Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,619 members, 7,813,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:25 AM

Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? (41243 Views)

Russians Eating Egusi Soup And Eba For The First Time / My Egusi Soup With Scent Leaves Recipe.. / A Nairalander Cooks Egusi Soup London Style (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Goldenfinger5(m): 8:14pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:
Omoh yesterday I prepared a delicious egusi soup, garnished with chicken breast, pomo, goat meat, titus fish, dry fish and okporoko (stock fish)--in addition to other essential ingredients like spicy (knorr and star), pumpkin leaf, etc etc.

Had a go at it yesterday evening and it was really good smiley
Then I warmed it like around 11:00pm.

This morning, I warmed it like around 8:00 am; I would have frozen it in my freezer but I was expecting a fellow friend who'd told me he would be coming around so I didn't see the need for freezing it yet.

Now, this evening, I just remembered it when it was already 9:50pm--that's the thing sometimes with remote work; one could get engrossed in it sometimes especially if it's my kind that has to do with coding/programming and code analysis.
I just totally forgot sad

By the time I got to the soup, I saw it was almost starting to "foam", and I quickly put it on fire. After warming, it doesn't have the fresh taste it had anymore. Tastes a LITTLE bit sour and lacking flavour sad

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do to the soup (or what can be done)? Food experts.

Mods...

My bro throw some fresh bitter leaves inside with akaun and you're good to go.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by theamazonguru(m): 8:15pm On Feb 29
We4all:

Using charcoal is definitely not healthy. People are really suffering in the hands of mama put.

Lies.

You are not chewing the charcoal oh.
If you were chewing it now, you can say it is not healthy. But in this case, I don't think that's the case.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by izibili44: 8:16pm On Feb 29
Na so.quote author=Kobojunkie post=128682334]Try adding one or more of the following as you cook/warm it.

* Maggi seasoning or any bullion/taste enhancement of your choice,
* Palm Oil
* Pepper
* Bay leaf or Iru
* finely sliced tomatoes and maybe pre-fried(this is for those who don't mind tomatoes in their egusi)

Thank me later[/quote]
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Tranquility2345: 8:17pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:
Anyone that is the first to give me an option that works will receive free 4k from me upfront, no questions asked.
The soup is NOT spoilt, just that it lost most of its taste.
See, married women are really trying o! Taking care of the home and kids with their husbands, and also attending to their works; they never seem to forget the foods in the pots like I just did. Any man that does not appreciate the labour women go through in order to tend the home needs to rethink. Not married yet, but I remember how my mom was always the keeper of the home and my dad the bread winner.

You better throw that soup away before Yamayama disease destroy that your big stomach. Which kind people be this wey person dey meet here sef? Imagine posting this kind hopeless topic. In short, Yamayama fall on that your bald head there angry
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by OgideAgu: 8:18pm On Feb 29
Put charcol and boil...add salt, onions 🌰 and maggi
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Tonystory: 8:18pm On Feb 29
The secret Is when u cook egusi soup, don’t stare too much, don’t let any other person put spoon into it, when you warm it don’t stare it.
Freezing is also good option

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by DestinyNigga: 8:18pm On Feb 29
U are eating chicken this Tinubu time. God don catch u 😂😂😂

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Tranquility2345: 8:19pm On Feb 29
Rrchrd:
Pls don't discard it things are very expensive now
Just put oziza leave, crayfish again & seasoning cube
Then enjoy your soup.

Dey there dey talk things are very expensive. No wonder poor man dey die very easily. After dem
go say na village people. Hiss! 😔
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Promax4321: 8:19pm On Feb 29
Add enough fresh onion the surface and don't stir the onion will absorb the foam and reduce sour taste.

That 6he best I can do anyone with better idea should continue with where I stopped
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Tranquility2345: 8:20pm On Feb 29
Tonystory:
The secret Is when u cook egusi soup, don’t stare too much, don’t let any other person put spoon into it, when you warm it don’t stare it.
Freezing is also good option

Guy, please go and buy a copy of Brighter Grammar to learn the difference between stir and stare. All these people wey go Yamayama public schools wey teacher go dey speak English like drunkard. Na wa angry
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by DenreleDave(m): 8:21pm On Feb 29
Acidosis:

Discard it. It's gone forever. Before you follow the tips above, ensure you keep some money for some flagyl tablets. You'll need it. Thank God you work from home -easy access to the toilet.

grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by mariahAngel(f): 8:22pm On Feb 29
EreluRoz:
He should place a charcoal in it and warm, it'll absorb the sour taste

Really?
Have you ever eaten soured egusi soup that was warmed with charcoal?

Tranquility2345:

Guy, please go and buy a copy of Brighter Grammar to learn the difference between stir and stare. All these people wey go Yamayama public schools wey teacher go dey speak English like drunkard. Na wa angry

Body kuku too dey bite this one. undecided
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by EreluRoz: 8:23pm On Feb 29
mariahAngel:

Really?
Have you ever eaten soured egusi soup that was warmed with charcoal?
No, I read it somewhere on usefulness of charcoal and saw it can be used for this and even help in poison cases
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by iamtardey: 8:23pm On Feb 29
shocked Abeg I fiy send come collect small? Fufu don turn #200 … help my life
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by efemena5050(m): 8:24pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:
Anyone that is the first to give me an option that works will receive free 4k from me upfront, no questions asked.
See, married women are really trying o! Taking care of the home and kids with their husbands, and also attending to their works; they never seem to forget the foods in the pots like I just did. Any man that does not appreciate the labour women go through in order to tend the home needs to rethink. Not married yet, but I remember how my mom was always the keeper of the home and my dad the bread winner.
u have 4k to give but u don't want to throw away the soup......Now I understand why the philosopher Mr Kun kill kun young said " people with the lowest of iq are prevalent in Nigeria.......at the end the argument will be ......do u know wat I used in preparing the soup
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Verbtips(m): 8:24pm On Feb 29
So your soup need reform first tin is to remove the subsidy wey dey the soup wash am and enjoy ;d;d;d
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by LandMann: 8:25pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:

You can't recover the original taste of the soup. Just consume the rest within the next 12 hours if you can stomach the bad smell and taste of spoilness that will still be there even if you warm it and add all the ingredients in the world.

For future reference, your egusi got bad because of the unnecessary heat in the room courtesy of being in Nigeria, and because YOU DID NOT FRY THE EGUSI IN RED OIL like you'd fry those tin tomatoes before adding stock water.

Always fry your egusi. It would make it last longer. Also, once you're almost done cooking, remove the quantity you'll be eating for the day before removing the boiling pot. Then open the cover slightly and allow it to cool before closing for the day. Don't go back to the pot to start Searching for what is not missing. Eat from the one you already kept. Lastly, keep the cooled egusi inside your freezer if you have constant electricity; the quantity you won't be needing until 2-3 days time.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Tsufyaan: 8:25pm On Feb 29
Abeg warm the soup and give to your neighbor and that is if they are interested. Meanwhile, you be big man so cook another!

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by NFBI: 8:26pm On Feb 29
SonofGod231:
Guy,go throw that thing away before belle worry you.
Na wa ohh.
You know how many soup with chicken guys don throwaway this month?
Chicken always spoil soup

It happened to me last week whole pot of soup with chicken just sour
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by bekpo(m): 8:28pm On Feb 29
Just drop a charcoal in d pot n cook with d cover of d pot open for a while, u will get back d taste.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by mariahAngel(f): 8:29pm On Feb 29
EreluRoz:
No, I read it somewhere on usefulness of charcoal and saw it can be used for this and even help in poison cases

You'd have to try it first before I'll believe. 😌
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by EreluRoz: 8:30pm On Feb 29
mariahAngel:

You'd have to try it first before I'll believe. 😌
😂

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by tiswell(m): 8:30pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:
you have deviated from the topic and started Simping.

Be redeemed insha Allah
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by mariahAngel(f): 8:31pm On Feb 29
NFBI:
Chicken always spoil soup

It happened to me last week whole pot of soup with chicken just sour

No blame chicken.
Na guys no dey warm soup on time.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Kizyte(m): 8:31pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:
Omoh yesterday I prepared a delicious egusi soup, garnished with chicken breast, pomo, goat meat, titus fish, dry fish and okporoko (stock fish)--in addition to other essential ingredients like spicy (knorr and star), pumpkin leaf, etc etc.

This morning, I warmed it like around 8:00 am; I would have frozen it in my freezer but I was expecting a fellow friend who'd told me he would be coming around so I didn't see the need for freezing it yet.

Now, this evening, I just remembered it when it was already 9:50pm--that's the thing sometimes with remote work; one could get engrossed in it sometimes especially if it's my kind that has to do with coding/programming and code analysis.

By the time I got to the soup, I saw it was almost starting to "foam", and I quickly put it on fire. After warming, it doesn't have the fresh taste it had anymore. Tastes a LITTLE bit sour and lacking flavour sad

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do to the soup (or what can be done)? Food experts.

Mods...
Add 3 or 4 average size of activated charcoal to your soup (wash off dust from the charcoal before use), and cook for about 30 minutes. Remove the charcoal and you're good

Activated Charcoal will absorb the bad taste and smell.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by noskcid(m): 8:32pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:

Mods...
Slice onions put inside the fool, warm am well
The sourness go vanish once if you never try other people opinion o
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Moniya4Real(m): 8:32pm On Feb 29
Add grinded onions and thank me later.

thymetraveler:

Mods...
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Octopusssy(f): 8:33pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:

Mods...
Add potash (ikewu/kawun) and warm on medium heat for as long as possible. It may not get back the 100% fresh taste but it will stop the foaming and sourness.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by mariahAngel(f): 8:35pm On Feb 29
AngelicBeing:
Hian, like seriously, discard a pot of soup during this famine period, No way, add small palm oil and iru to alter the taste, keep warming it, eat large quantities of it so that it will finish on time grin

Hahahahahahahaha

What can I say, Mr Angelic? cheesy
The soup will never taste the same no matter what he does.

Na small thing dey make egusi soup vex. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by KosiGee(m): 8:35pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:

Throw that soup away. Don’t poison yourself mister.

If you have N4000:00 to give away, add some more to it and make yourself a fresh soup.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by citizen202(m): 8:37pm On Feb 29
HopeAlive16:

If you can get your hands on charcoal, add a lump of it and warm the soup again. This works but I don't know how effective it will be since you've already warm it like that when you saw the foam on it, you're suppose to add the charcoal into the pot as you saw that foam and warm it together.
Alternatively, you can just dice or slice your onion and pour it into your sour soup, add a little palm oil, stir, and then allow to heat for some minutes. Taste to confirm if the sour taste is gone.
These two trick works for almost every soup, including Egwusi, Ogbono, and Banga soups etc. Try it and let us know how it goes. So sorry about your expensive pot of soup.
Get alot of fresh tomatoes slice and warm them together it will be better
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by NFBI: 8:37pm On Feb 29
mariahAngel:

No blame chicken.
Na guys no dey warm soup on time.
What about mine that sour inside the freezer?

Though it wasn't egusi soup

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How To Select A Good Watermelon / Instead Of Doing Yahoo, I Ventured Into Pap Making Business, At Age 19. / Lizard Meat: How A Nigerian Man Is Surviving Nigeria 2024 (Pics/ Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.