Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,027 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy - Food (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy (40178 Views)

Top Ten Popular Igbo Soups / Who Is The King Of All Nigerian Soups? (Pictures) / 5 IGBO Soups You Should Try (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 10:42pm On Apr 01
vannessa7:

I have been to your land and one open secret is that your land does not support good food cultivation, that's why you pick all sorts of brick a brick to make your over hyped soups, and you will be looking for thickener.it is due to the advent of transportation and civilization that you now have access to other things like meat and pepper to support your food,

Your red mud soil does not support arable and livestock farming and thats why your ancestors eat human flesh and some even still eat it up till now. Yam looking skinny like disease, you couldn't feed your people during the civil war because you can't grow your own food, you are just Marauders going everywhere claiming what is not yours, we know better.

SEE SOME OLD THREAD AND EDUCATE YOURSELF.

https://www.nairaland.com/3413757/meet-igbo-man-biggest-farm
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by vannessa7(f): 10:44pm On Apr 01
Couldntfigurean:
Coming from a people that consume red oil like red wine
I bet it’s too much of red oil that killed mohbad who is not even up to 30 years
I wonder why anybody will make one small pot of ewedu i with one bottle of red oil and think he is enjoying
Delusion is Yoruba

What about your garri filled with red oil, unfermented garri which remove iodine from the body causing iodine deficiency, we get vitamin A from palm oil, meanwhile you actually consumer palm kernel as soups, at least we use tomatoes and peppers with the red oil, celebrating nonsense. Loud over nothing

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 10:44pm On Apr 01
U TALK ABOUT BENUE BUT FORGET IT IS NEXT TO ENUGU.

SAME SOIL WITH THE EAST.

IGBO LAND IS SUPER FERTILE.

BENUE AS A MATTER OF FACT IS NOT NORTH, THEY ARE ADDED AS NORTH ON GEOPOLITICAL MAP BUT REALLY THEY ARE SOUTH, JUST LIKE KWARA.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by BabaO2: 10:44pm On Apr 01
weak research.
Ibos are quick to claim anything they know very little about and also claim superiority on anything they participate in, otherwise, they play victim card.
How can one say egunsi soup originated from igbo

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Bulldozer90: 10:45pm On Apr 01
Konquest:

It's obvious that you are beginning to engage in some kind of TROLLING here and NOT paying attention to little details and I will have to END any form of conversation with you here and now.

But desist from saying that only Gbegiri and Ewedu are the two most popular Yoruba soups when there are others. Eastern parts of Yorubaland such as Ekiti, Ijesa, Ondo, etc, don't eat Gbegiri and Ewedu when in their native locality because they have their own regional foods and soups.

The Oyos created Ewedu and Gbegiri soups as regional soups and I clearly stated that over 20 types of soups exist in all regions of Yorubaland from Nigeria to Benin Republic and Togo. Where is the lie there?

You are busy twisting the entire Yoruba culinary history upside down to suit your idea of an Ibo supremacy over some common soups that even the Efiks and Ibibios here on NL threads said years back belonged to them and the Ibos copied those soups. This is the reason why the style of dressing, foods and soups that the Efiks and Ibibios eat are also eaten by the Ohafias, Aros, and other so-called Cross River Ibo clans. Nothing bad in that.

you have not said anything different. Ewedu and Gbegiri are the two Yoruba soups known outside Yorubaland.

You're the one trolling.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by DeepThroater: 10:46pm On Apr 01
Gustavowhite:
Painment
Nobody is dragging amala and gbegiri with y’all
Nobody like that shit,so don’t drag what’s not yours

Your lies have been busted.

You do not cultivate nor own Egusi soup.

Go and thank Igala and Tiv people for introducing you to real food .

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Gangster1ms: 10:46pm On Apr 01
vannessa7:

We don't need it, God forbid, who needs wrinkles and premature aging, shior
But u eat egusi.
Abeg comot here
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Gustavowhite(m): 10:51pm On Apr 01
DeepThroater:

Your lies have been busted.

You do not cultivate nor own Egusi soup.

Go and thank Igala and Tiv people for introducing you to real food .
yoruba people can never fight Igbo with their full chests
Always calling others,soon you will mention ewe or Ashanti people of Ghana to come help you fight your battle
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by seunayantokun(m): 10:52pm On Apr 01
waternogetememy:

YES, BUT WE WILL NEVER DRAG OR CLAIM EWEDU, EFO, GBEGIRI OR AMALA WITH YORUBA.

IT IS SOLELY YOURS AND ONLY.

FEEL FREE TO EAT WHATEVA YOU LIKE EVEN OHA SOUP.

COME AND TELL US, OHA IS NOT IGBO.

NA U KNOW, WE ACTUALLY DONT CARE.
My brother, I won't drag what solely belongs to you. Oha, afan, etc that are yours are not bad at all, and I must confess to you that I have enjoyed them many times before now. Do you care about that?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by vannessa7(f): 10:54pm On Apr 01
Gangster1ms:

But u eat egusi.
Abeg comot here

Egusi grows well in Yoruba land and we like to grind it with fresh tomatoes and peppers in a liquid form not with one powdered pepper devoid of nutrients which means you are basically consuming only egusi which too much of it have adverse effects on the body, always google what you put in your mouth, go and google the ewedu you lots hate so much and tomatoes, anybody who don't eat tomatoes is dead just waiting to be buried, google and I are your friends for bringing you to this awareness.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 10:54pm On Apr 01
seunayantokun:

Let me also add that even what they call ogbono is not only an Igbo thing, but, my opinion is it has only been popularised by them: they don't solely own it. It is called àpọ̀n in Yoruba. My guardians who never lived outside our villages in Osun State used to prepare it once a while and fed me and other children with it. Àpọ̀n is derived from òro fruit. There are varieties of òro and we were taught how to identify the ones whose seeds are best for our àpọ̀n soup. Have you ever heard a Yoruba saying that goes thus: 'ẹ jáwọ́ ni àpọ̀n tí kò yọ̀, ẹ lọ gbé omi ilá kaná'? Because drawing àpọ̀n shows good quality. Someone can even insult you if your face is squeezed and stern this way: ' A bí ojú dídì bí í ọbẹ̀ àpọ̀n'.
We prepared it in our own way and would certainly add egusi to it. There is no kind of swallow it would not make a fantastic experience.
MAKE UNA WATCH THIS YORUBA WELL.

HE HAS SHIFT TO OGBONO.

TOMORROW HE WILL SAY OGBONO IS YORUBA WORD.

I DON LAUGH FALL FOR HERE.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 10:56pm On Apr 01
seunayantokun:

My brother, I won't drag what solely belongs to you. Oha, afan, etc that are yours are not bad at all, and I must confess to you that I have enjoyed them many times before now. Do you care about that?

NO! JUST PLAYING HERE.

Y SHOULD I CARE?

MAN MUST TO CHOP TO SURVIVE.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by vannessa7(f): 10:57pm On Apr 01
waternogetememy:

HE HAS SHIFT TO OGBONO.

Ogbono is Apon in Yoruba land, it grows well in the south west around Ondo, ekiti area, we eat it from time immemorial, I can even waybill it to you fresh from farm.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Konquest: 10:58pm On Apr 01
Bulldozer90:
you have not said anything different. Ewedu and Gbegiri are the two Yoruba soups known outside Yorubaland.
You should have stated CLEARLY stated that you were referring to popularity outside Yorubaland.

But even outside Yorubaland, the different types of Efo riro soups and Apon soup are very popular in Yoruba-styled restaurants or bukaterias.

So, you are incorrect to emphasize on only Gbegiri and Ewedu. I would agree with you on Gbegiri and Ewedu though, but add the different types of Efo riro soups and Apon soup (Apon is what is alternatively called Ogbono soup).
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 10:59pm On Apr 01
Gustavowhite:
Hahahaha

Green algae stew and tomatoe stew
I had a friend who used the same stew for rice,ewedu,gbegiri etc

The lie you tell yourself. Gbegiri for example is added to any greeny drawing soup such as ewedu or ila. No way it would be added to stew alone. I just burst your lies. Not surprised.. that's your typical trait.

Ewedu is life as you can see below. A Nutritious beautiful delicacy.

Meanwhile, Egusi is Yoruba, even as the name implies. In fact, Yoruba have several delicacy varieties of it.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Gangster1ms: 11:00pm On Apr 01
Dancebreaker:

My dear, they are o.

In Edo, the soup was not even called egusi by locals. My late grandma wouldn't have known what egusi meant.
It's called ogi soup in Edo. Or ikpogi (ogi seeds). It can be cooked with cotton wool leaves, scented leaves, bitter leaves, water leaf, pumpkin leaf, veg leaf, young cocoa tree (not cocoyam) leaves, etc. Can even be blended with freshly plucked oziza (black pepper) leaves depending on season and delicacy desired.

She had no idea what ugwu leaf meant. Edo call it umwenken leaf.

She did not know about ogbono. She knew it as ohere. We had ogbono/ohere trees that were like 70 years old in Edo back then. She used to dry and crack the ohere pods open.

She died in the 1970s.

When Igbo began opening restaurants, being highly migratory, and pidgin became more widespread in urban areas, you began hearing igbo names of various soups. Suddenly they say they all belong to igbo. Na wa o.
What do u mean by THEY ARE??
So edo owns nsala and oha too?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by seunayantokun(m): 11:02pm On Apr 01
waternogetememy:

HE HAS SHIFT TO OGBONO.

Please, my brother, don't wound yourself. Read what you quoted very well. You call it ogbono, but we call it àpọ̀n. It is local to us too and my explanation is sufficient on that. However, I would opine that the Igbo popularised it due to many factors. That's it.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 11:03pm On Apr 01
Trash and poison liked by only the primitive tribe.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 11:03pm On Apr 01
Dsimmer:

The lie you tell yourself. Gbegiri for example is added to any greeny drawing soup such as ewedu or ila. No way it would be added to stew. I just burst your lies. Not surprised.. that's your typical trait.

Ewedu is life as you can see below. A Nutritious beautiful delicacy.

Meanwhile, Egusi is Yoruba, even as the name implies. In fact, Yoruba have several delicacy varieties of it.

YOU KNOW YOUR SOUP.

YOU KNOW THE ONE THAT CAME FROM ELSEWHERE.

ALL WE WANT IS FOR YOU TO ACKNOWLEDGE IT. FINISH!

YOU CANNOT PLAGURISE SOMETHING IN BROAD DAY LIGHT EYES WIDE OPEN.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by seunayantokun(m): 11:04pm On Apr 01
vannessa7:

Ogbono is Apon in Yoruba land, it grows well in the south west around Ondo, ekiti area, we eat it from time immemorial, I can even waybill it to you fresh from farm.
That's it!
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 11:04pm On Apr 01
vannessa7:

SO, OGBONO SOUP IS ALSO YORUBA? grin grin
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 11:06pm On Apr 01
YET THE ONLY SOUP U PEOPLE KEEP POSTING HERE ASK YORUBA IS EWEDU AND GBEGIRI?

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 11:06pm On Apr 01
waternogetememy:

YOU KNOW YOUR SOUP.

YOU KNOW THE ONE THAT CAME FROM ELSEWHERE.

ALL WE WANT IS FOR YOU TO ACKNOWLEDGE IT. FINISH!

YOU CANNOT PLAGURISE SOMETHING IN BROAD DAY LIGHT EYES WIDE OPEN.

See wailing. Egusi is a Yoruba name. An Orunmila soup to be precise. Egusi is a Yoruba word and it's prepared in several delicious delicacy varieties by the Yoruba. Simple as ABC..

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 11:07pm On Apr 01
SORRY THIS IS THEIR PREFERED SUBMISSION.

WITH BUTTER OR CHICKEN IN THE MIDDLE.

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Seniormanfeyi06(m): 11:07pm On Apr 01
Even a goat knows that egusi is a Yoruba word

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Gangster1ms: 11:08pm On Apr 01
Basic123:

Yorubas don't marry fools
Of course, the ones that marry yorubas are fools
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by seunayantokun(m): 11:08pm On Apr 01
waternogetememy:

NO! JUST PLAYING HERE.

Y SHOULD I CARE?

MAN MUST TO CHOP TO SURVIVE.
That's life o
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Seniormanfeyi06(m): 11:13pm On Apr 01
The proof

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 11:19pm On Apr 01
seunayantokun:

Let me also add that even what they call ogbono is not only an Igbo thing, but, my opinion is it has only been popularised by them: they don't solely own it. It is called àpọ̀n in Yoruba. My guardians who never lived outside our villages in Osun State used to prepare it once a while and fed me and other children with it. Àpọ̀n is derived from òro fruit. There are varieties of òro and we were taught how to identify the ones whose seeds are best for our àpọ̀n soup. Have you ever heard a Yoruba saying that goes thus: 'ẹ jáwọ́ ni àpọ̀n tí kò yọ̀, ẹ lọ gbé omi ilá kaná'? Because drawing àpọ̀n shows good quality. Someone can even insult you if your face is squeezed and stern this way: ' A bí ojú dídì bí í ọbẹ̀ àpọ̀n'.
We prepared it in our own way and would certainly add egusi to it. There is no kind of swallow it would not make a fantastic experience.

Exactly. Yoruba have even got proverbs for it. Igbo couldn't pronounce Apon thus pronounced it as Ogbon which has no meaning in Igbo language.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 11:20pm On Apr 01
Dsimmer:

Exactly. Yoruba have even got proverbs for it. Igbo couldn't pronounce Apon thus pronounced it as Ogbon which has no meaning in Igbo language.

LOL CLOWN! grin grin grin grin grin

DONT WORRY, NO THIEF, WE DATCH OGBONO SOUP JOIN.

U STILL NO GO SABI COOK AM.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Emlproperties: 11:31pm On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:

It is Egwusi which is purely Igbo

Just like Ogbono ( meaning a place that is slimy )

Yoruba no Sabi cook abeg
That's not the meaning of Ogbono. Ogbo means when it boils and Ono means it's stays. Ofe Ogbono. The fruit is found in all parts of West Africa but the discovery of the seed for soup is purely Igbo. Ogbono just like Okra (Okwuru) is Igbo soup.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (22) (Reply)

Hardship: 5 Cheap Soups You Can Cook With N1000 In Nigeria / See This Fire Wood Cooking Stove Invented By A Nigerian / Pictures From Amala Hangout In Enugu State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.