Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (1386) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1624010 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1383) (1384) (1385) (1386) (1387) (1388) (1389) ... (2207) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by darkelf: 12:26pm On Oct 29, 2019
A40:
I'm sure you were one of those that scoffed at those that labeled Messi the next Maradona. Oya tell me why Trae Young cannot be the next Steph Curry or what was present in Steph's game in his second season that Trae Young is lacking

Gimme one reason I'll wait.

Oga, its Still too early. Simple
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 12:27pm On Oct 29, 2019
The argument that Trae young could very well be the next Curry is not far-fetched, but there is one thing to note. We still have to wait till the end of the season to make a solid comparison between their respective second seasons, otherwise all we can talk about is ceiling/ potential. Nothing more.
A40:
I'm sure you were one of those that scoffed at those that labeled Messi the next Maradona. Oya tell me why Trae Young cannot be the next Steph Curry or what was present in Steph's game in his second season that Trae Young is lacking

Gimme one reason I'll wait.
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 12:35pm On Oct 29, 2019
The most sensitive fan base? You need to reboot your brain bro. Honestly, do you know what sensitive even means? We cannot even say Kawhi is currently better than LeBron in peace. Can anything be more sensitive than that? Gerrara here man.
KarnBarlow:

Like i said, steph has the most sensitive fan base partly because its mostly made up of teenagers. No one gets slandered like bron and you never see bron fans go into hiding.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:48pm On Oct 29, 2019
darkelf:

There is no such thing as too early. We are simply projecting into the future which is what makes Sports fun. With what Trae Young has shown compared with what Steph did when he entered the league and the fact that Trae Young at this stage of his career is already a better passer than Steph was in Steph's second year, there is nothing to suggest that he cannot be as good as Steph.

When Ray Allen started no one ever thought Steph Curry would be as good as him but what happened? You guys need to stop getting in your feelings

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by darkelf: 1:51pm On Oct 29, 2019
A40:
There is no such thing as too early. We are simply projecting into the future which is what makes Sports fun. With what Trae Young has shown compared with what Steph did when he entered the league and the fact that Trae Young at this stage of his career is already a better passer than Steph was in Steph's second year, there is nothing to suggest that he cannot be as good as Steph.

When Ray Allen started no one ever thought Steph Curry would be as good as him but what happened? You guys need to stop getting in your feelings

You're the one more ho is getting in your feelings bro. You're the one projecting into the future just after 1 and half seasons comparing him to someone who has spent 10 seasons.
Re: The NBA Begins by darkelf: 1:53pm On Oct 29, 2019
benji93:
The most sensitive fan base? You need to reboot your brain bro. Honestly, do you know what sensitive even means? We cannot even say Kawhi is currently better than LeBron in peace. Can anything be more sensitive than that? Gerrara here man.

I saw his opinion and I laughed.

Steph has the most nature minded fan base. Just watch Lakers fans this season after they fail yo win the title. You'll start hearing excuses flying about. I'm watching and waiting
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:55pm On Oct 29, 2019
benji93:
The argument that Trae young could very well be the next Curry is not far-fetched, but there is one thing to note. We still have to wait till the end of the season to make a solid comparison between their respective second seasons, otherwise all we can talk about is ceiling/ potential. Nothing more.
So since you agree it is not far fetched why is everyone up in arms? We are saying the comparisons are legit and he has the potential to be a Steph. We're not saying he is at Steph's level now. The point is even I who was not a believer in Trae Young has been forced to rethink my previous position

This kid was 19-3-8 in his rookie year. He is ahead of schedule whether we like it or not.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:03pm On Oct 29, 2019
darkelf:

You're the one more ho is getting in your feelings bro. You're the one projecting into the future just after 1 and half seasons comparing him to someone who has spent 10 seasons.
What in God's name is this dude on about? So we need to wait 10 seasons before we project into the future? Do you even know what projecting means?

Did Patrick Mahomes need to play for 15 seasons before people began projecting his future and ceiling?

What in Trae Young's skillset do you see that makes you believe he cannot be a Steph in the future.

Is he at Steph level now? No.

Can he possibly be as good as Steph in future. Yes. Based on what we have seen so far

How hard can that be to possibly understand

4 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Izanghi(m): 2:05pm On Oct 29, 2019
According to Durant, the best team mates he'll ever play with are :ibaka, harden, green and irving. The guy no put westbrook and curry, but that's his choice and opinion.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:08pm On Oct 29, 2019
Izanghi:
According to Durant, the best team mates he'll ever play with are :ibaka, harden, green and irving. The guy no put westbrook and curry, but that's his choice and opinion.
Lol that's the irony of the KD and Draymond fight. People don't know Draymond was the closest to KD on that team. I think na wetin pain KD pass and why he was so hurt about his utterances.

When your guy insult you one kind e dey pain pass stranger wey you no too close to
Re: The NBA Begins by darkelf: 2:12pm On Oct 29, 2019
A40:
What in God's name is this dude on about? So we need to wait 10 seasons before we project into the future? Do you even know what projecting means?

Did Patrick Mahomes need to play for 15 seasons before people began projecting his future and ceiling?

What in Trae Young's skillset do you see that makes you believe he cannot be a Steph in the future.

Is he at Steph level now? No.

Can he possibly be as good as Steph in future. Yes. Based on what we have seen so far

How hard can that be to possibly understand

Its still too early.

Ilk five him at least 4 seasons. He has to be consistent for 4 seasons
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 2:18pm On Oct 29, 2019
As much as I respect those numbers especially 8 assists, his field goal was bad:41.8%. So he still has some catching up to do in that regard. If he can add 4- 5 % to that this season perhaps we can revisit the conversation. The projections are in order though. Plus if you really read my comments, I wasn't exactly treating your argument as garbage. I was indirectly referring to the other guy that clearly stated he's top 5 point guard right now.
A40:
So since you agree it is not far fetched why is everyone up in arms? We are saying the comparisons are legit and he has the potential to be a Steph. We're not saying he is at Steph's level now. The point is even I who was not a believer in Trae Young has been forced to rethink my previous position

This kid was 19-3-8 in his rookie year. He is ahead of schedule whether we like it or not.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 5:08pm On Oct 29, 2019
benji93:
As much as I respect those numbers especially 8 assists, his field goal was bad:41.8%. So he still has some catching up to do in that regard. If he can add 4- 5 % to that this season perhaps we can revisit the conversation. The projections are in order though. Plus if you really read my comments, I wasn't exactly treating your argument as garbage. I was indirectly referring to the other guy that clearly stated he's top 5 point guard right now.

LOL! Where? At this point i'm convinced you cant read.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 29, 2019
darkelf:

I hope you will be this loud at the end of the season. Just after a few games and you're rushing to conclusions.

It seems you're still pained by their wins and dominance over the last 5 years.

Calm down. Its not that deep. Its a joke. You lot can't take it but you can dish it out. So darn sensitive! SMH!
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 29, 2019
benji93:

Maybe going ape sh-t because I said someone has the potential to be as good as or better than steph?

Maybe saying you want to avoid the internet because people are slandering Steph?

Lebron fans can be truculent but people say all sorts of unfounded things against him that lebron fans don't respond to because we are used to it. But when you can't even entertain harmless comparisons thats the height of sensitivity. Its embarrassing!
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 5:32pm On Oct 29, 2019
Mike Conley was supposedly the most underrated player in league. Finally gets a huge contract and a chance to compete for the Chip and he turns into literally the worst player in the league. This man is laying more bricks than KCP. SMH, I really hope he bounces back, rooting for him and Utah to make the West interesting this year.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 5:46pm On Oct 29, 2019
darkelf:

Its still too early.

Ilk five him at least 4 seasons. He has to be consistent for 4 seasons
Why stop at 4? Why not 40
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 5:59pm On Oct 29, 2019
darkelf:

Sometimes you just have to look past the comparison which may trigger you as a fan and see things for what they are. Trae over 82 games, last season as a rookie, averaged 19.1pts, 3.7rbs and 8.1asts and over 3 games this season is averaging 34pts 6rbs and 9asts (which I know is early).
They are not saying he is better, they are not saying he can be better but as a Curry fan, he has the closest game to Curry in the league right now. Watch his games or highlights if you can. He did this over 82 games last season. There's no reason he can't keep up or even get better. I don't think he can beat Steph's efficiency because of how their teams offense are set up however, as a rookie, the boy is good.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 6:02pm On Oct 29, 2019
benji93:
That was largely due to his poor start. All I'm saying and trying to say is the comparison at the moment is not as laughable as when he first got into the league. There is something there
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 6:09pm On Oct 29, 2019
Kyrie Irving sha.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 6:24pm On Oct 29, 2019
SmooshCHN:
Kyrie Irving sha.

Convinced hes bipolar.

Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 8:50pm On Oct 29, 2019
Don't let me start mentioning the shit lebronsexuals do cos it's uncountable.
Do you have a problem with comprehension? You said he is a much better passer than Curry and that was what i had a bone of contention with. And why would I debate 'potential' with you given it's context herein. Did i refute your claim that he has the potential to be Curry or even better? You clearly stated Curry is no longer himself, or you can't remember your own posts too? These were the statements I took up. And I like your honesty with respect to admitting LeBron fans are turculent, but I could throw in "overly" in there. grin.
KarnBarlow:

Maybe going ape sh-t because I said someone has the potential to be as good as or better than steph?

Maybe saying you want to avoid the internet because people are slandering Steph?

Lebron fans can be truculent but people say all sorts of unfounded things against him that lebron fans don't respond to because we are used to it. But when you can't even entertain harmless comparisons thats the height of sensitivity. Its embarrassing!
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 9:25pm On Oct 29, 2019
benji93:
Don't let me start mentioning the shit lebronsexuals do cos it's uncountable.
Do you have a problem with comprehension? You said he is a much better passer than Curry and that was what i had a bone of contention with. And why would I debate 'potential' with you given it's context herein. Did i refute your claim that he has the potential to be Curry or even better? You clearly stated Curry is no longer himself, or you can't remember your own posts too? These were the statements I took up. And I like your honesty with respect to admitting LeBron fans are turculent, but I could throw in "overly" in there. grin.

I still stand by what i said, trae is a better passer than steph. I didnt say he was better than steph, hes just a better passer. Then you brought up assist numbers and westbrook. I know people clown westbrook and i may not be his biggest fan, but arguing that steph is a better passer than brodie is sheer ignorance.

Lebron, Chris Paul, Rondo, Westbrook, Trae Young, Harden, Jokic, simmons, lonzo, doncic. Put them in any order but steph is not a better passer than any of these guys. Doesnt mean hes not better than all of them bar lebron and maybe harden, but as a passer hes simply not as good as them whether you want to admit it or not. Denying that is just wishful thinking.

You literally spent you last few posts arguing about traes potential. In fact you said we shouldnt even project about his potential at all. Now you're back tracking? LOL! Maybe its you who doesn't understand what you're typing let alone what others are. You start an argument just for the sake of it, just because curry is mentioned and you dont even know where you're headed with it.

I said curry wasnt himself but if you didn't pick up the sarcastic undertones behind it especially after the lebron debate that came right before it then thats on you.

I'm a lebron fan but if you followed this thread long enough you'd know i'm one of the first to criticize him after a bad game or when he doesnt look himself.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 29, 2019
I can argue that steph curry isnt even the best passer on his team. DLo and Draymond can both lay legitimate claims to that.
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 11:25pm On Oct 29, 2019
You do have a problem Man, where did I mention that Young has got no potential. Maybe you should quote it. For someone following this thread day and night you seem to have a short term memory. The first time I seriously considered your posts was when you argued Trae' s a better passer than Curry, and i further argued you shouldn't bring him into the conversation of top 5 point guard as he has another outstanding point guard in Doncic to compete against. I stand by my argument, and don't come here with your 'ignorance'. Anyone that disagrees with lebronsexuals is ignorant. I have said it, and i will say it again, if Stephen Curry is put in the same system Westbrook thrived he would even do better. Take it or leave it. Are you sure you are ok. Before you quote me again go and read your posts again. You stated clearly, 'Now that Curry is no longer himself, who is now the best point guard in the game' what does that mean if not knocking him down the perking order after 1 game. You even found a way to bring Trae into the conversation. Don't mention me again if you don't have a better argument. Peace.
KarnBarlow:

I still stand by what i said, trae is a better passer than steph. I didnt say he was better than steph, hes just a better passer. Then you brought up assist numbers and westbrook. I know people clown westbrook and i may not be his biggest fan, but arguing that steph is a better passer than brodie is sheer ignorance.

Lebron, Chris Paul, Rondo, Westbrook, Trae Young, Harden, Jokic, simmons, lonzo, doncic. Put them in any order but steph is not a better passer than any of these guys. Doesnt mean hes not better than all of them bar lebron and maybe harden, but as a passer hes simply not as good as them whether you want to admit it or not. Denying that is just wishful thinking.

You literally spent you last few posts arguing about traes potential. In fact you said we shouldnt even project about his potential at all. Now you're back tracking? LOL! Maybe its you who doesn't understand what you're typing let alone what others are. You start an argument just for the sake of it, just because curry is mentioned and you dont even know where you're headed with it.

I said curry wasnt himself but if you didn't pick up the sarcastic undertones behind it especially after the lebron debate that came right before it then thats on you.

I'm a lebron fan but if you followed this thread long enough you'd know i'm one of the first to criticize him after a bad game or when he doesnt look himself.

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 11:31pm On Oct 29, 2019
benji93:
You do have a problem Man, where did I mention that Young has got no potential. Maybe you should quote it. For someone following this thread day and night you seem to have a short term memory. The first time I seriously considered your posts was when you argued Trae' s a better passer than Curry, and i further argued you shouldn't bring him into the conversation of top 5 point guard as he has another outstanding point guard in Doncic to compete against. I stand by my argument, and don't come here with your 'ignorance'. Anyone that disagrees with lebronsexuals is ignorant. I have said it, and i will say it again, if Stephen Curry is put in the same system Westbrook thrived he would even do better. Take it or leave it. Are you sure you are ok. Before you quote me again go and read your posts again. You stated clearly, 'Now that Curry is no longer himself, who is now the best point guard in the game' what does that mean if not knocking him down the perking order after 1 game. You even found a way to bring Trae into the conversation. Don't mention me again if you don't have a better argument. Peace.

Hot takes are part of sports commentary. Don't sweat it.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 11:32pm On Oct 29, 2019
SmooshCHN:
Kyrie Irving sha.

I watched some of his highlights. Man is just playing Kobe basketball.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 11:38pm On Oct 29, 2019
SmooshCHN:
Sometimes you just have to look past the comparison which may trigger you as a fan and see things for what they are. Trae over 82 games, last season as a rookie, averaged 19.1pts, 3.7rbs and 8.1asts and over 3 games this season is averaging 34pts 6rbs and 9asts (which I know is early).
They are not saying he is better, they are not saying he can be better but as a Curry fan, he has the closest game to Curry in the league right now. Watch his games or highlights if you can. He did this over 82 games last season. There's no reason he can't keep up or even get better. I don't think he can beat Steph's efficiency because of how their teams offense are set up however, as a rookie, the boy is good.

Many of those arguments are really just knee-jerk.

Every single NBA player can put up great stats in spurts or for a while. Legendary status comes from doing it over time. Trae has potential but same us got angry when people said Lebron had the potential to be better than Jordan. And every now and then we like to show he did not quite measure up. The argument is neither here nor there.

For Trae to show any potential there had to be Curry. In fact, Curry's success is the reason Trae was drafted. In Curry's early days he was not allowed to shoot from any angle. He was even playing fiddle to Monta Ellis apart from the ankle injuries. It was his success later that made people feel they should not muzzle an unconscious shooter which birthed Trae. So the people suing for time before those comparisons are made actually have a point.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 11:41pm On Oct 29, 2019
Izanghi:

They asked him position by position.

And you would be a novice if you thought he won't mention Kyrie who had already called KD the best player in basketball even when he was still playing with Lebron. They are friends.

Also, KD went to The Nets because of Kyrie. Remember, they are yet to even play together as a team. That was a politically correct answer.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 11:42pm On Oct 29, 2019
benji93:

LOL.

I said Trae can be as good as or better than Curry, then you got all in your feelings saying we shouldn't compare him to curry, Why cant i speculate about how good a player can be? since when did he can be as good as become hes as good as? what is wrong with you?

I have literally never claimed trae young is one of the best point guards in the league, if i did then please show me where. The only time i even mentioned top 5 and trae young is when talking about passers. And then i said he will put himself in the discussion as one of the best point guards in the league.

Now if that is how you got me claiming trae young is one of the best 5 point guards in the league its either you don't know basketball or you should sue your english teacher.

As to doncic and trae young, doncic is closer to his ceiling than trae because he has been playing at a high level (euro league) longer than trae. But this is a different argument entirely.

Again, anyone who claims that steph is a better passer than brodie is simply ignorant. No two ways about it. System or not there are no glimpses in currys passes that show the vision and technicality that brodie or any of the other guys i mentioned have. You can talk about system however you want but thats speculative, i cant comment on what i can't see. Except you are claiming to be clairvoyant.

Sarcasm is for smart people. You lot claimed lebron was washed after 1 game (which someone pointed out to you BTW) immediately before that, you didnt seem to use the same excuse then so i said steph is washed. i said now that hes over 30 he cant carry a team anymore and then i said hes no longer the best PG in the league, same way you lot claimed bron isnt the best player in the league.

Like i said, when it comes to steph you have tunnel vision, you just know you have to defend him for no reason at all even when theres nothing to defend him from.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 11:42pm On Oct 29, 2019
darkelf:

I saw his opinion and I laughed.

Steph has the most nature minded fan base. Just watch Lakers fans this season after they fail yo win the title. You'll start hearing excuses flying about. I'm watching and waiting

They won't praise San Antonio Spurs who have not lost but will praise Lakers for any win.

Lakers lose by 10 points. It is nothing.

Warriors win by 11 points. It is nothing

That should show you something. Fanaticism.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 11:44pm On Oct 29, 2019
benji93:
What is your problem man? you seem to be pained that the GSW got a win. No body claims GSW is an elite team, we understand we are gonna be having a tumultuous season, you don't have to keep reminding us.

Please take note that every analyst who said GSW will not make the playoffs did so knowing Curry, Dray and Dlo were still there.

Watch those same people turn around and argue that GSW only win because they have all-stars. You will be here.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1383) (1384) (1385) (1386) (1387) (1388) (1389) ... (2207) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.