now I have been living off-grid and I can tell you that I have never regretted becoming my own PHCN. This country's economy is in a free fall. Going solar is a decision I have never regretted. Thank God 'Nigeria is not passing through me'.
That's a living example of the subject matter of this thread. Off-grid (whether solar, wind, etc) is indeed the way to go in any event.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by BigDawsNet: 1:31pm On Feb 18
Greenscientist:
The one we installed lasted only 8month.before the battery kpai.

Lack of expertise and mismanagement were a thing and i can also say the way we used it, we would have spent more if we want ti use Gen like that.

Why is the battery not always strong?

Whenever I think about the solar.. People just talk abt the battery lives?
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by dacool1(m): 1:32pm On Feb 18
oloyemeji:
After 3pm all heavy appliances are switch off, that is how i have been using it, but i am thinking if getting additional two batteries can boost more power, i have other two additional panels to make it 10 panels, but yet to decide if i will need two more batteries.

Never mix old and new lead acid batteries. The old ones would wear the new ones out in no time.

Also make sure your batteries are fully charged. It's possible the batteries do not float.

Can you quickly list the appliances you use after dark and their wattage alongside the time those appliances run

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by dacool1(m): 1:32pm On Feb 18
BigDawsNet:

Why is the battery not always strong?

Whenever I think about the solar.. People just talk abt the battery lives?

Substandard/fake products and battery abuse

3 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Akujuriobi: 1:33pm On Feb 18
Forget about online audio price. 6 pcs of 320 panels@80,000 each new ones, 250k 200ah battery by 2pcs, 60amps 96, volts mppt original inverter for #160,000. 2kva inverter India make##280,000. This is the major things u need to power 6, bedroom duplex . 6 fans, rooms lighting bulbs/ lights, 4 televisions. U are good to go with this currently. This is whole price at Alaba international mkt Lagos. Dm for supply

4 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by djoe21(m): 1:33pm On Feb 18
Dyfynezz12:

But Boss can 2m get me this in this current economy

I just did mine. If you want the contact of the person that sold to me, I can give you then you discuss with him. He will advise you on what to get based on your load. He deals wholesale as well so whatever price he will give you is likely going to be among the most affordable.

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by TheGift: 1:33pm On Feb 18
Geovanni412:

You are still thinking

Whilst you are thinking, ask about the budget and put the money in dollars

Then conclude your investigation and continue

Anyway, if you are in the South East, I can link you up with the guy that installed our own

It is a heavy investment, for 3-bedroom apartment, you may need minimum of 3 million to run it

Duplex, you should be talking close to 10 million.

I stay in a duplex. I am installing a 3.6 kva inverter with solar which can carry two 1 hsp inverter acs, 1 inverter deep freezer, Smart TV, 20 laptops, 4-6 fans and over 20 energy saving bulbs for about 3m+

It’s not about the type or size of the house but what you want to power.

2 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by blackjack21(m): 1:34pm On Feb 18
Dyfynezz12:

But Boss can 2m get me this in this current economy

6 years ago 2 million naira was around 6thousand USD, now 2mill is 1,400 USD

10, million or

Dey play grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by franchasofficia: 1:36pm On Feb 18
safarifarms:
What about mounting profile?
for 10 solar panels, it won't be more than 15,000 naira

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Big Martial Eagle Killed At Ogbomosho, Oyo State (Photos) / Pictures Of A Made In Nigeria Helicopter / Emaciated Lions At Breeding Farm Eat Each Other In South Africa(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.