Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,450 members, 7,819,663 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job (35236 Views)

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job / Top 10 "Menial Jobs" In Nigeria That Surprisingly Pay Well / Ordeals Of A Nigerian Job Seeker In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Roboto11: 2:48pm On Mar 25
79733139:
The menial job stage is temporary, eventually, Nigerian immigrants get some certification/qualification and transition to white collar or higher paying jobs/business.

Abeg talk wetin you know.

I know many that have been in menial jobs over 10 years.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Panda7(m): 2:49pm On Mar 25
Ciscogod:

Bros .. speak for yourself thou.

Amazon Dublin has taking some of my friends , Cisco Poland took some peeps too. Same as some companies in Saudi and USA

I believe you were talking about tech skills and not by college degree
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by sukkot: 2:49pm On Mar 25
MT:

You are a funny dude.

Come and see middle age dudes in IT working for banks earning between 1 million to 2 million naira in Nigeria.

Because you have not seen do not mean it does not exist.

Such people plenty for Victoria Island in Lagos.

yeah like I know a GM in etisalat who makes 5 million Naira a month
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Blitzking: 2:50pm On Mar 25
SeniorGee:
Nope, I earned my yearly salary in 2weeks. If you're not lazy, you will make it. Nothing like menial jobs, there is dignity of labour here. Its challenging but you can do it...
am sure you also spent you monthly Nigerian salary in a day. For you to earn your yearly salary in 2 weeks.
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by STYCNig(m): 2:50pm On Mar 25
No lucrative job in Nigeria except if your pay cheque is in dollar or euro.

1. Over there you can achieve $8k with double job 16hrs per 24hrs every month, ie. your N12M as at today!
2. Over there one month pay cheque can buy you a clean 10yr old car, but in your Nigeria 30yrs savings can't buy you a 20yr old car!
3. Over there you can determine to work and save $60k per annum ie your N90m, and you will @99% achieved it... but in your Nigeria at 5yrs you may not get a sustainable menial job at $20 ur N30k...
4. Over there, you don't need to bribe to get the menial job... but in your Nigeria even at bribing, you're not sure of it...
5. Over there, you lack money bcoz you are idle and lazy... but in your Nigeria, the hard working ones are in severe pains...
6. Over there you get justice from injustice, no bribe, no lobby... but in your country, justice is sold to the highest bidder...
7. Over there, the system isn't fighting against your prosperity, in your Nigeria, your system is fighting to make you poorer...
8. Over there, you pay Tax and enjoy social amenities from your tax, but in your country, your leaders enrich themselves with your taxes...
9. Should I tell you more?
10. Over there, getting menial jobs are not in prayer request, but in your Nigeria, menial jobs are subject of prayer and fasting!

The effort you had invested in your Country so far, if you had invested same in USD nation, you'd be far richer than your Excellencies and Distinguished citizens.
FOR NOW, SAY NO TO YOUR LUCRATIVE... !

Oyindamolah:
Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job

Share your experience with us with all sincerity and give advice ,who knows some people may just need it.
Have you ever left your lucrative Nigerian job be it in the banking, oil and gas, health sector for a menial job overseas & what do you feel about it right now.

We do know that is not that Rossy abroad as no country on earth is filled with milk and honey

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Originalsly: 2:51pm On Mar 25
Those who did are not likely to say. The ones who have regrets are most likely to be the ones without papers. Abroad there is dignity in labour ... something most of us cannot understand until we travel out. It is like taboo for a graduate to accept a job that an illiterate can do... that's our mentality... until we travel abroad. Having papers gives us the opportunity to do menial jobs or white collar jobs. Not having papers you are likely to be doing menial jobs..... but you wouldn't have the opportunity to apply for the higher paying menial jobs. In many such higher paying menial jobs one can earn way more than in a white collar job. Let's look at what most will consider one of the worse menial jobs .... garbage man aka sanitation worker. Let's compare him with a banker.... and compare the salaries. The banker's salary is fixed .... the garbage man has a base salary ..... but he gets overtime pay .... his hourly pay increases by 50% each hour he works overtime and they do so a lot. Who takes home more at the end of the day? It is the reason the garbage man is not ashamed of his job... he has dignity in his labour ... he is almost sure he is making more than you with your shirt and tie in the average white collar job. Now tell me why would such a man regret leaving his job in Nigeria to do menial job abroad? But bear in mind... he needs papers to get this job which is not at all easy to get.... the competition and requirements are too much. The guy without papers may also have a menial job .... garbage man... but he takes care of the garbage of a residential building.... he has to go through the tenants' garbage and separate plastic from thrash... etc.... and at the end of the day.... paid peanuts. He is likely to have regrets...a whole lot of regrets... would love to return ... if he can afford to ... and if he does.. he will be hailed as a failure ... so he remains drowning in regrets ... browsing Nairaland during the little time he has for himself .... seeing this topic ... reading comments... but will never share his story. I'm out.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by sukkot: 2:52pm On Mar 25
Panda7:

Please don't argue what you have no knowledge about except you are talking about your dad's pension
I know this guy GM etisalat, makes 5 million Naira a month. Lives in Victoria island

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by 79733139(m): 2:53pm On Mar 25
This was the kind of response that I was looking for. smiley The anti-japarians keep creating threads to discourage Nigerians from japa'ing.

Sapasenator:
Who does menial job when you can easily go back to school on loans and Grant's and land a bigger job.

Except you are an illegal immigrant.

No regret.

When I left my job on Nigeria, I was making about 350k per week in side business apart from my salary which I never touched.

One of my sister asked me repeatedly why I was leaving my good paying job.

I wanted to live a normal life. 24hour light, being well taken care of when I fall sick, no crazy traffics on road, drive my car on good roads and Nigeria was to populated and noisy for me.

Leaving Nigeria was the best decision I ever made on my life.

If I have to regret, nothing stops me from flying back into Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by 79733139(m): 2:54pm On Mar 25
Of course, you know many like that. Those kind of people are on your level.

Roboto11:

Abeg talk wetin you know.

I know many that have been in menial jobs over 10 years.

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Panda7(m): 2:55pm On Mar 25
sukkot:
I know this guy GM etisalat, makes 5 million Naira a month. Lives in Victoria island

That guy must have had a career job and doesn't necessarily earn 5m as basic salary
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by CountinBlessins(m): 2:55pm On Mar 25
NPFLADMIN:
Honestly, my dad knows a person in this situation.

He earns 1M as salary monthly and also has a side hustle which should be bringing him nothing less than 200k estimate. But the man still wants to leave 4 UK. And getting a job in the UK at the age of around 45+, isn't that almost impossible?

His wife is already there and she's doing care-job.

I still don't understand why he wants to move.

If I ever meet him with my dad before he leaves, I'll tell him "sir, you're making a big mistake!"

Well, he's still agile. I guess that's an advantage.

You are so naive 🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by HBB1(m): 2:58pm On Mar 25
Latakia:
Na for UK I see people that also want to japa to Canada. There is no place like Nigeria for me with my little experience for UK, France, Belgium, Germany and Austria.

I am actually tired of abroad.

I miss Naija everyday.

Money is not everything.

I just want to get some more skills and maybe come back.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by epainos: 2:59pm On Mar 25
NPFLADMIN:
Honestly, my dad knows a person in this situation.

He earns 1M as salary monthly and also has a side hustle which should be bringing him nothing less than 200k estimate. But the man still wants to leave 4 UK. And getting a job in the UK at the age of around 45+, isn't that almost impossible?

His wife is already there and she's doing care-job.

I still don't understand why he wants to move.

If I ever meet him with my dad before he leaves, I'll tell him "sir, you're making a big mistake!"

Well, he's still agile. I guess that's an advantage.
So 1m a month will give him secured health care. It will give him a good pension...right? Will secure his kids' future. Will pay his kids' tuition till university. The UK has free education till high school... and then the kids can work and pay their tuition themselves. There are plans. And that 1m will secure his freedom of movement and rubbish vida appointments. Right?

You don't understand how bad Naija is. Ok ooo.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Roboto11: 2:59pm On Mar 25
79733139:
Of course, you know many like that. Those kind of people are on your level.

Whatever makes you sleep well buddy.

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Judolisco(m): 3:00pm On Mar 25
Sirchiboy:
Bro please tell your dad to help me with federal job.
HND
lol... Bros him Don retire oh... Eno see any of us help sef we gats find our level
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by SeniorGee(m): 3:00pm On Mar 25
Gandrova:
pls can you share your success story?

Yea, Briefly..
Graduated as a geologist in 2008, served '09. Got a job as a site supervisor 2010 and started with 35K but was 50k when I left the company in 2018. Got a high prospect job with one of the oil servicing companies 2018 and I was elated. pay was good, in excess of 300k. Then Nigeria happened. After a few months we were replaced by guys from the north (the chairman of the company is from Kano, and he literally replaced us with his kinsmen). I felt betrayed, and I made up my mind to leave, at least to where hard work is rewarded. Migrated with my family 2022 to Canada, and God has been faithful. I am not there yet, but I have hope now, I have a clear path and direction, I can plan. There are obvious challenges, but I hang on to the positives. Currently running a post grad diploma. Miss home, food, social circles, but I need the money, comfort and security too. I cant complain. Grateful to God for his mercies in all.

Please and please, if you want to japa, have the proper documentation and follow the routes approved by the government, the system will take care of you.

My 2 cents

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Ebeano49(m): 3:00pm On Mar 25
It is difficult to tell.
I left Zenith Bank in 2004 for masters in the UK. Fast forward 20 years, I have been lucky in that I am working in Finance and relatively well paid.
I have most of the things I need in the UK and Nigeria. My kids are obviously dual nationals.

BUT, a close friend of mine who stayed back in Nigeria is a bank director today. He is well paid too and visits the UK quite often with his family. His family is more of a traditional Nigerian family than mine.

I'd take his success/situation over mine, but then he also says he'd take mine over his, especially the mobility my UK passport offers.

Long story short: It depends on what's more important to you. Do what suits your circumstance. The grass is not always greener on the other side. NEVER leave a well paying job/business in Nigeria for an uncertain future abroad though.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by SeniorGee(m): 3:02pm On Mar 25
Blitzking:
am sure you also spent you monthly Nigerian salary in a day. For you to earn your yearly salary in 2 weeks.

If I buy burgers and fries for my Kids one month salary don blow so..

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by sukkot: 3:04pm On Mar 25
Panda7:

That guy must have had a career job and doesn't necessarily earn 5m as basic salary
oh the 5m is basic. Well the guy used to live in America and he returned back home and got a job as the advertising and marketing manager at Guinness, salary 3million a month then from there he moved to etisalat as GM, 5 million a month. To be honest with you the guys juju is very strong because I know him and he does not look the part. Although he is a personable person.

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by ppogba: 3:05pm On Mar 25
Panda7:

Is it the same bank where I have families and relatives working there, but please maybe you judge by their lifestyle or they don't just reveal to you but even bank managers don't earn up to 200k every month unless by fraud

I have been following your childish comment since the first page of this thread and was wondering why people were still engaging you.
But, you see this one I am commenting on just put the icing on the cake.
You seem to be claiming what you are not.
Just take time to get out of your hole and get exposed.

Sorry o.

Bank Managers don't earn 200k?

Seun should change Nairaland to commedyland.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by 79733139(m): 3:05pm On Mar 25
Nice one! The anti-japarians on Nairaland are ALWAYS searching for regret stories and not success stories like yours.

SeniorGee:

Yea, Briefly..
Graduated as a geologist in 2008, served '09. Got a job as a site supervisor 2010 and started with 35K but was 50k when I left the company in 2018. Got a high prospect job with one of the oil servicing companies 2018 and I was elated. pay was good, in excess of 300k. Then Nigeria happened. After a few months we were replaced by guys from the north (the chairman of the company is from Kano, and he literally replaced us with his kinsmen). I felt betrayed, and I made up my mind to leave, at least to where hard work is rewarded. Migrated with my family 2022, and God has been faithful. I am not there yet, but I have hope now, I have a clear path and direction, I can plan. There are obvious challenges, but I hang on to the positives. Currently running a post grad diploma. Miss home, food, social circles, but I need the money, comfort and security too. I cant complain. Grateful to God for his mercies in all.

Please and please, if you want to japa, have the proper documentation and follow the routes approved by the government, the system will take care of you.

My 2 cents

3 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by headboyprince(m): 3:06pm On Mar 25
Angelfrost:

All it takes is one kidnap case, and one's entire life savings end in ransom payment.

See, money isn't the only or main motivation for people to Japa.

Many leave for better quality of life, change of environment, and better future for their kids.

The problem with many of you Anti-Japa activists is that y'all think money is everything!

Many people who left the country would never have left if security and healthcare didn't continue to deteriorate with the corrupt clowns you people keep electing.

That's why the people who suffer and complain the most after relocating are the same money-minded dolts who care for nothing but making money at all costs... That's why they get disappointed out there.

Most of you Nigerians worship money so much... It's just sad!

Same reason many of you complain bitterly about taxation in developed nations... Because, y'all will rather earn a lot, evade taxes, and show off or pepper your fellow citizens: The Nigerian Dream! SMH!!!
youve said it all. if there was no bills to pay, mouth to feed, house rent to pay, and all that, please who will still be working... abeg who doesnt pay bills in this world. if they want a place with no bills they should to the forest. there is free shelter, (trees), food (rats) and sunlight/moonlight. you see nothing good comes easy in this world. not even in nature... lol grin

5 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Anunakeeh: 3:06pm On Mar 25
delkuf:
you see the reason why he left. So that his will not go about the internet begging for money.

grin grin grin

Wereey peoples.
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by NPFLADMIN(m): 3:06pm On Mar 25
epainos:

So 1m a month will give him secured health care. It will give him a good pension...right? Will secure his kids' future. Will pay his kids' tuition till university. The UK has free education till high school... and then the kids can work and pay their tuition themselves. There are plans. And that 1m will secure his freedom of movement and rubbish vida appointments. Right?

You don't understand how bad Naija is. Ok ooo.

Well, I am a teenager. Still pretty naive. You can't blame me.

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by NPFLADMIN(m): 3:07pm On Mar 25
CountinBlessins:

You are so naive
I agree. Most teens like me are.

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Judolisco(m): 3:08pm On Mar 25
Panda7:

you can do well to post your dad's job let's help verify, is it not in the same nigeria where only police men earns steady salary monthly until retirement?
he worked as an engineer in PHCN for more than 30 yrs and it's sad u still can't believe his take home salary before retiring was close to 800k, my little bro is a unity software developer and he earns over 1 million naira, with jst 3 yrs experience.... Dey there they snooze oh

5 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Okeoghenerobert: 3:08pm On Mar 25
Pounds and naira na mate?
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Scholace: 3:09pm On Mar 25
afroxyz:

Are you spending the money in Naira? Better step up and do a better job
ok he told you he's doing bad job?
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by NPFLADMIN(m): 3:10pm On Mar 25
Christistruth02:

As long as he can legally secure Citizenship for his Children and Grandchildren it is an investment in their Future

They may return to Nigeria later but with dual Citizenship

Same happened in America over a Century ago

If you listen to Americans they will say their Grandfather came from UK Ireland Russia China Korea etc a Century ago and settled

Donald Trump's Grandfather came from Germany and Donald Trump's mother is Scottish

Hmmmm. Who knows. That could even be his reason.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by peterboro: 3:11pm On Mar 25
Panda7:

Even a politician don't earn up to a million monthly and that is not even with an employee job. So shove up your lies begger

Most Offshore workers. some also earn more than that and above.

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by rafcrown(m): 3:12pm On Mar 25
No regrets whatsoever.
10 years of legal work in any capacity you qualify for pension for life, promptly paid,in ££££ and more than the salary of a fresh graduate.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by abuhusna1: 3:12pm On Mar 25
Gadafii:
your dad does

Besides do you know anyone here that you are demanding them to send you 17k?
You are too wise

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Good Evening,thread For Npower Applicant That Are Yet To Receive SMS . / How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name / Graduate With A Distinction From UK Uni & You Offered With N50k Job In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.