Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,249 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:25 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (1968) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1618619 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1965) (1966) (1967) (1968) (1969) (1970) (1971) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by Skrrrrrrr: 4:29pm On Jul 01, 2022
benji93:
Na why I dey ask you if you dey alright. They could have given him what he wanted?
I don't think the exact details are available now. How about you find out what they offered him yourself?
This is a business.

You well so, I am venting that we lost a good player, you are talking trash.
The blazers got him for 28 million dollars. The warriors could have matched that if they serious. And he'd stay because he always reiterated that he wanted to remain a warrior.
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 5:11pm On Jul 01, 2022
Who cares about your useless venting? grin. Go and check GSW's financial wahala: the payroll, potential extension of Jordan Poole's contract, the fact that they are over the league's salary cap, and the luxury tax costs, in which case signing GPII the first time to a $2 million dollar 15th-player contract cost about 12 million(salary inclusive). Just google these things and stop farting all over the place. grin
He reiterated that he'll stay, so? Make dem give am whatever he asks for?
Skrrrrrrr:

The blazers got him for 28 million dollars. The warriors could have matched that if they serious. And he'd stay because he always reiterated that he wanted to remain a warrior.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by Android17: 6:04pm On Jul 01, 2022
Skrrrrrrr:

Bro, the warriors cannot match it. We pay like 6 times the offer on the luxury tax. So to offer him ~ $9.3M a year would be $54M per year. That is unsustainable. Remember they have to make space to help Wiggs and Poole get that bag later on so there was no way to match the GP2 salary. Let the man get paid.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by Skrrrrrrr: 6:24pm On Jul 01, 2022
Android17:
Bro, the warriors cannot match it. We pay like 6 times the offer on the luxury tax. So to offer him ~ $9.3M a year would be $54M per year. That is unsustainable. Remember they have to make space to help Wiggs and Poole get that bag later on so there was no way to match the GP2 salary. Let the man get paid.

I understand. But damn.
What a loss...
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 6:28pm On Jul 01, 2022
Khanben:
With Shaq saying there are currently only 4 superstars in the nba, let me just come out and ask, what is the criteria that makes a player a nba superstar? cause it seems to be all-over the place

I say 5: Lebron, Jokic, Giannis, Embiid, Steph

Its more than just skill. Your skill has to be capable of shining even with a double or triple team. Which means you have a very good basketball mind. You can read defenses and still execute your game plan. Which also means you are by nature a disciplined and driven person. And you can take over games on the offense as well as defense. Interestingly, my list is all mobile bigs, except Steph. Steph sucks on defense, but his offense more than makes up for it.

Also note that being a superstar does not equal ring - you need a complete team and disciplined organization for that. Any of these superstars would have won a ring with the Warriors cast. None of these superstars can win a ring with say for example Orlando
Re: The NBA Begins by Android17: 6:34pm On Jul 01, 2022
Skrrrrrrr:

I understand. But damn.
What a loss...
Huge loss but it is time for Moody and Kuminga to feature more in the coming season.
Re: The NBA Begins by Android17: 6:36pm On Jul 01, 2022
birdman:

Its more than just skill. Your skill has to be capable of shining even with a double or triple team. Which means you have a very good basketball mind. You can read defenses and still execute your game plan. Which also means you are by nature a disciplined and driven person. And you can take over games on the offense as well as defense. Interestingly, my list is all mobile bigs, except Steph. Steph sucks on defense, but his offense more than makes up for it.

Also note that being a superstar does not equal ring - you need a complete team and disciplined organization for that. Any of these superstars would have won a ring with the Warriors cast. None of these superstars can win a ring with say for example Orlando
I dislike KD now but that man is a superstar. Come on. More so than even Jokic, Giannis and Embiid.

And tell us you did not watch Steph last season. Sucks on defense? lol

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 6:48pm On Jul 01, 2022
Android17:
I dislike KD now but that man is a superstar. Come on. More so than even Jokic, Giannis and Embiid.

And tell us you did not watch Steph last season. Sucks on defense? lol

Post injury KD has some weak spots. Specifically he could not handle double teams. I suspect athletically he has declined a bit, but it was not noticeable until he had to read the defense of a very good team and still impose his will. Hence the struggles vs the well coached Celtics. I suspect that is why he also changed his shooting mechanics a bit. His shot always had a high arc, but it was even higher last season.

If the opposing team's superstar has the ball with 2s to go, Steph is not going to defend them. They will pick Klay before Steph even. The other 4 superstars I mention can be trusted for that last second defensive stand.
Re: The NBA Begins by Skrrrrrrr: 7:03pm On Jul 01, 2022
birdman:

Post injury KD has some weak spots. Specifically he could not handle double teams. I suspect athletically he has declined a bit, but it was not noticeable until he had to read the defense of a very good team and still impose his will. Hence the struggles vs the well coached Celtics. I suspect that is why he also changed his shooting mechanics a bit. His shot always had a high arc, but it was even higher last season.

If the opposing team's superstar has the ball with 2s to go, Steph is not going to defend them. They will pick Klay before Steph even. The other 4 superstars I mention can be trusted for that last second defensive stand.

Exactly. Say you didn't watch Steph last season.
Steph is quite good defensively now. And Steph's defense is better than this post injury Thompson.
BTW, your list is basically useless because there is no way in hell Jokic and Embiid are bigger super stars than Durant. I also noticed you placed them before Steph.
Jokic and Embiid are yet to match half of Stephs accomplishment, and I'm not putting this season into consideration. Those two are not bigger stars than Harden and Russell Westbrook.
I'm sure the 4 guys Shaq had in mind were LeBron, Steph, KD and Giannis.
Re: The NBA Begins by felix00(m): 7:23pm On Jul 01, 2022
ESPN story on the Boston Celtics acquiring Indiana Pacers playmaker Malcolm Brogdon in a trade: https:///bT5dsSXBJx
Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 7:25pm On Jul 01, 2022
felix00:
ESPN story on the Boston Celtics acquiring Indiana Pacers playmaker Malcolm Brogdon in a trade: https:///bT5dsSXBJx

Omo this is a fantastic move.. Arms race don start
Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 7:31pm On Jul 01, 2022
Android17:

Which is why I still believe sooner or later they have to blow the big three because the repeater tax keeps increasing every season. It's probably x 7 for the next season and then it goes higher.

I don't see the big three hanging around for more than 2 seasons at this rate
The NBA needs to fix this shit.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 7:35pm On Jul 01, 2022
felix00:

Excellent trade by B. Stevens
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 8:50pm On Jul 01, 2022
birdman:

I think your criteria is well rounded. I will include KD and a fully healthy Kwahi to the list, and if Luka can put more effort on defense then he will be on my list.
I was asking because based on Shaqs criteria guys like AI, Chuck, Melo were not superstars which is surprising
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 8:53pm On Jul 01, 2022
felix00:

Very good move, by the Celtics
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 9:00pm On Jul 01, 2022
Gorbert to the Timberwolves, the Wolve now need to move Russell for a better playmaking PG. Nba arms race is on

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by donlittle25: 9:03pm On Jul 01, 2022
They traded pat Bev after all that shenanigans?

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 9:17pm On Jul 01, 2022
donlittle25:
They traded pat Bev after all that shenanigans?

Man is all noise..

Khanben:
Gorbert to the Timberwolves, the Wolve now need to move Russell for a better playmaking PG. Nba arms race is on

They are 2 years behind in completing this trade. Better late than never I guess. The Wolves looking good in the construction of their roster.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 9:33pm On Jul 01, 2022
Wait what's Gobert and KAT doing on the same team grin grin. Unless they are trying to trade KAT, this makes zero sense
Re: The NBA Begins by felix00(m): 10:19pm On Jul 01, 2022
Re: The NBA Begins by felix00(m): 10:20pm On Jul 01, 2022
Roland17:

Man is all noise..

They are 2 years behind in completing this trade. Better late than never I guess. The Wolves looking good in the construction of their roster.

Really? What about KAT?
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 10:44pm On Jul 01, 2022
etidy:
Wait what's Gobert and KAT doing on the same team grin grin. Unless they are trying to trade KAT, this makes zero sense

KAT just signed the Supermax, it makes sense if look at what happened in the league last year. The Cavs played with a twin towers of Modley and Allen and I think a lot of teams were intrigued by how well it worked especially on the defensive end.
On offense we all know KAT stays on the perimeter a lot so Gorbert and he can fit in at least on paper.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 11:04pm On Jul 01, 2022
felix00:

Really? What about KAT?

KAT is a very versatile Big in comparison to Gobert. He is able to score well on 2 of the 3 levels and an ok perimeter defender. Many teams are now employing double position players at the same time on the court. I understand your concerns because I worry their transition offense will slow down a lot but that half court P&R is going to be deadly and they can set those P&R multiple times if both players are on the court. Defensively, they are going to be stronger with the addition of Gobert, remember KAT struggles with foul troubles.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 11:27pm On Jul 01, 2022
My Celtics add D. Gallinari. I am kind of indifferent about this trade. At 34 and a 2nd year option, he can provide good offense, especially perimeter scoring but on defense? Man can't stop a snail including one without a shell grin
#greenrunsdeep

4 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 11:35pm On Jul 01, 2022
Khanben:

KAT just signed the Supermax, it makes sense if look at what happened in the league last year. The Cavs played with a twin towers of Modley and Allen and I think a lot of teams were intrigued by how well it worked especially on the defensive end.
On offense we all know KAT stays on the perimeter a lot so Gorbert and he can fit in at least on paper.
It's a wings league bro. yes KAT has some perimeter game but he's not KD. Anthony Edward's is not a renowned shooter either. That leaves you lacking a lot of shooting. Teams will small ball them off the court.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 11:44pm On Jul 01, 2022
etidy:
It's a wings league bro. yes KAT has some perimeter game but he's not KD. Anthony Edward's is not a renowned shooter either. That leaves you lacking a lot of shooting. Teams will small ball them off the court.

They will figure it out, Gorbert and KAT will probably stagger minutes to ensure that at least one of them is on the court for the whole game, which will help their rebounding numbers. If they can move Dlo for a PG with a bit more defensive chops I think it can work
Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 7:53am On Jul 02, 2022
Khanben:

They will figure it out, Gorbert and KAT will probably stagger minutes to ensure that at least one of them is on the court for the whole game, which will help their rebounding numbers. If they can move Dlo for a PG with a bit more defensive chops I think it can work
LOL what's the Point paying a supermax for two centers you can't play together grin grin

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 1:54pm On Jul 02, 2022
etidy:

LOL what's the Point paying a supermax for two centers you can't play together grin grin

They will play together, but one or both of them will be on the court for every minute of a game. The reason they did it is because of how bad their defense is, even with all the Beverley gragra they were like 24th in defensive rating. Gorbert on his own makes a team a top 10 defense. So if their defense becomes that, they might have enough scoring to make the playoffs without going through the play-in

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 7:30pm On Jul 02, 2022
Khanben:

They will play together, but one or both of them will be on the court for every minute of a game. The reason they did it is because of how bad their defense is, even with all the Beverley gragra they were like 24th in defensive rating. Gorbert on his own makes a team a top 10 defense. So if their defense becomes that, they might have enough scoring to make the playoffs without going through the play-in

Baba we all saw how well Al Horford and embiid worked. Unless KAT turns into Durant. This move is crap. We haven't seen something like this work since Duncan and David Robinson and that was a totally different league back then.

A sign and trade for a wing like Zach lavine would have made a million more sense, even a trade for brogdon which would have been cheaper would be more sensible.
Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 10:22pm On Jul 02, 2022
Mehn,just been following posts about my gee, K.D. Sentiment will not allow me post coz he's my favorite but gotta admit he effd up so bad. But I want to put more of the blame(for Brooklyn failure) on Kyrie. I think he deserves it more. Kyrie will be a good fit for the Lakers tho but just wondering which will be the best team for K.D?Maybe we can discuss that here
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 3:35am On Jul 03, 2022
aliondo:
Mehn,just been following posts about my gee, K.D. Sentiment will not allow me post coz he's my favorite but gotta admit he effd up so bad. But I want to put more of the blame(for Brooklyn failure) on Kyrie. I think he deserves it more. Kyrie will be a good fit for the Lakers tho but just wondering which will be the best team for K.D?Maybe we can discuss that here

You dey scarce for here brah. The moment KD listened to Kyrie, that was the beginning of the end. I dont think Kyrie fits anywhere to be honest, and I am not sold on his skills. Kyrie has always been a streaky shooter, will win you some games, and lose a lot more. People need to shine their eye on this cat.

As for KD, I would like to see him on the Bulls team - I think that crew fits his personality and playing style very well. Even if they dont win a ring, I think he would be happy there.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 6:23am On Jul 03, 2022
etidy:

Baba we all saw how well Al Horford and embiid worked. Unless KAT turns into Durant. This move is crap. We haven't seen something like this work since Duncan and David Robinson and that was a totally different league back then.

A sign and trade for a wing like Zach lavine would have made a million more sense, even a trade for brogdon which would have been cheaper would be more sensible.

Did you watch the Cavs at all last season. Modgley and Allen played well together and none of them can shoot like KAT. Embiid and AL did not work because the sixers had Simmons who cannot shoot at all as a PG.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1965) (1966) (1967) (1968) (1969) (1970) (1971) ... (2201) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: A40(m), larride(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.