Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,445 members, 7,816,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? (51300 Views)

Nigerians Mock James Momoh Over 'Dream About 24-Hour Electricity In Nigeria' / Nigerians To Get 18-Hour Electricity Supply Soon – Sale Mamman, Power Minister / Maiduguri Residents Protest Against YEDC For Supplying Them 24-hour Electricity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Oghene86: 6:39am On Apr 04
socialmediaman:
More context and data (using N1,300 = $1 conversion rate):

Electricity cost per KWH for band A in Nigeria = 17 cents. The minimum wage in Nigeria is N30,000 monthly.

Electricity cost per KWH in North Dakota (US) = 10 cents. Minimum wage in North Dakota is $7.25 per hour (N1.3 million naira monthly).

Electricity cost per KWH in Texas (US) = 15 cents. Minimum wage in Texas is $7.25 per hour (N1.3 million naira monthly).

Note: Many Nigerians living in major cities (rich or poor) in Nigeria fall within the band A category, including residents and businesses.

It's utterly disheartening how policies like these are enforced, especially when drawing parallels with the USA. Instead of tackling the glaring issue of minimum wage, why not raise it to $20 per hour before drawing such comparisons? It seems we always opt for impoverishing policies first, only to seek solutions later. The removal of subsidies without functional refineries and now proposing an increase in electricity tariffs while workers struggle on a meager salary of N35k, compared to power bills of over N170k in the USA, is baffling.

Tinubu appears to be solely focused on boosting revenue for personal gain, turning a blind eye to the rampant government corruption, as seen with the Betta Edu case. Until accountability is upheld, such comparisons hold little weight.
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by nesphil(m): 6:50am On Apr 04
Wetin concern GEJ and this increment now?
Talking bullshit as usual.
No government has made a significant investment in the power sector like GEJ did so keep quite.
May be the sacked power minister is your uncle, so why not tell us what interest Sambo had in the power sector that lead to your uncle being sacked as Power Minister.

slimfit1:
Some people have destroyed this country for personal gain and their children won't benefit from it. Generating electricity for the whole country will create thousands of jobs. An ordinary monkey can figure that out. Sambo is one of the saboteur of electric generation. Jonathan lost me when he allowed his power minister to resign because Sambo told him to sack him.Sambo had and interest somewhere that we didn't know as usual. Whatever is working I will let somethings slide until I get my result then take action. Jonathan wanted to please Sambo.
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Cromagnon: 6:53am On Apr 04
phemmie06:

Some are blind followers and they will remain.
Our governance is one of the most expensive, your leaders keep allocating money for themselves yet you're saying this.
Maybe you have forgotten that we spend same currency
Like I said you earn 2500
They earn 60 k
The same dollars
What's your excuse
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Cromagnon: 6:54am On Apr 04
ravensckar:
I stopped taking you seriously the very moment you said I should go and build a refinery. It's obvious you lack the intellectual capacity to understand public discourse.

So it is you begging for Refinery that will be taken serious?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Bye kid! Go look for your mate to play with! wink wink
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by lexy2014: 6:54am On Apr 04
Cromagnon:
can it be available if you refuse to pay for it

is the power available? simple yes or no
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by victory36(m): 6:55am On Apr 04
aieromon:

Let's look at the facts on ground.

House 1
Power load = 2000W
Average of 20hrs/day gives 600 hours in a 30 day calendar month.
Power consumption = 2kW * 600h = 1200kWh
Cost of power consumed = ₦225 * 1200 = ₦270,000

House 2
Power load = 2000W
Power is generated using a 2.5 kVA petrol generator. Running wattage is 2000W.
Fuel efficiency = 1.1litres/hour (15 litres in 14 hours at 50% load - generator will consume more if we increase the load but let us stick with this for the purpose of this comparison)
For House 2 to generate 600hrs in a month requires 660L of PMS.
At ₦560/litre, House 2 will spend a sum of ₦369,600 in an attempt to replicate power supply from DISCOs. Maintenance cost has not been factored in these calculations.

A lot of small scale businesses spend up to ₦178,000 monthly running petrol generators.

Power is not cheap!

power is not cheap but it isn't exclusively priced either🤷
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Cromagnon: 6:55am On Apr 04
SmartPolician:

Mvgu, OP asked for your thoughts.
Stop wanking over mine!
Your bad home training are my thoughts na
Hurry up and show us how you've parents failed you
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Ubanz: 7:06am On Apr 04
Let there be light first then we can pay N500. We never see light at all and they are hiking the tarrif.
Unless the light is fixed any increments will still end up in the pockets of their executives and the distribution will still remain epileptic.
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by zrocky: 7:09am On Apr 04
socialmediaman:
The Tinubu government has just increased electricity cost for band A customers to N225 per KPH.

For context, customers in the US pay about the same cost per KPH (or cheaper) depending on the state you live in.

Energy analysts are explaining that Nigerians are willing to pay more if they have access to electricity.

Based on data from NerdWallet, the average monthly electricity cost in the US is about $137 which is about N178,000.

Are you willing to pay N178,000 monthly for electricity for a 24-hour supply?

this is somebody's half rent a month In some European countries with standard light and all bills included, with minimum wage at at least 900k a month. So if government want to increase the fee, they should increase salaries or na onto 30k person go pay this money
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Greattha: 7:14am On Apr 04
Please tell the imps. They only compare with America when it favours them. ...when the politicians and their tools want to justify their stealing and their dumb oppressed servants want to justify their oppressors.

Notice how they implement these horrible policies before it comes to the news/ public ?

They're in control of the media and they own everything...who no wan cash out for this regime?

SmartPolician:

This is how people fail exams, turn around and blame their lecturers. Answer a simple question and you are here telling a needless story.

To answer the question, I don't think the United States should be used as a benchmark because that country is very rich and we don't operate a dollar economy here. People can afford to pay that in the US, but we cannot.

Come to think of it, we don't import the raw materials we use to generate power. We have gas reserves in Nigeria and hydrothermal energy comes from dams.

How do Ivory Coast and Ghana enjoy steady power? Do they pay up to that? If they don't, we don't have any reason to. ECOWAS subregional countries share so much in common. What works for A should work for B. Those countries should be our yardstick, not almighty America!
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Emekayoung(m): 7:16am On Apr 04
Make it possible. We have prepaid meters. Don't use that one as an excuse. Give us steady light.
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Brandosky: 7:16am On Apr 04
Exousiang01:

Nigeria has always had access to steady power supply, the distribution companies only supply to those who can afford it.
My family house in Lagos is in Nicon Town, I also have a property in Nicon Town, I currently stay in my VGC residence during this my stay in the country and I haven't had less the 18hrs power, which is actually less than what I used to get back when I was here.
So yes, access to power is a fundamental human right BUT...... can you afford it?
My office at Oniru runs on not less than 24 A.Cs, you don't wanna know how much is spent on electricity monthly.

Of you had a power distribution company will you supply to customers who cannot pay?
Na only God go dey punish idiats like you.
Common sense dictates that you consider the minimum wage and how many Nigerians that are employed, before demanding that they pay #178,000 for electricity monthly .

Lastly, you own no company with 24 acs and will never own one, in your entire miserable life. You are just a hungry riffraff trying to earn 30k by supporting evil apc government.

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by motionarena: 7:20am On Apr 04
HenryWilliams:

You'll still pay the tariff of Band A.
There's nothing like Band
Everyone will pay the same.tariff irrespective of location .

Ahh make dem no try rough play
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Dcaliphate(m): 7:21am On Apr 04
How much is minimum wage in Nigeria abi u dey ment?
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Dcaliphate(m): 7:23am On Apr 04
heniford2:
If that happens massive bypass will hit them
Massive o, make them just dey play....how much be Minimum wage?
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Brandosky: 7:24am On Apr 04
mrvitalis:

GSM was never free or cheap
So this foool is still talking
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by sucess001(m): 7:26am On Apr 04
aieromon:

Let's look at the facts on ground.

House 1
Power load = 2000W
Average of 20hrs/day gives 600 hours in a 30 day calendar month.
Power consumption = 2kW * 600h = 1200kWh
Cost of power consumed = ₦225 * 1200 = ₦270,000

House 2
Power load = 2000W
Power is generated using a 2.5 kVA petrol generator. Running wattage is 2000W.
Fuel efficiency = 1.1litres/hour (15 litres in 14 hours at 50% load - generator will consume more if we increase the load but let us stick with this for the purpose of this comparison)
For House 2 to generate 600hrs in a month requires 660L of PMS.
At ₦560/litre, House 2 will spend a sum of ₦369,600 in an attempt to replicate power supply from DISCOs. Maintenance cost has not been factored in these calculations.

A lot of small scale businesses spend up to ₦178,000 monthly running petrol generators.

Power is not cheap!

Paid trolls.

They just showed you that power is cheaper in the US than what Nigeria s proposing for power that is no guaranteed. They showed u that they get 1.3 million minimum wage as against the 30k here.

Have you thought of he inflation this will cost t businesses and how it will be passed on to consumers who are barely living after facing 30% inflation?

if it's not lunacy, I wonder what can make someone post wat u posted.

Don't let your future kids curse you.
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Temi2468: 7:28am On Apr 04
ravensckar:
Nigerians can never learn! We're just too short sighted to see beyond our nose.

Let's start from FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL. Almost a year now that subsidy was removed, has any refinery been built? All the so-called CNG plan, which one has been implemented. The government just increased fuel price with bogus promise and we fell for it.

Now, it's ELECTRICITY TARIFF. The government is trying so hard to increase the tariff with nothing on ground. The issue of estimated billing (for unmetred households) hasn't been addressed. Power generation & transmission issue is still there. Some communities still don't have a functioning transformer, PHCN isn't doing anything about it. The govt's primary concern is to increase tariff. Tinubu just wants to sniff life out of poor Nigerians.

Also, comparing the tariff in Nigeria with that of U.S.A is a sign of brain fault. Why can't we compare the electricity tariffs of our West African neighbours like BENIN REP.,GHANA, IVORY COAST, etc. After all, they are enjoying 24/7 power supply.

After swallowing this Electricity Tariff increment, the next thing would be increase in the cost of assessing PUBLIC HEALTH CARE. That is of course after increasing school fee for all public institutions. Let's see how long we can all adjust. cheesy cheesy

And lest I forget, this Electricity Tariff increment will favour me and my family. cheesy cheesy

Las las, we go get sense for this country.

Best comment I have read so far!

And I love how you ended it with sarcasm.
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Justnation: 7:29am On Apr 04
slimfit1:
Some people have destroyed this country for personal gain and their children won't benefit from it. Generating electricity for the whole country will create thousands of jobs. An ordinary monkey can figure that out. Sambo is one of the saboteur of electric generation. Jonathan lost me when he allowed his power minister to resign because Sambo told him to sack him.Sambo had and interest somewhere that we didn't know as usual. Whatever is working I will let somethings slide until I get my result then take action. Jonathan wanted to please Sambo.

You left emilokan disaster and you are calling sambo and Jonathan, what concerns them in this matter? People that left office 9 years ago.
Your dumb foolery is incurable

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Mrpojj(m): 7:30am On Apr 04
socialmediaman:
The Tinubu government has just increased electricity cost for band A customers to N225 per KPH.

For context, customers in the US pay about the same cost per KPH (or cheaper) depending on the state you live in.

Energy analysts are explaining that Nigerians are willing to pay more if they have access to electricity.

Based on data from NerdWallet, the average monthly electricity cost in the US is about $137 which is about N178,000.

Are you willing to pay N178,000 monthly for electricity for a 24-hour supply?
They always make comparison , now the question is how much is minimum wage in the usw
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Brandosky: 7:32am On Apr 04
georgeakins:

Berth Nnaji is another saboteur.
I don't know why ibos just like protecting criminals among them
Dumbola !! Tell us what your useless father has achieved ? Idiat !!
We all know Barth nnaji and his achievements today(power minister and a gift of steady electricity for his people). What has your useless father achieved, other than birthing an idiat like you ? Tell us
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Nuzo1(m): 7:37am On Apr 04
mrvitalis:

I have always said it here, Nigerians that can afford 24 hours electricity already have it

There is no one that wants electricity 24/7 that can't get them

Nigerians want the impossible which is free/cheap and steady electricity... Electricity is luxury and we are too poor for it right now

We don't need electricity for development

There is absolutely no company you can start only when you have electricity 24/7 that u can't start now

I just hope you are kidding.

Otherwise you should know by now that electricity is the number factor for development anywhere in the world.

But like I said before, I know you were joking around with your comment.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Brandosky: 7:40am On Apr 04
Wande22:
For some myopic people here

Last month alone, we spent more than 21million Naira on Diesel in a hospitality company in Lagos
Opono there is no band A or any other band in Nigeria. Most homes in capital cities in Nigeria, don't even see upto 7hrs electricity today. They simply want to increase tarrif
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Brandosky: 7:48am On Apr 04
Cromagnon:

They are not poor
They are the global 1%
Poor pay $100 for electricity
Another foool on the loose. You want people earning #30k to pay $100 for electricity ? What an idiot !!
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by georgeakins: 7:49am On Apr 04
Brandosky:

Dumbola !! Tell us what your useless father has achieved ? Idiat !!
We all know Barth nnaji and his achievements today(power minister and a gift of steady electricity for his people). What has your useless father achieved, other than birthing an idiat like you ? Tell us

Jagaban alone is greater than all ibo leaders put together, both dead and living.
But you and illiterate blodas still insult him because your tribe cannot produce a great man like him till Jesus' second coming.

Otedola and Davido's father have many power plants littered all over Nigeria.
So, I don't know what you and your illiterate blodas are celebrating in Nnaji.
Anyway, your region has been the most backward since independence.
Most of your blodas still in live caves where they feast on human flesh.
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Elsueno: 7:53am On Apr 04
Xiaohei:

Electricity is luxury? I give up on some Nigerians oooo! Jesu! No wonder Nigerian govt dey use Nigerians dey play kalokalo! Because people have become accustomed to suffering so much so that the most basic things in life are considered luxury by them. Haba!

Don't bother about mrvitalis, this guy would even defend the Nigerian govt if they decide to start taxing people for Air

2 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by smileyoo: 7:53am On Apr 04
Zxcvbnmghtr:

You mean it's not for ladies who men pay bills for them from their hard earned money because these men are are simps. grin

But how much is #178,000 monthly for constant electricity. About #6,000 a day.
be real bros, how many Nigerians are earning up #6.000 daily ?
don't be selfish, that you can afford it doesn't mean that your average Nigerian citizen can also afford it.
the minimum wage of an average worker in Nigeria is just #30.000 , and you expect the same worker to be able to pay #178.000
monthly electricity tariff, is that not madness on the part of the ruling class ?
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by yemmywesey(m): 7:54am On Apr 04
slimfit1:

Please, shed more light on this
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by mrvitalis(m): 7:58am On Apr 04
Elsueno:

Don't bother about mrvitalis, this guy would even defend the Nigerian govt if they decide to start taxing people for Air
If they actually tax Nigerians tribalism would end, voting based on religious sentiments would end
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Royceey(m): 7:58am On Apr 04
When it is time inflict the Poor Masses with exorbitant Hike in commodity, they will use US as a Case study.
Are the Nigerian Government paying same Minimum Wage as US.?

Are Nigerian Government Creating Jobs like US for her Citizen to meet up with the cost inflation?

Is APC Government importing Electricity
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by mrvitalis(m): 8:00am On Apr 04
Nuzo1:

I just hope you are kidding.

Otherwise you should know by now that electricity is the number factor for development anywhere in the world.

But like I said before, I know you were joking around with your comment.
You absolutely do not need electricity ( constant national grid electricity)for development

Electricity is a symptom of development, not needed for development

Access to electricity is needed for development... In fact some people would say access to gas

Which of the industrail revolution was caused by electricity? Lmaooo check e go shock u.. None
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by MomohMrMoore: 8:00am On Apr 04
Why this comparism with USA? Nigerians willing to pay more for good electricity does not mean we pay what US oays. The minimum wage in US is like 1.3million naira with the current fx rate, that of Nigeria is N30k. That is 1.3m÷43. So Nigeria should pay 173000÷43 = N4000 monthly for electricity by America calculation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Tinubu: Buhari Was A Serial Loser Until I Made Him President, It Is Now My Turn / President Buhari Fixes Roads In Goodluck Jonathan's Hometown (Photos) / Falana: If Sowore Is Charged, Buhari Will Be My First Witness In Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.