Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job - Jobs/Vacancies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job (35203 Views)

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job / Top 10 "Menial Jobs" In Nigeria That Surprisingly Pay Well / Ordeals Of A Nigerian Job Seeker In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by MT: 6:07pm On Mar 25
immobilare:

You've misunderstood me, I wasn't making reference to what I was earning as a civil servant as a comparism to what professionals make, I was using it to reinforce the fact that things have gotten a lot worse in Nigeria over a short period of time. If I was still a civil servant in Nigeria even with career growth, I wouldn't have been able to purchase those tickets as comfortably as I did 10 years ago.

Secondly my reference to the NDIC statistic is to buttress the point that we are not as wealthy as we always claim in the net. Everyone is quoting that they know 1 person or the other earning a lot. Available statistics don't back up all the noise!

Apologies if I earlier misconstrued your submission.

However, at the bolded, you can't call it noise. People can talk based on their earnings. Someone making 1 million per month will have a different perspective of Nigeria compared to someone making 100k.

People can only talk based on their situation. It's not a noise, it's their narratives of their realities.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by standfit007: 6:08pm On Mar 25
I laughed hard at you! So because he is earning 1.2million, he shouldn’t leave for this evil leaders that have become unfortunate ba? You didn’t mention his line of profession bros. Did you know what 1million will do for you?in todays Naija, the devaluation. Can you compare sanity, clean air, facilities, and a lot of opportunities you will experience if you go in without the mentality of “I want to make it in life”?. We care too much about age in this country when it comes to taking responsibility for your wellbeing. Btw, his wife is even there

NPFLADMIN:
Honestly, my dad knows a person in this situation.

He earns 1M as salary monthly and also has a side hustle which should be bringing him nothing less than 200k estimate. But the man still wants to leave 4 UK. And getting a job in the UK at the age of around 45+, isn't that almost impossible?

His wife is already there and she's doing care-job.

I still don't understand why he wants to move.

If I ever meet him with my dad before he leaves, I'll tell him "sir, you're making a big mistake!"

Well, he's still agile. I guess that's an advantage.

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by standfit007: 6:09pm On Mar 25
laughed hard at you! So because he is earning 1.2million, he shouldn’t leave for this evil leaders that have become unfortunate ba? You didn’t mention his line of profession bros. Did you know what 1million will do for you?in todays Naija, the devaluation. Can you compare sanity, clean air, facilities, and a lot of opportunities you will experience if you go in without the mentality of “I want to make it in life”?. We care too much about age in this country when it comes to taking responsibility for your wellbeing. Btw, his wife is even there

NPFLADMIN:

He earns 1M as salary monthly and also has a side hustle which should be bringing him nothing less than 200k estimate. But the man still wants to leave 4 UK. And getting a job in the UK at the age of around 45+, isn't that almost impossible?

If I ever meet him with my dad before he leaves, I'll tell him "sir, you're making a big mistake!"

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by standfit007: 6:10pm On Mar 25
Epic! Hahahahahaha

The guy don’t know whata gwan! 1.2M per month is a big money for him in this devalued economy

delkuf:
you see the reason why he left. So that his will not go about the internet begging for money.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by standfit007: 6:13pm On Mar 25
May you be specially blessed! Not seen this mindset in recent times. Why will anyone japa and be thinking it is all about making money? Money will be made if you have skills and work hard as wel. But sanity and tested improved lifestyle cum expectancy is the Koko

Angelfrost:

All it takes is one kidnap case, and one's entire life savings end in ransom payment.

See, money isn't the only or main motivation for people to Japa.

Many leave for better quality of life, change of environment, and better future for their kids.

The problem with many of you Anti-Japa activists is that y'all think money is everything!

Many people who left the country would never have left if security and healthcare didn't continue to deteriorate with the corrupt clowns you people keep electing.

That's why the people who suffer and complain the most after relocating are the same money-minded dolts who care for nothing but making money at all costs... That's why they get disappointed out there.

Most of you Nigerians worship money so much... It's just sad!

Same reason many of you complain bitterly about taxation in developed nations... Because, y'all will rather earn a lot, evade taxes, and show off or pepper your fellow citizens: The Nigerian Dream! SMH!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Gandrova: 6:14pm On Mar 25
SeniorGee:

Yea, Briefly..
Graduated as a geologist in 2008, served '09. Got a job as a site supervisor 2010 and started with 35K but was 50k when I left the company in 2018. Got a high prospect job with one of the oil servicing companies 2018 and I was elated. pay was good, in excess of 300k. Then Nigeria happened. After a few months we were replaced by guys from the north (the chairman of the company is from Kano, and he literally replaced us with his kinsmen). I felt betrayed, and I made up my mind to leave, at least to where hard work is rewarded. Migrated with my family 2022 to Canada, and God has been faithful. I am not there yet, but I have hope now, I have a clear path and direction, I can plan. There are obvious challenges, but I hang on to the positives. Currently running a post grad diploma. Miss home, food, social circles, but I need the money, comfort and security too. I cant complain. Grateful to God for his mercies in all.

Please and please, if you want to japa, have the proper documentation and follow the routes approved by the government, the system will take care of you.

My 2 cents
Thanks for the wonderful advise and also sharing your success story.. May Almighty God grant your wishes.
I wish to travel out also.
I just finished a Diploma program in Caregiving and also trying to save for the other documents needed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Chidolalar: 6:15pm On Mar 25
SeniorGee:

Two weeks pay takes care of my bills, the other two is savings.

Pls what job are u doing over there and what country are u staying and what is d total money u spent to get there.
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by standfit007: 6:19pm On Mar 25
“Highly unlikely “ bro. You too much abeg. Mentality is worth emulating as an addition to my hate for substandard life and dealings here. Imagine one person praying not to have accident or praying for NEPA or not to be cornered by kidnappers. It is hellish and I do so don’t believe or know how we became this bad and no end in sight

RodgersAkpafu:
Do I regret leaving my corporate job to start over in the UK?

To be very honest with you
The answer is No
Not at all.

From what I have come to learn
Whether you will regret travelling abroad or not is contingent on WHY you left the country in the first place

If you left for the "wrong" reasons
You will regret everyday

I left the country primarily for non financial reasons
I was fed up with the culture of foolishness that permeates that country
The culture is wrong
The mentality is wrong
And I don't want to be in the midst of that
That's MY own reason

So regardless of my financial conditions here (thankfully I am not doing badly at all)
As long as the society remains the way it is
Then I am fine

The only thing that will make me regret leaving
Is if this country becomes a cultural cesspit like what I fled ; which is highly unlikely

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Ciscogod(m): 6:27pm On Mar 25
OvertheTop:

hello bro

what Skills do you have under your belt...
I want to learn.

i mean: do you code,? what languages,, Cisco certified?

kindly mention the skills....

I’ve upto 10yrs work experience . I’m a network and security Engr

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by standfit007: 6:32pm On Mar 25
Baba, things have caput! No one is coming to save us! No end in sight! Start preparing now. I was in your shoes 13years ago, now, never gonna look back. All the lights are now at the end of the tunnel o…wicked leaders and people are doing us shege now o. They moved the light away from the paths for us to be groping in the dark, not sure we will see that light in our lifetime, say in the next 50years o

I am very very unhappy with the level of lawlessness here

Jeezuzpick:

He's 45+, you say?

Well, he's still younger than me, and people older than me sef still dey jápa. I know a few.

One of them, my former boss, told me to sell my house and move to join him in the UK. Well, he sold his house (well, one of his HOUSES) to make the move.

Personally, I can't see myself selling my property. So I'm still here.

However, things can change.

I just pray it doesn't get to the point I'll decide to leave, because it will be bad indeed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by standfit007: 6:39pm On Mar 25
Not sure why you decided to go south after reading a clearly worded statements. I mean is lawlessness a good culture? celebrating a gov who built a thing with our tax money a good culture? Is “pepper them” mentality and behavior a good culture? Blocking public roads because of an event, a good culture? Not been accountable as an elected leader, a good culture? Been randomly picked by police as an accomplice or because you are just around a situation-ship and you must part with money unreceipted or go jail that the individual will “rotten”, a good culture? Been scared to report a bad behavior or even assist a victim of road accident so that no one tags you as the cause, a good culture? Is praying for safe roads trip a good culture? The loud noise by people at worships places, a good culture? Is producing food and other items with full knowledge that they are substandard and could kill the consumers a good culture? Abetting and aiding evil people and leaders, a good culture? Arbitrariness with prices, policies, et el, a good culture? Carrying everything on one’s head all in the name of religion but to only discover that you were been f00lish when you have only spent a week in saner countries, a good culture? You need more reminders?as you are feigning knowledge of what we are going through here in this 9ja

Marjoribanks:
I see a lot of regret in this post! The Culture in Nigeria is wrong? What culture are you talking about?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by PointZerom: 6:42pm On Mar 25
NPFLADMIN:

But UK folks keep complaining about employers needing UK experience.

UK and US folks are the most stingy folks. They'll do everything to make you not to demand anything from them. They will even tell you that they're suffering just to discourage you from seeking help from them.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by obatreasure: 6:46pm On Mar 25
This abroad sef.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by NPFLADMIN(m): 6:46pm On Mar 25
PointZerom:

UK and US folks are the most stingy folks. They'll do everything to make you not to demand anything from them. They will even tell you that they're suffering just to discourage you from seeking help from them.

Ah! That's terrible.

Anyways, what's with your signature? Contact you for trouble?
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by AirBay: 6:53pm On Mar 25
I left at 27 and never had a lucrative job... maybe if Naija had provided us with something reasonable, we would have been able to do a straightforward comparison.

Meanwhile Naira to dollar was #330 when I left ..now na x5

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Respect55(m): 7:03pm On Mar 25
I'm a med lab scientist. Working in a good hospital at Imo. Was also setting up my own lab. I left all and headed for UK. I did cleaning for 2 months then I moved into company work. Did that for 3 months. I now work in a lab here and all is fine.

The problem is that people don't want to do menial jobs upon arrival here so they suffer.
Some also don't have any skill or experience.
You don't come to UK to start from nothing like that.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Zwooks: 7:03pm On Mar 25
AirBay:
I left at 27 and never had a lucrative job... maybe if Naija had provided us with something reasonable, we would have been able to do a straightforward comparison.

Meanwhile Naira to dollar was #330 when I left ..now na x5

What country are you in ?

What year did you leave ?
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Samcent: 7:05pm On Mar 25
grandstar:

There are many Nigerians earning over 1m a month. It's no big deal.

I don't know about 'many Nigerians', but indeed, there people in this country earning well above 1m. And I'm not talking about politicians.

Na make God pick our call, be our prayer!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by dreamworld: 7:06pm On Mar 25
NPFLADMIN:

i thought you r going to tell us his regrets
you r here crying more than the bereaved
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Zwooks: 7:16pm On Mar 25
immobilare:
Everybody dey form big man for Internet! I earn this! I earn that! But 99.4% of bank accounts in Nigeria have less than 500k in them. No be me talk am o, na NDIC! If you have the opportunity, make una commot from Nigeria. Exactly 10years ago, my wife was schooling in the UK and I was a civil servant earning about 150k oer month. I comfortably paid her flight ticket to come for holiday and intro then , it cost about 150k naira. 10 years down the line, the cheapest ticket is over 1.2m and the salary increase is not commensurate despite advancement in career. Imagine what it would be like in another 10 years, and Nigeria don't seem to be getting better.

Make una dey dey strategic in una thinking!

I agree with the statustics from NDIC. Nigerians are suffering.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by tnerro1(m): 7:18pm On Mar 25
You dey this country, you no make am. You come go abroad, u no still make am. My guy rest, u were not destined to make it

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Zwooks: 7:19pm On Mar 25
YoshihideSuga:

All this grammar DOESN'T negate the fact that there are people who earn 1m+ naira working in Nigeria. That's an undeniable fact.

I have hardly earned less than 1M in eight years. People wey dey work dey work o.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Blackfinegirl(f): 7:27pm On Mar 25
oxiide22:
your lie is legendary

Poverty has limited your thinking capacity

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by iamkim7: 7:34pm On Mar 25
Alot of us just argue from our perspective and remain there.
But a balanced view won't hurt. There are people who Japa and do so good that we should encourage everyone who cares to hear to Japa too.
And there are some who Japa and become more miserable and meet a misery that you won't pray for your enemies. These are those that end up living in tents and shacks in those lands,some under bridges barely scraping an existence.
And on another end of the spectrum is those who japaed to the wrong place like Vietnam,Libya or Bangladesh etc some end up in human traffickers nets,forced prostitution or even illegal organ harvesting.
If Japa is what you want to do,please do it right.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Munamu: 7:35pm On Mar 25
delkuf:
you see the reason why he left. So that his will not go about the internet begging for money.

Finishing!
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Chidolalar: 7:42pm On Mar 25
Blackfinegirl:

Stop being ignorant, I work in a multinational bank (Head Office) and earn well above 1m monthly, then you can just imagine what the big guys in higher level earn (DM and above). Except you only associate with contract staff who earn really low. My husband works in tech and earn 7000 USD monthly, you need to associate with young people doing well in their career. I even have a friend who works in oil and gas and earns 70 000 USD yearly as bonus, excluding his salary. The day i saw his bank statement when I was helping him in his visa application, I was surprised. We are all in our early 30's.

Hello dear pls can u connect me in any well paid job. Even if it's a contract staff job. I will highly appreciate if u can.

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by NairaMaster1(m): 7:44pm On Mar 25
FinidiGeorge:
So if dem regret, dem go come tell una for here àbí? 🙄

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by NairaMaster1(m): 7:48pm On Mar 25
SeniorGee:
Nope, I earned my yearly salary in 2weeks. If you're not lazy, you will make it. Nothing like menial jobs, there is dignity of labour here. Its challenging but you can do it...

Subtract tax and cost of living. Then the cost of earning that money
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by NairaMaster1(m): 7:50pm On Mar 25
Panda7:

Even a politician don't earn up to a million monthly and that is not even with an employee job. So shove up your lies begger

I guess you're a jambite. There are so many people that earn above a million salary in Nigeria. So many

5 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by NairaMaster1(m): 7:52pm On Mar 25
Kevineleven:

The man wants to earn more and he will, age is just a number, unless he is sick.
If you like settle for less, na you Sabi.

You mean the people abroad earn than everyone in Nigeria? I guess you guys are not exposed. There are so many people that earn above 1M in salary in Nigeria
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by NairaMaster1(m): 7:56pm On Mar 25
humilitypays:
This is an interesting topic that deserves wide exposure to get real life opinions of different Nigerians based on their real life experiences and to enlighten those planning to make a move, but the issue is, Nigerians are not honest people when it comes to issues like this. Even if they are suffering and regretting, they will never tell, they will not even share their regrets with their closest friends and relatives talk more of sharing it with strangers.

They can only share such regrets with someone far better than them whom they strongly believe would assist them, if not forget it.

But from my own experience, I would advice Nigerians earning good income in Nigeria not to abandon it outrightly to Japa with study route to countries like; UK or Canada. If you get a job offer with sponsorship you can go but do not abandon your lucrative job in Nigeria for a study route to UK or Canada right now.

UK is filled already, the only available jobs for those that are not in healthcare and not top IT experts is care job, security job and all those odd jobs that will hardly earn you 2,000 pounds a month. If you convert 2000 pounds to Naira it will look big and juicy, but remember you are not going to be spending the money in Naira? By the time you deduct tax, deduct bills like gas, electricity, car insurance if you have one, feeding and rent, you will definitely need another odd job to meet up with your bill, which means you will be working almost round the clock just to pay bills to remain in the UK.

Canada is not much different, just slightly better than UK but the extreme weather condition in some provinces will make you regret ever moving to Canada.

The best route to Japa to UK or Canada now is work visa if you are working and earning well in Nigeria, but if you are struggling or in an uncertain job in Nigeria with no future or job security, you can Japa even with study route because the future of Nigeria looks scary with the crop of people in charge of federal government of Nigeria now.

Thank you so much. They won't spend what they earn in Naira. That's where they are getting it wrong

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Probz(m): 7:57pm On Mar 25
mekleelex200:
Hmm, who is foolish enough to regret it while it can pay your bills both home and abroad. The lucrative job in Nigeria is a sham, it can not pay bill.
Is sad how Nigeria leaders have made Nigerians celebrate visa of taking them abroad to slave away.
But is how we find ourselves because sick dog is better than dead lion.

At least Nigeria doesn’t do taxes (like, not really). That’s one perk.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Nigerian Navy Recruitment Application For 2017 Now Open - How To Apply / Good Evening,thread For Npower Applicant That Are Yet To Receive SMS . / How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.