Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,730 members, 7,955,775 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:44 PM

Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery (150528 Views)

A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch / Durban (south Africa) Picture Gallery: South Africa´s Third Largest City / Angola Picture Gallery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by abes(m): 9:53am On Dec 05, 2011
I don't think the first picture is real o, but others are confirmed Obudu images.

Obudu and Calabar are like 5-hour driving distance apart, though they are both in the same state (Cross-river).
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by maclatunji: 9:57am On Dec 05, 2011
Benzora:

Donald Duke transformed Cross River State in a spate of just 8years. This is the kind of guy with the courage and the intellect to move this Country forward not the bozos parading themselves as leaders today. This is one of his very many achievements as Governor of a hitherto unknown sleepy civil service state called Cross River. Tinapa that is now wasting away with all the World class infracstruture is also his brain child. The government house was not built by Julius Berger like Akwa Ibom and Rivers with all the billions but it is more classy than both. We ve all it takes to compete with the very best Countries in the so called first world, we just need the likes of Duke to get there.

Without seeking to demean Mr. Duke's achievements. I must say he wasted a lot of Cross River State's resources on this ranch and Tinapa. Majority of the people live in abject poverty. The Urban centres in Cross River are Calabar, Ugep, Ikom, Ogoja and Obudu. The rest are very rural and in terms of land mass about twice the size of Lagos State.

Ironically, the Obudu Cattle ranch is in Obanliku Local Government, not Obudu LG of Cross River.
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by Godson1990: 10:05am On Dec 05, 2011
What a beauty to behold.
We have nice places like this and we are not promoting it? We rely too heavily on oil, we can make lots of money from tourism and it brings alot of employment as well.
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by freecocoa(f): 10:07am On Dec 05, 2011
I wanna go there this xmas,anyone willing to take me? Hurry and let me know,entry closes on the 20th of dec,I don't accept late entries o.
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by COMPAQ(m): 10:07am On Dec 05, 2011
Seems oyinbo's value our Obudu more than we do ourselves, !!

1 Like

Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by db10dtruth(m): 10:10am On Dec 05, 2011
One of the few places you MUST visit in Nigeria before you die, beauty and nature at its peak!
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by Nobody: 10:12am On Dec 05, 2011
note
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by Scottx(m): 10:19am On Dec 05, 2011
Beautiful pictures. I never believed that there is somewhere like this in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 05, 2011
that first pix looks like paint
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by Okijajuju1(m): 10:22am On Dec 05, 2011
I was at the ranch for a weekend in late 2010.

The ranch is 5-hours by road from Calabar. Although I learnt that there is a once a week flight to Obudu (I am not sure of this and cant give you details about it). You can also hire a Helicopter to fly you directly to the ranch as there is a Helipad at the back of the Presidential lodge on the ranch.

Accomodation: Accomodation "on the ranch" is very very expensive. I cant stress this fact enough. For those planning on spending up to a week on the ranch, I would suggest you have atleast 300'k to burn on just accomodation. The accomodations on the ranch vary. From single huts to single 3 bedroom houses. The cheapest rooms are more than 25'k per night on the ranch. When I went, our lodge (the 3-bedroom houses) were 120,000 Naira per night. However, I learnt that there are cheaper accomodations in the Obudu local government (i.e off the ranch) that you can use and just drive to the ranch in the morning and enjoy their facilities. However, I would recommend you spend a night on the ranch as the experience at night is out of this world. You are literarilly in the clouds! No jokes!

Food: Food on the ranch is relatively cheap (as at the time I visited). Their is a Protea Hotel (although its only a restaurant and not a hotel) that offers food services on the ranch for 2000 Naira. And its a buffet style set-up. But I must say that their buffet spread was not impressive at all. But at 2000 Naira, I guess I cant complain much.

Reservations: I guess you may have to call the Cross-Rivers State tourism board for directions, as what I did was just drive up to the ranch and wing it!

Transportation:  This is not a problem at all as many bus companies in Calabar run daily shuttle services to Obudu local Government Area daily, from there you can hire a car to the ranch. I for one just paid up for the entire seats on a bus (that was air-conditioned), and rather than the bus taking us from Calabar to the Park, it took us straight to the ranch. We also made similar arrangements for the same bus to return 3 days after to pick us up and take us back to Calabar. All this can be easily arranged and is the least of your worries.

Generally, if you are in a party of 5, I would suggest atleast 500,000 Naira for a weekend of good fun. This estimate includes Transportation (approx 30 - 50'k), Accomodation for two nights (300,000), Feeding (20, 000) and just other fun activities (for 50'k). Things on the mountain resort are expensive so I would suggest you bring your alcohol, beverages and chewables (like biscuits, pringles and sodas) along with you.

Overall, It is worth every penny you spend. I strongly recommend everyone visits Obudu once in their life time.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by pendusky(m): 10:28am On Dec 05, 2011
gud plaz to be,
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by maclatunji: 10:29am On Dec 05, 2011
Read https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-159720.0.html

People live there O. It is some people's home town they go up and down the ranch on okada.  Personally, I think it is the most dangerous okada ride in the world!
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by Bawss1(m): 10:30am On Dec 05, 2011
Thanks Okija Juju for the info but at N120k per night for a room I think I'll be heading to Igbere this holiday.

1 Like

Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by jimjones: 10:33am On Dec 05, 2011
@OP: there's no such place in Calabar
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by olaezebala: 10:39am On Dec 05, 2011
Macl, Are you kidding me? The ranch is at the boarder of cross river and benue state? TAAAAAA! It's true that Obudu share boundary wit Tsar in Benue state but the ranch is in Obanliku local govt which is up to 50 kilometers from Obudu commercial center(the cyclist park). For lodging at the ranch, though as at Feb that I went there, African hut is 25k overnight(the cheapest), governor's lodge is 150k overnight while the Presidential lodge is 250k overnight. You can cut your bill if you lodge at hotels in Obudu(off ranch) and wit #1,400, the cab will take you up ranch.

1 Like

Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by executinal(m): 10:39am On Dec 05, 2011
nice picture
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by maclatunji: 10:40am On Dec 05, 2011
jim jones:

It is a very popular and expensive misconception.

1 Like

Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by alex406(m): 10:42am On Dec 05, 2011
This is what we need in Nigeria so that we can attract foreign investors and boom our economy.
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by Nobody: 10:44am On Dec 05, 2011
[size=14pt]Okija, thank you. . .

This is a bus stop on my Honey moon Journey. . . tongue[/size]
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by Okijajuju1(m): 10:46am On Dec 05, 2011
Bawss1:

Thanks Okija Juju for the info but at N120k per night for a room I think I'll be heading to Igbere this holiday.

120,000'k Is for a 3-bedroom house/lodge. Its in one of the Pictures on display!

jim jones:

Its not in Calabar, but Cross-Rivers State!!

Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by fm7070: 10:53am On Dec 05, 2011
this is nice.
but, is it for the common man? or for dem dem.
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by freecocoa(f): 10:56am On Dec 05, 2011
D55:

@freecocoa, we can plan a trip together. But u av to be ready to sponsor urself oooo. If u interested, I'm game
The essence of that advert is to get a sponsor,now reply in accordance,thanks.
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by maclatunji: 10:56am On Dec 05, 2011
olaezebala:

Macl, Are you kidding me? The ranch is at the boarder of cross river and benue state? TAAAAAA! It's true that Obudu share boundary wit Tsar in Benue state but the ranch is in Obanliku local govt which is up to 50 kilometers from Obudu commercial center(the cyclist park). For lodging at the ranch, though as at Feb that I went there, African hut is 25k overnight(the cheapest), governor's lodge is 150k overnight while the Presidential lodge is 250k overnight. You can cut your bill if you lodge at hotels in Obudu(off ranch) and wit #1,400, the cab will take you up ranch.

Have you lived in the area? Do you now the terrain? Are boundaries defined by only motorable roads. I repeat the ranch is ridiculously close to Benue State.
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by Okijajuju1(m): 11:01am On Dec 05, 2011
^^ WHo cares what state its located in?!

Its also close to cameroun as well!
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by Olalekan0(m): 11:09am On Dec 05, 2011
@free cocoa,I'm game should you be under the age of 30. The last thing i want is people mistaken you for my sugar mommy when am actually the one doing the spending!
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by maclatunji: 11:10am On Dec 05, 2011
freecocoa:

The essence of that advert is to get a sponsor,now reply in accordance,thanks.

I can't believe you are doing this.  So you are willing to put yourself in danger with a stranger just to go to the ranch!

@Okija very true.
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by Arosa(m): 11:13am On Dec 05, 2011
How do one get there? NICE! cool
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by yemmyma: 11:14am On Dec 05, 2011
Poor Nigeria,

We create beautiful place like this for foreigners to come and enjoy, while sufferness is made for our own citizens despite abundant resources.

Obudu cattle ranch won't save Nigeria of her mess. Develop the whole country and people will troop in large numbers.

Abi I lie?
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by INAHJOSEP(m): 11:21am On Dec 05, 2011
It's true the place is not calabar but cross river state anyway,
@somebody that ask if there is an airport close by, yes there is an airsrtip there.
@maclatunji, are u kiddin? If u have been to other states you give duke credit for what he did for cross river state.
Those places you named as the only urban centres are just localgovernment headquaters but far more developed and cleaner than some state capitals.I've travelled a lot accros the country and I can bet u,one will see something like "farewell to Osogbo" and will be wondering where really is d oshogbo city.
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by ImaIma1(f): 11:26am On Dec 05, 2011
obudu cattle ranch is a lovely place but the problem is going der. i dont think ders a flight going there strait. u hv 2 fly to calabar and obudu is about 5hrs from calabar.

1 Like

Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by lokopet: 11:31am On Dec 05, 2011
the cattle ranch is a place to visit @ violent regarding accommodation,transport cost. call this guy, uche arua, he is working in calabar airport, he can get u infos regarding airline to Obudu and alternative road transportation-08035803945.
Re: Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery by ImaIma1(f): 11:34am On Dec 05, 2011
yeah i think ever since an aircraft disappeard around tht area in 2008 i think, flights to tht side were put on hold. pple go der by road, which is abt 5hrs from d capital. i guess its worth the travel.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Memoirs From Chile / Aftermath Of Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Tanker Explosion (Graphic Photos) / Nigeria Airways: The Nigerian Picture That Will Bring Tears To Your Eyes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.