Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,409 members, 7,830,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) (17588 Views)

Is This Why Ooni Of Ife Is Marrying Several Wives? / Shilekunola Moronke Naomi Leads Praise & Worship At Ooni's Palace In Ile-ife / Ekiti Governorship Election: Ooni Of Ife Is Sad Over Political Tension (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by YouAreNobody: 8:56pm On Apr 28
Benwallt:

Is Obi of Onitsha a king or a councillor?

Go and ask the Ooni of Ife
Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by YouAreNobody: 8:58pm On Apr 28
chopnaira:

He is an Ngwa man from Abia. You guys should learn to mind your own business. By the way, the ibos are now a minority tribe in Nigeria. Dot in a circle and 5 percenters.

but you should be ashamed o, you can't go a day without talking about this minority tribe of 5percenters in a dot in a circle. Just think about it, every waking minute you're tormented by thoughts of these people and while you sleep you always dream about them. What does that tell you? It means you're a stark raving lunatic, it's just a matter of time and you'll get your room in Yaba Left

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by Tflex01: 9:14pm On Apr 28
YouAreNobody:

Benin kingdom precedes Yoruba and Igbo, everyting else you said here is jargon. Just imagine a vagabond from a tribe who still believe rituals is the only source of wealth speaking nonsense.
Gettout abeg. Attache by force, always afraid of standing on their own

Benin kingdom precedes Igbo, Fact!
Yoruba kingdom precedes Benin, Fact! Binis know Yorubas are their boss forget the small online grandstanding.

When Binis and Yorubas already have kingdoms and empires, Igbos were still jumping from one tree to the other, naked.

The day you mis.creants mess up with Binis they will tell you your real history.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by IkpuMmadu: 9:21pm On Apr 28
Tflex01:

Benin kingdom precedes Igbo, Fact!
Yoruba kingdom precedes Benin, Fact! Binis know Yorubas are their boss forget the small online grandstanding.

When Binis and Yorubas already have kingdoms and empires, Igbos were still jumping from one tree to the other, naked.

The day you mis.creants mess up with Binis they will tell you your real history.
igbo Ukwu art work is 500yts older than Benin id yesterday thay was influence by igbo
Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by AutomaticMotors: 10:09am On Apr 29
YouAreNobody:

Benin kingdom precedes Yoruba and Igbo, everyting else you said here is jargon. Just imagine a vagabond from a tribe who still believe rituals is the only source of wealth speaking nonsense.
Gettout abeg. Attache by force, always afraid of standing on their own

🤣🤣🤣 Aah this wotowoto enter oo
Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by Iykenuwa(m): 11:37am On Apr 29
DOptical:

You dey craze. Oduduwa which is a Yoruba name isn't a Yoruba? You dey mad be that.

Even Before the whole existence of Bini and Ekaledehan (a Yoruba name too) who died at Ughoton existed, Oduduwa who was from Oke Ora already existed long ago.

Anyways, the Bini chiefs have always known their histories hence why they came to Ife. Oba of Bini heads were always buried in Ife as a matter of fact because "Ori Ade ko gbodo sun ta".

You wen no de craze.

What is the meaning of Oduduwa in Yoruba?

Answer let me credit you 20k

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by TAO11(f): 4:34pm On May 01
Christistruth00:
cool
Lobatan O!!

God Almighty is the God of Truth and he honours it

Obagodo of Ile Ife founded Benin and the Ogiso dynasty

Obagodo was a Prince of the Ile Ife Obatala dynasty

That was why when they got into Trouble it was to Ile Ife they returned for a new king

and Prince Oranmiyan then founded the Oba dynasty of Benin.
No tradition (whether of the Yorubas or of the Binis) says Obagodo/Igodo/Ogodo is of the Obatala lineage.

That snippet you attached comes from a book which says Igodo/Obagodo/Ogodo is Oduduwa’s eldest son.

Peace!

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by TAO11(f): 4:49pm On May 01
JuanDeDios:

Obatala dynasty. Hmm. Where did Obatala come from?
Obagodo is not from the Obatala lineage actually, but doesn’t change his overall point. Obatala is from Ife.

Where are you from? Just curious!

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by TAO11(f): 4:59pm On May 01
Iykenuwa:
You wen no de craze.

What is the meaning of Oduduwa in Yoruba?

Answer let me credit you 20k
Oduduwa literally means “repository of beinghood”.

Use your money buy book. Now my turn: What does "Ekaladerhan" mean?

If you don’t know it, then that would prove it is not a Bini/Edo term. It must be a Fulani term then.

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by AutomaticMotors: 5:22pm On May 01
TAO11:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by TAO11(f): 5:40pm On May 01
AutomaticMotors:
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Yeah, no one is denying that your little ego is bruised cos “oduduwa” is a Yoruba term and meaning:

“Repository of beinghood”.

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by Christistruth00: 6:16pm On May 01
cool
Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by Christistruth00: 6:33pm On May 01
TAO11:
No tradition (whether of the Yorubas or of the Binis) says Obagodo/Igodo/Ogodo is of the Obatala lineage.

That snippet you attached comes from a book which says Igodo/Obagodo/Ogodo is Oduduwa’s eldest son.

Peace!
Tao11 long time
You must keep up the good work of History research and Teaching

But Oduduwa was the King of Ile Ife and that simply means Igodo was an Ife Prince

Even if we aren't sure which dynasty he was from
I do accept that Ife Got some timelines wrong because I myself later found out that Oduduwa and Oranmiyan lived in different periods though Oranmiyan truly descended from Oduduwa
I am still trying to balance out some timelines especially the one that says 31 Ogiso ruled before Oranmiyan git to Benin

Yet the Ogiamien family agreed that Ife and Yorubaland is far Older than Benin and Ife was more Civilized in kingdom building affairs

Ibadan Historian Laji Abass says it is generally agreed that at least 93 Obatala dynasty kings ruled Ife before Oduduwa
Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by Iykenuwa(m): 9:00am On May 02
TAO11:

If you don’t know it, then that would prove it is not a Bini/Edo term. It must be a Fulani term then.

Liars. So a stranger (by all Yoruba accounts) came to Ife with a Yoruba name?

That is like saying Kunta Kinte arrived America as Jackson Wright.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by TAO11(f): 9:02pm On May 02
Iykenuwa:

Liars. So a stranger (by all Yoruba accounts) came to Ife with a Yoruba name?

That is like saying Kunta Kinte arrived America as Jackson Wright.

Stranger to Ile-Ifẹ, Ifẹ. From Oke-Ọra, Ifẹ.
——
I’m not leaving your neck alone if you don’t cry:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by Iykenuwa(m): 10:13pm On May 02
TAO11:

——

If he was from Oke Ara, how come your fathers claim the following:

1. He was “from the East”.

2. He came from Mecca.

3. He fell from the sky

I put it to you that the "Oke Ara" claim is false and a modern attempt to change the facts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by TAO11(f): 1:15am On May 03
Iykenuwa:
If he was from Oke Ara, how come your fathers claime the following:

1. He was “from the East”.

2. He came from Mecca.

3. He fell from the sky

I put it to you that yhe Oke Ara claim is false and a modern attempt to change the facts.
Lol.

(1) Oke-Ọra, Ifẹ account did not come after the Mecca narrative.

89 years before a ‘Mecca’ origin of Oduduwa thesis was published by Johnson,

it has already been published that Oduduwa the progenitor of the Yorubas is an aboriginal of Ifẹ.

(2) Oke-Ọra, Ifẹ is in the eastern direction from Ile-Ifẹ, Ifẹ I hope that adds the additional comfort you seek.

(3) On sky, that is also true because for example the following two (John 6:38 Vs. Matthew 2:1) are both true — because they reference two different realms of discourses. See more! 👇🏾
The same Ife traditions which holds a Heavenly origin (from a religious & metaphysical standpoint) for Ogun Oduduwa, Ọbatala, Ọṣun, et al. of course also realize (from a earthly & historical POV) that Oduduwa is an Ifẹ native, precisely from one of the surrounding hills.

That is, while Jesus Christ is Believed from a religious & metaphysical standpoint to have come down from Heaven (John 6:38); he’s also Known from an earthly & historical POV to be from Bethlehem (Matthew 2:1).

While Alexander-the-Great is Believed from a religious & metaphysical standpoint to have a non-human dad, Zeus-Ammon (a deity); he’s also Known from an earthly & historical POV to have another dad, Phillip-II (a human).

Different realms of discourse, hence no contradiction whatsoever.
——

Cheers 🥂

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by Iykenuwa(m): 9:32am On May 03
TAO11:
Lol.

(1) Oke-Ọra, Ifẹ account did not come after the Mecca narrative.

89 years before a ‘Mecca’ origin of Oduduwa thesis was published by Johnson,

it has already been published that Oduduwa the progenitor of the Yorubas is an aboriginal of Ifẹ.

(2) Oke-Ọra, Ifẹ is in the eastern direction from Ile-Ifẹ, Ifẹ I hope that adds the additional comfort you seek.

(3) On sky, that is also true because for example the following two (John 6:38 Vs. Matthew 2:1) are both true — because they reference two different realms of discourses. See more! 👇🏾
——

Cheers 🥂

Oduduwa was from a village near Ife (same Ife your fathers admit was a village being attacked repeatedly by invaders until Oduduwa came to save them), became a king yet your fathers for hundreds of years claimed he either fell from the sky or came from Mecca.

Now you as a local Jack Bauer have come to correct the error of your fathers, Oshey!

Point me to five different sources that mention Oduduwa was from Oke Ara.
Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by Simbrixton(m): 3:34pm On May 03
TAO11:

——

you are doing an amazing work sir this people should read more and stop exposing their primitive mentality

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by Simbrixton(m): 3:36pm On May 03
Iykenuwa:

Oduduwa was from a village near Ife (same Ife your fathers admit was a village being attacked repeatedly by invaders until Oduduwa came to save them), became a king yet your fathers for hundreds of years claimed he either fell from the sky or came from Mecca.

Now you as a local Jack Bauer have come to correct the error of your fathers, Oshey!

point 1 source from ife that agrees with the nonsense you said

Assumption they say is the lowest form of intelligence shame us and point 1 source 😂😂😂

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by TAO11(f): 4:17am On May 04
Iykenuwa:
Oduduwa was from a village near Ife (same Ife your fathers admit was a village being attacked repeatedly by invaders until Oduduwa came to save them),became a king
YOU: ”Ife was a village & was attacked until Oduduwa rescue them”.

ME: What’s your source?

YOU: Just trust me. I’m a man of God, I don’t lie.

ME: lmao 🤣

Some people were yet your fathers for hundreds of years claimed he either fell from the sky or came from Mecca.
Debunked in the preceding comment. You’re coping now. So, cope harder!

It’s okay that you assumed I wrote those books. You think highly of me. Lol.

ME: How many times must I flog & shame you before it sinks in?

YOU: Five times!

ME: This one has lost shame. 🤣 😂
——

Cheers 🥂

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video) by TAO11(f): 12:35am On May 05
Christistruth00:
Tao11 long time
You must keep up the good work of History research and Teaching
Yes o! I got busy with other things ni. And it also feels like the job is done here. But I come once in a while.

But Oduduwa was the King of Ile Ife and that simply means Igodo was an Ife Prince

Even if we aren't sure which dynasty he was from
So, if we're going by the received traditions, then we can’t say we are unsure who the "father" of Igodo, or Ogodo, or Obagodo is; or where he's from. See File-1.

The classical received BENIN traditions are very clear that Obagodo is Oodua’s eldest "son" & was from Ife.

On the YORUBA side, Rev Samuel Johnson recorded an account which indicates the exact same thing. It says:

Oduduwa had children, grandchildren, & great-grand children, such as: Ọranmiyan (youngest grandchild) & Alado [a "King of Benin" (the eldest)] amongst others.

It’s obvious from this Yoruba account as well that this pre-Ọranmiyan King of Benin is from Oduduwa’s line.

I do accept that Ife Got some timelines wrong because I myself later found out that Oduduwa and Oranmiyan lived in different periods though Oranmiyan truly descended from Oduduwa

Oral traditions are not expected to have time-lines & details neatly recalled with impeccable accuracy.

In fact if you find such without variations, versions, & inconsistencies of detail; you can be rest assured that what you’re looking at is not oral tradition, but rather some information that has just been carefully cooked in modern times & falsely passed off as oral tradition.

So it has nothing to do with Ifẹ folks but everything to do with how oral traditions work. And that is where a professional historian steps in, to sift the wheat from the chaff & come up with an interpretation of best fit.

So, if we go by the current interpretations of modern historical scholarship, Oduduwa fl 1000 & Ọranmiyan fl 1200 most likely didn’t meet even when the latter is a grandchild of the former as our tradition specifies.

I am still trying to balance out some timelines especially the one that says 31 Ogiso ruled before Oranmiyan git to Benin

Yet the Ogiamien family agreed that Ife and Yorubaland is far Older than Benin and Ife was more Civilized in kingdom building affairs
Lool. The supposed number of Ogisos that reigned at 'Benin' differs from writer to writer. Each writer trying to increase the number just to ground an exceptional antiquity for their kingdom—perhaps into the BCs.😅

But because we are dealing with social memory here, folks of a latter time (e.g. fl 2024) can not possibly say they recollect/remember an event of the past (e.g. ca 1924) better than folks of the past/closer to the event (e.g. fl 1940). In other words, the earliest list collected from Benin social memory in the 1910s/1920s should be more dependable & less dubious than latter ones

The earliest list of Ogiso, published in the 1930s, has 10 Ogisos & they are: (1) Obagodo (2) Ere (3) Orire (4) Akhuankhuan (5)Ekpigho (6)Oria (7)Emose(8 )Orhorho (9) Obioye & (10) Arigho. Two administrators followed.

The 'UNESCO Courier' published this original number even in its October 1959 issue. See File-2 from pg. 13.

Using an average of 13 year length of reign (Sargeant 1984:278), the timespan separating Oduduwa/Igodo’s period from Ọranmiyan/2nd-administrator’s period is in line with Oduduwa fl 1000 and Ọranmiyan fl 1200.

Ibadan Historian Laji Abass says it is generally agreed that at least 93 Obatala dynasty kings ruled Ife before Oduduwa

I’m not sure where he got that from. But I suspect he may have gotten that from an oral annotated king list alluded to by Blier in her 2015 work, & that would be a misunderstanding by him of the real point of the list.

Anyway, Ife couldn’t have had 93 pre-Oduduwa ọbas of the Obatala-line as Obatala fluorished in the same period as Oduduwa . It’s an exaggeration, though Ifẹ had pre-Oduduwa monarchs of which Obatala come to be the last of only one of the pre-existing lineages.

Cheers!

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo / Crazy But True Facts About Culture / How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.