Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,604 members, 7,816,500 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1625986 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (2208) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:23pm On Dec 07, 2012
lol Poor Dwade, getting crucified by everyone.

Guys who rely on athleticism and never develop a slower paced "old man" game, never last long

Take the 1999 draft for example

Why has "Steve Francis" been out of the league for years...and Could not make a nba roster in a role of any importance for the Last 5 years.

Yet Andre Miller, who i believe was in that same draft along with Jason Terry are still key contributors in the league.

Now...in 2001...If i would have wrote...

"Yo I bet by 2012 Steve Francis will be a Nobody and the Younger Generation will have never even heard of him, and Jason Terry will be a Legend for Taking Out Lebron in the Finals"....

Everybody in 2001 would have laughed at me for writing some crazy sounding Bullshit Like that.

Because Steve Francis was Dwade before Dwade was Dwade......

Steve Francis was the Shitt............Till His Athleticism Left Him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUw_sTs1xz0

Talent+Technique+Skill>Talent+Athleticism

R.I.P To former Nba Legends and Athletic Immortals Steve Francis and Dwayne Wade....

Also Love to Marbury and Iverson in China, for trynna get that Money.

I ain't mad at cha. Get that Money However you can get it Fam. cool

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:40pm On Dec 07, 2012
~Royal~:

Guys who rely on athleticism and never develop a slower paced "old man" game, never last long

Why has "Steve Francis" been out of the league for years...and Could not make a nba roster in a role of any importance for the Last 5 years.

Yet Andre Miller, who i believe was in that same draft along with Jason Terry are still key contributors in the league.

"Yo I bet by 2012 Steve Francis will be a Nobody and the Younger Generation will have never even heard of him, and Jason Terry will be a Legend for Taking Out Lebron in the Finals"....

Everybody in 2001 would have laughed at me for writing some crazy sounding Bullshit Like that.

R.I.P To former Nba Legends and Athletic Immortals Steve Francis and Dwayne Wade....

Steve Francis aint no D.Wade bruv! He was good tho! Franchise could ball he and Starbury but they just weren't consistent enough.
Also don't think D.Wade has too much left in the tank! Once your knees start acting up you are more or less playing on borrowed time (unless u are Kobe Bryant) B.Roy and T-Mac are cases in point

Lol you left out T-Mac he's also in China! I think Kenyon Martin is there too
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:57pm On Dec 07, 2012
~Royal~:

Steve Francis aint no D.Wade bruv! He was good tho! Franchise could ball he and Starbury but they just weren't consistent enough.
Also don't think D.Wade has too much left in the tank! Once your knees start acting up you are more or less playing on borrowed time (unless u are Kobe Bryant) B.Roy and T-Mac are cases in point

Lol you left out T-Mac he's also in China! I think Kenyon Martin is there too
Re: The NBA Begins by occam(m): 4:05pm On Dec 07, 2012
A-40:
I remember telling a ninja on this thread that the Knicks may be on to something. This is the 2nd beatdown they are handing the Heat already this season this time in Miami sans Melo sans Stoudemire! The first game sans Stoudemire
I think one of the best decisions they made in a long time was not falling for the Linsanity hype.
Felton has been a massive upgrade so far.
At a point they need to look at themselves and realize they are better than getting slapped around by the Heat and Celts. Cos they have the talent and the depth and Mike Woodson is a very good coach

Where else can he go??

Lool Kobe is the exception not the norm

The Heat do need Wade to be Wade as LeBron has shown us in the past that he can't do it by his lonesome

I also thought not signing Lin was a mistake; not anymore. That was a smart move by Dolan. Did Dolan made a smart decision or luck?

Seriously this Knicks roster is so weird. They've got the 4 of leagues' oldest player (Kidd, Wallace, Camby & Thomas), 3 players with rings and 2 top players (Amare & Anthony) chasing their first ring.

Still early days yet so I'll wait until after the all star break for a better sense on this team. But that game last night? wow! what can I say
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 4:51pm On Dec 07, 2012
occam:

I also thought not signing Lin was a mistake; not anymore. That was a smart move by Dolan. Did Dolan made a smart decision or luck?

A bit of luck and a bit of common sense IMO I think Lin's injury towards the end of the season was key if he was healthy and provided a solid performance in the post-season may be he woulda gotten the money he wanted but since he wasn't it would have been unwise to offer a player 25milli for 3yrs on the back of a dozen or so regular season games. Felton has been a top-notch replacement however

occam:
Seriously this Knicks roster is so weird. They've got the 4 of leagues' oldest player (Kidd, Wallace, Camby & Thomas), 3 players with rings and 2 top players (Amare & Anthony) chasing their first ring.

Yeah its funny cos I thought guys like Kidd,Wallace,Camby and Thomas where done even James White. JR Smith,Steve Novak are shar
pshooters and Ronnie Brewer is a very good defender.

occam:
Still early days yet so I'll wait until after the all star break for a better sense on this team. But that game last night? wow! what can I say
Early days I agree but It would also be interesting to see how well Melo and Amare mesh together I still think they have to find a way to be one of the league's best 1-2 punches they certainly have the tools
I look around the East the Bulls have regressed,Celts are so-so and the Nets aren't ready yet. You really have to think the Knicks are the last line of defence against the Heat dominating that conference
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 4:53pm On Dec 07, 2012
occam:

A bit of luck and a bit of common sense IMO I think Lin's injury towards the end of the season was key if he was healthy and provided a solid performance in the post-season may be he woulda gotten the money he wanted but since he wasn't it would have been unwise to offer a player 25milli for 3yrs on the back of a dozen or so regular season games. Felton has been a top-notch replacement however

occam:

Yeah its funny cos I thought guys like Kidd,Wallace,Camby and Thomas where done even James White. JR Smith,Steve Novak are shar
pshooters and Ronnie Brewer is a very good defender.

occam:
Early days I agree but It would also be interesting to see how well Melo and Amare mesh together I still think they have to find a way to be one of the league's best 1-2 punches they certainly have the tools
I look around the East the Bulls have regressed,Celts are so-so and the Nets aren't ready yet. You really have to think the Knicks are the last line of defence against the Heat dominating that conference
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 4:54pm On Dec 07, 2012
occam:

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 07, 2012
Tmac, Ahh Man...Brings Back Memories Bro. What a Fine Talent he was.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:17pm On Dec 07, 2012
13pts in 35 seconds against the Spurs. He was one of the smoothest scorers around! Too bad he only played at one end of the floor and in his prime was stuck with another perennial crock like Yao Ming (those ninjas stayed injured)

An ode to T-Mac

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:40am On Dec 08, 2012
Rondo has taken comments about his sexuality very seriously. Just one assist shy of a triple-double

The 2 top scorers clash tonight
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 6:55am On Dec 08, 2012
Oooo come on Man, are u really serious about this Knick thing they are a shooting team, they live and die by 3 points with a huge turn over ratio, they do not play any form of defense, their defenders foul out before the end of the 4th quarter, those shots would not fall every day and i still maintain my stance about them being a first round, at best second round post season team.

Am not buying that circus...

The Celtics pierced my heart tonight, a triple double by Rando, but we should have won that game, we are over reliant on K.G, but i loved the performance, especially defensively as a unit.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:44am On Dec 08, 2012
Roland17: Oooo come on Man, are u really serious about this Knick thing they are a shooting team, they live and die by 3 points with a huge turn over ratio, they do not play any form of defense, their defenders foul out before the end of the 4th quarter, those shots would not fall every day and i still maintain my stance about them being a first round, at best second round post season team.
You can't win the NBA title without being a decent shooting team. Orlando got to the Finals and the Eastern Conference Finals the next year on the back of their shooting
They have depth!!! They've beaten the Heat by 20 pts twice!! Missing their best two players on one occasion
When you have 5 players shooting at 40% or more from beyond the arc you are a problem oh! Woulda been 6 Felton is at 39%
The East is at its weakest and if the Knicks play to their potential they should be thinking Conference Finals at least. Bulls are hopeless without Rose,Nets aint ready,Celts washed up (for now at least)

What a rush seeing two maestros go at it last night. If only Kobe had a dynamic partner like Westbrook!

The Rockets must be having a serious case of buyers remorse with Lin stinking up their joint
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:12pm On Dec 08, 2012
A-40:

You can't win the NBA title without being a decent shooting team. Orlando got to the Finals and the Eastern Conference Finals the next year on the back of their shooting
They have depth!!! They've beaten the Heat by 20 pts twice!! Missing their best two players on one occasion
When you have 5 players shooting at 40% or more from beyond the arc you are a problem oh! Woulda been 6 Felton is at 39%
The East is at its weakest and if the Knicks play to their potential they should be thinking Conference Finals at least. Bulls are hopeless without Rose,Nets aint ready,Celts washed up (for now at least)

What a rush seeing two maestros go at it last night. If only Kobe had a dynamic partner like Westbrook!

The Rockets must be having a serious case of buyers remorse with Lin stinking up their joint

And that was the 2008-2009 season when they got to the finals against the Lakers, but were able to win only one finals game because they were only a streaky shooting team without any alternatives and over the years they have remained that way and i do not need to tell u how poor they are doing.

OKC is another team with better shooters but the difference is they posses clutch players who can take over the game and also defend better, take Melo out of the roaster, who is the go to guy in the Knicks, what other strategy do they have? do they even play any sort of defense? shooting jumpers and three's can take u as far as the defense for a ring, you made mention of Felton, he's obviously improved this year, but with his turn over rates would u place a bet on him? they have a deeper bench this season, but i still do not see them as a potent threat.
Re: The NBA Begins by occam(m): 6:51pm On Dec 08, 2012
Roland17: Oooo come on Man, are u really serious about this Knick thing they are a shooting team, they live and die by 3 points with a huge turn over ratio, they do not play any form of defense, their defenders foul out before the end of the 4th quarter, those shots would not fall every day and i still maintain my stance about them being a first round, at best second round post season team.

The Celtics pierced my heart tonight, a triple double by Rando, but we should have won that game, we are over reliant on K.G, but i loved the performance, especially defensively as a unit.

They've got great shooters but I don't believe they're just a shooting team. Two nights ago the Heat there were so many openings. the Heat's 3 point defense was atrocious. In fact I think this year, the Heat is one of the worst team defending the 3 point shot. '

Lets wait couple of months and see how good the knicks are. But tell you man this team is loaded and right now are scary. Rasheed brings a certain edge to this team. Bosh and Joel Anthony were simply brushed aside. And trust Sheed with his trash talking. With a weak eastern conference they should be at the top 3. Remember the Knick have guys that have seen it all in the playoffs and even won rings.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:22am On Dec 09, 2012
Roland17:

And that was the 2008-2009 season when they got to the finals against the Lakers, but were able to win only one finals game because they were only a streaky shooting team without any alternatives and over the years they have remained that way and i do not need to tell u how poor they are doing.
But they got to the Finals regardless. I think calling these Knicks team a flat out 3pt shooting team is being economical with the truth. They are much better defensively as well

Roland17:
OKC is another team with better shooters but the difference is they posses clutch players who can take over the game and also defend better,
What shooters?? Take out Durant and they really don't have much by way of outside shooting! Why did they lose the Finals? One of the reasons was they lacked guys that could space the floor

Roland17:
Melo out of the roaster, who is the go to guy in the Knicks, what other strategy do they have? do they even play any sort of defense?
They beat the Heat in Miami without Melo! No Amare either! Who was the go to guy there?
They don't play any sort of defense but they've allowed fewer PPG than the Heat,Celtics,Thunder,Spurs,Lakers e.t.c

Roland17:
shooting jumpers and three's can take u as far as the defense for a ring, you made mention of Felton, he's obviously improved this year, but with his turn over rates would u place a bet on him? they have a deeper bench this season, but i still do not see them as a potent threat.
So long as there is variety shooting 3's and jumpers would take you very far!! The Heat had guys like Battier,Cole,Miller,Jones knocking it from downtown in last season's final. They went out and got Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis this season I wonder if they where acquired for their defensive skills grin grin

Felton is an upgrade on Lin thus far that's all I know

I'm not saying the Knicks would win it all but they are looking like a threat in a very weak East conference
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 1:25am On Dec 09, 2012
Am i the Only Basketball Fan in America right now who suspects that Kobe might be Juicing ...?

Man he had 21 year old legs last Night.

The moves and Explosiveness he displayed have not been seen by him since 2007.

17TH Year in the League, leading the league in scoring..with super high percentages...

I dunno...In this Age of Sports,You have to raise an EyeBrow

Oh Well

Let's Go Lakers.<3
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:45am On Dec 09, 2012
A Roseless bulls, were able to protect the perimeter, they stifled every three point attempt by the Knicks and what happened? as usual they faltered, no go player to the rescue, 8 in 23 three point shooting night, they were not able to even score 90 points.

No doubt Durant is King in OKC, but Westbrook and K. Martin are proven shooters as well, we have seen Westbrook take over games despite huge criticism, he's more athletic, consistent and a better jump shooter than any Knick with the Exception of Melo.

Am not contesting the fact they have a deeper bench, but for those hoping Amare's return would make them better are only joking, he's definitely not a good fit for that team.
Re: The NBA Begins by ektbear: 6:19am On Dec 09, 2012
Why is OJ Mayo beasting this season? I thought he sucked.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:35am On Dec 09, 2012
~Royal~:
Am i the Only Basketball Fan in America right now who suspects that Kobe might be Juicing ...?

Man he had 21 year old legs last Night.

The moves and Explosiveness he displayed have not been seen by him since 2007.

17TH Year in the League, leading the league in scoring..with super high percentages...

I dunno...In this Age of Sports,You have to raise an EyeBrow

Oh Well
Let's Go Lakers.<3
In your eyes everybody is juicing grin grin why can't it just be that Kobe is a beast? End of discussion
The number of mins he still puts in amazes me though

Roland17: A Roseless bulls, were able to protect the perimeter, they stifled every three point attempt by the Knicks and what happened? as usual they faltered, no go player to the rescue, 8 in 23 three point shooting night, they were not able to even score 90 points.

You expected them to beat both the Heat and Bulls on the road?? Without Amare or Melo? U really need to chill bro! They had a bad night. Even the Grizzlies lost at home so where are you going with this?

Roland17:
No doubt Durant is King in OKC, but Westbrook and K. Martin are proven shooters as well, we have seen Westbrook take over games despite huge criticism, he's more athletic, consistent and a better jump shooter than any Knick with the Exception of Melo.
Westbrook a proven shooter from beyond the arc??
Maybe you are missing the argument here. I'm talking about guys that can actually space the floor and draw defenders to the perimeter cos they have to be accounted for. Even Steve Novak is a better pure shooter than Westbrook
Westbrook only developed a decent pick n pop mid-range game two seasons ago or thereabout

Roland17:
Am not contesting the fact they have a deeper bench, but for those hoping Amare's return would make them better are only joking, he's definitely not a good fit for that team.

It could be that the previous coach didn't use him well. My biggest problem with Amare is that for his size he doesn't play defense which the Knicks need to be elite especially since his offense has dropped anyway you might be right but it remains to be seen
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 4:42pm On Dec 09, 2012
ekt_bear: Why is OJ Mayo beasting this season? I thought he sucked.
Naaa people forget that he was runner up for ROY to Derrick Rose
He was held back by his questionable work ethic and attitude but its good to see him launching a renaissance. It remains to be seen how he would mesh with Dirk when Dirk suits up
Re: The NBA Begins by ektbear: 9:23pm On Dec 09, 2012
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:51pm On Dec 10, 2012
The Lakers can't buy a win it seems
Re: The NBA Begins by r231(m): 10:55pm On Dec 10, 2012
A-40:
The Lakers can't buy a win it seems

Crazy team, crazy coach, no defence grin

I stopped watching them cus I knw they will lose anyways
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:52pm On Dec 10, 2012
r231:

Crazy team, crazy coach, no defence grin

I stopped watching them cus I knw they will lose anyways
The general consensus is let's wait for Nash to return. Looking at this Lakers team presently tho if Nash returns and the Lakers problem is solved then the Buss's might as well make him coach grin grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 12:30am On Dec 11, 2012
A-40:

In your eyes everybody is juicing grin grin why can't it just be that Kobe is a beast? End of discussion
The number of mins he still puts in amazes me though

The Jump in "Visible" Athletic Production from Year 15 to Year 16 and Year 17(16&17 Were/Are the Germany Years)

Are just extremely bizarre....

Kobe's Legs look "Young"....again

Very...

Very.....

Young.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 12:32am On Dec 11, 2012
Year 15 he couldn't beat anybody off the Dribble...

This was the year we got bounced out by Dallas.

He appeared to be slowing down considerably.

Assuming Kobe isn't juicing in this age of sports is like saying Juan Manuel Marquez was not Juicing 2 days ago when he Knocked Many Pac the Fucc Out Lmfao
(The Side By Side Comparisons of Marquez Body are Hilarious...Dude turned into the Incredible Hulk)
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:51am On Dec 11, 2012
~Royal~:
Year 15 he couldn't beat anybody off the Dribble...

This was the year we got bounced out by Dallas.

He appeared to be slowing down considerably.

Assuming Kobe isn't juicing in this age of sports is like saying Juan Manuel Marquez was not Juicing 2 days ago when he Knocked Many Pac the Fucc Out Lmfao
(The Side By Side Comparisons of Marquez Body are Hilarious...Dude turned into the Incredible Hulk)
You can't compare the effects juicing would have on a basketballer to a boxer. Basketball aint the quintessential strength sport!

As for Marquez well I won't argue about that his trainer is a known steroid dealer. On the flipside Manny was due a loss let's face it he has slowed down a step or two no KO's or TKO's in 3 years

~Royal~:

The Jump in "Visible" Athletic Production from Year 15 to Year 16 and Year 17(16&17 Were/Are the Germany Years)

Are just extremely bizarre....

Kobe's Legs look "Young"....again

Very...

Very.....

Young.
Lol is Tim Duncan juicing too?? Kobe is a bull! Stubborn and strong-a$$ nigga some players are just like that! Remember Abdul Jabbar was putting insane numbers at 38
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 12:51am On Dec 11, 2012
Nash's return would not solve the problems bedeviling the Lakers as a team, his return might only increase the number of points scored by the Lakers in every game and not the number scored by the opponents, Mike was a mistake and Jim buss should know that by now.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 1:51am On Dec 11, 2012
Tim Duncan isn't leading the League in Scoring

Kobe is leading the league in scoring in his 17th year.

For the rest of the Nba Season...

pay close attention to how Old and Slow Dwade loooks(Knee Surgery Offseason and a Myriad of injuries)

and then...

Pay Close attention to how Kobe is moving.....

You tell me who looks like he is in their 17th year...and has played over 51 thousand nba minutes...

vs Who looks like they just recently turned 30 and came in the league in 2003.

Kobe looks younger than Dwade all over a sudden

And just 3 years ago...Dwade was running circles around a much slower...seemingly Aging Kobe, During the Christmas day game many years ago

Also...explain why kobe dropped 16 pounds right before the Olympic games...

Then put the weight right back on before the season...

Olympics dont play that....Olympic Drug testing is more strict than Nba Testing.

I am a Laker fan...But not a Blind Fool

I still love him, but at this point it's obvious

17TH Year in the league...over 51 thousand minutes on your legs...

And now you are suddenly leading the league in scoring when a few years ago you could not even blow by shawn marion in the mavericks series...

I still Love him though.
cool
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:03pm On Dec 11, 2012
~Royal~:
[color=#000099][i]Tim Duncan isn't leading the League in Scoring

Kobe is leading the league in scoring in his 17th year.

For the rest of the Nba Season...

pay close attention to how Old and Slow Dwade loooks(Knee Surgery Offseason and a Myriad of injuries)

He isn't leading the league in scoring but he is averaging 18pts and 10 rebounds at 36 its not like Tim Duncan has ever led the league in scoring but Kobe is a high-volume shooter and the alpha dog in his team! M.J was still balling at 34 by the way

~Royal~:

and then...

Pay Close attention to how Kobe is moving.....

You tell me who looks like he is in their 17th year...and has played over 51 thousand nba minutes...

vs Who looks like they just recently turned 30 and came in the league in 2003.

Kobe looks younger than Dwade all over a sudden

And just 3 years ago...Dwade was running circles around a much slower...seemingly Aging Kobe, During the Christmas day game many years ago
Lol this dude has never seen a conspiracy theory he didn't like
Since Kobe joined the league. Who has suffered more injuries? Who had surgery that made them miss the Olympics? Not forgetting that Kobe is one of the toughest competitors in the game

~Royal~:

Also...explain why kobe dropped 16 pounds right before the Olympic games...

Then put the weight right back on before the season...

Olympics dont play that....Olympic Drug testing is more strict than Nba Testing.
Anyone can drop or regain weight anytime. What's 16pounds? Barely 8 kg lol that's hardly much

~Royal~:

I am a Laker fan...But not a Blind Fool

I still love him, but at this point it's obvious

17TH Year in the league...over 51 thousand minutes on your legs...

And now you are suddenly leading the league in scoring when a few years ago you could not even blow by shawn marion in the mavericks series...
LeBron couldn't blow by Shawn Marion and couldn't stop Jason Terry last year as well should we say he is juicing too?
There's a perfectly reasonable explanation which is Kobe takes the most shots and is essentially surrounded by guys who are not pulling their weight offensively! I doubt Kobe would be leading the scorer's chart if he isn't surrounded by offensively challenged ninjas like Dwight,Metta World Peace,Chris Duhon e.t.c
Re: The NBA Begins by r231(m): 2:08am On Dec 12, 2012
can't believe cavs are schooling dis fools undecided undecided

what have they turned this team to

smh
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 2:52am On Dec 12, 2012
Can the Lakers make the Playoffs?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (2208) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.