Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram (17147 Views)

Military To Take Over Aso Rock’s Strike Force / T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) / Buhari Will Lead Military To Fight Boko Haram – Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by goggs(m): 11:01pm On Nov 11, 2011
Guys, as expected it has come to this;

Reports: U.S. Military to Help Fight Nigerian Terrorists

The Pentagon’s shadow war in Africa could have a new front, if reports coming out of Nigeria are accurate. U.S. troops are headed to Nigeria to help local forces do battle with Boko Haram, an Islamic terror group that has killed up to 400 people this year in an escalating campaign of bombings and shootings. At least that’s what Nigerian military sources tell Scott Morgan, a journalist based in Washington, D.C. who writes under the pseudonym “Confused Eagle.” The Guardian also has the story.

U.S. officials have refused to confirm the deployment.

However, a new U.S. assistance mission would be consistent with steadily increasing Pentagon involvement in a wide range of African conflicts. American forces have been active in and around Somalia for the better part of a decade, targeting pirates and the terror group al-Shabab. Last month, President Barack Obama announced he was sending 100 U.S. advisers to help the Ugandan army track the Lord’s Resistance Army rebel group in Congo. And this year the Pentagon has quietly set up a number of new bases in Ethiopia and the Seychelles to provide air support to all these operations.

Boko Haram certainly ranks alongside al-Shabab and the murderous LRA. In August, the Nigerian group attacked the U.N.’s Nigerian headquarters, killing 23. In their home town of Maiduguri, Boko Haram gunmen riding on motorcycles waged a campaign of terror that forced the government to ban the bikes. The Nigerian military and police have cracked down on the terror group, leading to allegations of brutality and extra-judicial killings.

The reports of a new U.S. deployment came just days after the State Department issued a warning to Americans living in Nigeria of possible Boko Haram attacks on luxury hotels in the capital of Abuja. Those attacks have not, as yet, materialized. But the terror group did send three truckloads of fighters to the town of Mainok near the border with Cameroon. They terrorized the locals and killed at least two people.

Now regional leader worry that Boko Haram could expand in to countries neighboring Nigeria. The chilling prospect of Boko Haram going international helps explain why the reports of U.S. intervention seem credible.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/11/u-s-troops-nigeria/
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Nobody: 11:40pm On Nov 11, 2011
Oya oo! were are all the people calling me conspiracy theorist when i raise a topic on US plans to invade Nigeria!

Them don finally land [silently]. The end of Nigeria as we know it is come!

The SAD NEWS IS: We will now witness escalation of terrorism in Nigeria before they will finally declare us a terrorist state - Then the stealing of our oil continues!

GEJ - Thanks for this FRESH AIR!

1 Like

Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Beaf: 12:49am On Nov 12, 2011
The US is most welcome. cool
Lets have roast haram for xmas.
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Rgp92: 12:50am On Nov 12, 2011
[size=30pt]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THANK YOU!!!!! [/size]
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by igbo2011(m): 1:08am On Nov 12, 2011
TELL THEM TO GO AWAY!!!! They will steal our oil and will cause more problems. That is all they ever do. Loook at what they did in Sudan and Congo. THey will supply MEND and BOko Haram to fight each other. Don't let it happen.
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Ogbonaikenna(m): 2:24am On Nov 12, 2011
I would prefer the white to take our oil that for a black
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by BootyOnMe: 2:26am On Nov 12, 2011
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
That will be the day I will BURN my American passport and move to Canada! grin
Dealing with those 'hook-nosed' British colonial masters is bad enough!
Heavens forbid!!!!
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Nobody: 2:29am On Nov 12, 2011
This is how they start in every country they've touched.

Can someone tell me which country in Africa has changed for the better after the US intervened?

Nigerians go hear am.

And there's always a price.

1 Like

Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Kobojunkie: 2:31am On Nov 12, 2011
Chevron, BP, Schlaumberger . . . . already companies based in the west and already drilling and processing oil in Nigeria. So how in the world will US steal your oil when you have had the west in your backyard since the beginning?  And how does this equate to INVASION the US/WEST has been training and helping train your armed forces, and police since before your mothers and fathers even thought of you?

The US/WEST has been in Nigeria for decades. . . . long before your 'conspiracy theory' minds even developed, but now you want to turn this into some story about invasion? Those of you still deluding yourselves that there is still something out there left for the WEST to steal from you, I say you snap out of that delusion. They have touched it all and you are no longer special. You are no afghanistan or Iraq. Nigeria was opened up and sliced apart back before 1960's.
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by merge(f): 2:33am On Nov 12, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Chevron, BP, Schlaumberger . . . . already companies based in the west and already drilling and processing oil in Nigeria. So how in the world will US steal your oil when you have had the west in your backyard since the beginning?  And how does this equate to INVASION the US/WEST has been training and helping train your armed forces, and police since before your mothers and fathers even thought of you?

The US/WEST has been in Nigeria for decades. . . . long before your 'conspiracy theory' minds even developed, but now you want to turn this into some story about invasion?

I would not necessarily say steal oil but to make it easier to control the citizens and Nigeria. Have you ever heard of Africom?
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Kobojunkie: 2:37am On Nov 12, 2011
merge:

I would not necessarily say steal oil but to make it easier to control the citizens and Nigeria. Have you  ever heard of Africom?

Easier in what sense? The US pays about as much as any other country for the barrels of oil it uses daily. The US being in Kuwait for well over a decade now has not helped provide em with Oil at a bargain. Companies like BP, Chevron, sell the oil at the same price to the US, whether it be from Nigeria or from some other country. So how does oil become EASIER to control when Nigeria, the country does not have that much control over the drilling and refining of it's oil? 

I think we need to start seeing Nigeria as it truly is . . .  for lack of a better analogy  . . . imagine an ashe-wo that has been violated, and allowed herself to be used and dumped so many times. . . .Even the ones wey dey her house don trillion-dollar ra-pe am for 50 years straight. . .  what is there to steal from her again?

Africom was formerly based in Germany, yet Germany remains a Virgin compared to Nigeria. Refer to this thread if you want to know what I have always believed of the Africom deal . . . https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-137785.0.html
GOD PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR SAYING IT THIS WAY BUT I HAVE TO SO THESE FOLKS GET IT!! grin grin grin grin
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Skywalker5(m): 9:08am On Nov 12, 2011
It obvious they were going to come and invade Nigeria. Iraq,Libya and now Nigeria. and thanks to the stupid government. everytime they see white,they bow and thats is what they will use to steal our oil.

Foolish people. Do you think America wants to really help us or extort us?
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by member479760: 9:09am On Nov 12, 2011
Good development, the union will get stronger more visa to refugees and 419 guys. welfare full ground here, we go live and born on their neck, program #8 free house full ground.
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by onchefx: 9:15am On Nov 12, 2011
MAKE NIGERIA END SELF WATIN WE DEY GAIN FROM NIGERIA,MY OWN BE SAY MAKE DEM Bleep BOKO HARAM UP BRUTALLY THEY ARE WELCOME I MEAN THE US ARMY
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Nattlil(m): 9:16am On Nov 12, 2011
Abeg diz better not be true ohh because if they come diz bloody boko harram (muslims jihadist,) will multiply by there millions u.s will only make the issue worst the problem is nigerian army is filled with muslims.
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by eherbal(m): 9:19am On Nov 12, 2011
Nigeria self destructing in,10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2,
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by eunisam: 9:20am On Nov 12, 2011
make them come divide this country self.
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by PointB: 9:23am On Nov 12, 2011
Pls when are they deploying? We can't wait to welcome them!
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by kings112(m): 9:29am On Nov 12, 2011
I think it is too late.
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by freecocoa(f): 9:32am On Nov 12, 2011
Make them dey their house abeg,this is an avenue to finish this country.
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Chisom212: 9:32am On Nov 12, 2011
I see illiterates here, A Geologist would tell you there is no OIL in the north, fuuls angry
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by benlay(m): 9:33am On Nov 12, 2011
I don't know what the noise is all about, 2015 is the year we're waiting on, Nigeria will break, PERIOD
We don't need to keep fooling ourselves, how can we have people of different cultures, values, religion and complete different orientation to stay together as one country, we need to face man, not bc i'm not living in Nigeria but it's the truth.
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Nobody: 9:39am On Nov 12, 2011
they are welcome! Its bn a long time comin! BUT wait a minute, GEJ shud inform dem d area to concentrate on is d north! The ND is peaceful and we dnt need any help frm US ARMY! They shud be shown d way up-north, boko haram/northern nigeria will be their host. I nor wan see US ARMY down south at all. Abokis/almajiris brought dis upon dem selves so let dem face d sh.i.t! I dnt pity dem at all! Dem go hear whiiinnnnnn,
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by lafuria1(m): 9:44am On Nov 12, 2011
the U.S shld help wt intelligence and providin anti terror weapons 2 9ja govt but shld stay in their country. The northerners hate d U.S, so their comin wil create more radical groups and justify their attack on the govt.
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:45am On Nov 12, 2011
How authentic is dis news becos it is a dream come true.  grin cheesy Anyway, the US are more dan welcome to join the scuffle. Lets Boko and Igbobe the harams.  kiss kiss kiss

Drones ready for launch.  cool

Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Gbawe: 9:45am On Nov 12, 2011
Which sovereign nation , these days, and with all that has transpired globally, would welcome America on it soil deployed against insurgency? The minute you 'invite' America to 'help' is the minute your Nation become the new arena to fight the "infidel imperialists" . You diasporan rabble rousers have the luxury of saying what you want but this move , in reality , will be bad for Nigeria. Boko Haram will get massive support , financial and human, from virtually every terrorist group opposed to the "imperialist" ways of the USA.

We can only imagine the potential chaos in a Nation pre-disposed poorly to confronting this type of problem because of how the basics , as per intelligence collation and adequate readiness for geurilla type warfare, are non-existent. How much success did the allies have in 'taming' Iraq or Afghanistan? I still doubt that GEJ will allow this to happen. He is not a good leader but I can't believe he is so myopic he won't see the problems this will throw up with how virtually all radical terrorists groups will then deem Nigeria , with majority muslim population according to statistics, as supportive of America's essentially "Christian crusade" ideology as popularised by George Bush Jr.

We have a large muslim population and , if this go down, it will be interpreted , even by moderate muslims, as GEJ inviting "the most anti-Islamic nation on earth" to "slaughter muslims in their own Nation".

Why not simply do what is best, easiest and far less destabilizing i.e go after the sponsors of Boko Haram you have told us are already identified to include a "former head of State"?
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by kings112(m): 9:52am On Nov 12, 2011
Is this the reason why Gej proclaimed that the issue of boko haram wil soon b a history?
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Cyborg2011: 9:57am On Nov 12, 2011
What some wishes will soon materialized seeing American Troops all around Nigeria, to Fight Boko Haram while the real intention is to Seize the Oil Fields from ND.

I will wonder how ND will think they will benefit from the oil anymore after the seizure of fields by American Troops.

As they (Americans) predicted by 2015 Nigeria will split, so either they don't want to wait longer (they are in hurry to see that) or want to establish permanent Military based in ND.

Anyway, South (oil owners right ?) will now become just like Libya (u owned it and you won't benefit from it anymore), while unfortunate the North will be become no more than Somali, quite unfortunate !
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by Gbawe: 9:57am On Nov 12, 2011
la furia:

the U.S shld help wt intelligence and providin anti terror weapons 2 9ja govt but shld stay in their country. The northerners hate d U.S, so their comin wil create more radical groups and justify their attack on the govt.

Thank you !!! the way some talk here makes it difficult not to conclude they are children blissfully oblivious to how the World has changed dangerously and become polarised , for good, after 9/11. I would never pray Nigeria experience a fifth of what transpired in Iraq post Saddam Hussein with terrorist from all over the world trooping in to assist Iraq "rid itself" of "infidel invaders".

This is mere senseless gossip. GEJ won't do it because Mr. President , more than anyone else, has too much to lose as this is precisely what the sponsors of Boko Haram want to make this go 'nuclear'. Contrary to the NL 'dem versus us' feudalist, GEJ has many Northern advisors , close to the people, he will not just ignore. They will tell him, unequivocally, that this is a very bad move. As you stated , America should only supply the needed support. They must, under no circumstances, be present on the ground unless entirely covertly.
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by onyengbu: 9:59am On Nov 12, 2011
Gbawe:

We have a large muslim population and , if this go down, it will be interpreted , even by moderate muslims, as GEJ inviting "the most anti-Islamic nation on earth" to "slaughter muslims in their own Nation".

who gives a damn what they interpret!
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by daylae(m): 10:00am On Nov 12, 2011
I hope it doesn't reach a point where we see drones killing even innocents. I think this will just escalate the situation.
Re: US Military To Help Fight Boko Haram by namfav(m): 10:03am On Nov 12, 2011
sorry, but there is no way any sensible person can allow the americans to come and bomb the north, they are leaving afghanistan in a mess now they want to come to nigeria

onye_ngbu*:

who gives a damn what they interpret!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Governor Dapo Abiodun Commissions 100 Vehicles And 200 Bikes For Security / Top Ten Most Beautiful Cities In Nigeria... International Observer ( Displora) / Bayelsa New Flag: Jonathan Must Speak - Lawyers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.