Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,157 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy (40366 Views)

Top Ten Popular Igbo Soups / Who Is The King Of All Nigerian Soups? (Pictures) / 5 IGBO Soups You Should Try (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Basic123: 7:39pm On Apr 01
Tdotbluejays1:

Yes it is.

Check out ancient Igbo vs Yoruba dictionary below.

Igbos ehn!

Chai....they will just made up something within their head.see how they are claiming egusi is Igbo because it sounds like "EGWU" .

No evidence oooo,they just concluded

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by seunayantokun(m): 7:40pm On Apr 01
Ofodirinwa:

which one is egunsi hahahahahaha
That might be coming from some Yoruba dialects, I suspect.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Aragon001: 7:40pm On Apr 01
seunayantokun:
Egusi is a choice for many ethnicities in West Africa. It is not only the Igbo that have it. Melon is grown and used a soup condiment all over our subregion.
Exactly πŸ’―% what I said earlier. It is not igbo soup oh. Let forget about calling it egusi soup and use the appropriate name which is melon seed soup as it should be called to avoid all these unnecessary arguments.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Basic123: 7:41pm On Apr 01
Exedyne:
I don't fancy igbo food

Especially because of that weird smelling thing called ogiri

I tell you
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 7:41pm On Apr 01
Ofodirinwa:

which one is egunsi hahahahahaha

THEM COMMOT W ADD N TELL US IT IS NOT IGBO WORD. grin grin
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Mosh1: 7:41pm On Apr 01
Mandate1:
even Yoruba restaurants don't sell Egusi. The first soup any Igbo restaurant will offer you is Egusi, that alone should tell you whr the ancestral home of the soup is from. Wat is known to the Yorubas is ewedu, gbegiri. Pls lay claim to them.
Igbo like Ponmo too. In the nearest future, you will also claim that.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by ForValour: 7:42pm On Apr 01
Tribalism is the main problem of Nigeria
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Basic123: 7:42pm On Apr 01
waternogetememy:

YOU DON GO CHANGE AM FOR WIKIPEDIA NOW?

YORUBA IS THE BOTTOM IN NIGERIA WHEN IT COMES TO SOUP.

OIL IS USUALLY TOO MUCH.

EGWUSI IS DEFINATELY NOT A YORUBA WORD.

IGBO FOOD THAT ALWAYS LOOK LIKE FAECES grin

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 7:44pm On Apr 01
Mosh1:

Igbo like Ponmo too. In the nearest future, you will also claim that.

PONMO IS COW SKIN, GO AND CLAIM IT FROM FULANI, THAT SELL IT TO YOU.

I LIKE YOUR COMPETITIVE SPIRIT.

BUT YOU ARE RUNNING FROM PILLAR TO POST HERE.

EGWUSI/EGUSI IS IGBO IN ORIGIN.

WE WILL SOON TELL YOU WHAT IT MEANS.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Alexis11: 7:44pm On Apr 01
Tdotbluejays1:

Egunsi is a Yoruba word.

This screenshot should settle it. cool

Funny enough the same Igbos that said "egusi" was borrowed from Yoruba in that screenshot (in 2021) are the ones claiming to own the word in 2024. πŸ˜‚

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Prigidypogodo(f): 7:45pm On Apr 01
ThatFairGuy1:
Eeyah.

Worry no more, marry my friend Prigidypogodo, she's light in complexion and get ukwu cheesy

πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„
Hahahahahaha baby boo you no well I swear πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Basic123: 7:45pm On Apr 01
sokera:
Igbo egusi weh Dey white like New born baby πŸ’©β€¦ you need to see Egusi Ijebu.. God bless Yoruba land

Their soups generally look like FAECES with notorious characteristic smell of ogiri .

Funny enough,dem still dey feal themselves as if other people actually rate them

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 7:45pm On Apr 01
What is egusi called in Igbo?
Egusi soup originally known in Igbo as Egwusi Soup is a popular IGBO dish in West Africa, particularly in Nigeria, Ghana, and some other countries in the region. It's made from ground melon seeds (Egwusi), which give the soup its unique taste and texture.13 Dec 2022

JUST TYPE MELON SOUP, IGBO WILL COME UP.

ARE WE THE ONLY PEOPLE IN AFRICA?

EVEN GOOGLE KNOWS.

https://www.google.com/search?q=MELON+IN+IGBO&rlz=1C1RXMK_enGB1056GB1056&oq=MELON+IN+IGBO&aqs=chrome..69i57.4825j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Mosh1: 7:46pm On Apr 01
waternogetememy:

Pls consult Igbo dictionary to know what your people called Egusi. Is that hard for you to do again?

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by thatigboman: 7:46pm On Apr 01
Makunahatata:
Egusi no b Igbo soup..den dey eat egusi for Ghana, Cameroon, Sierra Leone e.t.c .

Ghanians call it akatewa stew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kM7brgG-ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnEYGLPi8Lk
the Cameroon own looks similar to Nigeria egusi soup, the ghanaian own is a stew, not soup

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Basic123: 7:46pm On Apr 01
waternogetememy:

IT IS ACTUALLY EGWUSI AND PRONOUNCED EGUSI.

IT IS NOT A YORUBA WORD.

YOU HAVE NOTHING THAT COMES CLOSE TO THAT IN TERMS OF SOUP.

AFTER EGWUSI SEED, U WILL SEE UZIZA SEED, OGBONO SEED AND MORE. ALL IGBO SOUPS.

YOU ARE TOO IGNORANT!

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Gboom: 7:47pm On Apr 01
Egusi is a Yoruba word for melon seed and it has varieties too, like this is one I know that is common among Ijebus called "serewe" tiny specie of melon.
If igbo word for melon is elili, how can igbo now call egusi soup their own.
The bottom-line is all tribe can claim to cook egusi soup as long as they use melon

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 7:47pm On Apr 01
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Basic123: 7:48pm On Apr 01
Aragon001:
Egusi soup as the name goes is yoruba words for melon soup. In igbo is egwusi soup. In akwa ibom it is call ikon. Various ethnic groups in Nigeria have a name for it in their dialect.
Even outside Nigeria as mentioned here in nairaland, other tribes in certain countries have a name for it as well in their local dialect.
The appropriate name for it is melon seed soup. No tribe especially my ibo brethren have any right or claim over the soup origin. Since it is native to all tribes that have the plants growing in their lands.
The same right an ibo have over it is the same right a yoruba, edo, ibibio and other ethnicity in Nigeria have as well.
Let not be misinform pls and op always do ur research well before posting.
What can't people that jump Ondo ,ogun,edo to come and claim lagos not claim

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Prigidypogodo(f): 7:48pm On Apr 01
illicit:

The ibo corper I wan marry

Her mama no allow her marry Yoruba

😞
blame it to bitter politics.
I know a girl that her family nearly disowned because she attempted dating a yoruba sef.
me sef after seeing what you guys did to Gbadebo I won't wish my enemy to marry from Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Basic123: 7:49pm On Apr 01
Prigidypogodo:
I know a girl that her family nearly disowned because she attempted dating a yoruba sef.
me sef after seeing what you guys did to Gbadebo I won't wish my enemy to marry from Yoruba.

Yorubas don't marry fools

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Slytiger: 7:49pm On Apr 01
Basic123:

YOU ARE TOO IGNORANT!
with confidence πŸ˜‚
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 7:49pm On Apr 01
Basic123:

YOU ARE TOO IGNORANT!

IF YOU GO TO GOOGLE, THEY HAVE ALREADY ANSWERED YOUR YORUBA CLAIM THERE.

Is egusi Igbo or Yoruba?
Contrary to popular opinion, Egusi is not necessarily an original Yoruba soup, despite the distinctive style of cooking, since it is eaten by West Africans, from the Igbo tribe in Nigeria, all the way to Ghana, where it is called 'Agushie'.9 Jul 2020

A List Of Nigerian Foods With Disputable Origins - Eat.Drink.Lagos

https://www.google.com/search?q=MELON+IN+IGBO&rlz=1C1RXMK_enGB1056GB1056&oq=MELON+IN+IGBO&aqs=chrome..69i57.4825j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Aragon001: 7:49pm On Apr 01
All of u calling yoruba native dishes trash here are all ignoramuses. I have the privilege of growing up and living among yoruba, hausa, igbos, and I have eaten/ tasted the dishes of all the tribes i just mentions. Of these three tribes I find the yoruba dishes appealing. I have also eaten hausa food which are also nice, same with ibo dishes.
But the tribe with the ultimate dish varieties is the efiks of cross river state and ibibios of akwa ibom. Their dishes is the most demanded and eaten in Nigeria and u will hardly hear natives of these ethnic groups making noise unlike my ibo brethren here.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Slytiger: 7:50pm On Apr 01
Prigidypogodo:
But you like their dicks. LMAO.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Mosh1: 7:50pm On Apr 01
waternogetememy:

Fulani will never claim Ponmo with Yoruba because they only sell it and hardly eat it. Fulani that hardly eat meat sef. Yoruba owns Kolanut but Igbo eat it well. Can you say Kolanut too is indigenous to Igbo because they eat it a lot and use it traditional purpose?

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Omoawoke: 7:50pm On Apr 01
Obiedun:
Pure inferiority complex

What’s inferiority complex about this post.
Not everything is fight bro, let’s celebrate one another once a while

But op no try oo, Egusi is a Yoruba word, how e come turn Igbo soup

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Basic123: 7:50pm On Apr 01
waternogetememy:

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND, NOT YOUR WATERY EMOTION.

Google grin

You didn't see Igbo dictionary posted there?

Egusi is a very general stew no tribe can lay claim to it.That is the fact.

Claim your faeces-looking oha in peace

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Slytiger: 7:51pm On Apr 01
Aragon001:
Egusi soup as the name goes is yoruba words for melon soup. In igbo is egwusi soup. In akwa ibom it is call ikon. Various ethnic groups in Nigeria have a name for it in their dialect.
Even outside Nigeria as mentioned here in nairaland, other tribes in certain countries have a name for it as well in their local dialect.
The appropriate name for it is melon seed soup. No tribe especially my ibo brethren have any right or claim over the soup origin. Since it is native to all tribes that have the plants growing in their lands.
The same right an ibo have over it is the same right a yoruba, edo, ibibio and other ethnicity in Nigeria have as well.
Let not be misinform pls and op always do ur research well before posting.
In Ibo, it's enini. Egwusi is a corruption of the Yoruba world Egunsi.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Coolboy009: 7:51pm On Apr 01
FOOTSOLDIER2:
People asking egusi na igbo soup, Shey the name "Egusi" sounds like Yoruba or Hausa to your ears ?

I'm from Kaduna state but you people will always jealous Igbos
oga u don't know what u are saying. Egusi is a Yoruba word, which describes the state of making the delicacy known as αΊΉΜ€gΓΊsΓ­, the proper meaning is "αΊΉ gun si" which describe the process of opening the shell of the Melon seed.
The original igbo word for melon seed is Elili(general) Ekeke (Enugu dialect).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by sylve11: 7:51pm On Apr 01
Makunahatata:
shut up...Ghana , Cameroon,Sierra Leone wey dey eat am dey jealous of u too? And why are u Igbos always pretending to be frm somewhere else after displaying your stupidity

Honestly, I don't understand. grin grin grin cool

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by leathalbeast: 7:53pm On Apr 01
Makunahatata:
oga u may have been to Asia, but most west African countries,na lie, mayb u just passed through them cos Ghanaians eat kontomire, okra ,egusi and so many others ..I don't know about your claim that dey only eat groundnut soupπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ does that make sense to u? A whole country one soup..
don't mind that guy, so wasting your time with him,it's obvious he is lying, he thinks only Nigerians use egusi for food.. in Ghana we call it agushi and some add it to kontomire for stew, others do agushi stew without the kontomire.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply)

How I Urgently Made a Combination of Crayfish Stew With Eggs. / How Do I Make My Cakes Last For Weeks / See The Food I Prepared In My Girlfriend's House.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.