Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,091 members, 7,814,795 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy (40258 Views)

Top Ten Popular Igbo Soups / Who Is The King Of All Nigerian Soups? (Pictures) / 5 IGBO Soups You Should Try (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by kenex4ever(m): 7:01pm On Apr 01
MrGerald:
It's actually known as egwushi in southern Igboland, but other Nigerians like you Yoruba due to similarly and unable to pronounce it well transliterated it egusi then claiming the originality
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Tdotbluejays1: 7:02pm On Apr 01
kenex4ever:
exactly.

It's Egwusi in Igbo land, some igbo people call it egwushi.

Yoruba guys pronounce it poorly by calling it egusi.

mcjohny:

I think the original name for egusi in Igbo language is elili or enini
To the best of my knowledge the word egusi is a borrowed language
Yes it is.

Check out ancient Igbo vs Yoruba dictionary below.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 7:02pm On Apr 01
haffaze777:
How is Egusi soup an Igbo soup? Moreover I don't eat ofe nsala or ofe ohala.

The word Egwusi or Egusi is your tribal language
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by SmartMen: 7:03pm On Apr 01
benebaby77:
Egushi soup is not Igbo soup...

I think South South owns White Soup Ofe Nsala

Ooops, you didn't include Ogbono. Almost everyone enjoys Ogbono soup

You are ignorant and that ignorance is borne out of your lack of travel and interactions with other Southerners.

Ofe Nsala is not the same as what you call South South Soup. The only white soup i know from Delta state is Egusi Soup without palm oil and that’s what they call white soup over there.

It’s only Akwa Ibom people that have something close to Nsala but they are not the same.

igbos own Egusi soup, you might not like to hear it.

As far as Nigeria is concerned, only Igbos and Akwa Ibom people have variety Soups and they are the ONLY ones who should be debating soups in Nigeria.

The rest of you should go manage what you have.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by AnambraPikinSel: 7:03pm On Apr 01
This people are thieves, why are they claiming Egusi?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by ggood: 7:03pm On Apr 01
MrGerald:
It's actually known as egwushi in southern Igboland, but other Nigerians like you Yoruba due to similarly and unable to pronounce it well transliterated it egusi then claiming the originality
Eqwusi is Igbo word

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Tdotbluejays1: 7:04pm On Apr 01
Donaldoni:

Wow!
Where do you guys get all these stuffs(info) from
They are all easily downloaded on archives dot org
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by okoroemeka(m): 7:04pm On Apr 01
Makunahatata:
Egusi no b Igbo soup..den dey eat egusi for Ghana, Cameroon, Sierra Leone e.t.c
it is actually a west African soup but I think the igbos pimped it to another level with assorted meats,dry fish,stock fish,etc

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by abc115: 7:04pm On Apr 01
kenex4ever:
exactly.

It's Egwusi in Igbo land, some igbo people call it egwushi.

Yoruba guys pronounce it poorly by calling it egusi.

Inferiority complex

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 7:05pm On Apr 01
I like the way they hate everything concerning Igbo but cannot stay in Nigeria without Igbo.

Just mention Igbo, they will crawl out of their hole to cry.

Hey, stop eating Egwusi or Egusi soup, if you dont like it being Igbo.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Jackbaur88: 7:05pm On Apr 01
I am from Plateau state, but my favourite soup is OHA soup. I can so prepare it ehhhh

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by descarado: 7:05pm On Apr 01
benebaby77:
Egushi soup is not Igbo soup...

I think South South owns White Soup Ofe Nsala

Ooops, you didn't include Ogbono. Almost everyone enjoys Ogbono soup
The ofe nsala we see is called fisherman soup. All people living around riverine area has their version of fisherman soup all around the world
Onitsha fisherman soup is what gave birth to the ofe nsala we eat now.
If you get married to an Onitsha man, the soup you prepare for them is their native soup which is ofe nsala with corn meal.
You go for any Onitsha festival, the main food of the day is ofe nsala.
Just needed to clarify that.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by ggood: 7:05pm On Apr 01
Putindbutt:
I thought oha belongs to akwa ibom, an awka ibom lady gave me many memorable experience.
Akwa Ibom called it Ibaba not Oha ,Egusi is Ibo name but Igbo don't own it
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Makunahatata: 7:05pm On Apr 01
MrGerald:
Lol, you're talking to a traveler, Ghana no sabi egwusi but groundnut soup, most West African countries, I've been to Asian countries too
oga u may have been to Asia, but most west African countries,na lie, mayb u just passed through them cos Ghanaians eat kontomire, okra ,egusi and so many others ..I don't know about your claim that dey only eat groundnut soup😂😂 does that make sense to u? A whole country one soup..
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Tdotbluejays1: 7:05pm On Apr 01
ggood:
Eqwusi is Igbo word
Igbos is borrowed the word and added it to their lexicon.

The Igbo Longman dictionary below says it is a loaned word from the Yor (Yoruba).

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Mandate1: 7:06pm On Apr 01
Mosh1:
Egusi, Igbo soup?
We like deceiving ourselves in this Country.
Must you claim everything?
People will start believing if we keep on quite about this.
Egusi is Yoruba, even your Igbo dictionary confirmed it.
Pls consult Igbo dictionary and check out for Igbo word for Egusi.
I come in peace.
even Yoruba restaurants don't sell Egusi. The first soup any Igbo restaurant will offer you is Egusi, that alone should tell you whr the ancestral home of the soup is from. Wat is known to the Yorubas is ewedu, gbegiri. Pls lay claim to them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by nigeriansamurai(m): 7:06pm On Apr 01
Premiumbuy:
Premium Be Unto You

Still don't understand why Igbo are trying to claim Egusi soup.
i know egusi soup today is prepared by almost every tribe today. But where did egusi soup originate from?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dijita: 7:06pm On Apr 01
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egusi

Egusi seeds are used in making Egusi soup; the soup is thickened with the seeds. Melothria sphaerocarpa from which egusi seeds are from grows throughout central to western Africa and are used by different ethnic groups in these regions to prepare the soup, and the origins of the soup are unknown and often disputed. [8] Egusi soup is a very popular soup in West Africa, with considerable local variations.[9] Besides the seeds, water, and oil, egusi soup typically contains leafy greens, other vegetables, seasonings, and meat.[10] Leafy greens typically used for egusi soup include Efo Tete, scentleaf, afang (wild spinach), bitterleaf, pumpkin leaf (ugu), celosia and spinach. Other commonly used vegetables include tomatoes, okra and bell peppers. Typical seasonings include chili peppers, onions, and locust beans. Also commonly used ingredients are beef, goat, fish, shrimp, or crayfish as sources of protein.

In Nigeria, egusi is common throughout the country, and the seeds are used in making stews and soups.[11]

In Ghana, egusi is also called akatoa or agushi, and is used for soup and stew,[12] most popularly in palaver sauce.[13]

In the late 1980s, the Government of Canada funded a project intended to develop a machine to help Cameroonians shell egusi seeds.[14] A machine has also been developed in Nigeria to shell egusi.[15]
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Panda7(m): 7:06pm On Apr 01
what about rice and beans, are they non Igbo food??

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Tdotbluejays1: 7:07pm On Apr 01
nigeriansamurai:
i know egusi soup today is prepared by almost every tribe today. But where did egusi soup originate from?
That would be hard to determine. Almost all African tribes eat it.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Putindbutt: 7:07pm On Apr 01
PureNigerDeltan:
no oh… that one is Igbo people their soup. Akwa Cross own is Afang, Edikaikong and atama
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Silentgroper(m): 7:07pm On Apr 01
If it's not Ogbomosho .. I can't be nothing...
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Exedyne: 7:07pm On Apr 01
I don't fancy igbo food

Especially because of that weird smelling thing called ogiri

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 7:07pm On Apr 01
Tomorrow now they will tell us, how is Ogbono Igbo.

Go and ask the person writing the article.

When it comes to soup, u cannot beat the Easterners.

From Igbo down to Calabar, they will keep you alive with good soup.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Tdotbluejays1: 7:08pm On Apr 01
Mandate1:
even Yoruba restaurants don't sell Egusi. The first soup any Igbo restaurant will offer you is Egusi, that alone should tell you whr the ancestral home of the soup is from. Wat is known to the Yorubas is ewedu, gbegiri. Pls lay claim to them.
Yoruba don't often cook Egunsi bland like the igbos do. Restaurant will sell Egunsi mixed with vegetables. It's only Ijebu people that cook bland in the SW. Egunsi is Obatala's favourite food, and Obatala is as ancient as the Yorubas come.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by ggood: 7:08pm On Apr 01
Maximiliannnn:

Your tribalism is A1
Eguisi is Igbo soup like wise as Amala na Yoruba food. Said the truth once and shame the devil. Am from Ekiti
South South eat Egusi too its Called different name
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Makunahatata: 7:08pm On Apr 01
Mandate1:
Yoruba restaurants don't sell egusi?? Are u people foolish or high on something 😂

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by mamajaz(f): 7:08pm On Apr 01
I love oha soup
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by ahaz: 7:08pm On Apr 01
Obiedun:
Pure inferiority complex
Oga well sell sniper at a very cheap rate, you can buy one and get one free for your entire household.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by ManDemMaCall(m): 7:09pm On Apr 01
EreluRoz:
If I cook egusi soup for you, you'll lick and cut your hand join

Saka Manjay grin

We know your type, shocked na only mouth una Sabi make even to cook common noodles na war for una grin
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by ggood: 7:10pm On Apr 01
Tdotbluejays1:

Igbos is borrowed the word and added it to their lexicon.

The Igbo Longman dictionary below says it is a loaned word from the Yor (Yoruba).
ok but Igbo don't own Egusi every tribe eat it and it has different name depends on the tribes

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Mandate1: 7:10pm On Apr 01
Makunahatata:
Yoruba restaurants don't sell egusi?? Are u people foolish or high on something 😂
it's neva their standout menu. It's ewedu first before egusi. Efo and ewedu are your main soups.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Hardship: 5 Cheap Soups You Can Cook With N1000 In Nigeria / See This Fire Wood Cooking Stove Invented By A Nigerian / Pictures From Amala Hangout In Enugu State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.