Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,810 members, 7,813,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:59 PM

Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. - Science/Technology (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. (57134 Views)

Jpmorgan Will Let Consumers Pay With Their Face Or Palm Instead Of A Card (pic) / Free Energy Charger System No Need For Nepa Or Solar / Using Solar Panel As Ups Main Power Supply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by denip: 2:27pm On Feb 18
oloyemeji:
I have the same setup as exactly like this except mine is just two batteries instead of 4 batteries, I install it last year January but recently the battery does not hold more power so by 11pm it will be down, my installer said i need to add more distilled water to the battery, and I am thinking of adding two more panels to make it 10 and also add two more batteries, what do you advice?

Am not an expert o but from what technicians have told me, adding new batteries to old ones is a no no. Either you top it with electrolyte or you change the two old batteries and add another two to make it four. In doing so, you will need more panels
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Originalsly: 2:28pm On Feb 18
Dyfynezz12:

But Boss can 2m get me this in this current economy

Bro ... convert that your N2M immediately to US. If the cost for the project today is N2M ... @ N1500/$1 ... you'll get about $1300 in hand. By the time you are ready to buy and install .... next month end... the exchange rate is likely to be 2000/1 .... the buying power of your N2M will then be only $1000 .... while the cost of the project will raise to N2.5M. With the $1300 in hand... you can convert to Naira which will give you N2.6 M. If not .... you'll have to add N500K to what you have to get the package. Hope I make sense.

3 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Idoko619(m): 2:28pm On Feb 18
matify83:

Hmm!

That would be difficult because I upgraded over time to the present specification I mentioned.

I don't have any idea on the current prices of the items.

60A 150v epever mppt charge controller 6 years ago was 100k

Kartel inverter 3.5kva, 12v 2 years ago was about 200k ( if I remember correctly)

4 Tubular batteries 220A over a year ago at 145k each

10 Canadian solar 350w monocrystalline solar panels (second hand) at 40k each bought 6 years ago.

I'm definitely finding this out.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Moneyboyz: 2:29pm On Feb 18
This is my third year off grid.

For stable power get at least.
2400 watt of solar panels. I use 200w x 12.
5kw lifepo4 battery pack.

And at least 3kw inverter.

This is enough to power your freezer, washing machine, microwave, air conditioner, water pump etc

Thay is my setup and my light is always on.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Ecosafe: 2:32pm On Feb 18
tell me about it or kindly
drop your contact to reach you
Suicideboy:
I use bike dynamo and bio gas digester
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by safarifarms(m): 2:33pm On Feb 18
dacool1:

Never mix old and new lead acid batteries. The old ones would wear the new ones out in no time.

Also make sure your batteries are fully charged. It's possible the batteries do not float.

Can you quickly list the appliances you use after dark and their wattage alongside the time those appliances run
Concerning mixing old and new batteries, does this apply to tubular batteries? Because I'm thinking of increasing my tubular batteries that I acquired around July/August last year from 2 to 4. Should I be concerned?
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by bssman406: 2:36pm On Feb 18
You sure it was 12V? 12V is too small for a load of 3.5kva. It should be more like 24.
matify83:
It's splendid!

I use a 3.5kva 12v kartel inverter and 4 220AH tubular batteries I connected in parallel to make 880AH.

I power virtually every thing in the house including an lg inverter AC for most of the afternoons , an lg inverter fridge/freezer and a bona solar chest freezer.

I've been fully off grid for going to 6 years by May and I don't have any regrets at all.

The installation was done DIY with little touch by my electrician.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by oloyemeji: 2:37pm On Feb 18
denip:

Am not an expert o but from what technicians have told me, adding new batteries to old ones is a no no. Either you top it with electrolyte or you change the two old batteries and add another two to make it four. In doing so, you will need more panels
I am topping it with distilled water next week and i will add two more panels to make it 10 panels and also do maintenance. I will go by what you said and someone on this thread also advice not to mix old battery with new ones.Thanks
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by matify83: 2:38pm On Feb 18
bssman406:
You sure it was 12V? 12V is too small for a load of 3.5kva. It should be more like 24.

Very sure

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by ButterBerry: 2:38pm On Feb 18
₦2.9M
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by ButterBerry: 2:39pm On Feb 18
Truvelisback:
How much did it cost?

₦2.9M
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by wevy(f): 2:40pm On Feb 18
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by LOVEGINO(m): 2:42pm On Feb 18
Laurene:
You use solar panel to charge the inverter?
NEPA only.

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by matify83: 2:43pm On Feb 18
Yampotatocarrot:

Pardon me, but do you need to rewire the whole house again? (Asking for those of us staying in rented apartments with concealed wiring)

Also, is there a particular way to calculate how many panels and what inverter will be needed to power an apartment?

Your energy need determines the size of your setup.

By wiring I meant, connecting the solar panels to the charge controller and mounting circuit of breakers etc.

The house was already primed for solar only.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Pedrocross4568(m): 2:43pm On Feb 18
Tombrown3:

Bro, I use to wonder too, until I spent 670k 2 months ago installing one in my rented apartment just for my work, only to get a quit notice by the new landlord stating that the old landlord has sold the house.

I'm psychologically drained, having to dismount and remount, uninstall and install this things again in a new apartment.

It's draining!

So I totally understand then they ask this questions.

Oh wow. This is so sad.
So sorry man

Thank God you got a new place.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Ecosafe: 2:45pm On Feb 18
it is a fact and not a claim... you wont understand till you switch too
GerogeI:

This your claim get as I be.
Most times a 300 watt rated panel will give you 50 to 100w effective power. So your 10 panels will give you 500W to 1Kw instant power. That's 1 pass my neighbour generator at best. More often your effective power is about 700W. AC is at least 1 hp, solar chest freezer is 100w, inverter fridge is 200w. Plus lighting ,TV, fan etc. There is no way 10 solar panels can power everything in your house. You are either supplementing from grid or running your home appliances one at a time.

Do not give peeps false expectation. Your effective power will be 10 to 20% of your installed capacity.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Tonididdyx: 2:48pm On Feb 18
For yankee people install solar to assist the national grid in terms of billing or alternative source of supply incase of aftermath of a disaster.

That being said, the case is different for Nigeria, we provided every goddamn infrastructure ourselves from water to light, security, jobs!

Anyway this year it's clear God wants us to learn a painful lesson for our stupid actions

3 Likes

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by SaintUlot: 2:50pm On Feb 18
Solar electricity is cheaper than Generator electricity, but Nepa electricity is far cheaper than Solar electricity.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by oloyemeji: 2:50pm On Feb 18
dacool1:

You should be just fine if that's all you power during the night.

Is the inverter off from 4pm to 10pm? Basically let's assume 4pm is sundown.

You need to get a more efficient fan. That fan is guzzling you energy.
No, the power isn't off, but we keep both bulbs on from 7 pm until dawn. I suppose the fan consumes more power, but I didn't think it would be a problem given my current setup. However, previously, the inverter would last from night until 5 am before shutting off. It's only recently that I've noticed this new issue where the inverter shuts off by 11 pm
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by SaintUlot: 2:51pm On Feb 18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUAZLpp6DCQ

The inverter in this video is available for sale

Call/WhatsApp - 08035537864
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Felixv: 2:51pm On Feb 18
solar is the deal -but you need to be careful of the products out there -my dry cell agm battery died after 1 year of moderate usage so definitely avoid any indian made product.

am running on 4 solar panels, mopower inverter and 2 dry cell batteries.

carries only the simple devices -fridge,fans,tv and bulbs. This does not carry the AC so I converted to an air cooler instead.

my plan now is to increase the solar panel to 8,and by some tubular batteries -probably 4.

good luck

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by occfx: 2:52pm On Feb 18
lwisee:

If you make mistake you will destroy the whole system.

Common 100k will save him the stress
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by TheGift: 2:55pm On Feb 18
franchasofficia:
You are right

Let me give you a recent costing based on what I installed myself.

3.5kva pure sine wave inverter - 370,000

220ah Luminous tubular batteries x 4 - 340,000 x 4 = 1,360,000

120amps charge controller - 340,000

Circuit breakers - 95,000

Used Canadian 410w mono solar panel - 8 x 95,000 = 760,000

Cables - 25m @ 4000 per m = 100,000

Battery rack - 12,000

Solar installation rack - 15,000

Flexible wires and other installation materials - 40,000

Installation fee - 95,000

Total = 3,187,000

What the above solar system will power:

3 smart TVs
1 inverter deep freezer
1 inverter ac
6 energy saving bulbs
1 8.5hp washing machine
5 rechargeable standing fans
DStv decoder

But the freezers, ac, washing machine should not all be turned on at the same time and it must be during day time when the sun is shining. Once it's 6pm switch off your ac and freezer to save your battery so it can last long

Thanks for confirming because I am really not an expert just a user/customer .

An yes, some of the stuff I Mentioned will hardly ever be on at the same time. Deep freezer is the only constant, cos I need to stock perishables.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by LeeSmart: 2:57pm On Feb 18
This thread na for rich kids
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Jetland(m): 2:57pm On Feb 18
matify83:

Very close to you
I sent you a private email bro
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Pablodreay890: 2:58pm On Feb 18
chelseamann:
Absolutely the best option..
Using mine ( no panels yet) so I depends on Nepa to charge my batteries and I must say it's worth every penny..

Been saving a lot of money on fuel
That your own how much did it cost if I want too get one
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by maxdi(m): 2:58pm On Feb 18
Suicideboy:
I use bike dynamo and bio gas digester

"Bike dynamo + Bio gas digester"
This sound more like unheard of.
Can possibly expasnsiate on this. Please
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Elliotwaveforec: 2:59pm On Feb 18
Tplanet:
Lithium battery is more durable than tubular battery. Its cells are renewable unlike the tubular battery.

I work with BEEBEEJUMP SOLAR Int. in Lagos.
With 3.5m you will get a complete 5kva system for your apartment.

Office address 75b, Ogununsi Road Ojodu Berger, Lagos.

Contact me on: 08155473662

I use Beebee jump low budget! I'm enjoying it, 2 years now. I want to upgrade to accommodate 0.75 HP water pump.
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by matify83: 3:00pm On Feb 18
Yashita:

Brother, please share their contact and their address in Alaba.

0816 488 5528 voice and WhatsApp

Peniel business link

1 Like

Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by Zealoy(m): 3:01pm On Feb 18
Laurene:
does it power your TV and other appliances
Tv, decorder, 5 bulbs,fan and phone charging
Re: Guys Using Solar Energy Instead Of Nepa Or Gen. by matify83: 3:01pm On Feb 18
BigCowHornn:

I'll find him my,self there

0816 488 5528

Voice and Whatsapp

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Big Martial Eagle Killed At Ogbomosho, Oyo State (Photos) / Pictures Of A Made In Nigeria Helicopter / Emaciated Lions At Breeding Farm Eat Each Other In South Africa(Pics)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.