Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,933 members, 7,814,170 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away - Pets (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away (43715 Views)

How Emotionally Hard Was It To Sell Or Give Them Away? / Police Arrest Man Caught Having Sex With Pet Cat / Man Found Dead In His Bedroom Beside His Python Pet In U.K.(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by OloolaSunky1122(m): 7:51pm On Mar 14
EmekaStanley:
Lately I have been seeing lots of parrots videos on my fyp on TikTok, especially the talking ones. I found it so cute and amazing.

This afternoon on my way back to the office, I saw a guy selling these parrots, na so I call am, bought the parrots, 2-in-1 for that matter.

Getting to the office, as a new and first time pet owner, I was excited.

I noticed that if I tried to to get close to the parrots via the cage, they turned their backs especially the smaller one.

I didn't know what prompted me to try bringing the birds out from the cage with my hands, one of the birds grabbed my finger with it's beak and bit me real hard.

It gave a cut that bled more than I'll ever imagine.

Long story short, I just told my office assistant to carry the birds to her house. I no do pet owner again.

Imagine if this had bitten any of my kids.

Same day I owned a pet, same day I became petless.

ES

You seems strange to them …
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by Almiron: 7:52pm On Mar 14
sirblend:
Let us see the bleeding fingers or you are lying...
he'd definitely lying, he downloaded the pictures somewhere online
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by salem1996: 7:52pm On Mar 14
Kingbuhari:
Make sure you go for parrot anti rabbies injection before you start barking like parrots

Your office boy below grin

That would be evil very very evil grin grin grin grin
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by gadgethead: 7:54pm On Mar 14
Brendaniel:
I think you have to keep and feed them for a while to know you...

You that gave them millets, how did it turn out? 😂😂😂
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by albert2512: 7:55pm On Mar 14
EmekaStanley:
Lately I have been seeing lots of parrots videos on my fyp on TikTok, especially the talking ones. I found it so cute and amazing.

This afternoon on my way back to the office, I saw a guy selling these parrots, na so I call am, bought the parrots, 2-in-1 for that matter.

I noticed that if I tried to to get close to the parrots via the cage, they turned their backs especially the smaller one.

I didn't know what prompted me to try bringing the birds out from the cage with my hands, one of the birds grabbed my finger with it's beak and bit me real hard.

Long story short, I just told my office assistant to carry the birds to her house. I no do pet owner again.

ES

These are not parrot but they are called Love Bird. Yes, they bite hard too. You must buy them in twos cos if one dies, the other dies. They don't live alone.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by CaptainZubi: 7:56pm On Mar 14
etrange:
Lol... beautiful birds. You made a mistake.

You don't grab a parrot, instead you teach them to step up (that is, hope on your fingers). You don't get touchy with your parrots the first few days after you got them. You must allow them settle in and get used to the environment. You leave them in the cage and spend a lot of time near the cage. If your parrot is hand-raised, this is sufficient to get started, otherwise, you'd still need to do the whole finger-no-danger exercise. When you eventually open the cage, you MUST let them come out on thier own. Again, if they weren't hand raised, you must also avoid fast movements and maybe eye contacts depending on how skittish they are. It's after the bird is comfortable with you that you can start the basic training. Parrots love training sessions, they like attention, they like to be handled and they're clingy once they bond with you (parrots sometimes get too clingy). But if you don't start off correctly, they can be very aggressive and loud. Every bad move threatens your bond cause they don't forget.

These ones are called Senegalese parrots. They are very affectionate and could develop separation anxiety if not well socialized. They are not as loud as other mini-sized parrots like green cheek conure and sun conure but they're also not great in learning to talk. They just want to stay on your shoulder all the time. All parrots are clingy, but these ones are moderately clingy. Finally, like most parrots, they require balanced diet, exercise and mental stimulation to avoid developing bad behaviors like feather plucking, aggression and nose making.
This story you're talking doesn't apply to specie the guy bought above. Those are Senegalese parrots and they don't talk. They don't learn anything too. All they do is scream when you try to pick them up.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by nickyvil: 7:59pm On Mar 14
CHIOMAEZEH:
You wan compare Oyibo parrot with Boko haram parrot

This is one of the parrot that are trafficking to Western work, though it's not costly like African grey. This is a very intelligent parrot if you give them more time and training. I have 1 and it's very very intelligent , mimick but stubborn. He barks like my dogs and have their different bark that sometimes you wont even know. But He normally do it at his own will.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by maasoap(m): 8:00pm On Mar 14
Nokio2:
Why u do so now
U for give that nairaland owl fryer
By now we for know weda Parrot is red meat or not
Give ur assistant money for ground nut o
Make dem no later go feed am leftover EBA or akpu parrot go begin yarn local dialect
grin grin grin
Local dialect is not that bad nah
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by Truvelisback(m): 8:00pm On Mar 14
EmekaStanley:

ES
You were impatient. Get another, feed it and leave it in its cage for sometime.
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by nickyvil: 8:00pm On Mar 14
CaptainZubi:

This story you're talking doesn't apply to specie the guy bought above. Those are Senegalese parrots and they don't talk. They don't learn anything too. All they do is scream when you try to pick them up.

Who told you that they don't

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by Victoria2022(f): 8:01pm On Mar 14
😂😂😂 Those parrot sees you like a threat.
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by CaptainZubi: 8:03pm On Mar 14
nickyvil:

Who told you that they don't
Those things don't. If you have one you think talks, it's just probably a specie that looks like it. Probably a parakeet or something.
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:04pm On Mar 14
EmekaStanley:

ES
It's because they are hungry. They mistook your hand for a rare delicious snack
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by Brendaniel: 8:04pm On Mar 14
gadgethead:

You that gave them millets, how did it turn out? 😂😂😂

I don't have parrots...

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by Tonytonex(m): 8:05pm On Mar 14
LOL. At just the title alone
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by Creamypie(m): 8:08pm On Mar 14
EmekaStanley:

ES
them never know u now.
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by Tonytonex(m): 8:08pm On Mar 14
EmekaStanley:

ES
you don't know how to pet them that's why
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by Machinegun91(m): 8:14pm On Mar 14
Try snakes pets next time

Their bites won't make you bleed

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by nickyvil: 8:18pm On Mar 14
CaptainZubi:

Those things don't. If you have one you think talks, it's just probably a specie that looks like it. Probably a parakeet or something.

Like I said they do talk and mimick, but most their words are not clear like grey parrot, you can go to YouTube and see yourself, mine talk comfortably cos I create time when I'm less busy and put him in my room, I had to go disturb him from sleep now. And they don't like to be disturb when they are sleeping though

https://youtube.com/shorts/f0bSjXzfqes?si=28BgaXDWFZKmAJ9f

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by Recardo(m): 8:18pm On Mar 14
EmekaStanley:

ES

You don't keep two parrots in a cage. They'll become restless and one will eventually kill the other.
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by Tradepunter2: 8:18pm On Mar 14
EmekaStanley:

ES

You watched ticktock and just went ahead and bought something without any knowledge on how to win their trust?? Omooo this TIK TOK is really making people dumb..... Animal that don't know you existence will just warm up to you just like that You didn't even feed them consistently for up to week to win their trust and just want sharp sharp results

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:19pm On Mar 14
bbq d 2 fuckaz!
cool
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:19pm On Mar 14
EmekaStanley:
grin grin grin

Aboki get parrot?
dey play!
grin
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by nickyvil: 8:20pm On Mar 14
Recardo:

You don't keep two parrots in a cage. They'll become restless and one will eventually kill the other.

It's pair, so male and female. Best is to have a pair in the cage. They won't be bored and won't have to go through depressed.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by iLegendd(m): 8:22pm On Mar 14
EmekaStanley: ...

You should've used them to create Tiktok/YouTube contents. They get millions of views. When you were buying, you should've recorded. The first time you went to play with them record. By now we would've been watching the video of the bite and laughing in exchange fo views and money.

10 Likes

Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by Recardo(m): 8:25pm On Mar 14
nickyvil:

It's pair, so male and female. Best is to have a pair in the cage. They won't be bored and won't have to go through depressed.

that's how my chinedum killed lisa because i was looking for pet parrots, like a decade ago
Don't keep two parrots in a cage.
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by tamdun: 8:25pm On Mar 14
Fake
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by nickyvil: 8:27pm On Mar 14
Recardo:

that's how my chinedum killed lisa because i was looking for pet parrots, like a decade ago
Don't keep two parrots in a cage.

Parrot are social animal and they do good when they are paired. If you buy them from different source, before you put them together, you have to put their cage side by side for weeks for them to communicate before any other thing.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by Hectroy(m): 8:27pm On Mar 14
Brendaniel:
I think you have to keep and feed them for a while to know you...
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by Recardo(m): 8:29pm On Mar 14
nickyvil:

Parrot are social animal and they do good when they are paired. If you buy them from different source, before you put them together, you have to put their cage side by side for weeks for them to communicate before any other thing.

Sis, you don't keep two parrots in a cage. All this your grammar sef, have you ever own a pair of parrots before?
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by etrange: 8:30pm On Mar 14
CaptainZubi:

And what did I call them in my post, Nigerian parrots? How many of them have you owned or trained to have come to this conclusion? Or you expect them to come tamed and affectionate? Dude, if you don't have any knowledge about something, let people that know talk. I've trained birds for almost 8 years. As I'm typing this, I have a conure and a boogie on my bed with me and I've trained Senegalese parrots both in sanctuaries and homes.

Like I clearly said in my comments, these are Senegalese parrots and they are not great talkers but they talk nevertheless. Contrary to your submission, everything I said about them is 100% accurate. They're affectionate and they bond real good with thier owners. They are shoulder birds and they do talk. They just don't learn words easily like African grey and when they speak, it may not be as clear as other parrots known for talking. You don't pick up a parrot, they step up (hop on your finger). That is the first thing they learn within the first couple of weeks. If you can't teach a bird to step up, you shouldn't even own one cause that's easiest thing to teach. Any parrot that is not hand raised will behave the way you described regardless of the species. You don't go out there, bring a bird home and expect them to behave like you see on tv on the basis of species. No, it doesn't work that way. The process I described up there applies to virtually every parrot. Only a hand raised parrot or a tamed one will allow you touch it without screaming and Senegalese parrots can be trained just like any other parrot.

This is one talking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_GsWrO1s-U?feature=shared

Here is a good breakdown of thier personality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGQRHp2iCGk?feature=shared

As you can see in the two videos, they're not screaming cause they've been trained not to do it, and nobody is picking them up. 🙄
Re: My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away by Nwibii: 8:33pm On Mar 14
We d find money for food, u d come carry money go buy parrots wey u go later buy food d feed for this hard Tinubu season.

Shey ur neighbor no need money

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Just Found This Young Bird By The Corner Of My House. How Do I Help It? (pics) / What Breed Is This Dog, Pls? / Kano State Dog Walk(first Time Ever)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.