Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,419 members, 7,819,513 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (1668) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1630796 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1665) (1666) (1667) (1668) (1669) (1670) (1671) ... (2212) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 11:44am On Jan 31, 2021
SmooshCHN:
You're a grown man Brother. Everything isn't about winning arguments. Watch some YouTube videos, do some Google research if you're interested in learning. Nobody is trashing LeBron. He's basically the best player in the last 20 years.

Here are some facts though:

Stephen Curry influence on basketball is almost greater than any we've seen in a long time. You will get bítch slapped if you bring James Harden "step back" into the conversation. That's a signature move and it didn't start today. If you think basketball moves like Eurostep, Dream Shake, Sky hook, Dirk Fade away should be compared to changing the way the game is played, Omo nobody here can help your poor basic basketball knowledge.
Man up, stop using stubbornness to mask the fact that you are wrong at an argument you tried to bring up just to hate on Curry and also failed at trying to shift goal post and make it about LeBron. Go do research and learn some more and stop disgracing yourself. There a ways to do it if you want to make a case for LeBron and it's not hard to do.

On a serious note, if you want to talk about influential players on the court mention Curry, MJ, Allen Iverson, Steve Nash, Magic Johnson, Hakeem, Charles Barkley, Larry Bird, Julius Irving, Kareem and co.
Off the court, you can mention LeBron and how he has changed the basketball market and how players have more freedom than ever in negotiations and free agency, Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor on racism and so many others.

My argument is not perfect especially with some examples however, those who understand basketball to an extent will get my point and even point me in the right direction.
Lol. Nothing like grown man here. I made my points, and somehow the dude tried to make it about LeBron, calling him all sorts of names like Ben Simmons with a receding hairline. That's how you know he's getting emotional about it.

I've shown you how LeBron influenced the game on the court in my previous posts and I don't need to repeat myself.

The truth is that we like to dwell on narratives too much. We say them enough times until it begins to sound true. We can argue that MJ changed the game from a big-dominant league to a guard-dominant league, but that's trying to diminish the exploits of guys like Gervin, Oscar, West, Drexler and co. MJ had eight 30ppg season, Oscar had six, West had 4. I'm not even mentioning guys like Isiah, Magic and Stockton that dominated in a different way. The truth is that in every era, there have been dominant guards and bigs almost in equal proportion. MJs case was just different because he won a lot of titles in a short span.

All these players you mentioned that influenced the game on the court, can you tell me how each of them did it? I'm curious.

As for Curry and shooting threes, the Houston Rockets showed us that that is not the best attribute to rely upon if you want to win a championship. Curry and Klay were only able to win in 2015 because Kyrie and Love got injured. After they lost in 2016 they knew they needed something different, that was why they begged KD to come over. Curry with his three point prowess was never the best player on GS while KD was there, even though he was the reigning 2-time MVP at the time of KD's arrival. When KD got injured in 2019 Klay and Step couldn't get the job done. Last year LeBron and KD showed that the three is just a luxury, an afterthought. Going into the playoffs the Lakers were one of the worst 3 shooting teams in the league. In the last 5 years there has been little to prove that the 3 ball is what wins you championships.

The facts are there, this is not conjecture or inuendo. The two ball will always be more valuable and important than the three ball.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by KNIGHTBlaed(m): 1:37pm On Jan 31, 2021
steady986:
My boys got sloppy there in the end after shutting down the Celtics for almost the entire 4th quarter. LeBron was just fooling around, deferring to AD and Schroder all the time. Well, it's the regular season, a time to try what works and what doesn't. Great win in the end after that disappointment in Detroit.

You guys were lucky to win, and see how you paint it like it was not just a point game win. Give credit to the Celtics jare, that team will beat any team come the playoffs. Kemba shot poorly all night, he should not have been on the court at the moment IMO. Lucky win for the Lakers, see how AD sef no believe am.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by KNIGHTBlaed(m): 1:43pm On Jan 31, 2021
mattfeuter:

I don’t know if he’s lazy, soft or just got comfortable after winning a championship.

I think that ring came too early. He does not look fired up, he's not even trying too hard. I give it to Lebron, the man gives his all on the court and that's why it's always so sweet when he does not win cos e dey always pain baba. He gives his best every game. But no ginger from AD this early season, AD might be thinking "I just won a ring, I have proved to everyone I can do it, I will do my best and leave the rest".
Re: The NBA Begins by Afromentalist: 2:10pm On Jan 31, 2021
Dame dolla is just something else. Nigga got ice in his veins . Some people here Like to belittle him but mehnn

By the time he retires his top plays / clutch compilations will be mammoth

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 4:11pm On Jan 31, 2021
@steady986. Brother you no dey hear word. Stop watching the back of your TV and the box score. Watch the games and do some learning. You don't need to have been one born in the 90s. Most of the relevant information from that time is available. You don't have to comment on the 90s if you are not quite familiar. grin. That's by the way my brother. Let me educate you small. You don't seem to understand what changing a league means even relatively one's peers. How many players do Harden's step back, even among the guards. Now travel back in time and check the number of 3s players take and the schemes with respect to shot selection before and after 2015+- 3. Very simple assignment. I understand though, those final losses still dey pain you. Its understandable. cheesy grin

5 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Android17: 5:24pm On Jan 31, 2021
benji93:
@steady986. Brother you no dey hear word. Stop watching the back of your TV and the box score. Watch the games and do some learning. You don't need to have been one born in the 90s. Most of the relevant information from that time is available. You don't have to comment on the 90s if you are not quite familiar. grin. That's by the way my brother. Let me educate you small. You don't seem to understand what changing a league means even relatively one's peers. How many players do Harden's step back, even among the guards. Now travel back in time and check the number of 3s players take and the schemes with respect to shot selection before and after 2015+- 3. Very simple assignment. I understand though, those final losses still dey pain you. Its understandable. cheesy grin

I don't see anywhere even today where coaches expect their small forward to have assists or they will be bursts. The league does not put that pressure on small forwards. It is not a knock on Lebron's greatness - if anything it amplifies it. However, nobody can deny that there has been a greater pressure from ALL positions in recent times to develop a 3 pt shot. We extol Embids and Jokics of this world for their 3pt shooting as centres. People can see it but blind jealousy will make some others say it is Houston Rockets and James Harden that inspired people. Lol.
Re: The NBA Begins by Android17: 5:41pm On Jan 31, 2021
steady986:

Lol. Nothing like grown man here. I made my points, and somehow the dude tried to make it about LeBron, calling him all sorts of names like Ben Simmons with a receding hairline. That's how you know he's getting emotional about it.

I've shown you how LeBron influenced the game on the court in my previous posts and I don't need to repeat myself.

The truth is that we like to dwell on narratives too much. We say them enough times until it begins to sound true. We can argue that MJ was whi changed the game from a big-dominant league to a guard-dominant league, but that's trying to diminish the exploits of guys like Gervin, Oscar, West, Drexler and co. MJ had eight 30ppg season, Oscar had six, West had 4. I'm not even mentioning guys like Isiah, Magic and Stockton that dominated in a different way. The truth is that in every era, there have been dominant guards and bigs almost in equal proportion. MJs case was just different because he won a lot of titles in a short span.

All these players you mentioned that influenced the game on the court, can you tell me how each of them did it? I'm curious.

As for Curry and shooting threes, the Houston Rockets showed us that that is not the best attribute to rely upon if you want to win a championship. Curry and Klay were only able to win in 2015 because Kyrie and Love got injured. After they lost in 2016 they knew they needed something different, that was why they begged KD to come over. Curry with his three point prowess was never the best player on GS while KD was there, even though he was the reigning 2-time MVP at the time of KD's arrival. When KD got injured in 2019 Klay and Step couldn't get the job done. Last year LeBron and KD showed that the three is just a luxury, an afterthought. Going into the playoffs the Lakers were one of the worst 3 shooting teams in the league. In the last 5 years there has been little to prove that the 3 ball is what wins you championships.

The facts are there, this is not conjecture or inuendo. The two ball will always be more valuable and important than the three ball.

You brought your own argument and then changed it after you got served. This reply to you should serve as a deterrent to other uninformed trolls who want to venture into what they have not properly studied. Receded hairline Ben Simmons is what an emotional person will zero in on. Even after I said he is surely greater than Curry, has been the face of the NBA and is this generation's GOAT. That you ignored those compliments to get butthurt about hairline shows who was crying behind the scenes. As for all those names you mentioned in your second paragraph, lol, your original post made mention of in the last 3 decades (in the NBA)or else the badboi Pistons, and the fab 5 would have gotten notable mentions. So stop changing the narrative.
Curry and Klay were only able to win in 2015 because Kyrie and Love were injured? Ok. How did those same players get 3-1 down in 2016? Why did the NBA need to suspend Draymond? Why did the Cavs only start winning after Andrew Bogut got injured? Why did the NBA allow Curry to get held and pulled with no calls but then call 5 flimsy calls against him and then eject him? You don't need to take my opinion - Google Channing Frye and watch him admit that the NBA allowed them hold and pull Curry on their way to coming back. Hehe. Everytime you want to act like a troll, it comes back to bite you. And by the way, Klay Thompson was injured in 2019. It is no surprise, GSW won the only 2 games he played in and were on course to winning the game 6 when he got injured again. The Lakers were a bad 3 pt shooting team? Ok. But did they not shoot well in 4 of the 6 games that they beat the Heats and lost in the only 2 games they shot poorly from the 3? Stop arguing wass here, you will be served.

4 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 6:36pm On Jan 31, 2021
Android17:

You brought your own argument and then changed it after you got served. This reply to you should serve as a deterrent to other uninformed trolls who want to venture into what they have not properly studied. Receded hairline Ben Simmons is what an emotional person will zero in on. Even after I said he is surely greater than Curry, has been the face of the NBA and is this generation's GOAT. That you ignored those compliments to get butthurt about hairline shows who was crying behind the scenes. As for all those names you mentioned in your second paragraph, lol, your original post made mention of in the last 3 decades (in the NBA)or else the badboi Pistons, and the fab 5 would have gotten notable mentions. So stop changing the narrative.
Curry and Klay were only able to win in 2015 because Kyrie and Love were injured? Ok. How did those same players get 3-1 down in 2016? Why did the NBA need to suspend Draymond? Why did the Cavs only start winning after Andrew Bogut got injured? Why did the NBA allow Curry to get held and pulled with no calls but then call 5 flimsy calls against him and then eject him? You don't need to take my opinion - Google Channing Frye and watch him admit that the NBA allowed them hold and pull Curry on their way to coming back. Hehe. Everytime you want to act like a troll, it comes back to bite you. And by the way, Klay Thompson was injured in 2019. It is no surprise, GSW won the only 2 games he played in and were on course to winning the game 6 when he got injured again. The Lakers were a bad 3 pt shooting team? Ok. But did they not shoot well in 4 of the 6 games that they beat the Heats and lost in the only 2 games they shot poorly from the 3? Stop arguing wass here, you will be served.
Lol. What's all this ones? grin This is a ridiculous attempt at trying to make your point
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 6:47pm On Jan 31, 2021
KNIGHTBlaed:

You guys were lucky to win, and see how you paint it like it was not just a point game win. Give credit to the Celtics jare, that team will beat any team come the playoffs. Kemba shot poorly all night, he should not have been on the court at the moment IMO. Lucky win for the Lakers, see how AD sef no believe am.
Lol. As at 1:34 minutes to go, the Celts had scored only 11 points in the quarter. We dominated them in that 4th and it's not even a debate. We had started the quarter 7 points down and were leading by 7 until 1:34, then somehow we got sloppy because we thought we had won the game. AD was attempting bad shots with the shot clock still at 14, and on the second attack small Kemba was blocking AD's shot, LeBron slipping and turning the ball over. Lol. Come the playoffs I assure you you'll see none of that.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 6:53pm On Jan 31, 2021
benji93:

This your "stop watching the back of TV and box score" line is getting old. No be only you dey watch the games for here. No dey talk wetin you no know. You wey begin follow basketball in 2015 when GS started dominating.

And you really asked how many players do Harden Step-back? Lol. This is someone who say he watches the game. I no get time for this argument abeg.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 10:38pm On Jan 31, 2021
The Nuggets lighting Utah's a*s up. 79 first half points. 33 for Jokic. 15 of 17 from three grin
Re: The NBA Begins by typicalgamer(m): 12:05am On Feb 01, 2021
steady986:
Lol. Is it Steph that made big men to begin to develop ball handling skills too? Is it Steph that made big men to develop good passing skills too? The game was always destined to move towards the direction it is now, Steph or no Steph. Before Steph ever entered the league, big men like Troy Murphy, Channing Frye and Dirk were already attempting 5 threes a game.

And don't even get me started about volume three point shooting. Guys like Ray Allen attempted 8 three pointers a game back in 2006. The first time Steph reached that mark was in 2014. And since then he has been operating seemingly in his own bubble, jacking up to 10 three a game. There are just a handful of players in the league who do that: Harden, Dame. The first time Dame even attempted 10 threes per game was last year, and Steph has been doing it since 2015. Nobody, apart from these few people I mentioned attempts as much threes as Steph does, so how has he influenced sh*t?

LeBron attempted 5 threes in 2010, and he has been shooting more or less the same amount since then, only reaching 6 this year. That is someone who is developing his game at his own pace. People shoot threes because they can shoot threes and because the coach permits them to. Steve Kerr and Mark Jackson before him love the three ball, that's why GS became a three shooting team. In this league there are people who still don't shoot threes, and I'm not talking Centers alone, even guards. Rondo won't shoot a three unless there's no one guarding him. It's all preference man, preference.

Ben Simmons
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 4:14am On Feb 01, 2021
Westbrook prick dey always stand whenever e see KD grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 4:18am On Feb 01, 2021
So the Nets concede 147 points to the Cavs in double overtime, but tonight they said, "let's go one better" and BOOM! 149 in regulation time grin. You couldn't write this script man.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 4:34am On Feb 01, 2021
Just watch Undisputed tomorrow, Skip's only defense for that atrocity would be "well, they didn't have James Harden" Harden would have prevented them from conceding 149 points, he would have also made shots down the stretch even though the best scorer ever was on the court. Smh

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 4:35am On Feb 01, 2021

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by mattfeuter(m): 7:51am On Feb 01, 2021
steady986:
Westbrook prick dey always stand whenever e see KD grin

It will never stop.

Baba torched the nets.

When he made that clutch 3, I knew it was gonna be a W cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by mattfeuter(m): 8:04am On Feb 01, 2021
steady986:

Na team wey wan win the east be this? Lol
Re: The NBA Begins by Hohenheim(m): 8:34am On Feb 01, 2021
Let's go

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 11:04am On Feb 01, 2021
mattfeuter:

It will never stop.

Baba torched the nets.

When he made that clutch 3, I knew it was gonna be a W cheesy
See the fire in that guys eyes. Man was possessed. I hope he can consolidate on this performance.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 12:22pm On Feb 01, 2021
Let's go cool

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Markswag101: 12:54pm On Feb 01, 2021
My All Star selection for players that have had solid seasons lowkey grin

Re: The NBA Begins by DeeMain(m): 6:42pm On Feb 01, 2021
steady986:

The truth is that we like to dwell on narratives too much. We say them enough times until it begins to sound true. We can argue that MJ changed the game from a big-dominant league to a guard-dominant league, but that's trying to diminish the exploits of guys like Gervin, Oscar, West, Drexler and co. MJ had eight 30ppg season, Oscar had six, West had 4. I'm not even mentioning guys like Isiah, Magic and Stockton that dominated in a different way. The truth is that in every era, there have been dominant guards and bigs almost in equal proportion. MJs case was just different because he won a lot of titles in a short span.

Steady, do not allow hate or the love of another becloud your reasoning or objectivity. Curry so influenced and changed the game to the 3s game that is played today. Give props to whom it's due, bro. Just like the anti-Lebron elements are wont to do, you are sounding like you are anti-Curry and will say or do anything to win an argument against the one you love to hate.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by mattfeuter(m): 6:58pm On Feb 01, 2021
steady986:
Let's go cool

Baba, Jaylen brown over James Harden? shocked

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 10:05pm On Feb 01, 2021
mattfeuter:

Baba, Jaylen brown over James Harden? shocked
Oh, Harden dey east sef grin I forgot.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 11:10pm On Feb 01, 2021
DeeMain:

Steady, do not allow hate or the love of another becloud your reasoning or objectivity. Curry so influenced and changed the game to the 3s game that is played today. Give props to whom it's due, bro. Just like the anti-Lebron elements are wont to do, you are sounding like you are anti-Curry and will say or do anything to win an argument against the one you love to hate.
Lol. I don't hate Curry, he's a loveable gentleman. I'm just stating my fact-based opinion. If you do your research properly you'll see that Houston with D'antoni and James Harden really need be given a lot of credit for the amount of threes shot today.

Let me break it down for you so you can understand what I'm saying. Since 2012, Houston has led the league in 3s attempted per game bar 2015 and this year. In 2015 Houston were second behind GS by 1.1 (GS 31.8, Houston 30.7). But compare Houston's numbers to GS's numbers for the rest of those years:

2012: 29.2 to 20.2
2013: 26.6 to 25.0
2014: 31.8 to 27.7
2016: 40.1 to 31.5
2017: 41.9 to 29.4
2018: 45.1 to 34.1
2019: 45.5 to 31.3

When did Harden move to Houston? Your guess is as good as mine - 2012. Coincidence? And as he left this year, Houston has dropped to 6th for 38.5 per game.

In all of those years that Houston led the league in 3s attempted, GS were 9th, 13th, 5th, 3rd, 5th, 14th.

Why D'antoni deserves a mention as well is because his teams have consistently been at the top echelons when it comes to 3s attempted. In his 4 years at the Knicks, the Knicks finished 2nd three times and 1st once in threes attempted. In his 2 years at LA his team never went below 7th. So when he joined forces with Harden at Houston it was sort of a match made in heaven.

The only reason we are giving credit to Curry and not Harden is because of the efficiency with which Curry shot the ball, and because he actually won championships with it. Switch their situations and we might be having a different conversation. Watch Harden's game and watch Curry's game closely, Harden is more deliberate about shooting the 3 ball than curry is, to the extent he popularised that Harden step-back. Harden would dribble 15 to 20 dribbles at the top of the arc, and he has only one thing in mind: to shoot the 3. Check how many of his 3s are assisted. On the other hand, most of Curry's 3 are assisted, either by spotting up or by running across the screen. Basically catch and shoot. That's why we say Curry is not your archetypal point guard. He's a shooting guard in point guard's clothing.

These are facts bro, not conjecture. Narratives are a very deceitful thing.

I'll leave you with this link about D'antoni and his system. Do well to read it.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2018/01/12/phoenix-suns-mike-dantoni-houston-rockets-steve-nash-amare-stoudemire-devin-booker/1029908001/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 11:30pm On Feb 01, 2021
Make I hear say JB no make the first team lasan’ angry

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 4:03am On Feb 02, 2021
The Lakers really know how to stuff teams out in the 4th quarter. But it could backfire sometimes as we saw against the Pistons.

Defense looks solid but we need some improvements on that offense. I've not been impressed over the past couple of games.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Android17: 5:38am On Feb 02, 2021
KNIGHTBlaed:

Calm down, even when I dey play NBA2k19, whenever Curry holds the ball, the commentators go say "it's no doubt that he has changed the way the game is played, he's so efficient" something like that. When Harden handles the ball or shoots 3s, them go say "he is such an efficient shooter, it's amazing how he keeps doing this". So you sef see say game sef sabi say na Curry grin grin grin

You have time to educate him. Imagine someone trying to make an argument about 3s and he is pulling stats for which team attempts more 3s that did not win and were less efficient while at it. There is a name for such people and when I find it i might type it here.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 10:55am On Feb 02, 2021
KNIGHTBlaed:

Calm down, even when I dey play NBA2k19, whenever Curry holds the ball, the commentators go say "it's no doubt that he has changed the way the game is played, he's so efficient" something like that. When Harden handles the ball or shoots 3s, them go say "he is such an efficient shooter, it's amazing how he keeps doing this". So you sef see say game sef sabi say na Curry grin grin grin
Lol, I hope this is sarcasm grin

They say " Harden is such an efficient shooter"? I'm sure that's not the only lie they say in the game grin
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 11:16am On Feb 02, 2021

(1) (2) (3) ... (1665) (1666) (1667) (1668) (1669) (1670) (1671) ... (2212) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.