Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,854 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree (75539 Views)

2016 And 2017 Graduates How Have You Been Coping? / Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe / Open Letter To Second Class And Third Class Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by 7upnigeria: 10:03pm On Mar 23
Goodvibes8:
Sweet heart Don’t judge the book by its cover.
Not everyone who graduated with a third class are dull or unserious when in school.
Life happens to anyone academically, financially, health wise, businesses and so on.
I went to a state university and I paid my tuition fees ALL by myself, I had little time to attend lectures and study my books being a commercial bike rider and laundry service provider just to pay my bills back then. It wasn’t an easy ride for me.
I don’t blame anybody, I take responsibility for my actions.
I still Thank God I’m not where I used to be.

Am a graduate too but am just beginning to know that it's better you dont even go to school than to attend university and come out with bad grades. When you tell people you went to school, they're more interested in the course you studied and the grades you came out with. The moment you tell them you came out with third class, your judgement will definitely start from there.

I'll advise you continue the hustle. Some hustlers make far more than all these salary people. Hustle, save and put your savings in good investments. Investments that will bring money for you in 2024 include content creation, AI, Amazon KDP, affiliate marketing etc.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by shunlet210: 10:03pm On Mar 23
Goodvibes8:
Not everyone who graduated with a third class are dull or unserious when in school.
Life happens to anyone academically, financially, health wise, businesses and so on.
I went to a state university and I paid my tuition fees ALL by myself, I had little time to attend lectures and study my books being a commercial bike rider and laundry service provider just to pay my bills back then. It wasn’t an easy ride for me.

The more reason why you have to finish with good grade, if after doing all of those struggles and you still finish with 3rd class or pass, then it is a wasted effort. You won't tell me the stress you went through is just to have school experience. whatever worth doing at all, worth doing well. Many little things that we think it is nothing, saying one can make it is without certificate not to talk of bad grade, there is certainly a day to regret, just like in the case of the Op.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Engrr(m): 10:05pm On Mar 23
Jennyclay:
Thread for olodo rabatas!

Biko, Let me gently leave this thread for them

I have checked and saw the topics you are interested in (Romance). Eg. Elderly men are more romantic than young men. So I wonder what you know about class of degrees.......you better leave

3 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Okeoghenerobert: 10:10pm On Mar 23
You know no before say Dem no dey use third class look for job for Nigeria?Na wa for u o.Na we go tell you?You better carry Cutlass face farm work jeje my brother.No be 🤣 joke

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by abbey621(m): 10:13pm On Mar 23
shortgun:
You guys can say all you want to make you feel good but the truth remains that there's no reason a student should come out of the university with a third class degree if not for unseriousness. angry

I can think of 3 great reasons:

1. Terrible lecturers combined with overpopulation of students( Some girls are targeted by a specific lecturer, one or two carryovers and you're guaranteed never to graduate with a 2.1)
2. Health crisis (Sicke cell, chronic immuno disease etc.)
3. Extreme poverty requiring hustling just to be able to afford school fees(Orphans, those without parental care)

All in all, third class or whatever is still better than no degree and if an employer does not see that then the graduate must rise above the limitation by being creative. The situation in 9ja now, many people will become self employed, there's no difference between a first class graduate with NO JOB and a third class graudate with NO JOB, in fact the third class graduate will be less pressured!

3 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by sidonlook: 10:16pm On Mar 23
Sorry for the embarrassing experience.
You can complement it with a PGD and also take professional examination.
Please take this seriously because the next opportunity may come faster than you think.
Do not be discouraged but put in your best in every employment you have.
Sometimes third class, out of determination to succeed becomes very successful in life.

8 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by AfahaAbia(m): 10:19pm On Mar 23
ceevictor:
Based on my job experience over years, nobody looks at class of degree anymore and this thread does not have a make sense

Exactly!! Looks like a thread from 2009
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by VIKTO83(m): 10:21pm On Mar 23
I was reliably informed or will I say categorically that chief Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu made 3rd class or pass grade in his degree. He went into business with full force knowing that the society will favour those with better grades first.
Today d rest is history.
Have u asked urself why those with 2:2, 3rd class, pass tend to do better than those with so called best grades?
It's because a man with hood grades depend so much on his grades while the man with bad grades depends so much on his abilities. It's like saying an educated man and uneducated man. The educated man feels the world is at his beck and call while d uneducated man knows that it's him against d world.
So bro, draw strength fro. Iwuanyanwu and all others who made less grades but are successful today.
Peter obi is with a bad grade and also very demeaning course...but he's making moved to lead over people with best grades.
I'm super proud of u bro and don't let anyone make u feel less of urself not even apple or mango or orange.

7 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by javascript1901: 10:22pm On Mar 23
Kingsasian:
@Op, don't mind those mocking you. I graduated with the same class of degree but I can tell you for free that i am doing better than most of them with better degrees. Forget those conventional jobs and go into tech, virtual assistant lines. The moment I saw my results years ago I told myself I that I will never bother myself about working with it.

Are you in tech now?
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Nelllson: 10:30pm On Mar 23
Urgent1Million:

Even if you didn't mention that you graduated with a 3rd, a lot of us would've deciphered that from the grammar of this post.
This comment is not meant to offend. I am sincerely hoping that you'll benefit from my submission even though I'll be sounding brutal.
Verily verily I say unto you, even a 2-2 is fast becoming undesirable.
The only way you can break into the occupational firmament you desire is to do what the first class and 2-1 graduates do not do - package!!
But first, you need to learn how to speak and write impeccably.
Like I mentioned earlier, your grammar in this post is far below the backline of a graduate.
Your tenses are so muddled up that I could barely tell whether you are describing a past event or one that's about to happen.
Look at your opening sentence for instance. It's an Apple store and you still wrote that they deal exclusively on apple products. Is an apple store supposed to sell Samsung devices? Maybe cherries?
Then you screenshot the mail and send it to your friend and your friend cheers you up. Something he did before you posted. Really?
Though you have a job but the Apple store is willing to pay x2 .... Are they willing to pay x2 or they were willing to pay x2?
If you look at the bolded, you'll see that the tenses do not resonate with the story you are telling.
Trust me, if you submitted a cover letter for this job, it probably was the reason for your rejection.
una too dey Mumu for this country… Shey English na ur mama tongue? well you people aren’t expose.. abeg try visit develop countries like Finland 🇫🇮, france 🇫🇷, Russia 🇷🇺, Italy 🇮🇹 and Spain 🇪🇸.. I swear u go hate English.
U can’t get a good job if i can’t speak these countries language fluently.

5 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Originalsly: 10:31pm On Mar 23
Were you the only one turned down? How would you feel if you met the requirements but was not given the job? ... like many others? Always bear in mind that meeting the academic requirements doesn't guarantee you the job. One of the things employers look for is your ability to handle challenges. This was a challenge.... how well did you handle it? Life is full of challenges... learn to manage whatever comes your way ... don't let it knock you down... and out. Learn and move on.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Offpoint1: 10:32pm On Mar 23
Goodvibes8:
There’s a new Apple Store situated around ikeja, they strictly deals on Apple products only and they needed an accountant, the salary is quite good… so a good friend of mine sent me a link that I should apply for the job since I have Bsc in accounting, then I applied.

Yesterday I received an Email from the Apple Store stating that I wasn’t up to the criteria due to my class of degree. I felt disappointed but life goes on.

I just screenshot the mail and send it to my friend and he said he wasn’t aware that there was a specific class of degree ( minimum of 2:2) to apply for the job.
He cheers me up and told me better days ahead.

Though I’ve a job currently but the Apple Store is willing to pay x 2 of my current salary.
I won’t lie I felt so devastated.
See as you poorly censored the name, I can still read all the letters
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by saintruky(m): 10:35pm On Mar 23
Goodvibes8:

Bro i can relate... I do park my bike in my hostel block... Attending lectures during the day and bike riding at night... School securities were cooperative... God bless them...

Better days ahead bro....
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by donami(m): 10:40pm On Mar 23
Never permit the systems that grade you to limit you, learn for mastery, because when you become a master, the systems refrains itself from grading you.

Break the limits of the certificate and it will no longer be valuable to any employer but the value and skills you posses will matter the most.

When you first enter the job market, you certificate is the only yardstick, after you grow in skills and gain some experience, your skills become priority to any organization so they'll only ask for your CV, when you reach this level no one cares anymore about your class of degree. As you climb the ladder of skill and experience your CV and core skills become the yardstick.

So press harder for uncommon skills in your profession

4 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Max24: 10:42pm On Mar 23
Thread for Peter Obi.
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Babaibeji2020(m): 10:42pm On Mar 23
tonicyril:

See as u talk like ur mother grin
Exactly....🤣🤣🤣
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by bentenny(m): 10:44pm On Mar 23
So at this stage companies still rate prospective employees based on their grades instead of their ability!
Too bad!
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Ashawoman82: 10:47pm On Mar 23
jiz:
In the Nigeria, your class of grade is more important than your course of study. A first class graduate in Yoruba language will have upper hand than a third class in mechanical engineering
Oga it's a lie...

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by javascript1901: 10:54pm On Mar 23
jiz:
In the Nigeria, your class of grade is more important than your course of study. A first class graduate in Yoruba language will have upper hand than a third class in mechanical engineering

Hmm. Really?

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by buggatiboss(m): 10:57pm On Mar 23
Its not too late for you ,you can still get more certification and work experince that counter the third class you got ,experienced and certification are worth more that the class of degree you got

3 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Deicide: 10:58pm On Mar 23
Anything from 2.2 down means you just went to university to waste your time grin

3 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by GenFunction: 11:01pm On Mar 23
Ibechris2:
U are calling that wahala girl sweetheart.

U no well honestly.

Imagine o,girl wey bitter pass bitter leaf

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by GenFunction: 11:03pm On Mar 23
lexy2014:

what was he supposed to audit?
Lol,d guy don turn acct wey e go audit himsef
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by RisenObinna: 11:07pm On Mar 23
Goodvibes8:
In addition to all that you said, can someone who is good at English also judge the mail supposedly sent by those I presume have higher grades...
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by abba190: 11:15pm On Mar 23
use this hold body = mark zuckerberg and jeff bezos are all dropouts
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by BluntCrazeMan: 11:16pm On Mar 23
Goodvibes8:
There’s a new Apple Store situated around ikeja, they strictly deals on Apple products only and they needed an accountant, the salary is quite good… so a good friend of mine sent me a link that I should apply for the job since I have Bsc in accounting, then I applied.

Yesterday I received an Email from the Apple Store stating that I wasn’t up to the criteria due to my class of degree. I felt disappointed but life goes on.

I just screenshot the mail and send it to my friend and he said he wasn’t aware that there was a specific class of degree ( minimum of 2:2) to apply for the job.

Though I’ve a job currently but the Apple Store is willing to pay x 2 of my current salary.

They already provided the feedback.

Why coming again to tell you that they MAY not provide you with feedback about your application?

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by javascript1901: 11:37pm On Mar 23
Blitzking:
Isn't elumelu a 3rd class degree holder...under the table..Over-the-counter table..you need to take the table.
The names popping up left, right and center ehn... So Elumelu is also a third class degree holder

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by vikstandon(m): 11:39pm On Mar 23
Goodvibes8:

Bro, you can still pickup and do another degree, and get a better grade.
You can't keep using this low degree, or better still set up your own venture.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by muyico(m): 11:55pm On Mar 23
Jennyclay:
Thread for olodo rabatas!
Biko, Let me gently leave this thread for them
so u re yoruba?
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by MrsAminaBello(f): 11:58pm On Mar 23
Goodvibes8:

@ the bolded..
You nailed it
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by fijihems: 12:03am On Mar 24
In Nigeria everything is big deal. Even to lecture in the university, they expect applicants to have a doctorate degree. However, in the UK, it's common to have even people with first degree teaching in the universities, provided they have relevant work/field experience. Lecturers with doctorates are not so common as in Nigeria.

Nawaroooo, our over sabi don too much. We sabi pass the people wey sabi pass us.

We need a proper reassessment and reorientatation of our educational system, with greater emphasis on field/work experience instead of higher degrees.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Newyorkitis(m): 12:23am On Mar 24
Goodvibes8:

Brother I can imagine how you feel because it's the same thing everywhere.
Over here in the UK, imagine most of us applying for cleaning jobs and the recruitment department will reply with "Unfortunately we cannot proceed with your application because you fell short of the criteria we are looking for"

Cleaning Job ooo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Fidelity Bank Aptitude Test Format / I Just Got This Message From NYIF / Application For Recruitment Into The Nigerian Navy (nnbts 17 Batch)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.