Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,530 members, 7,837,028 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (1964) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1644561 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1961) (1962) (1963) (1964) (1965) (1966) (1967) ... (2234) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 2:59pm On Jun 24, 2022
Shittaakeem:
I come in peace

I have no problem with the truth. Lebron's place on mount rushmore of the nba is secured. Better concentrate on your team tongue

In other news, Rockets did extremely well in yesterday's draft. I was really worried we were going to get the Banchero guy - the name alone sef dey fear me grin. I still cannot believe we got Jabari!!! Wohooooohooooooo
Re: The NBA Begins by Shittaakeem(m): 3:49pm On Jun 24, 2022
birdman:

I have no problem with the truth. Lebron's place on mount rushmore of the nba is secured. Better concentrate on your team tongue

In other news, Rockets did extremely well in yesterday's draft. I was really worried we were going to get the Banchero guy - the name alone sef dey fear me grin. I still cannot believe we got Jabari!!! Wohooooohooooooo
Great pick
Re: The NBA Begins by Skrrrrrrr: 3:51pm On Jun 24, 2022
birdman:

Banchero is hella good. His game is more matured than Jabari IMO
Re: The NBA Begins by uvalentine2003(m): 3:58pm On Jun 24, 2022
One of the two Nigerian's
Drafted yesterday

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 5:25pm On Jun 24, 2022
Skrrrrrrr:

Banchero is hella good. His game is more matured than Jabari IMO

People were saying that on Rockets forum, but I got that feel that we were saying it to make ourselves feel better tongue

My problem is can Banchero play that way versus bigger, faster guys in the NBA? We have seen mature players not last long in in the nba. Where is oj mayo? Plus that Banchero name sounds like Darko milicic to me grin

For me Jabari's mindset is the biggest plus. He already has the skills. But he also has that attitude, and he has a legit jumpshot, better than Banchero's jumpshot IMO.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:41pm On Jun 24, 2022
Roland17:

Man had a tough life growing up, struggled with a lot of family dysfunction and weight issues but made it to the league.

Sometimes the demons of the past never leave, they haunt you and sometimes they keep people stuck. I am not sure what happened, hopefully, we get more information and clarity as the days come by.

You are absolutely right about making it to the league and success!
The Jaylen Ferguson thing too. It just always rubs me the wrong way seeing 25 year old black men dying over mysterious reasons. This Ravens guy had 3 young kids
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 9:07am On Jun 26, 2022
Android22:
The Warriors beat the team that swept KD.

KD got doubled and tripled in the playoffs and his efficiency took a huge dive.

KD being a better player than Curry is rubbish. He is just a better iso player. Curry does everything else better than him + Curry is a better leader.

KD tweeted "high level basketball being played" when the Celtics won game 1. He was secretly rooting for them to win against his "former" franchise.

KD is a snake.

Finished, sulky, bitter player.

This win stings the hatersssssss!
Curry is playing in a better system than kd.

Put KD back in this same warriors, KD would become the best player again, with less isolated-plays.

The series was great.

Both teams did well.

Congrats to roland17 here.
Admired your conduct all thru. Was never confident of Celtics taking the ring over warriors. Just hopeful and enjoying being on either side of win/loss.

To me, Celtics punched much over their weight than warriors did, comparing both teams from the very first round.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Skrrrrrrr: 12:45pm On Jun 26, 2022
nairamaniac:

Put KD back in this same warriors, KD would become the best player again, with less isolated-plays.

The series was great.

Both teams did well.

Admired your conduct all thru. Was never confident of Celtics taking the ring over warriors. Just hopeful and enjoying being on either side of win/loss.

To me, Celtics punched much over their weight than warriors did, comparing both teams from the very first round.

False. Curry is the system.
Replace curry with KD on the warriors and they'd become a less lethal version of the thunder with Westbrook. KD would get his 30points, but they ain't going past the second round of the playoffs...

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 2:35pm On Jun 26, 2022
Skrrrrrrr:

Replace curry with KD on the warriors and they'd become a less lethal version of the thunder with Westbrook. KD would get his 30points, but they ain't going past the second round of the playoffs...
Not one player can be the entire system of a dynasty. But he can be the most important unit of that dynasty. Without curry, the warriors don't go half this far.

But let's not take for granted what Steve Kerr brought to this team and changed basketball-plays almost entirely.

In my own opinion;
In the past 20years of sports, only 2 coaches have had such a distinctive influence on their sports in terms of PLAYS&PHYLOSOPHIES.

That Pep Guadiola from the moment he took over Barca 2008.

And Kerr, when he took over Golden state, 2014.

Even with curry on the bench, you can still see the Warriors having movements&shot-creations not seen in other teams.
Re: The NBA Begins by Skrrrrrrr: 2:58pm On Jun 26, 2022
nairamaniac:

Not one player can be the entire system of a dynasty. But he can be the most important unit of that dynasty. Without curry, the warriors don't go half this far.

But let's not take for granted what Steve Kerr brought to this team and changed basketball-plays almost entirely.

In my own opinion;
In the past 20years of sports, only 2 coaches have had such a distinctive influence on their sports in terms of PLAYS&PHYLOSOPHIES.

Even with curry on the bench, you can still see the Warriors having movements&shot-creations not seen in other teams.

Check their offensive rating and win percentage with and without curry.
Even when Durant was there.
Get back to me..
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 3:14pm On Jun 26, 2022
Skrrrrrrr:

Check their offensive rating and win percentage with and without curry.
Even when Durant was there.
Get back to me..

Every coach and every philosophy is inclined to a particular KIND OF PLAYER, KIND OF ROLE, KIND OF TEAM GAME PLAY.

Creative and skillful Midfielders would always thrive better than outright strikers under Pep's system.

Pure shooters, good shooters would do better under Kerr.

Ever wondered why we once felt fully fit Klay was as good as prime-harden?

2015/16/17 no one said curry was way ahead of kyrie as a point guard.
They both had similar individual skill set.

If that same kyrie was coached by Kerr in that same warriors system.
He may have been the current Curry.

Yet, see where they both are today.
See the wide gap.
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 3:18pm On Jun 26, 2022
Skrrrrrrr:

Replace that curry with 2015/16 -kyrie as at that 2015/16

Or 2014-17 harden, they would have been the current Klay(plus) klay² after few years.
The system means a whole lot.
My humble bold opinion.

I'm not a golden state fan

But Kerr's system has been out of this world.

Pop did similar, but never really did it from one season to another over so many years.
Re: The NBA Begins by Blueelf: 3:33pm On Jun 26, 2022
So kyrie is better than steph now?

Wetin Musa no go see for gate.

I say na Mama Benji Beer Parlor Analyst full here

System ko, artemis ni

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 3:50pm On Jun 26, 2022
Blueelf:
So kyrie is better than steph now?

Wetin Musa no go see for gate.

I say na Mama Benji Beer Parlor Analyst full here

System ko, artemis ni

Read, Read, Read.
Whoever said what you just said here?
Answer that first, let's move forward.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Android17: 4:21pm On Jun 26, 2022
nairamaniac:

In my own opinion;

Basketball is a 5-man a side sport compared to soccer of 11 players. It is easier for 1 player to be the system in basketball than soccer.

That said, Curry is the system. You can't compare the movements when he is on the bench to when he is playing especially when his rotations match the benches rotation of the opposing team.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Android17: 4:24pm On Jun 26, 2022
nairamaniac:

Every coach and every philosophy is inclined to a particular KIND OF PLAYER, KIND OF ROLE, KIND OF TEAM GAME PLAY.

Creative and skillful Midfielders would always thrive better than outright strikers under Pep's system.

See the wide gap.

The people who never said Curry was way ahead of Kyrie are the silly people that we have had to shut up once and for all this season. Anyone can have an opinion, but an opinion is not a fact.

Kyrie coached by Kerr will never ever ever be Steph Curry. Nobody in the entire NBA is like Steph and we may never find another player like him. Not Jordan, Bird, Kareem, Durant, Lebron. Not one of them is like Curry.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Android17: 4:25pm On Jun 26, 2022
nairamaniac:

Or 2014-17 harden, they would have been the current Klay(plus) klay² after few years.
My humble bold opinion.

Pop did similar, but never really did it from one season to another over so many years.
Tim Duncan was Pop's system. It is no surprise that Pop has won basically nothing since Duncan retired.
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 4:38pm On Jun 26, 2022
Android17:
Tim Duncan was Pop's system. It is no surprise that Pop has won basically nothing since Duncan retired.
Every dynasty has an end.

t later became ginobli and lastly, parker's team.
Duncan was more involved in the defending and rebounding side of things during parker's time.
Parker ran the show around Duncan for couple of consecutive seasons.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 4:49pm On Jun 26, 2022
Android17:
The people who never said Curry was way ahead of Kyrie are the
silly people 
that we have had to shut up once and for all this season. Anyone can have an opinion, but an opinion is not a fact.

Kyrie coached by Kerr will never ever ever be Steph Curry. Nobody in the entire NBA is like Steph and we may never find another player like him. Not Jordan, Bird, Kareem, Durant, Lebron. Not one of them is like Curry.

None of these players are identical to themselves.

Meaning each one of these to the rest are as unique as curry is to all of them mentioned here.

Is it's nothing special to say none of these players would be like curry.

Also you can't call people silly cause they had a pov over something.

That said; when kyrie and curry met head to head in Kyries Cleveland years, was onviois he had some skillset to be the go to scoring point guard.

Under Kerr, i first got amazed with the Golden state teamwork and buildup before being amazed by curry.

We all have our individual history and past relationships with the game.
Re: The NBA Begins by Skrrrrrrr: 4:50pm On Jun 26, 2022
nairamaniac:

See the wide gap.

Lol.
Steph did not adapt to Kerr, Kerr adapted to Steph. Kerr built his team around Steph's game, not the other way around. Steph was already jacking up 3s under mark Jackson.
Steph has been playing this way right from Davidson. Without him, the warriors are not the warriors. How much spacing and how many 3s did they have the season Steph was injured. Steph goes down, the warriors go down, Steph rises, the warriors rise.
Even Kerr admitted that Steph was their winning formula after game 6.
BTW, Steph and Kyrie were never similar. Kyrie lives under the Basket while Steph operates beyond the arc.
No amount of coaching would have made Kyrie shoot like curry. Curry didn't start shooting because he was coached by Kerr.
Also Kyrie never had Curry's movement and Gravity without the ball. If Kyrie was coached by Kerr, you won't have this dynasty.
Kerr is a good coach, no doubt, but having curry made his life wayyyy easier.
Same way having Duncan made Pop Pop. It's little wonder he has been unable to replicate that success since Duncan retired.
Same goes for Pep. He would never achieve what he did with Messi. No matter how hard he tries, Arjen Robben couldn't do it for him, same with Silva and Frank Ribery.
Messi gave him whatever reputation he has.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Skrrrrrrr: 4:52pm On Jun 26, 2022
nairamaniac:

My humble bold opinion.

Duncan is to Popovich what Curry is to Kerr.
It's little wonder, Popovich has won nothing without Duncan.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 5:04pm On Jun 26, 2022
Remember it was SLASH BROTHERS before it became STEPH CURRY?
Skrrrrrrr:

Lol.
Steph did not adapt to Kerr, Kerr adapted to Steph. Kerr built his team around Steph's game, not the other way around. Steph was already jacking up 3s under mark Jackson.
Steph has been playing this way right from Davidson. Without him, the warriors are not the warriors. How much spacing and how many 3s did they have the season Steph was injured. Steph goes down, the warriors go down, Steph rises, the warriors rise.
Even Kerr admitted that Steph was their winning formula after game 6.
BTW, Steph and Kyrie were never similar. Kyrie lives under the Basket while Steph operates beyond the arc.
No amount of coaching would have made Kyrie shoot like curry. Curry didn't start shooting because he was coached by Kerr.
Also Kyrie never had Curry's movement and Gravity without the ball. If Kyrie was coached by Kerr, you won't have this dynasty.
Kerr is a good coach, no doubt, but having curry made his life wayyyy easier.
Same way having Duncan made Pop Pop. It's little wonder he has been unable to replicate that success since Duncan retired.
Same goes for Pep. He would never achieve what he did with Messi. No matter how hard he tries, Arjen Robben couldn't do it for him, same with Silva and Frank Ribery.
Messi gave him whatever reputation he has.

At my second bolded, let me counterphrase your statement.

If both Klay and Draymond go down from begining of any season, Steph and Kerr Begin to Tank for good draft picks and trades towards the next season.
They can do this for the next 80games conveniently.

At my third bolded, don't be using words like NEVER. Carefully use those words cos we are mere mortals.

The only thing that make pep not have a dynasty in man city as he did in Barca is The absence of a Champions League medal.

But I'm terms of LEAGUE DOMINATION, Pep has surprised the world more in mancity than he did in Barca.

Beating almost all Fegies records back to back upon the fact that the league is more competitive during peps era than fergies era.

Also in fegies era, only 3 or 4 teams could spend that highly on players.

Now we have the top 10teams breaking team records and competing financially with hundreds of millions every season.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Skrrrrrrr: 5:15pm On Jun 26, 2022
nairamaniac:
Remember it was SLASH BROTHERS before it became STEPH CURRY?

At my second bolded, let me counterphrase your statement.

If both Klay and Draymond go down from begining of any season, Steph and Kerr Begin to Tank for good draft picks and trades towards the next season.
They can do this for the next 80games conveniently.

At my third bolded, don't be using words like NEVER. Carefully use those words cos we are mere mortals.

The only thing that make pep not have a dynasty in man city as he did in Barca is The absence of a Champions League medal.

But I'm terms of LEAGUE DOMINATION, Pep has surprised the world more in mancity than he did in Barca.

Beating almost all Fegies records back to back upon the fact that the league is more competitive during peps era than fergies era.

Also in fegies era, only 3 or 4 teams could spend that highly on players.

Now we have the top 10teams breaking competing financially with hundreds of millions every season.

undecided undecided undecided
Draymond is good, no doubt. But did you even remember him when Steph was injured. Isn't it funny that he was basically forgotten without curry, and became an all star when curry returned? What about Klay Thompson? They just won a championship with Klay playing like a role player.
For the rest of your analysis, I would have you know that the champions league is the biggest trophy in club football. Pep won it twice in 3 years with Messi and has only tasted the finals once, 10 years after leaving Barcelona.
The Barcelona team he left won the treble. Infact they won every competition they registered for in his first season. He has been successful, no doubt but he has been no where near that level of success.
Re: The NBA Begins by Android17: 5:38pm On Jun 26, 2022
nairamaniac:

None of these players are identical to themselves.

Meaning each one of these to the rest are as unique as curry is to all of them mentioned here.

Is it's nothing special to say none of these players would be like curry.

Also you can't call people silly cause they had a pov over something.

That said; when kyrie and curry met head to head in Kyries Cleveland years, was onviois he had some skillset to be the go to scoring point guard.

Under Kerr, i first got amazed with the Golden state teamwork and buildup before being amazed by curry.

We all have our individual history and past relationships with the game.

Many of those players are not unique. They are all skilled at the way basketball was always played and in their time, the best there was. Curry is completely different. He is more coachable, humble and selfless. I am not saying he is better than those players but that they cannot do for the warriors what Steph does.

And yes some opinions can be silly. An opinion not backed by any data, facts or eye test is simply a silly opinion. I never said Kyrie is not good for e.g but that at no point had he shown he had a higher ceiling than Curry - no point. Curry just gets disrespected alot which is why some of those opinions festered.
Re: The NBA Begins by Android17: 5:39pm On Jun 26, 2022
lol

Re: The NBA Begins by Android17: 5:40pm On Jun 26, 2022
nairamaniac:

Every dynasty has an end.

t later became ginobli and lastly, parker's team.
Duncan was more involved in the defending and rebounding side of things during parker's time.
Parker ran the show around Duncan for couple of consecutive seasons.

Which title did they win without Duncan?
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 6:06pm On Jun 26, 2022
Android17:
Which title did they win without Duncan?
If they never won without Duncan, does that mean the offence went thru Duncan all his time there?

First ir was the twin-towers(Duncan and David Robinson)

Then it became around Duncan.

Later it was parkers team(offensively).
Re: The NBA Begins by Android17: 6:10pm On Jun 26, 2022
nairamaniac:

If they never won without Duncan, does that mean the offence went thru Duncan all his time there?

First ir was the twin-towers(Duncan and David Robinson)

Then it became around Duncan.

Later it was parkers team(offensively).
So Pop should make someone else the offense and win again, abi?
Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 6:23pm On Jun 26, 2022
Android17:
Many of those players are not unique. They are all skilled at the way basketball was always played and in their time, the best there was. Curry is completely different. He is more coachable, humble and selfless. I am not saying he is better than those players but that they cannot do for the warriors what Steph does.

And yes some opinions can be silly. An opinion not backed by any data, facts or eye test is simply a silly opinion. I never said Kyrie is not good for e.g but that at no point had he shown he had a higher ceiling than Curry - no point. Curry just gets disrespected alot which is why some of those opinions festered.

Please bruv.
Are we now diverting from physical attributes and skillset comparisons to MORAL COMPARISONS? Do you have data, facts or eyes tests such as a list of the NAMES OF NOISEMAKERS drafted by captains of the teams the players in question we are talking about here? grin

Take it easyyyyy. grin grin grin

Alll those players are unique in their own ways

Some are even more unique to the rest than curry is to them all.

Don't let this era of social media hypes deceive us.

We all wanted to spend longer time in the air becos of jordan.

We all did in the 80's and 90's.

Just imagine if Jordan did all that I'm this era of tictok, YouTube and Whatsapp?

So you think without the hype, curry gave us the wow-factor more than Jordan?

God!!!!

Jordan and Michael Jackson are the most amazing things that have ever happened in the history of any television with respect to their eras.

I would have said lebron being more unique than curry, but people can hardly be lebron without the height, strength and physic.

Easier to try to be curry than prime-Lebron.

Let's don't get things twisted here.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 6:27pm On Jun 26, 2022
Android17:
So Pop should make someone else the offense and win again, abi?

My statement counters what you once said that pops system was built around Duncan.
Not *what should he do or he shouldn't do*.

We can't both start from an argument and both get lured into what should be done or not done.
Neither of us has an influence on pop.
Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 6:34pm On Jun 26, 2022
nairamaniac:

Please bruv.
Are we now diverting from physical attributes and skillset comparisons to MORAL COMPARISONS? Do you have data, facts or eyes tests such as a list of the NAMES OF NOISEMAKERS drafted by captains of the teams the players in question we are talking about here? grin

Take it easyyyyy. grin grin grin

Alll those players are unique in their own ways

Some are even more unique to the rest than curry is to them all.

Don't let this era of social media hypes deceive us.

We all wanted to spend longer time in the air becos of jordan.

We all did in the 80's and 90's.

Just imagine if Jordan did all that I'm this era of tictok, YouTube and Whatsapp?

So you think without the hype, curry gave us the wow-factor more than Jordan?

God!!!!

Jordan and Michael Jackson are theost amazing things that have ever happened in the history of any television with respect to their eras.

I would have said lebron being more unique than curry, but people can hardly be lebron without the height, strength and physic.

[/b]Easier [b]to try to be curry than prime-Lebron. [b]

Let's don't get things twisted here.
LOL who be this
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 6:37pm On Jun 26, 2022
nairamaniac:

The series was great.

Both teams did well.

Thanks Boss!

(1) (2) (3) ... (1961) (1962) (1963) (1964) (1965) (1966) (1967) ... (2234) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.