Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree (75494 Views)

2016 And 2017 Graduates How Have You Been Coping? / Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe / Open Letter To Second Class And Third Class Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by tonicyril: 12:29am On Mar 24
Kenmatt:

Buh why the talk come dey pain you lyke this?

Abi you be Olodo?

Well, for the fact that I don't know the three Newton laws if motion does not mean I am olodo

I can only be one if I don't prepare a good landing for my offsprings..

Pray u don't be a failure to ur children even with ur professorship in Albert Einstein studies..

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by ogbonti: 1:09am On Mar 24
FutureFocus:
Your class of degree does not determine your success in life, be creative and push hard

Everyone I know who got a 3rd class are over achievers today., probably more than us who made First class or 2:1

Reason is because they feel they have to prove themselves and they work 10 times harder than anyone to make their point and in doing so, they over achieve than the rest … so instead of feeling bad, take it as a challenge- seek revenge by being successful- God bless you!

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Bornfool(m): 1:44am On Mar 24
Kingluqman:
Which next time again? grin grin grin

Check is moniker now grin grin grin
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Bornfool(m): 1:47am On Mar 24
AKINBOLADANTATA:
Third class and dropouts - are the richest people on earth. Many world billionaires dropped out of school.

So keep on trying and set your goal very high - you'll eventually succeed.

Olodo don drop quote!!! grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Sapasenator: 2:21am On Mar 24
That reminds of an interview I had in the internal control department of Zenith Bank about 2005.

I was asked why I had come out with a 2.2 in accounting since I already was a chartered accountant before my degree.

He said I was expected as a CA to have nothing less than a 2.1.
I told the interviewer it was a part-time degree and I was so busy at work I couldnt complete any test or assignment, basically, I didn't take the degree seriously as I had a very good job before finishing my degree.

I just smiled, stood up walked away from the interview.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by CockPit: 2:45am On Mar 24
Ibechris2:
U are calling that wahala girl sweetheart.

U no well honestly.

The girl that might be a secondary school drop out catching cruise on NL.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by CockPit: 2:46am On Mar 24
Sapasenator:
That reminds of an interview I had in the internal control department of Zenith Bank about 2005.

I was asked why I had graduated with a 2.2 in accounting since I already was a chartered accountant before my degree.

He said I was expected as a CA to have graduated with nothing less than a 2.1.
I told the interviewer it was a part-time degree and I was so busy at work I couldn't complete any test or assignment, basically, I didn't take the degree seriously as I had a very good job before finishing my degree.

I just smiled, stood up walked away from the yeye interview.
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Bolu004(m): 2:49am On Mar 24
Kindly apply for a PGD course at the Open University, it's less than 100k and runs for just a year. It'll upgrade your University grade and you can also go for your MSc afterwards.
Best regards.

3 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Kaiser20: 3:09am On Mar 24
With a third class, your best option is to join APC , follow the rules and grow to become a Director General

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by hakeem4(m): 3:14am On Mar 24
grin
Kaiser20:
With a third class, your best option is to join APC , follow the rules and grow to become a Director General
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by chuxjay(m): 3:26am On Mar 24
Goodvibes8:
There’s a new Apple Store situated around ikeja, they strictly deals on Apple products only and they needed an accountant, the salary is quite good… so a good friend of mine sent me a link that I should apply for the job since I have Bsc in accounting, then I applied.

Yesterday I received an Email from the Apple Store stating that I wasn’t up to the criteria due to my class of degree. I felt disappointed but life goes on.

I just screenshot the mail and send it to my friend and he said he wasn’t aware that there was a specific class of degree ( minimum of 2:2) to apply for the job.
He cheers me up and told me better days ahead.

Though I’ve a job currently but the Apple Store is willing to pay x 2 of my current salary.
I won’t lie I felt so devastated.

Keep grinding, I graduated with a third class too but I was able to work with major EPC (Oil servicing firms) in Nigeria. Just keep gathering experience and try and get certifications in your profession. Don't be discouraged.

3 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by ubimagos: 4:03am On Mar 24
Obidients spotted!
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Testiebobo(m): 4:42am On Mar 24
tonicyril:

See as u talk like ur mother grin
Jesus christ! Omo, see backlash
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Henix(m): 4:48am On Mar 24
Goodvibes8:
There’s a new Apple Store situated around ikeja, they strictly deals on Apple products only and they needed an accountant, the salary is quite good… so a good friend of mine sent me a link that I should apply for the job since I have Bsc in accounting, then I applied.

Yesterday I received an Email from the Apple Store stating that I wasn’t up to the criteria due to my class of degree. I felt disappointed but life goes on.

I just screenshot the mail and send it to my friend and he said he wasn’t aware that there was a specific class of degree ( minimum of 2:2) to apply for the job.

Though I’ve a job currently but the Apple Store is willing to pay x 2 of my current salary.

Pls where exactly is this Apple store located? I need to go get original Apple product from the store

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by bewla(m): 4:57am On Mar 24
Jennyclay:
Thread for olodo rabatas!

Biko, Let me gently leave this thread for them
thank God he was notified in time
But this not the end of life get up and move on
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by idolda: 5:00am On Mar 24
Goodvibes8:
Sweet heart Don’t judge the book by its cover.
Not everyone who graduated with a third class are dull or unserious when in school.
Life happens to anyone academically, financially, health wise, businesses and so on.
I went to a state university and I paid my tuition fees ALL by myself, I had little time to attend lectures and study my books being a commercial bike rider and laundry service provider just to pay my bills back then. It wasn’t an easy ride for me.
I don’t blame anybody, I take responsibility for my actions.
I still Thank God I’m not where I used to be.
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by VanuatuWycombe: 5:13am On Mar 24
Which other feedback does the recruiter need to give again?

You have told someone he wasn’t considered because he had a 3rd class; you are still saying you can’t provide feedback.

Poor HR’s (personnel) way of writing. Copycat

If the HR was general and didn’t disclose the reason for not shortlisting the candidate, that’s when wordings like:… we can’t give (individual) feedback…

Anyway, it’s just gadgets shop but not a proper company - only using Apple’s brand name.

3 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by pargelenis(m): 5:19am On Mar 24
Keep working hard, the class of the degree from the past does not define you forever.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by pargelenis(m): 5:20am On Mar 24
VanuatuWycombe:
..: Anyway, it’s just a gadgets shop. Not a proper company - only using Apple’s brand name.
Good point, Apple Inc would never communicate that way.
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Beatricebarbie: 5:32am On Mar 24
Jennyclay:

You are still not kpia'd. Hopefully it happens soonet
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by squad1: 5:44am On Mar 24
The OP (with his 3rd class) writes better than the person in charge of recruitment.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by paxonel(m): 5:56am On Mar 24
shortgun:
You guys can say all you want to make you feel good but the truth remains that there's no reason a student should come out of the university with a third class degree if not for unseriousness. angry
Well,if your case was such that you were given a course you never prepared for in the first place, in addition to that, you had little financial support in school, you will not say this.

I had a room mate in my final year back then in school. He applied for medicine in Jamb but he was given wildlife to study. He had decided to continue with the curse since he could not afford to re-write jamb.
As at the time we met, he had splilled over twice in final year. We all felt what the guy was going through and had encouraged him.
so when he finally graduated with a third class infact we were so happy for him that atleast he graduated.
Today, this guy is doing very well.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by LandMann: 5:59am On Mar 24
Goodvibes8:
Not everyone who graduated with a third class are dull or unserious when in school.
Life happens to anyone academically, financially, health wise, businesses and so on.
I went to a state university and I paid my tuition fees ALL by myself, I had little time to attend lectures and study my books being a commercial bike rider and laundry service provider just to pay my bills back then. It wasn’t an easy ride for me.

Your primary purpose of going to school is to go and study. It is not to go and work to fund your education cos it's not possible to do that much hustle/work to fund your education and living expenses and still do well academically since you're dividing your limited time between working and studying.

This is why developed countries make provision for education loans and grants and this is why many countries restrict the number of hours you can work in a week while studying.

It's unfortunate you did not learn this lesson quickly.

The primary purpose of going to school is to go and learn well and evidence of learning well is your class of degree. If you know that your financial situation will not allow you dedicate enough time to studying in a conventional university then quit or defer your admission and go learn a good handwork. In the end you'll be better skilled and you'll make more money.

If you had managed your limited time and money then to learn a skill by now you'd be very rich or at least you won't be applying for a job with a degree that shows you did not learn the concepts in that degree well.

Imagine if someone you know has a serious life threatening illness. If they present two doctors, one with pass or third class and another one with first class or second class upper, if you are in charge of selecting a doctor to treat the ill person, who will you select amongst the two persons?

Would you out of pity select the person with a not so good result? Do that and risk the life of the person who is ill.

Your choices in the past shows that you're more of a hands on person or commercial oriented person. Instead of focusing your time and limited resources chasing that dream you decided to include the extra burden of going to school which requires you to attend lectures, take tests and write term papers to show that you are learning and making progress.

Unless your intention is to bribe your way through your courses to get good grades it'd be very difficult for you to graduate with a good result cos you would be missing a lot of classes, tests and even papers/exams.

Even after graduating with the poor result, what have you done to upgrade the result and show competence? Have you taken maybe ICAN and done very well in ICAN to show that you're truly good at accounting profession and did you demonstrate it in your written application for the job or you're expecting someone to do you a favour by employing you without proof of adequate learning or qualifications thereby risking their business going down due to incompetence of the person they employed?

It's not a matter of pitying someone or mocking someone. I am telling you this so that you can educate someone around you making same mistake today.

Going to university is not the only way of being successful in life. Don't dedicate so much time working to meet up while in school because you're setting yourself up to fail. Quit school, hustle that money and use it to learn a skill then go back to open university and get a degree if you're so much interested in getting a degree for bragging rights.

If you already have a bad degree, either upgrade it by doing a professional course on same degree area or just keep the bad degree one side and face your handwork or business or hustle squarely. And make sure you get distinction in the professional course if you choose to do it. Don't follow the same approach of hustling and working full time and combining it with a professional course. You'll end up performing averagely at best, especially if your work or hustle is very demanding in terms or time and energy.

Shalom

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Urgent1Million: 6:14am On Mar 24
Nelllson:
una too dey Mumu for this country… Shey English na ur mama tongue? well you people aren’t expose.. abeg try visit develop countries like Finland 🇫🇮, france 🇫🇷, Russia 🇷🇺, Italy 🇮🇹 and Spain 🇪🇸.. I swear u go hate English.
U can’t get a good job if i can’t speak these countries language fluently.
It's exposed not expose as used in your sentence.
Besides, you clearly are the person who's not exposed here. You clearly agreed with me thinking you are countering me.
Like you mentioned, you can't work in any of those counties if you don't speak their (official) language.
English is Nigeria's official language and until that changes, speaking and writing well would continue to inform employers' hiring decisions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Myer(m): 6:15am On Mar 24
Goodvibes8:

It's good that you felt bad about it.
But it's better that you turn this to a challenge for yourself. 3rd class will always limit you in the employment/labour market.

There are options if you see disappointments as blessings in disguise;
1. Take your time to get professional certifications and become an expert in your choice field. For accounting, I'll suggest ICAN, ACCA, etc. Learn the requisite softwares too.
2. If you still have some age on your side, you can go back to school and study a course you're passionate about. You'll be motivated to succeed in any course you're passionate about, Intentionally build relationships too.
3. You can become self employed- go into business if you have the funds, or learn a skill set (online or apprehenticeship). Become an expert in what you do and with time, clients will be recommending you.

With God on your side, in a few years, so much can happen for the better. God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by AmuDimpka: 6:15am On Mar 24
You made a third class
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by AmuDimpka: 6:17am On Mar 24
Goodvibes8:

too much sense of entitlement...they have their preferences and not third class

Move on in life and don't come whining

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by AJSfan: 6:32am On Mar 24
Go for professional certifications. Its a competitive world out there, with your ICAN you can stand better chances and won't be looked down on in future

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by id4sho(m): 6:33am On Mar 24
Jennyclay:

Ubanki
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by Teymanhenry(f): 6:35am On Mar 24
advanceDNA:
I'm sorry oooo....But why will u go to college and graduate with a bad grade

........it's not a case of everybody cannot get good grade.... because there's actually enough room on the good grade level for everybody.....

This comment shows how ignorant or dull you truly are. School grades doesn't always define how brilliant someone is

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by b5ive(m): 6:35am On Mar 24
Even person wey no go school dey claim "enlightenment" shocked grin cool
advanceDNA:
I'm sorry oooo....But why will u go to college and graduate with a bad grade

........it's not a case of everybody cannot get good grade.... because there's actually enough room on the good grade level for everybody.....
Re: Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree by tivta(m): 6:59am On Mar 24
Goodvibes8:

Don't waste your time on the troll it is mentally incapable of understanding.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

I Just Got This Message From NYIF / Access Bank 10 Minutes Recruitment / Application For Recruitment Into The Nigerian Navy (nnbts 17 Batch)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.