Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,864 members, 7,813,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:30 PM

Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars (15728 Views)

My Parents And Other Relatives Are Making Me Go Crazy / Anambra Widow Sleeps Outside After She Was Thrown Out Of Her Home By Relatives / How Do I Stop My Relatives From Disturbing Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Bobloco: 11:38am On Apr 01
The era where people take in young relatives, raising them along with their children is gradually coming to an end.
The limited purchasing power of every Nigerian at the moment fuels that

It has reduced living standards and Nigerians are becoming conscious of how they spend their money.
As a result, Nigerians have been sourcing ways to cut the cost of feeding.

Economy and lifestyle discovered that one of such new ways is turning down the adoption or accommodation of close relatives or returning those who had been under their care.

Before now, Nigerians take turns assisting various family members, particularly those with low economic power.

But today, an average family of five can hardly fend for themselves, let alone, adding a relative. Therefore, an additional member to them is like committing suicide.

Mrs. Amanda Odudu, a fashion designer, complained bitterly about how her niece had returned her daughter, who had stayed with them for six years.

Last month, my niece called, saying that my daughter, who had stayed with them for six years, would be returning home.
“I thought she was joking, not until I saw her at my doorstep the next day.

“My niece’s action was based on her husband’s request who complained bitterly about the state of the economy.

“She noted that she had no job to support her husband which could have made her keep my daughter.
“She had to succumb.

On her part, Mr Onokoya Samson, a businessman, said his son was returned to him after spending three years with his brother.

It is still like a dream. I have a family of six.

“My brother was the one who requested I allow my son to live with him so that he can reduce my responsibility.
“My brother just brought my son to the house without informing me.

“He said that he and his family are travelling abroad for greener pastures and have sold all they have to acquire their Visa and flight tickets.

“He has two children and a wife.

“I didn’t blame him but was grateful that he even helped me for three years.

Now I am faced with an extra responsibility.

Business is not profiting anymore. But my hope is in God. I believe he will save Nigerians from this horrible situation we have found ourselves in.”

Mrs. Sarah Okwudili, a baker and a widow, lamented how she will now be faced with catering for three children.

According to her, After the demise of my husband, his sisters volunteered to take care of two of my kids.

“I agreed. They were taken good care of and attended good schools. If they were with me I won’t be able to afford the fees.
“But as we all know, the country is not smiling at anyone.

Recently, they returned my children with the complaint of a bad economy.

“Reasons like increased school fees, rent and low income were given as reasons for returning them.

“I was very sad but had to thank them because it is not easy to take care of children in this economy.

“ People can only allow relatives that are working to stay with them because they won’t have any burden to bear.
“Now I am saddled with the responsibility of taking care of three children.
“I just believe God will surprise me.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/04/economy-nigerians-no-longer-accommodate-relatives-as-cost-of-living-soars/amp/

2 Likes

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Ahmed0336(m): 11:40am On Apr 01
Story is same with most families.

My advice to parents and intending couples, please give birth to children you can take care of.
Gone are the days when people give birth to many children for reasons best known to them.

Let those who have ears listen, the oracle has spoken grin

91 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Truths9ja: 11:54am On Apr 01
Tinubu harsh economy policies makes the poor to become more poorer by the day

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by EmperorCaesar(m): 11:58am On Apr 01
The number of families used as sample for this survey is so infinitesimal compared to the total number of a family unit we have in Nigeria

But na LP propaganda, so Obididents go believe am

The largest group of Dumbos around cheesy cheesy cheesy

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by chucks185: 12:10pm On Apr 01
EmperorCaesar:
The number of families used as sample for this survey is so infinitesimal compared to the total number of a family unit we have in Nigeria

idiot, you are still looking for sampling to see something that's obvious to the blind,

129 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Day169: 12:44pm On Apr 01
It's just a harsh reality of things, and so it's time for everyone to answer his father's name. undecided

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by victorclean(f): 1:01pm On Apr 01
Not true. Is for emi lo Kan people in the North and South

3 Likes

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by nairalee(m): 1:50pm On Apr 01
Back in the good old days you have uncles, aunts etc to fall back on and even stay with from time to time.

Now everyone is mind your own business such that one can be wealthy while a close relation be in abject poverty and not receive any succour. This is not too good for society

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Praying4Nigeria: 1:50pm On Apr 01

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Villa12(m): 1:50pm On Apr 01
Country hard
Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Macdeey: 1:51pm On Apr 01
angry Thunder ⚡⚡⚡ Fire 🔥 🔥 🔥 Tinubu , Shettima and the entire APC members and their wicked regime angry angry angry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by inoki247: 1:51pm On Apr 01
Lol he don turn make everybody carry derr cross....

8 Likes

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by ATEAMS: 1:51pm On Apr 01
LoL
Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Aremwayne: 1:51pm On Apr 01
EmperorCaesar:

I don’t even know what to classify you as. I am sure you are a retard.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by meum: 1:52pm On Apr 01
Na OYO until we get to the end of the tunnel because that’s where they kept the light.

Even those that used to boast: I can feed you & your family. They are no where to be found these days.

27 Likes

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Rich4god(m): 1:52pm On Apr 01
Not just accommodating relatives. Easter came and pass, no body dey share food gv neighbours again.

To get a reasonable sized chicken is 10k+, how person wan take do.

Na now I see why oyibo people no too like to marry or born plenty children... because the cost of living over there is high and so they just manage to get one or two children that's all.

Gradually, Nigeria is getting to that stage.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by YeyeGbami: 1:52pm On Apr 01
Times are hard.

Most People no want take family member wey go dey send update back to base.

6 Likes

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by DenreleDave(m): 1:52pm On Apr 01
victorclean:
Not true. Is for emi lo Kan people in the North and South

Dey use ur brain

1 Like

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Prigidypogodo(f): 1:52pm On Apr 01
DenreleDave:

Dey use ur brain
I'm watching you

1 Like

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by MichaelSokoto(m): 1:52pm On Apr 01
cousin wey fone me say him dey road dey come my place 4 holidays, naxo I dey return call back to am say I don vacate my crib cos landlord don gimme quit notice since yesterday say I no dey pay house rent on time!

ur fada!

4 dis balablu regime nahim u wan com perch 4 my crib?
u must be a balablu bulaba!

cool

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Villa12(m): 1:53pm On Apr 01
Ahmed0336:
Story is same with most families.

My advice to parents and intending couples, please give birth to children you can take care of.
Gone are the days when people give birth to many children for reasons best known to them.

Let those who have ears listen, the oracle has spoken grin
What of those that already given birth to many children and find it difficult to feed?

2 Likes

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by majmustrise: 1:53pm On Apr 01
We're operating divine economy in my home.
Anybody can just visit; will be treated like a king/queen...
Lobatan
!

4 Likes

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by ogolemati: 1:53pm On Apr 01
grin grin grin grin grin if you're in APC thunder fire you and if you are planning to join APC make thunder fire you too.APC na crooks party

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Ceeogbaru2: 1:54pm On Apr 01
Just an excuse not lender help...
you can't accommodate relatives but your children , wife can be take care of eeeh crazy beings filled up 9ja bitter souls

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by broadman20: 1:54pm On Apr 01
Hmmmmm
Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by NovusHomo(m): 1:54pm On Apr 01
Bobloco:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/04/economy-nigerians-no-longer-accommodate-relatives-as-cost-of-living-soars/amp/

Very good. In fact, FANTASTIC. I have never done it. If you can't raise them, don't bring them to the world. Shikena.

10 Likes

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Goodday90(m): 1:54pm On Apr 01
Tinubu said he would reduce the purchasing power of the people and increase tax

And baba is doing just that

I give him that one,he is truly talk and do

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Zico5(m): 1:54pm On Apr 01
I wonder where these people are getting their news or information from. Probably they want something that obidients can feed on. Though everyone is managing but Nigerians have a way of surviving any situation. We are not cowards. God is the one feeding his people not our doing. We know that things will be better sooner than we expect it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Omeleyi: 1:55pm On Apr 01
Better to return them than push them into street life like we see here in abuja. Abuja is terrible with too many untoward things happening

5 Likes

Re: Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars by Kingpele(m): 1:55pm On Apr 01
Is a pity...well may God continue to help those who heard tinubu when he declared he was going to reduce the purchasing powers of Nigerians then did the right thing by not voting for him...as for lovers of Nigeria (the agbadorians) may they reap whatever they sow...

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle / Help Me Save My Dad Friends / Missing Nigerian Baby Found In Mexico, Father Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.