Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,102 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? (41289 Views)

Russians Eating Egusi Soup And Eba For The First Time / My Egusi Soup With Scent Leaves Recipe.. / A Nairalander Cooks Egusi Soup London Style (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by missyojo(f): 8:37pm On Feb 29
Op, come and tell us which of the various options you opted for and did it worked?
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Boomboost(m): 8:38pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:
Omoh yesterday I prepared a delicious egusi soup, garnished with chicken breast, pomo, goat meat, titus fish, dry fish and okporoko (stock fish)--in addition to other essential ingredients like spicy (knorr and star), pumpkin leaf, etc etc.

Had a go at it yesterday evening and it was really good smiley
Then I warmed it like around 11:00pm.

This morning, I warmed it like around 8:00 am; I would have frozen it in my freezer but I was expecting a fellow friend who'd told me he would be coming around so I didn't see the need for freezing it yet.

Now, this evening, I just remembered it when it was already 9:50pm--that's the thing sometimes with remote work; one could get engrossed in it sometimes especially if it's my kind that has to do with coding/programming and code analysis.
I just totally forgot sad

By the time I got to the soup, I saw it was almost starting to "foam", and I quickly put it on fire. After warming, it doesn't have the fresh taste it had anymore. Tastes a LITTLE bit sour and lacking flavour sad

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do to the soup (or what can be done)? Food experts.

Mods...

Put Charcoal or coal. Rinse it and stuff inside the soup! No kidding, it sucks aways the spoilage.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by TheGameYard(m): 8:38pm On Feb 29
So here is the thing, when you cook ègúsí, make sure you allow it to cook so well that the water is almost dried from it. also, ègúsí needs a good amount of palm oil. given the amount of condiment and protein you put in and also from this picture I am seeing, there isn't enough oil. Also, you should warm it a few hours after making it, and don't touch it before going to bed if you know you won't be warming it.
also, a good one is if u have a constant electricity supply, you can put it in your fridge and take out only what you want to eat.

thymetraveler:
Anyone who is the first to give me an option that works will receive free 4k from me upfront, no questions asked.
The soup is NOT spoilt, just that it lost most of its taste.
See, married women are really trying o! Taking care of the home and kids with their husbands, and also attending to their works; they never seem to forget the foods in the pots like I just did. Any man that does not appreciate the labour women go through in order to tend the home needs to rethink. Not married yet, but I remember how my mom was always the keeper of the home and my dad the bread winner.

2 Likes

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by adagba001: 8:38pm On Feb 29
Happened to me two weeks back, was about to throw it away when a neighbour advised me to sprinkle potash in it. I did and it worked. Try it and see.

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Promax4321: 8:41pm On Feb 29
Add fresh onion on the surface of soup, don't stir the soup warm for about 10 to 15 minutes, the onion will absorb the foam and reduced the sour taste

Advantage of onion over activated charcoal is it edible and improve quality and quantity of ingredients.

Try it and 5hank me later.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by mikemiyaki: 8:46pm On Feb 29
You are not nice to him at all.🤣🚶
Acidosis:

Discard it. It's gone forever. Before you follow the tips above, ensure you keep some money for some flagyl tablets. You'll need it. Thank God you work from home -easy access to the toilet.

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by mariahAngel(f): 8:46pm On Feb 29
NFBI:
What about mine that sour inside the freezer?

Though it wasn't egusi soup

Chineke! 😳
It can't be!

Something must've gone wrong somewhere.

Did you place the soup inside the freezer freshly cooked immediately after it cooled down?

We must get to the bottom of this, before you guys give chicken a bad name. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by maureensylvia(f): 8:49pm On Feb 29
Na small thing Dey make Egusi soup vex
Pour am away

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Panda7(m): 8:50pm On Feb 29
you must have covered the pot all day.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by AfonjaConehead: 8:51pm On Feb 29
After preparation,put each meal serving in small plastic plates with cover and put in the freezer. Egusi pots hates touching like ke hell
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by UnabashedIPOB: 8:52pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:
Omoh yesterday I prepared a delicious egusi soup, garnished with chicken breast, pomo, goat meat, titus fish, dry fish and okporoko (stock fish)--in addition to other essential ingredients like spicy (knorr and star), pumpkin leaf, etc etc.

This morning, I warmed it like around 8:00 am; I would have frozen it in my freezer but I was expecting a fellow friend who'd told me he would be coming around so I didn't see the need for freezing it yet.

Now, this evening, I just remembered it when it was already 9:50pm--that's the thing sometimes with remote work; one could get engrossed in it sometimes especially if it's my kind that has to do with coding/programming and code analysis.

By the time I got to the soup, I saw it was almost starting to "foam", and I quickly put it on fire. After warming, it doesn't have the fresh taste it had anymore. Tastes a LITTLE bit sour and lacking flavour sad

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do to the soup (or what can be done)? Food experts.

Mods...

You can add just a little bit of ground trisodiumhydrogencarbonate (Na2CO3. NaHCO3. 2H2 O) locally known as akanwu (Igbo), akang (Efik), kaun (Yoruba), and kanwu (Hausa). It will take away the sourness but too much of it will make it taste bad. Good luck
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by AfonjaConehead: 8:52pm On Feb 29
NFBI:
What about mine that sour inside the freezer?

Though it wasn't egusi soup
This ya own must've been in the freezer for a month,haba nah 😁😁😁
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by AfonjaConehead: 8:54pm On Feb 29
UnabashedIPOB:

You can add just a little bit of ground trisodiumhydrogencarbonate (Na2CO3. NaHCO3. 2H2 O) locally known as akanwu (Igbo), akang (Efik), kaun (Yoruba), and kanwu (Hausa). It will take away the sourness but too much of it will make it taste bad. Good luck

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by nedekid: 8:55pm On Feb 29
Guy, painful as it may be trashing the food, it will cost you more to treat yourself for food poisoning.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by JayPeeOham: 8:56pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:

Mods...

1. Just add palm oil and slice fresh onions into the soup

2. Throw a cube of charcoal inside the soup and leave for about an hour (you can Google this if you think it's a joke)

By the way, you should have scooped some of the soup to freeze after all your friend couldn't have eaten the whole soup.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by fearlessfang: 8:57pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:

Mods...
send me your account number and I’ll pay for you to cook another before you poison yourself
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by kissval1388: 8:58pm On Feb 29
Angelfrost:

Sigh... Na so we see am o!

The other thread was someone advocating Toads and Frogs as cheaper alternatives to Beef and Fish! Just imagine. embarassed

Sapa don dey overtake Nigerian social media space. cry

Omo I just weak
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Germi9: 9:00pm On Feb 29
Next time put it on fire ,make sure you dont put spoon inside or turn it ..then slice some onion into it and allow it to hot very well then your soup will be back to normal fresh
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by zoedew: 9:05pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:

Mods...
Egusi soup no get shame! I had that experience back in time.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by ComeToJesus: 9:09pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:
Anyone that is the first to give me an option that works will receive free 4k from me upfront, no questions asked.
See, married women are really trying o! Taking care of the home and kids with their husbands, and also attending to their works; they never seem to forget the foods in the pots like I just did. Any man that does not appreciate the labour women go through in order to tend the home needs to rethink. Not married yet, but I remember how my mom was always the keeper of the home and my dad the bread winner.

You can never have that initial, somewhat burnt, peanut-like, cocky, original melon taste any longer - the moment there is a deconstruction of the taste occasioned by a mild bacterial action. You just have to manage the bland and insipid taste until you finish or discard it.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Ramirezkhay(m): 9:09pm On Feb 29
cheesy

My own Dy very Simple!

Add charcoal to remove the toxins

Heat up your groundnut or palm oil and pour it on the egusi, make sure the oil covers the entire egusi then warm and stir carefully...

You'll then proceed to reduce excess oil with your spoon down to your taste then add Maggi or This chicken seasoning! (You go allow make he calm so you go fit see the oil remove easily)

Waya my 4K grin

Meanwhile it takes a sharp mind to do it accurately by managing the time it spends on fire ..

I don't know the vegetable wey you use but na Ugwu leaf sure pass cos he Dy hard a bit pass others

grin
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Ray07(m): 9:09pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:

Mods...
Add plenty crayfish and pepper, rayco seasoning, small potash and oil.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by AngelicBeing: 9:10pm On Feb 29
mariahAngel:

Hahahahahahahaha

What can I say, Mr Angelic? cheesy
The soup will never taste the same no matter what he does.

Na small thing dey make egusi soup vex. cheesy
tongue

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by dhoncesar(m): 9:13pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:
Anyone that is the first to give me an option that works will receive free 4k from me upfront, no questions asked.

You just didn't take not... Like you said. You are distracted by your work.. you should have dishes the rest of the soup and kept it in the freezer ,leaving the portion that you wanted to serve your friend... So by this time you wouldn't have lost all the taste. I would have just been your friends portion alone.

Manage your soup.

Such mistake will not be made next time.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by ObalendeCMS: 9:13pm On Feb 29
fearlessfang:
send me your account number and I’ll pay for you to cook another before you poison yourself

Sir, can I send my account number?

I'll like to prepare something like this too. Thanks
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by phrezzz: 9:14pm On Feb 29
Find Akaun
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Camaro5: 9:20pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:

Mods...

Watch as our girls will flood this post now.. Dem too like food
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Johnchrix(m): 9:24pm On Feb 29
There's nothing you can do about it. You cant reverse the reaction. Next time keep close observation.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by EmmyMaestro(m): 9:36pm On Feb 29
Sour soup is medical. grin grin grin grin

If you keep warming it, it can turn to draw soup
And if you keep warming the draw soup, it can turn to banga soup
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by femi4: 10:00pm On Feb 29
jaymichael:
Add a little potash (kaun or akaun).
Second option, add a little baking soda also known as soda bicarbonate. Any of the option works.
yea, you don learn work from iya Basira hand

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by ubee(m): 10:06pm On Feb 29
Hold on o! In a single pot of Egusi, you put Chicken, pomo, goat meat, and Titus, all with Dry fish and Stock fish?

Are you sure you are mentally okay?
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by themanderon: 10:10pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:

Mods...
Otilo. My guy e don go. Bacteria has corrupted the taste of the soup.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lizard Meat: How A Nigerian Man Is Surviving Nigeria 2024 (Pics/ Videos) / Foreigners Mistake Eba For A Bar Of Soap On Twitter (Photos) / My First Time Of Killing And Eating Snake (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.