Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,394 members, 7,815,844 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? (41302 Views)

Russians Eating Egusi Soup And Eba For The First Time / My Egusi Soup With Scent Leaves Recipe.. / A Nairalander Cooks Egusi Soup London Style (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by imagrg(m): 8:23am On Mar 01
Oh boy, throw it away and cook another soup. I hope you know what's called 'food poisoning'?
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by YoungBlackRico(m): 8:45am On Mar 01
Eya, Pele it's gone. You fit rinse and reuse all the orisiri you put inside sha πŸ€£πŸ˜”grin
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by lendahand(m): 9:12am On Mar 01
Kobojunkie:
Try adding one or more of the following as you cook/warm it.

* Maggi seasoning or any bullion/taste enhancement of your choice,
* Palm Oil
* Pepper
* Bay leaf or Iru
* finely sliced tomatoes and maybe pre-fried(this is for those who don't mind tomatoes in their egusi)

Thank me later
bad situation manager, you forgot to tell op to get ready for diarrhea.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by abauhere(m): 9:23am On Mar 01
thymetraveler:
Omoh yesterday I prepared a delicious egusi soup, garnished with chicken breast, pomo, goat meat, titus fish, dry fish and okporoko (stock fish)--in addition to other essential ingredients like spicy (knorr and star), pumpkin leaf, etc etc.

Had a go at it yesterday evening and it was really good smiley
Then I warmed it like around 11:00pm.

This morning, I warmed it like around 8:00 am; I would have frozen it in my freezer but I was expecting a fellow friend who'd told me he would be coming around so I didn't see the need for freezing it yet.

Now, this evening, I just remembered it when it was already 9:50pm--that's the thing sometimes with remote work; one could get engrossed in it sometimes especially if it's my kind that has to do with coding/programming and code analysis.
I just totally forgot sad

By the time I got to the soup, I saw it was almost starting to "foam", and I quickly put it on fire. After warming, it doesn't have the fresh taste it had anymore. Tastes a LITTLE bit sour and lacking flavour sad

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do to the soup (or what can be done)? Food experts.

Mods...

Just place two cubes of charcoal inside The soup ,by the left and right side and watch wonders happen.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Aarenasbaba(m): 9:44am On Mar 01
You’re should have put a little charcoal inside
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Jeje247: 10:19am On Mar 01
Kobojunkie:
I use tomatoes in cooking my egusi and experience none of what you claim. I have used my method to revive many soups so I can't agree with any of what you claim. undecided
We don't agree with each other. 1-1
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by ibinaboonline: 10:49am On Mar 01
Catastrophic πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Rayd502:
You can't get back that freshness...Egusi soup is one soup that requires preservation in a fridge immediately it cools following it's preparation.

With all the condiments you prepared it iwith ,it must have been so tasty. Losing a pot of soup in this Tinubu era is catastrophic.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by ibinaboonline: 10:49am On Mar 01
Oh my God πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜… πŸ˜… 🀣
Acidosis:

Discard it. It's gone forever. Before you follow the tips above, ensure you keep some money for some flagyl tablets. You'll need it. Thank God you work from home -easy access to the toilet.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by ibinaboonline: 10:53am On Mar 01
Omo, don't stress it. Females are fashioned by God and nature for their roles. Same way you as a man, I suppose, is fashioned by God for your roles too. As you're amazed by what a woman can do, they're amazed by what you can do as well.
thymetraveler:
Anyone that is the first to give me an option that works will receive free 4k from me upfront, no questions asked.
The soup is NOT spoilt, just that it lost most of its taste.
See, married women are really trying o! Taking care of the home and kids with their husbands, and also attending to their works; they never seem to forget the foods in the pots like I just did. Any man that does not appreciate the labour women go through in order to tend the home needs to rethink. Not married yet, but I remember how my mom was always the keeper of the home and my dad the bread winner.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by ibinaboonline: 10:55am On Mar 01
Can also think of how sellers handle egusi, palm oil, banga, fresh fish, pepper, crayfish, the lots.
We4all:

Have you thought about how sellers handle charcoal and the poor sanitary conditions in which it is produced? That is enough reason for it not to be used on anything edible.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by TYCO77: 10:59am On Mar 01
[color=#000099][/color]
We4all:

Using charcoal is definitely not healthy. People are really suffering in the hands of mama put.

Charcoal is made from peat, coal, wood, coconut shell, or petroleum. Activated charcoal is made by heating charcoal in the presence of a gas. This process causes the charcoal to develop lots of internal spaces or pores. These pores help activated charcoal trap chemicals.

Activated charcoal is commonly used to treat poisoning. It is also used for high cholesterol, hangovers, and upset stomach, but there is no strong scientific evidence to support most of these uses.

Experts do not recommend activated charcoal detoxes for general use. Unless the levels of toxins are high, the body is typically able to detoxify itself. Activated charcoal is only effective against certain toxins in certain circumstances. Doctors use it to remove specific poisons from the body shortly after ingestion.

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by ultraviolet27(f): 11:11am On Mar 01
All those Proteins you added in the Soup was even too much it may have led to it depreciating quickly also let Egusi Soup breathe!!
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by mariahAngel(f): 11:19am On Mar 01
Munzy14:

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Ofe ya agbaala uka..

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha grin

E shichaa ofe taa, echi ya agbaa uka. Typical of guys. grin
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by shegunmessi(m): 11:23am On Mar 01
Put charcoal inside and thanks me later
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Paulsalifu(m): 11:44am On Mar 01
Reduce the use of onion in eguisi soup, onion is oxidable (cant explain that now) and also, immediate after warming ur food , allow the steam to to evaporate out of the pot , please dont close the steam (vapor) back into the pot , if posible fan the food so that it will be cold again , once it's cold , it can never sour for that day. Repeat the same process every day for four days , but buy the fifth day, the equisi go done weak out of over warming.

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Love800(m): 11:48am On Mar 01
Will one eat the charcoal too?

And what is activated charcoal?
Kizyte:
Add 3 or 4 average size of activated charcoal to your soup (wash off dust from the charcoal before use), and cook for about 30 minutes. Remove the charcoal and you're good

Activated Charcoal will absorb the bad taste and smell.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Moscoprof(m): 1:15pm On Mar 01
Bros go and get curry leaf slice put inside.. the food Wey go Calabar go come back Lagos. We dey warm food come back to life in those days for UNIBEN HALL 4. smiley smiley bros send my 4k for me 8035584750 OPAY
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Munzy14(m): 1:27pm On Mar 01
mariahAngel:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha grin

E shichaa ofe taa, echi ya agbaa uka. Typical of guys. grin
O kwa i biala now..🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

Refrigerating it would av been his best option.
Well he learnt his lessons the best way.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Babaibeji2020(m): 1:41pm On Mar 01
We4all:

So, your grandma adds charcoal to her soup? The poster talked about putting charcoal inside egusi and I said it isn't healthy. What are you hyperventilating about?
....What makes it unhealthy, pocket doctor?
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Kobojunkie: 2:24pm On Mar 01
lendahand:
βˆ† bad situation manager, you forgot to tell op to get ready for diarrhea.
Which of the above do you not already currently add to your food that you foresee causing you diarrhea when you do? undecided
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Kobojunkie: 3:07pm On Mar 01
TYCO77:
[color=#000099][/color]

Charcoal is made from peat, coal, wood, coconut shell, or petroleum. Activated charcoal is made by heating charcoal in the presence of a gas. This process causes the charcoal to develop lots of internal spaces or pores. These pores help activated charcoal trap chemicals.

Activated charcoal is commonly used to treat poisoning. It is also used for high cholesterol, hangovers, and upset stomach, but there is no strong scientific evidence to support most of these uses.

Experts do not recommend activated charcoal detoxes for general use. Unless the levels of toxins are high, the body is typically able to detoxify itself. Activated charcoal is only effective against certain toxins in certain circumstances. Doctors use it to remove specific poisons from the body shortly after ingestion.
So which market person go go buy activated charcoal from? undecided
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Kizyte(m): 3:08pm On Mar 01
Love800:
Will one eat the charcoal too?

And what is activated charcoal?
No! After cooking your spoilt soup with the charcoal in it, remove the charcoal.

Ignore the word "Activated", use the normal charcoal you know (it's already activated).

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Kobojunkie: 3:09pm On Mar 01
Kizyte:
No! After cooking your spoilt soup with the charcoal in it, remove the charcoal.

Ignore the word "Activated", use the normal charcoal you know (it's already activated).
Ordinary charcoal is already activated? undecided
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Love800(m): 3:13pm On Mar 01
Okay.
Will it remove the sour taste eventually?
Or
It will just make it nice for some period of time?
Kizyte:

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by TYCO77: 3:48pm On Mar 01
[color=#000099][/color]
Kobojunkie:
So which market person go go buy activated charcoal from? undecided

If you are in Nigeria search google, ''Where to buy activated charcoal locally'' you will find several outlets where it is sold. You can still purchase it via Jumia.com, Konga.com or Mano.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Psoul(m): 4:31pm On Mar 01
thymetraveler:
Omoh yesterday I prepared a delicious egusi soup, garnished with chicken breast, pomo, goat meat, titus fish, dry fish and okporoko (stock fish)--in addition to other essential ingredients like spicy (knorr and star), pumpkin leaf, etc etc.

Had a go at it yesterday evening and it was really good smiley
Then I warmed it like around 11:00pm.

This morning, I warmed it like around 8:00 am; I would have frozen it in my freezer but I was expecting a fellow friend who'd told me he would be coming around so I didn't see the need for freezing it yet.

Now, this evening, I just remembered it when it was already 9:50pm--that's the thing sometimes with remote work; one could get engrossed in it sometimes especially if it's my kind that has to do with coding/programming and code analysis.
I just totally forgot sad

By the time I got to the soup, I saw it was almost starting to "foam", and I quickly put it on fire. After warming, it doesn't have the fresh taste it had anymore. Tastes a LITTLE bit sour and lacking flavour sad

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do to the soup (or what can be done)? Food experts.

Mods...

Just add one or two charcoal in the soup and warm. The sour smell and taste will disappear
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by predictor1: 5:02pm On Mar 01
iichidodo:
The soup has gone bad and has started decomposition albeit in an unpalatable state...The main culprits are the flesh components of the soup, chuck them out...Then buy fresh fish or meat, parboil them and sautee them before adding the whole package into the soup to bring back that aroma and flavor... You're welcome.
You are correct.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Kizyte(m): 5:13pm On Mar 01
Love800:
Okay.
Will it remove the sour taste eventually?
Or
It will just make it nice for some period of time?
It's will remove the bad taste and smell
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Kizyte(m): 5:16pm On Mar 01
Kobojunkie:
Ordinary charcoal is already activated? undecided
As far as it has been heated with high temperature
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Kobojunkie: 5:20pm On Mar 01
Kizyte:
As far as it has been heated with high temperature
No be true abeg! We are talking temperatures up to about 500 degrees. Most people in Nigeria don't have that kind of heating capacity. undecided
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Prestigesog74: 5:28pm On Mar 01
Well I have taken time to read those comments, well the person that told you to add charcoal was actually right .
I was once in this situation, all you need do is to warm the soup and while it's warming add a piece or two of charcoal to the soup , it absorbs the sour taste then set it aside. In another pot dice onions and fry it with palm add a little pepper and let fry, then transfer the warmed soup into the fried onions and pepper but remove the charcoal first . It's does wonders

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Foreigners Mistake Eba For A Bar Of Soap On Twitter (Photos) / My First Time Of Killing And Eating Snake (PHOTOS) / Orijin: The Brand That Came, Saw And Conquered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.