Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,059 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo (23881 Views)

Prof. Fola Aboaba Dies Days To His 90th Birthday / Man Rains Money On His Pastor In Church (Photos, Video) / Escoba Smith Buys His Pastor 2017 Toyota Prado As Birthday Gift (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:59am On Feb 26
Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo
February 24, 2024

I never met Herbert Wigwe, the late CEO of Access Bank. His name was not heard until now. As a writer, I pen scanty about happenings in the Banking sector; a titanic terrain that was Herbert's career kingdom in Nigeria. Shortly after I left Nigeria for the US thirty-six years ago, I heard about Herbert's dad, Papa Shyngle Wigwe when he was a top brass at the NTA. I recall that Papa Wigwe and his wife once suffered a tragedy when Herbert's older brother died in an automobile accident alongside a lady who was considered his wife. Both were killed in the crash. Immediately I heard that the chopper in which Herbert was travelling went down in California on his way to Las Vegas killing all onboard including his wife and oldest son a few weeks ago, it was heart wrenching for me. I commiserate with the Wigwes, especially for the Octogenarian Wigwe and his wife in these trying times. May God comfort them.

Herbert was not just a faithful husband, a caring dad, a savvy banker, and an admirable community leader. He was also a loyal member of his church, and a diligent minister of the gospel in his local assembly. In the aftermath of the California air tragedy, I picked up a video where the pastor of the church effusively showered encomiums on the late CEO, enumerating his dedication to the cause and vision of the church.

From the recorded account of the pastor, we were told that Herbert used his goodwill and resources towards the growth of the church and the advancement of God's work. His humongous and vast wealth put him in a comfy position to be one of the biggest givers of gold. The church's new worship edifice is one of the best in all of Africa.

The 14-storey architectural masterpiece was built at a cost of over N12B with unique features such as a 4,500-capacity auditorium, a multi-storey car park holding 673 cars, rooftop terrace, and a helipad. As the Chairman of the Building Committee, Herbert went an extra mile and beyond the call of duty to ensure a fruition of the dream. He pulled his many strings as CEO of his Access Bank to facilitate a hefty loan to pull the project to completion.

"Herbert went as far as paying for two office spaces for Access Bank at the church building and he paid a 5-year rent for the two office spaces. This was done when the project was still a greenfield project, and that is remarkable;" a report from the church said.

Just before he died, the church was stuck servicing the Access Bank loan. In his usual generous steps, Herbert stepped up again with a bail-out of N1 billion interest-free loan. The testaments expressed here are probably a drop-in-the-bucket regarding the stretch of largesse and generosity Herbert extended toward the pastor and the church.

Does a man such as this not deserve to be properly honoured after his death? A team led by the General Overseer of the mother-church visited the parents. Members of the local assembly in Lagos extensively offered succour and comfort to the grieving family. The church must have done its best.

However, in hushed voices, many people are expressing that an event that took place in the church that Herbert served for years was disgusting and disparagingly dishonoring to the Wigwes, and to the nuclear family of Herbert. What was the event?

Last weekend in Lagos, just a few weeks after Herbert, his wife, and son were tragically killed, the pastor's wife threw a loud and lavish party marking her 60th birthday. The party, we heard, was no holds-barred! The bash was attended by eminent dignitaries from across Nigeria. They all wined and dined feverishly with the pastor and his celebrating wife at the centre of it all. What was wrong celebrating a landmark birthday? Not one thing.

But what the people are saying is that those who should still be in a mourning mode; those who brand themselves friends of the dead, and those who were seen hobnobbing with the Herbert's family when he was alive and in an influential position to extend financial favours; took to the dance floor throwing down without a hinder as if tragedy had not just struck a friend.

That is the grouse of many including those who are close to the pastors, but who can't tell them to their face that they erred. Was it appropriate for the church to throw a loud and lavish party celebrating its pastor's wife just two weeks after the tragic death of a pillar member who almost single-handedly built the same church?

I was told that the Pastor and his wife are good-hearted servants of God. But did they step out too early into a celebratory mode while the Wigwes mourn? Shouldn't they have waited until the lifeless remains of a man they called a friend are interred?

The work of a pastor requires a lot of wisdom. It is this endowment that helps anyone strike a balance with delicate decisions.

Yes, the dead are gone, but what about the living who are watching how the dead who was once alive was treated after his passing? Will honouring the deserving dead not have been an encouragement to the serving living? Should the pastor have waited at least thirty days as prescribed in the Bible to end mourning? How will those outside the church judge this move? Will they not think that members who help with God's work are considered just mere discardable and ordinary numbers we throw away when their days on earth have been numbered? Did the church bear "one another's burdens" enough according to the admonishment of Apostle Paul in Galatians 6:2? If honour will not be accorded whom honour is due like Apostle Paul admonished, where else must it happen if not in the CHURCH OF THE LIVING GOD? These are the questions going on in the hearts and minds of many at this time.

I don't pray to be in the shoes of these pastors. But when, in life, you hit the fork of the road, you take it guided by wisdom. I am certain that a lot of preparation would have been put into the pastor's wife's celebration. Non-refundable expenses would have been incurred. Guests from around the world must have made travel arrangements that weren't easily changeable. But did the pastors mourn enough the death of their friends? It's true that I was not in this pastor's shoes, but it wouldn't have taken me much haggling in my spirit to determine what to do. For me, true friendship isn't about being there only when it's convenient, it's about being there when it's not. Through what they are willing to sacrifice for you; It is during heavy trials that you know true friends.

What would I have done if I were in the pastor's shoes? If HERBERT ONYEWUMBU WIGWE and his wife were my true friends and not just a tool used in retooling life and ministry, I would have rescheduled the event for another day; or run it completely low-key on schedule just to honour our friendship and honour the dead who went an extra mile for my life assignment.

SaharaReporters

"Does a man such as this not deserve to be properly honoured after his death?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSUmfzrWZUY&t=637s

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by kniks: 6:03am On Feb 26
Abeg a did are inconsequential
Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by gasparpisciotta: 6:40am On Feb 26
Many of these Pastors are too self centered and self opinionated to consider the opinion of others.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by adefitim(m): 6:43am On Feb 26
Welcome to Christiandom

3 Likes

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Starzo: 6:49am On Feb 26
Una must always look for ways to drag pastors in everything

What is the name of the pastor?..

If the same pastor stay low-key now people like you will still come out to say the lose of him cash cow don humble am. To the extent he refused to his wives birthday

The dead is dead....they won't mourn him for one year

To God his life is not more important than that of a fateful servant with less than 50k in his/her bank account

Tinubu and northern economic saboteurs dey finish una lives. And una dey online dey criticize pastors from morning till night.... senseless people

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Buccalcavity2: 6:57am On Feb 26
Are you people normal? Always looking to attack the church....
Did Access Marathon not hold the next morning after Herbert's passing. Or you think the organizers didn't know?Was he not replaced by Bolaji the next Monday after his passing? Did the bank not open for business? Gboromideleru!!! Hypocrites.
Another human being should not celebrate because one died? You obviously don't know the Herbert in question.

97 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Cassandraloius: 7:13am On Feb 26
Let the pastor be

2 Likes

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by thesicilian: 7:28am On Feb 26
If they threw such a lavish birthday party for the pastor's wife just 2 weeks after the death of the church's main benefactor, it means the planning for the party was already in progress before his death. It also means that when he died some people may have approached the pastor's wife to consider shelving her plans for the lavish birthday, but she decided go ahead still

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by xcolanto(m): 7:38am On Feb 26
Interesting piece!!

3 Likes

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Okoroawusa: 7:45am On Feb 26
Rubbish. What do you want the pastor and his wife to do? Such events take months if not years to plan. Herbert Wigwe is dead but unfortunately life must go on.

I have seen a guy whose father died in the morning but him runs an already scheduled pvssy that same night. There was no time to reschedule. The lady was already at the airport by 12 noon waiting to be picked up.

Abeg make una free pastor.

8 Likes

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Saao(m): 7:45am On Feb 26
Daddy G O son died, went to preach following Sunday. When a righteous died, you don't mourn that much because in reality, he only transition not died. Earlier you guys abandon this gossip better for you all

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:46am On Feb 26
HERBERT WIGWE & RCCG CITY OF DAVID / Was that LAVISH PARTY necessary?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSUmfzrWZUY&t=637s
Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Saao(m): 7:47am On Feb 26
Buccalcavity2:
Did Access Marathon not hold the next morning after Herbert's passing. Or you think the organizers didn't know?Was he not replaced by Bolaji the next Monday after his passing? Did the bank not open for business? Gboromideleru!!! Hypocrites.
Another human being should not celebrate because one died? You obviously don't know the Herbert in question.
even the bank was in operations and few days later, they have new ceo

7 Likes

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Harddiskng(m): 8:34am On Feb 26
For me, true friendship isn't about being there only when it's convenient, it's about being there when it's not. Through what they are willing to sacrifice for you; It is during heavy trials that you know true friends.

Word!

I am not the judgmental or even religious type but i must confessed I was embarrassed for the Church and their pastor watching the Pastor’s wife and her antics during the so called celebration. Smh

Let’s call a spade a spade. The fact she went on with it, speaks volumes. When i tell people DON’T carry Church on your head, don’t seek to be known there, don’t seek honor. Serve your God, do you own bit to help others and go home.

Godforbid if someone’s son dies does that person still go on with her birthday celebration, because of how much she has spent on it already? Think on it.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Obakoolex(m): 9:11am On Feb 26
Starzo:
Una must always look for ways to drag pastors in everything

What is the name of the pastor?..

If the same pastor stay low-key now people like you will still come out to say the lose of him cash cow don humble am. To the extent he refused to his wives birthday

The dead is dead....they won't mourn him for one year

To God his life is not more important than that of a fateful servant with less than 50k in his/her bank account

Tinubu and northern economic saboteurs dey finish una lives. And una dey online dey criticize pastors from morning till night.... senseless people
Na you no get no atom of sense even tho the writer tried as much as possible not to be biased, mumu people like you will always think otherwise.
How's that dragging the pastor for goodness sake??

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Starzo: 9:25am On Feb 26
Obakoolex:

Na you no get no atom of sense even tho the writer tried as much as possible not to be biased, mumu people like you will always think otherwise.
How's that dragging the pastor for goodness sake??
You're very stupid....so because wigwe was a multimillionaire church should not hold for a a year abi

If it was an average member that died, would you people be saying this nonsense?

Wigwe's life is not more important than that of any dedicated poor member in the house of God

If you didn't call for activities to be put on hold for a poor member then don't do it for wigwe because he was a billionaire

Make una continue to drag pastors.... pastors are the reasons for the economy mess we find ourselves in as a nation...

Una politicians dey finish una, una carry frustration dey attack pastors....una go suffer Tay cuz una mumu never do

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Starzo: 9:29am On Feb 26
Harddiskng:

Word!

I am not the judgmental or even religious type but i must confessed I was embarrassed for the Church and their pastor watching the Pastor’s wife and antics during the so called celebration. Smh

Let’s call a spade a spade. The fact she went on with it, speaks volumes. When i tell people that carry Church on your mind, don’t seek to be known there, don’t seek honor. Serve your God, do you own bit to help others and go home.

Godforbid if someone’s son dies does that person still go on with their birthday celebration, irrespective of how she has spent? Think on it.
Money is not supposed to give you special treatment in the house of God.... everybody should be treated as equals in the house of God

If the church did not halt occasions when an average member died then it shouldn't do it cuz a billionaire died

Asking for special treatment and recognize in church because of financial capacity is ungodly

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Starzo: 9:32am On Feb 26
Buccalcavity2:

Nor mind them....Satan incarnates always looking for every opportunity to attack the church

Their plans will continually fail

7 Likes

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by 9jatriot(m): 9:32am On Feb 26
If it was a poor man that died and the pastor threw a party 2 weeks later, would it still have been out of place?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Starzo: 9:35am On Feb 26
9jatriot:
If it was a poor man that died and the pastor threw a party 2 weeks later, would it still have been out of place?
Help me ask them

Yeye devilish people

1 Like

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by PlayerMeji: 9:44am On Feb 26
Even if the pastor had waited a whole year to mourn Wigwe, some people would still come and say he didn't wait enough to mourn.

Saao:
Daddy G O son died, went to preach following Sunday. When a righteous died, you don't mourn that much because in reality, he only transition not died. Earlier you guys abandon this gossip better for you all

8 Likes

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Beverlyjean(f): 10:07am On Feb 26
Buccalcavity2:

What nonsense are u saying... during the access bank marathon, no one knew about the death... access bank marathon happened in the morning, by evening, the news circulated...
Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by NeoWanZaeed(m): 10:09am On Feb 26
Nonsense talk
Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by MasterJayJay: 10:09am On Feb 26
Did the death pain you more than his parents?

Classic case of crying more than the bereaved.
Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:10am On Feb 26
Buccalcavity2:

Who is attacking church? Is it those giving the church a bad name or those exposing the culprits? undecided

Buccalcavity2:

Business organisations must go on as usual but the birthday party could wait.

Buccalcavity2:

Wrong decisions should not be excused. For a Christian church to not only celebrate the birthday of the wife of the pastor two weeks after the death of one of your main benefactors but had the effrontery to invite a worldly secular musician to entertain the undiscerning attendants is what should be called out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Beverlyjean(f): 10:10am On Feb 26
Humans are naturally selfish.... me myself have learnt the hard way... when u are in a good position, u see sycophants ... but once u are no longer there, they start to act like u never existed ... imagine , a so called pastors wife of all people

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:11am On Feb 26
Okoroawusa:

Rubbish. What do you want the pastor and his wife to do? Such events take months if not years to plan. Herbert Wigwe is dead but unfortunately life must go on.

How many weeks or days did Wigwe and his family die? Has his body even arrived before they embarked on this jamboree?

Okoroawusa:

I have seen a guy whose father died in the morning but him runs an already scheduled pvssy that same night. There was no time to reschedule. The lady was already at the airport by 12 noon waiting to be picked up.

I noticed this hedonic behaviour when I went to bury one of my loved ones seeing how today's generation no longer respect the dead but are only concerned about how much they can get out of it. You will see cars and okadas overtaking processions a feat not done in sane climates.

Okoroawusa:

Abeg make una free pastor.

Only Jesus can set your hedonistic pastor free.

1 Like

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by lacasera14(m): 10:12am On Feb 26
Anybody can celebrate a birthday party, but that kind was way overboard on the heels of the passing of the church's benefactor. And then what kind of church invites a secular artiste to perform on their Mama's birthday? There's Moses Bliss, Joe Praise, Frank Edward, Mercy Chinwo and the likes. That choice smelt iniquity in the church.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:12am On Feb 26
Saao:

No one is faulting the work of the Lord or secular businesses from being continued but celebrating one's birthday could have been delayed or celebrated in a low key manner. sad

1 Like

Re: Herbert Wigwe: Did His Pastor Mourn Long Enough? By Fola Ojo by Saao(m): 10:12am On Feb 26
PlayerMeji:
Even if the pastor had waited a whole year to mourn Wigwe, some people would still come and say he didn't wait enough to mourn.

exactly

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Even If My Pastor Gambles With My Tithe, I Will Continue To Pay. / For Those Who Think Hell Is An Empty Threat From The Bible! / Types Of People You'll Find At The Crossover Service.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.