Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:29 PM

Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? (23499 Views)

how jonathan a biafra built amalgamation tower of biafra/north that cause war / Most Expensive And Luxurious Presidential Planes In The World. / Why Billionaire Jet Owners Refuse To Register Their Planes In Nigeria – Investig (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by kpolli(m): 3:53pm On Nov 11, 2011
You igbos are so bent on dividing Nigeria. . . N u wud be insulting Boko Haram. . .
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by Dawgpound: 4:35pm On Nov 11, 2011
Its very clear that the only thing stopping these Nigerians from recognizing or appreciating the achievements of Biafra back in the 60s is nothing but bigotry. I have noticed that many of the commentators belittling these achievements are mostly from West of Edo state. Damn shame.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by jason123: 4:42pm On Nov 11, 2011
Dawgpound:

Its very clear that the only thing stopping these Nigerians from recognizing or appreciating the achievements of Biafra back in the 60s is nothing but bigotry. I have noticed that many of the commentators belittling these achievements are mostly from West of Edo state. Damn shame.

But Gareth is Edo. Dame shame on you!
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by jason123: 4:43pm On Nov 11, 2011
deadie:

I want to reply some of the ignorant posts here. Ogbunigwe was designed and built to propel small particles to the air intake of low flying jets, since the fighter planes flown by Nigerian and Egyptian air force mostly flew low. However, a resourceful officer, while under attack and about to retreat, asked his soldiers to direct the device against the approaching Nigerian army. They did that and the effect was devastating. It was stated in one of the accounts that a villager came to investigate the effect of what he had just heard, and on seeing the destruction commented "Chei, O gbuo fa na igwe", meaning, "wow, it has has killed them in their masses". That was how the name came about, "Ogbunigwe = mass killer". With the effect know, the design was optimized to serve as a kind of surface to surface missile. The story of the Ogbunigwe made it all the way to the UN when the Russian representative lamented that the Biafrans were using some kind of unknown weapons.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 11, 2011
Dawgpound:

Isn't it about time we stop celebrating mediocrity and get back to real basics? That ogbunigwe thing was as crude as they come and yet people come here to celebrate it as the height of technological achievement of Biafra!
And when you think about how the contraption probably killed more Biafrans than Nigerians, even Biafrans should condemn it.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by Dede1(m): 4:54pm On Nov 11, 2011
I have always loved the passion the Biafra issue engenders among so-called Nigerians. It gives me a screen spectrum to juxtapose the people who will constitute danger to Igbo land or Biafra if such entity will ever exist.

It is unfortunate some folks have branded the revisit to the history of Biafra as chest-beating and boastfulness. However, I wonder what had quenched such interest on Nigeria after 51years of existence. I must say something is very wrong if passion Biafrans seem to exude is totally lost on Nigeria.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by ektbear: 5:11pm On Nov 11, 2011
So having skimmed through this thread, in summary none of this actually happened?
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by Dede1(m): 5:25pm On Nov 11, 2011
Aigbofa:

Isn't it about time we stop celebrating mediocrity and get back to real basics? That ogbunigwe thing was as crude as they come and yet people come here to celebrate it as the height of technological achievement of Biafra!
And when you think about how the contraption probably killed more Biafrans than Nigerians, even Biafrans should condemn it.

You seem to tilt on intellectual balance when attempting to ridicule the achievement of Biafra via ogbunigwe. Of course, nobody with correct social order will speculate ogbunigwe was the start and end of state-of the-art technological iteration. However, it was an achievement of era that marveled few Europeans who did not think an African country was capable of wielding two ends of steels together. Is it not a borderline idiocy for someone to demand pictures of improvised war materials produced by Biafra as cameras were only functional when mounted on tripod stand.  

Any fair-minded person would easily conclude that Nigeria is an absolutely wasted entity for 51 years which could not point to any attempt to produce indigenous stake to technology, not even hoe.  

I am not surprised at your effort to throw silly probability of misshape where many Biafrans lost lags and hands or lives during the construct of ogbunigwe. Anyway, such wishful thinking did not materialize besides many Biafrans would have wanted to die in order to see the crude and rudimentary ogbunigwe, as you would wants us believe, reached operational status that could send many Nigerians vandals to their makeshift graves.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by danjohn: 6:10pm On Nov 11, 2011
[color=#006600][/color][size=20pt]Biafra Did Not Build Airplanes[/size]

There is a Biafra documentary on youtube where Ojukwu spoke about the innovative things Biafrans made. He spoke of how they made rockets, ammunition, pomade, soap, bear, etc.  He said they tried to make airplanes but they were not successful.  Anyone who has a chance should watch the documentary.  It is very touching.

Part 1

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ReFoFp0Gs[/flash]

Part 2

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQkIQuK7A50&feature=related[/flash]

Part 3

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7qQdZ9nzbI&feature=related[/flash]

Part 4

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eppgEVwxCfk&feature=related[/flash]

Part 5

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSqhqP3U-t4&feature=related[/flash]

Part 6

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZTpuVlKJ_Q&feature=related[/flash]

Part 7

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An7IZBBATTM&feature=related[/flash]
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by Dawgpound: 6:14pm On Nov 11, 2011
@Jason, Gareth might be from Edo state but state but it doesn't erase the fact that majority of the commentators are West of Edo all the way to Yoruba land. I respect Gareth for speaking the truth but I won't deny the fact that majority of the people belittling these achievements are from that side of Nigeria. Also from what I know Edo is just a state with Igbo, Bini, Esan, etc are natives of that state so what is Gareth's ethnicity? Its not that crucial anyway but just proving ur pointless statement. Be more specific.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by ektbear: 6:23pm On Nov 11, 2011
Nobody likes hearing fake self-aggrandizing stories about X Y and Z. Or hell, maybe you are saying that it is only Yoruba who don't like hearing such fake stories, and others enjoy it.

Anyway, regardless, it isn't a big deal. What is more important is whether this actually happened or not. And it doesn't appear to be real.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by bigbabyboy: 6:29pm On Nov 11, 2011
All I hear are rantings and ravings about ethnicity when that is not the real problem.The teeming mis-informed populace are the problem of this country, not bad leaders-4 God's sake we either put them there or allow them.We all know dis country needs a revolution but nobody is ready to risk their neck.We want good things yet we are not ready to pay d necessary sacrifice.So, Nigeria is a jungle where it's all man for himself.When U are all ready for a change, ready to make the necessary sacrifice, tha ls when U have d right to challenge the present status quo cuz for now, all I see is mouth action, no one wants to bell the cat.Let's live with it, fight for ur own fair share or Travel abroad and never come back
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by Dawgpound: 6:34pm On Nov 11, 2011
It did happen but jealousy and envy won't let u admit. Yoruba people have always been envious of Igbos in particular and any other group East of Nigeria. I noticed new innovations have always been made by people from our side. If left alone I know how far our region would have gone.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by Katsumoto: 6:40pm On Nov 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

Nobody likes hearing fake self-aggrandizing stories about X Y and Z. Or hell, maybe you are saying that it is only Yoruba who don't like hearing such fake stories, and others enjoy it.

Anyway, regardless, it isn't a big deal. What is more important is whether this actually happened or not. And it doesn't appear to be real.

It appears that many Nigerians are ignorant of so much that transpired before and during the war. I am going to open a thread when I have some time in the coming weeks; I will be trying to dispel certain lies and factual inaccuracies particularly touching on deaths of innocent people through starvation, poor strategy, ego, and the unnecessary prolongation of the war despite there been at least 4 chances to end hostilities and identifying those responsible.

Perhaps if the truth is out there and spoken about more often, people with hate in their hearts will look more inwards rather than blame others on the 'outside'.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by ektbear: 6:48pm On Nov 11, 2011
Kats, don't waste your time man. It isn't worth the effort. I used to be interested in these things a year ago but now they bore the hell out of me.

A poster here asked earlier for pictures, nothing was provided.

The burden of proof is on those who claim that these things were done to actually demonstrate it.

Not some sort of m0ronic argument in which if you don't believe someone's lies, you are guilty of bad belle and jealously.

Kind of pathetic, really.

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their own delusions. Just don't expect others to accept your particular delusions as gospel truth, is all I ask.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by jason123: 6:51pm On Nov 11, 2011
Dawgpound:

@Jason, Gareth might be from Edo state but state but it doesn't erase the fact that majority of the commentators are West of Edo all the way to Yoruba land. I respect Gareth for speaking the truth but I won't deny the fact that majority of the people belittling these achievements are from that side of Nigeria. Also from what I know Edo is just a state with Igbo, Bini, Esan, etc are natives of that state so what is Gareth's ethnicity? Its not that crucial anyway but just proving your pointless statement. Be more specific.

. . .and so?
Guy, people are tired of all these lies, back and forth arguments and chest beating! Its irritating to say the least. Look, people don't just want to air their views because if they do, you'll all call them haters and no one wants to be seen as a hater, except of course, a few Yorubas.----and I'm not ready to start the Edo state argument.

So agreed, they belittle Biafra's achievements (a country that lasted 30 months, over 41 years ago. I'm fairly certain, you weren't even born.), so? What are her achievements?? Obunigwe* (pardon my spelling)?! undecided Is that what you can a guided-missile or ground to ground missile, or what other ridiculous names you call it.

The internet warriors said they built Airplanes while Ojukwu said they didn't build Airplanes, who should we believe? Yet, you said people from the "West of Edo" are belittling their achievements.
-and what achievements have we all contributed to Nigeria, if we were all so great, high and mighty?!

BTW, what does this have to do with an Ogoni man (Ken saro-wiwa's ethnic group) who fought against Biafra?? I dey laugh o!

@ OP

Aside the above, I must note that even though the "Ogbunigwe" was crude, it proved the proverb right "necessity is the mother of invention". Kudos with regards to that. However, I can bet that ever other ethnic group and indeed nation, can build something similar, if not better, when put under the same conditions. Take a look at the Palestinians and Israel.

Nigerian home assembled airplanes:

World of RVs - Nigerian Air Force

The Nigerian project was started by a company in Nigeria to provide a primary military trainer for the Nigerian Military Air Force, and helped establish an industrial base in the country. After an exhaustive search, the RV-6A was chosen as the aircraft best suited to their needs.

The program included establishing a manufacturing organization within Nigeria, utilizing local labor. A total of 60 aircraft were built and delivered to the Nigerian Air Force as trainers. The RV-6A was modified to include extensive electronics, and other minor aerodynamic changes to suit Nigerian flying conditions.

The original contract was for 60 kits to be delivered over a period of time to Nigeria, for assembly. These kits were delivered, assembled and delivered to the Nigerian Air Force, and are currently the military's primary trainers.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11904.0

On its silver anniversary April 22, 1989, the air force unveiled and conducted a test flight of a prototype of Nigeria's first domestically built aircraft, the Air Beetle. Jointly built over two years by the NAF and a West German Kaduna-based firm from the design of the United States Van RV-6 sport aircraft, the Air Beetle had the unique feature of being able to fly on standard automobile fuel. This two-seat, single engine airplane was intended to be the primary trainer for the NAF, replacing the aging British Bulldog trainers. The production program called for sixty units by 1992 and eventual development of an improved version, the Super Air Beetle. In early 1990, the first export orders were reported, and forty aircraft of the first production run were scheduled for delivery to foreign customers.

http://www.photius.com/countries/nigeria/national_security/nigeria_national_security_arms_procurement_and~10039.html
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by danjohn: 6:54pm On Nov 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

Kats, don't waste your time man. It isn't worth the effort. I used to be interested in these things a year ago but now they bore the hell out of me.

A poster here asked earlier for pictures, nothing was provided.

The burden of proof is on those who claim that these things were done to actually demonstrate it.

Not some sort of m0ronic argument in which if you don't believe someone's lies, you are guilty of bad belle and jealously.

Kind of pathetic, really.

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their own delusions. Just don't expect others to accept your particular delusions as gospel truth, is all I ask.

ekt_bear Biafra did not make planes.  Ojukwu himself said it.  He said that they tried to make planes but their effort was not successful.  Someone should please look at the video and try skipping to the portions where Ojukwu is speaking.  You will see where he said it.  I wish I could watch the video now and tell you where it is in the video but I am at work.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by jason123: 7:00pm On Nov 11, 2011
Dawgpound:

It did happen but jealousy and envy won't let u admit. Yoruba people have always been envious of Igbos in particular and any other group East of Nigeria. I noticed new innovations have always been made by people from our side. If left alone I know how far our region would have gone.

Oh shut up! You are irritating now with this hypocrisy! What has jealousy got to do with the question asked by the OP? If he didn't want to hear people's opinion, why open a thread with a question mark, thus, demanding for other people's opinion??

What region are you talking about, you lair! Was Rivers state not formed in 1967 (before the war)? Did YOUR people not jubilate?? Your own leaders voted FOR the creation of Rivers states and you, an Ogoni man, is here mouthing off as if the Ogonis (who by the way, produced Ken saro wiwa) loved Biafra.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by ektbear: 7:07pm On Nov 11, 2011
danjohn:

ekt_bear Biafra did not make planes.  Ojukwu himself said it.  He said that they tried to make planes but their effort was not successful.  Someone should please look at the video and try skipping to the portions where Ojukwu is speaking.  You will see where he said it.  I wish I could watch the video now and tell you where it is in the video but I am at work. 

I've seen this video (well, part of it) myself and already know this.

But my commentary is more general.

Like, most of us who aren't Biafrans don't give a crap about these things that you claim happened but really didn't. So why constantly spam us about them? Let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Really is that simple imo.

Of what relevance are any of these things to anyone's life today?
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by Afam4eva(m): 7:09pm On Nov 11, 2011
@ Jason
Abeg free Dawgpound. I don't see anything wrong with him sympathizing with his eastern brother and i don't know what you mean by Ogoni people hated Igbos. The fact that a state is carved from an existing one does not mean the indigenes of the new states hate their former host.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by ektbear: 7:11pm On Nov 11, 2011
And in case it isn't clear @danjohn, I don't mean "you" as in you specifically. I'm referring to people who start threads like this.

It reminds me of all these conspiracy nuts who believe that the ancient Native Americans were all black Africans or aliens from outer space or something.

Like, it is funny at first, but then just gets weird.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by Relax101(m): 7:14pm On Nov 11, 2011
jason123:

Oh shut up! You are irritating now with this hypocrisy! What has jealousy got to do with the question asked by the OP? If he didn't want to hear people's opinion, why open a thread with a question mark, thus, demanding for other people's opinion??

What region are you talking about, you lair! Was Rivers state not formed in 1967 (before the war)? Did YOUR people not jubilate?? Your own leaders voted FOR the creation of Rivers states and you, an Ogoni man, is here mouthing off as if the Ogonis (who by the way, produced Ken saro wiwa) loved Biafra.

Are you making any sense, this confused boy.

danjohn:

[color=#006600][/color][size=20pt]Biafra Did Not Build Airplanes[/size]

There is a Biafra documentary on youtube where Ojukwu spoke about the innovative things Biafrans made. He spoke of how they made rockets, ammunition, pomade, soap, bear, etc.  He said they tried to make airplanes but they were not successful.  Anyone who has a chance should watch the documentary.  It is very touching.

Part 2

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQkIQuK7A50&feature=related[/flash]

BTW, Biafra produced an armored vehicle in 6.24mins way back before Nigerian ever thought of producing anything sensible. Did the almighty Nigeria produce anything or even a simple rocket? Naaa, but these great men produced mass rockets in 1967. Nigeria couldn't even build a simple padlock. You all should shut up and and should bury your silly heads in shame.

Anyways, my love for those women who volunteered to fight is commendable.
I love those women. Those women are my heros. Biggest muahh to all of them. kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by jason123: 7:17pm On Nov 11, 2011
afam4eva:

@ Jason
Abeg free Dawgpound. I don't see anything wrong with him sympathizing with his eastern brother and i don't know what you mean by Ogoni people hated Igbos. The fact that a state is carved from an existing one does not mean the indigenes of the new states hate their former host.

I respect you. Read my comment, I did not mention hate, not once. Sympathy is good and I do it at times but making ethnically bias statements should not be allowed on this thread. I have followed the thread, wishing to be educated (notice I didn't comment until he came) until he introduced the ethnic sentiment. The MW was created from the west, does it mean the MW hates the west or east? Certainly not.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by jason123: 7:19pm On Nov 11, 2011
Relax101:

Are you making any sense, this confused boy.

grin grin grin *here we go again with the emotional insults. I'm out!*
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by Obiagu1(m): 7:29pm On Nov 11, 2011
jason123:

You're really an id.iot!

Do you know if his family fought for or supported Biafra?
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by Obiagu1(m): 7:33pm On Nov 11, 2011
What I see is envy.
Libyan rebels did this or that, what was the state of Libya in 1967?

Before you come here to mouth off trash, watch/read documentaries about so many countries in 1967 including Israel, Egypt, etc. to get a better idea of time.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by lagcity(m): 7:34pm On Nov 11, 2011
When ppl make false claims and you call them out on it, they start to call you a bigot. [size=20pt]Why?[/size]
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by Obiagu1(m): 7:38pm On Nov 11, 2011
lagcity:

When ppl make false claims and you call them out on it, they start to call you a bigot. [size=20pt]Why?[/size]

Nobody made a false claim, the OP asked a question, but Biafrans corrected him on what was actually done.
Everyone seem to ignore were such claims were corrected by Dede and co. including me.

If anyone thinks that modifying a plane is easy, let him try it in 2011.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by lagcity(m): 7:45pm On Nov 11, 2011
Obiagu1:

Nobody made a false claim, the OP asked a question, but Biafrans corrected him on what was actually done.
Everyone seem to ignore were such claims were corrected by Dede and co. including me.

If anyone thinks that modifying a plane is easy, let him try it in 2011.

OK. Biafrans corrected the poster as did the Nigerians. Why are the Biafrans not bigots? Only a Biafran has the right to correct someone?

Honestly, modifying a plane is easy and was easy in the 1950s.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by Afam4eva(m): 7:47pm On Nov 11, 2011
lagcity:

OK. Biafrans corrected the poster as did the Nigerians. Why are the Biafrans not bigots? Only a Biafran has the right to correct someone?

Has Nigeria modified anyone? It's easy only for mouth. Go and create a match stick and i'll hail you.
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by omar22(m): 7:50pm On Nov 11, 2011
achievement of Biafra via ogbunigwe.

And What achievement would that be?

This Biafra business has been brewing on here over the last few years, it seems like you lot want a rematch!!!
Re: Biafra Built Three Planes In 3 Years? by Obiagu1(m): 7:51pm On Nov 11, 2011
lagcity:

Name the countries that did it and see how silly your statement is. You'll either end up naming Israel or some Western countries.

Biafrans corrected him but did not belittle the achievement because they have a better idea of time but some goons here don't even know how many countries that could make bolts and nuts as of 1967.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Who Suffers If Nigeria Divides? / Explosion Hits Baga Road, Maiduguri / South-east Group Vows To 'physically Deliver' Nnamdi Kanu To Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.