Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,379 members, 7,815,805 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) (43310 Views)

Between These Two Home Interiors, Which One Do You Prefer? / Why Do Tenants Always Prefer Packing Out At Night? / Landlord Or Landlady, Which Of These Do You Prefer To Rent Their Houses?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by emperor4love(m): 10:58am On Mar 06
Insulation from heat matters wen comparing
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by PotatoSalad(m): 10:59am On Mar 06
If you don install solar panels on a gable roof, you go know say that roof style na nonsense
Especially that send down the rain roof
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by Olarewaju89: 11:03am On Mar 06
frankyychiji:
"thread"

Don't mention.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by uncleck: 11:08am On Mar 06
Flat/Hidden roof is not for Nigeria.
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 11:09am On Mar 06
I like THAT.

That has always been my choice, I just like it.
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 11:09am On Mar 06
emperor4love:
Insulation from heat matters wen comparing

Which one is better?
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 11:10am On Mar 06
uncleck:
Flat/Hidden roof is not for Nigeria.

How?

Ease explain, I will like to know because I have interest in the roofing style.
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by beardedboy(m): 11:12am On Mar 06
airsaylongcome:
Can never go for flat roofs in Nigeria. Humid environment coupled with zero building competence will mean that proper water drainage in the roof will be a nightmare
Hire competent architects and structural engineers.

1 Like

Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by NoToPile: 11:15am On Mar 06
spyder880:
How about these two, which do you prefer and why?

I prefer the 2nd, it's unlike the flat roof posted by the OP has a reasonable level of slant. Won't require as much maintenence as the OP's flat roof.
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by mariahAngel(f): 11:18am On Mar 06
money121:
This or that

And please share your Reason cool cool

I prefer this one just because it looks familiar.

Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by Praxis758: 11:20am On Mar 06
How did it wreck you financially because flat roofings do not consume materials like the gamble ones?

Pls educate us.

Donchieli:
Creativity at its best

But wic wan b FLAT

And wic wan GAMBLE

Cuz dat one wer zinc no de show I run dat pattern omo

E wreck e financially

I neva still fit finish lyk dz
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by 4KNGOATS(m): 11:25am On Mar 06
Olarewaju89:

This thread is not for you undecided
Yes only fools woukd think otherwise
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by CCIA: 11:26am On Mar 06
money121:
Flat Roofing style

Or

Gable Roofing Style
Flat all the way.

every square inch fitted with solar panels too. cool
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by CCIA: 11:28am On Mar 06
bassdow:
The roof style on Second building, is much better for Solar Panel installation than what's used on the first building.

In other words, Solar Panels works better on Flat Roofs works much better than Gabble roofs
your head dey your neck cool
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by melodyogonna(m): 11:30am On Mar 06
That
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by RepoMan007: 11:45am On Mar 06
It is easier to cool a building with style one roof.
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by azpekuliar: 11:52am On Mar 06
GloriousGbola:

neither
the first is copy pasted from western residential architeture and serves NO purpose. it is simply architects wasting clients money. the roof has a steep slope so that snow will slide down rather than collect on it until the weight of the snow makes the roof cave in. this is not an issue in africa, so a roof with a gentle slope is fine. i am always irritated when i see all these house with roofs like this. a fool and his money roofs

even more so as tropical temperatures mean that the attic [that space under the roof] is useless

the second is not a roof but a concrete slab. it requires a waterproof membrae that usually has to be replaced every four years or so.

I always found those 'Igwe' roofs to be ugly and a waste of roofing materials. I prefer concrete slab roofs and I hear there is a type of waterproof membrane available now that lasts up to 10 years.
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by Killermamba: 11:53am On Mar 06
money121:
This or that

go for the high roof, though more expensive it has a very low maintenance. The hidden roof type is cheaper, problematic and has a very high maintenance rate. Also it's very pron to leakage. Talking from person experience as an engineer.

1 Like

Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by MT: 11:58am On Mar 06
money121:
This or that

That triangle roofing anyday anytime.

The aesthetic is top notch.

That white stuff underneath that goes round the entire circumference adds to the aesthetic as well. I don't know the name that white layer is called. Someone once called it paraphet. I am not sure.

Please which one is "gable" out of the two. Just wanna learn.
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by GloriousGbola: 11:58am On Mar 06
azpekuliar:

I always found those 'Igwe' roofs to be ugly and a waste of roofing materials. I prefer concrete slab roofs and I hear there is a type of waterprrof membrane available now that lasts up to 10 years.

i guess as a naija matter they have become some sort of big man statement and have caught on, so here we are.

yes, long lasting membranes exist - but the fking problem in naija is too much fake in the market. you have to sharp your eye wella so you dont get one inferior quality membrane that will start leaking in two years angry sad
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by CaptainFM1: 11:59am On Mar 06
immortalcrown:
Why didn't you use the same building design to compare the different roofing styles? You can see that the Gamble roofing style on the first building will not be so bad on the second building but the flat roofing style on that second building will look so bad on the first building.

Therefore, my preference depends on the building design. Duplicate the first building design, try roof A on one copy of the building
and try roof B on the other copy of the building. Do the same on the second building
design. Then, you will clearly get my point.
I also think that roofing style is not always about style choice but about purpose. For example, solar panels can be the reason for
the flat roof. A helipad on a building calls for a
flat roof. Weather condition can also influence
roofing choice.

You can't use the same design. For Flat roofing, the building design has to be adapted to for that purpose.
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by MT: 12:00pm On Mar 06
PotatoSalad:
If you don install solar panels on a gable roof, you go know say that roof style na nonsense
Especially that send down the rain roof

I can create another flat surface to hold those panel if need be..

That triangular roof for me anyday. Such a beauty!
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by MT: 12:01pm On Mar 06
GloriousGbola:

i guess as a naija matter they have become some sort of big man statement and have caught on, so here we are.

yes, long lasting membranes exist - but the fking problem in naija is too much fake in the market. you have to sharp your eye wella so you dont get one inferior quality membrane that will start leaking in two years angry sad

How do we know original from fake as I am at a stage I want to do that triangular roofing.

Please educate me further
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by GloriousGbola: 12:05pm On Mar 06
MT:

How do we know original from fake as I am at a stage I want to do that triangular roofing.

Please educate me further

best advice i can give on that is to source by yourself rather than let the vendor do it. unless you trust the vendor implicitly
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by MT: 12:12pm On Mar 06
GloriousGbola:

best advice i can give on that is to source by yourself rather than let the vendor do it. unless you trust the vendor implicitly

Thanks.

However, I do not know what to look out for. Do you have any advice in this regard?
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by femi4: 12:28pm On Mar 06
money121:
This or that

That is a modern style
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by Bode3: 12:33pm On Mar 06
The two roofs are different, the first residential building roof while the second is mostly for commercial building. Where you are building your house should determine if eventually you might convert it to commercial in the future.
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by 007kjb: 12:38pm On Mar 06
As nwafor I will go with send down the rain any time any day seven days a week
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by uncleck: 12:39pm On Mar 06
CatchMeIfUCanMO:

How?

Ease explain, I will like to know because I have interest in the roofing style.
1. High cost of maintenance: Due to heavy rainfall, especially in southern part of Nigeria, the external walls of your building will require more frequent maintenance...

2. Leakage: Building materials, especially roofing materials, is becoming more and more inferior in Nigeria. For instance, 2×2 Pauline in the market is now less than 1×1 in size. 0.45mm gauge of roofing sheet is no longer more than 0.35mm in thickness. Consequently, there's high tendency of having leaky roof if it's flat... Whenever inexperienced technicians climb it, they create more harm...

3. Maintenance difficulty: flat roof is difficult to service...

1 Like

Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by Sukovick(m): 12:43pm On Mar 06
na flat o because e de reduce expenses
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by mukthar2000(m): 12:47pm On Mar 06
I choose that

Becos is very economical and can't consumed much roof or money b4 u get it done.
Re: Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos) by YourGFsnatcher: 1:02pm On Mar 06
money121:
Flat Roofing style

Or

Gable Roofing Style
Flat

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Facts About People Living In Face Me I face You Houses / Plywood Ghetto-house Under Lagos Bridge That Has An Air-conditioner! / Strangest Buildings In The World (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.