Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,444 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (1525) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1625187 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1522) (1523) (1524) (1525) (1526) (1527) (1528) ... (2207) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 3:27am On Mar 12, 2020
Damn man. What kind of year is this??
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 3:28am On Mar 12, 2020
Tom Hanks too. And his wife
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 3:34am On Mar 12, 2020
Roland17:
The league has suspended the season until further notice after a Utah Jazz player tested positive to the Corona Virus. The player is Rudy Gobert.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28887560/nba-suspends-season-further-notice-player-tests-positive-coronavirus
Right call by the NBA. It's just sad though.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:49am On Mar 12, 2020
The 7 teams that have come in contact with the Utah Jazz over the last 14 days have been placed in self quarantine.....including the Celtics..

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 7:18am On Mar 12, 2020
chic2pimp:

You can also say AD is proving doubters wrong by helping carry this Lakers team.
Year right
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 8:08am On Mar 12, 2020
A40:

A40 is not a wind vane like most of these fanboys. I have always held him to a Higher standard that is why I opined that he underperformed with the Pelicans.
We know how to dig up archives too, Lol. You didn't have to be so selective grin

A40:

Don't get it twisted. AD should have led the Pelicans to more wins. That is not debatable. However one must also point out the team is playing far worse than even it's floor level. You can't tell me with a straight face you expected the Pelicans to be the second worst team in the West

A40:

Indictment on his mentality. A #1 pick in his prime should not be joining a team where he is being questioned as the best player. Had he gone to Boston for instance with the season he is having do you think anyone would not have him as a runaway MVP candidate?

AD did not consistently show his ability to lead his team to anything other than the lottery. His first chance to do that and he opts to be a second banana to Bron.

Is he good enough to lead? Lol if he was he wouldn't join the Lakers so that's pretty self explanatory

Great as AD is do you think anyone would ever mention him in the same breath as a Duncan, Dirk or Karl Malone? No!

A40:
What was the disrespect? That he failed to lead New Orleans? Did we lie?

That Giannis is comparable to him. Is that disrespect?

Because he has the luxury of playing with LeNomad we no go hear word?

A40:

He won one playoff series in 7 years. That's not good enough for a transcendent talent. Stop making excuses. We saw Dirk lead the Mavs to Finals and multiple series wins with Josh Howard as his second best player

He was supposed to make more than 2 playoff appearances in 7 years. Even the much maligned Harden is doing it with Houston and he didn't let his team crumble when his top 2 options get hurt

I did not agree there was absolutely nothing he could do with the squad? Where are you getting that from? I said perhaps it was not entirely his fault not that he could not do anything with the squad. They are clearly underperforming like they did even with AD

A40:

Josh Howard was literally the only guy that made All-star in Dirk's first run to the Finals.

What prime?? Is this a joke?? Shawn Marion 33, Terry 34, Kidd was 37 bruh, Stackhouse was 32 back in 06, Butler missed their title winning season. Wait did you just mention Gerald Green? Did he even play?? Lmaooooooo you're name dropping at this point. Tyson Chandler was a cast-off from New Orleans that failed his medical don't try to paint him like he was some star. In isolation these were all role players

AD had Holiday, Tyreke Evans, Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon. All young and were good enough to be led to playoff contention by a transcendent talent

Monty Williams was their coach and he's hardly a scrub

Harden maximized the limited talent he had, AD underperformed with his. Nothing wrong in admitting this

Yes his 1-2 punch(LeNomad) just happened to be another top 5 player and some would argue still the best player in the league. How many elite players will be teammates with LeNomad and slack? The likes of Giannis, Kawhi did not need LeNomad before running things

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:15am On Mar 12, 2020
steady986:

We know how to dig up archives too, Lol. You didn't have to be so selective grin
Are you serious at all? How does this quote not highlight what my opinion about AD has always been? And the fact that I expected him to do better at New Orleans. If I didn't rate him highly why foist such expectations on his shoulder?

Where is the contradiction?
Re: The NBA Begins by chic2pimp(m): 10:31am On Mar 12, 2020
Not surprised at all. It was only a matter of time before an NBA player caught it especially with the lax attitude your govt has shown over there.

Roland17:
The league has suspended the season until further notice after a Utah Jazz player tested positive to the Corona Virus. The player is Rudy Gobert.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28887560/nba-suspends-season-further-notice-player-tests-positive-coronavirus
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 10:40am On Mar 12, 2020
chic2pimp:
Not surprised at all. It was only a matter of time before an NBA player caught it especially with the lax attitude your govt has shown over there.
I laugh in Nigerian government. grin grin
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 10:55am On Mar 12, 2020
A40:

Are you serious at all? How does this quote not highlight what my opinion about AD has always been? And the fact that I expected him to do better at New Orleans. If I didn't rate him highly why foist such expectations on his shoulder?

Where is the contradiction?
So why did you bash him for not leading the Pels to success only for you to now praise him for the Lakers' success this year?

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:07am On Mar 12, 2020
steady986:

So why did you bash him for not leading the Pels to success only for you to now praise him for the Lakers' success this year?
Stop asking me jejune questions. A player of AD's caliber should have led the Pelicans to more playoff appearances. That one is sacrosanct

I'm praising him for the Lakers because every single metric points to him being equally responsible for their success. He has sufficient help in another top 5 player in the league(some say he's the best)

Is Giannis playing with anyone as good as AD or Bron?

Again I'm asking you. Where is the contradiction? Abi what did you think you proved by quoting my posts
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 11:25am On Mar 12, 2020
A40:
Stop asking me jejune questions. A player of AD's caliber should have led the Pelicans to more playoff appearances. That one is sacrosanct

I'm praising him for the Lakers because every single metric points to him being equally responsible for their success. He has sufficient help in another top 5 player in the league(some say he's the best)

Is Giannis playing with anyone as good as AD or Bron?

Again I'm asking you. Where is the contradiction? Abi what did you think you proved by quoting my posts
But AD had similar numbers with the Pels, why didn't you cut him some slack? He now plays with the Lakers with such numbers and he's suddenly being praised.

This comment especially was made by you in December, 2 months into the season

A40:
What was the disrespect? That he failed to lead New Orleans? Did we lie?

That Giannis is comparable to him. Is that disrespect?

Because he has the luxury of playing with LeNomad we no go hear word?

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 11:52am On Mar 12, 2020
Carrying and Co-carrying are two different things. grin. Propelling a team to a winning record while playing alongside another superstar is not carrying. Co-carrying doesn't have to be 50/50. We can still discuss the value of each co-carrier. Why are you making it seem as if we criticised ADs game. None of us argued against his lack of talent or wherewithal. Our argument is he couldn't carry that team, and that is a fact. What we know now is that AD can co-carry, with another superstar, but the argument about his inability to carry NOP still holds
steady986:

Let's assume anybody said that. At least he's now proving his worth while playing with LeBron. For those who said he couldn't carry a team, what excuse do they have?

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 11:57am On Mar 12, 2020
Stop being unnecessarily strong-headed. Nobody is praising AD, as you know yourself, he's done this before. We are only punching holes in your Lebron for MVP campaign. If you didn't get this then i am very sorry for you. At least that was my point, unless @A40 thinks differently. grin
steady986:

But AD had similar numbers with the Pels, why didn't you cut him some slack? He now plays with the Lakers with such numbers and he's suddenly being praised.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by chic2pimp(m): 12:35pm On Mar 12, 2020
SmooshCHN:

I laugh in Nigerian government. grin grin

It might be a facade or maybe the Hot weather has helped a ton but it seems the Nigerian govt is handling it better than most.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 12:42pm On Mar 12, 2020
The sad thing is we had 2 months to put measures in place. And somehow waited until it got out of hand. Yankee is learning a hard lesson Nigerians already know. No matter how many brilliant citizens you have, bad leadership will render it useless.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:12pm On Mar 12, 2020
steady986:

Was he a surefire DPOY candidate like now? He was always a good defender but never consistently dominated like he should have considering his size. Can only point to two seasons of elite defense. One of the reasons the Pelicans always struggled was because they couldn't stop anybody. A guy like AD was supposed to set the tone, he didn't always do so

What is even your argument? What was supposed to be the record of a team with Anthony Davis and LeBron? If Chris Paul and Harden could win 65+ games their first season then I don't know why you're gleefully celebrating what is par for the course.

Put AD with Harden, Steph Curry the outcome will be similar so I don't get your argument
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:14pm On Mar 12, 2020
birdman:
The sad thing is we had 2 months to put measures in place. And somehow waited until it got out of hand. Yankee is learning a hard lesson Nigerians already know. No matter how many brilliant citizens you have, bad leadership will render it useless.
Lmaooooooo shebi na una open eye vote for Trump
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 1:15pm On Mar 12, 2020
A40:
Damn man. What kind of year is this??

A year to be watchful and deliberate.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:16pm On Mar 12, 2020
benji93:
Carrying and Co-carrying are two different things. grin. Propelling a team to a winning record while playing alongside another superstar is not carrying. Co-carrying doesn't have to be 50/50. We can still discuss the value of each co-carrier. Why are you making it seem as if we criticised ADs game. None of us argued against his lack of talent or wherewithal. Our argument is he couldn't carry that team, and that is a fact. What we know now is that AD can co-carry, with another superstar, but the argument about his inability to carry NOP still holds
Don't mind these wind vane people. Let them be feigning ignorance of simple English
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 2:26pm On Mar 12, 2020
chic2pimp:

It might be a facade or maybe the Hot weather has helped a ton but it seems the Nigerian govt is handling it better than most.
I was at the airport three days ago and I can confirm that we are not. But I'm grateful with how things are going. cheesy
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 3:07pm On Mar 12, 2020
benji93:
Stop being unnecessarily strong-headed. Nobody is praising AD, as you know yourself, he's done this before. We are only punching holes in your Lebron for MVP campaign. If you didn't get this then i am very sorry for you. At least that was my point, unless @A40 thinks differently. grin
Oh, you're changing your mind? AD doesn't deserve to be MVP again? cheesy
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 3:18pm On Mar 12, 2020
You are a lost cause, man.
steady986:

Oh, you're changing your mind? AD doesn't deserve to be MVP again? cheesy
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 3:21pm On Mar 12, 2020
A40:
Was he a surefire DPOY candidate like now? He was always a good defender but never consistently dominated like he should have considering his size. Can only point to two seasons of elite defense. One of the reasons the Pelicans always struggled was because they couldn't stop anybody. A guy like AD was supposed to set the tone, he didn't always do so

What is even your argument? What was supposed to be the record of a team with Anthony Davis and LeBron? If Chris Paul and Harden could win 65+ games their first season then I don't know why you're gleefully celebrating what is par for the course.

Put AD with Harden, Steph Curry the outcome will be similar so I don't get your argument
All these okoto you're yarning. I want to know what has changed about AD's game that makes him an MVP candidate ahead of LeBron. He has always been a defensive monster, I don't know what you're talking about. 3 time all defensive team and 3 time blocks leader should tell you that. Don't give the excuse that he's playing better D and so deserves MVP
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 3:22pm On Mar 12, 2020
benji93:
You are a lost cause, man.
I thought as much. You ain't gat nothing to say, run along boy

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 3:35pm On Mar 12, 2020
steady986:

All these okoto you're yarning. I want to know what has changed about AD's game that makes him an MVP candidate ahead of LeBron. He has always been a defensive monster, I don't know what you're talking about. 3 time all defensive team and 3 time blocks leader should tell you that. Don't give the excuse that he's playing better D and so deserves MVP
Shut up my friend. This is Anthony Davis's best defensive season and the first time he's openly been touted as a DPOY. This was not the case in NO

Unless you can show where I or anyone else predicted LeNomad and Davis will not deliver and be contenders you are making absolute noise.

They have complimented each other and it was automatic the minute LeNomad and AD formed a team that the Lakers were going to be a contender. Bron doesn't have to go full throttle every night because AD can share the load and vice versa.

I can credit Davis for the success of the Lakers and also opine that he underperformed in New Orleans. Both are not mutually exclusive
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 3:39pm On Mar 12, 2020
SmooshCHN:
I was at the airport three days ago and I can confirm that we are not. But I'm grateful with how things are going. cheesy

Were you entering the country or leaving the country?
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 3:47pm On Mar 12, 2020
In 2005-06, these were Steve Nash's numbers:

18.8 ppg
10.5 apg
4.2 rpg
0.2 bpg
0.8 spg
12.4 WS
23.3 PER
4.9 VORP

Meanwhile, his teammate Shawn Marion averaged;

21.8 ppg
1.8 apg
11.8 rpg
1.7 bpg
2.0 spg
14.6 WS
23.6 PER
5.6 VORP

Guess who won MVP that season grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 3:50pm On Mar 12, 2020
A40:
Lmaooooooo shebi na una open eye vote for Trump

U mean close eye. Dem dey open eye do dat kain tin? grin
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 4:01pm On Mar 12, 2020
A40:
Shut up my friend. This is Anthony Davis's best defensive season and the first time he's openly been touted as a DPOY. This was not the case in NO

Unless you can show where I or anyone else predicted LeNomad and Davis will not deliver and be contenders you are making absolute noise.

They have complimented each other and it was automatic the minute LeNomad and AD formed a team that the Lakers were going to be a contender. Bron doesn't have to go full throttle every night because AD can share the load and vice versa.

I can credit Davis for the success of the Lakers and also opine that he underperformed in New Orleans. Both are not mutually exclusive

This year he's averaging 9.4 rebs, 2.4 blks and 1.5 steals. In 2017 he averaged 11.1 rebs, 2.6 blks and 1.5 steals. Last year he averaged 12.0 rebs, 1.6 steals and 2.4 blks. In 2014 he averaged 10.2 rebs, 1.5 steals and 2.9 blks. His defensive win shares for 2014, 2016 and 2017 were 4.2, 5.1 and 4.9 respectively. His defensive win shares for this season is 4.1. Notice he hasn't surpassed any of those categories this year. Or are you not a numbers guy again? grin

(I'm waiting for you to tell me that there are things that don't show in the box score cheesy)
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 4:12pm On Mar 12, 2020
Damn

(1) (2) (3) ... (1522) (1523) (1524) (1525) (1526) (1527) (1528) ... (2207) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.