Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,919 members, 7,821,218 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (2146) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1633280 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2143) (2144) (2145) (2146) (2147) (2148) (2149) ... (2217) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:19am On Aug 14, 2023
birdman:

Even with Timmy, they did not get a lot of attention. Not only was spurs bball very boring, Timmy D scored in very boring ways as well. Whenever they played the pistons under coach larry, those games would send you to sleep in the first minute grin

On Tony's place in the first 75 - truth is most of the rankings are subjective and actually nonsense. For example no one ever mentions Admiral. Dude was a legit option to Shaq, bested Shaq for scoring title once by dropping 70+. How much higher would Giannis be if he was in a bigger market with no accent? similar for Hakeem? Can you compare dropping 70 today to dropping 70 20 years ago? Of course not. You cant even compare the rings - free agency was nothing like it is today.

I love this take and perspective
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 8:51am On Aug 14, 2023
They lied.

As I always say, do am if e easy.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:28pm On Aug 14, 2023
Roland17:

Tony suffered the most under coach Pop, who was very hard on him, especially early on. I was listening to his speech and he said Timmy did not talk to him for a year until after the season he became a starter. Remember the Spurs almost traded for J. Kidd but Kidd decided otherwise.
I think it also has something to do with the San Antonio small market and ownership. If not for Timmy, the Spurs championships would probably not get a lot of attention. I remember even when they were winning, they barely got National attention.
Tony too was a bit of a crazeman. Especially with his off court activities

I really do believe he never got his due credit at all. Even as underrated as Tim Duncan might have been he's still unanimously recognized as the GOAT PF but Tony Parker never gets no mention at all.

I think back in the day people really hated the Spurs. People forget they were a bit of a slowdown dirty team that did whatever it took to win. Forget the 09/10 Finals the 04/05 was the most closely contested I ever saw in my life. Especially Games 5-7

The Spurs being so unlikeable till they suffered that crushing loss to the Heat then came back the next year to play what I call Samba basketball to dismantle the Heat was when they started getting their props.

Being foreigners too might have been another factor and then there's Pop who is the complete opposite of say a Phil Jackson as far as dealing with the media
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:48pm On Aug 14, 2023
birdman:

Even with Timmy, they did not get a lot of attention. Not only was spurs bball very boring, Timmy D scored in very boring ways as well. Whenever they played the pistons under coach larry, those games would send you to sleep in the first minute grin

On Tony's place in the first 75 - truth is most of the rankings are subjective and actually nonsense. For example no one ever mentions Admiral. Dude was a legit option to Shaq, bested Shaq for scoring title once by dropping 70+. How much higher would Giannis be if he was in a bigger market with no accent? similar for Hakeem? Can you compare dropping 70 today to dropping 70 20 years ago? Of course not. You cant even compare the rings - free agency was nothing like it is today.
The good old days. When ninjas had fundamentals and weren't just spamming 3s anyhow

I didn't consider the Spurs boring, I hated them but they were not boring. The Eastern conference teams were the boring ones. Jason Kidd dragging that dead Nets team to back to back Finals, AI dragging that dead Sixers team to the Finals. That was Haram Taliban basketball

But yeah the Spurs vs Pistons haha pure war. When you see that Ben Wallace fro you know you're in for a hard night [pause]

Robinson gets his props. He was top 50, top 75. Won a league MVP. Parker got nothing, almost surprised he made HOF sef with the little respect he gets in hoop conversations.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 4:42pm On Aug 14, 2023
A40:
Tony too was a bit of a crazeman. Especially with his off court activities

I really do believe he never got his due credit at all. Even as underrated as Tim Duncan might have been he's still unanimously recognized as the GOAT PF but Tony Parker never gets no mention at all.

I think back in the day people really hated the Spurs. People forget they were a bit of a slowdown dirty team that did whatever it took to win. Forget the 09/10 Finals the 04/05 was the most closely contested I ever saw in my life. Especially Games 5-7

The Spurs being so unlikeable till they suffered that crushing loss to the Heat then came back the next year to play what I call Samba basketball to dismantle the Heat was when they started getting their props.

Being foreigners too might have been another factor and then there's Pop who is the complete opposite of say a Phil Jackson as far as dealing with the media

Small markets are disadvantaged when it comes to coverage of the league. Shaq and Penny's run in Orlando is another underrated period in the league and it buttresses my point about small markets. No way Shaq would have enjoyed this level of notoriety if he remained in Orlando, even if they eventually won a Championship. Timmy was and is still the most talented player to ever play in San Antonio and that is why he is heads above the rest. It is the same thing Giannis is struggling with in Milwaukee. Despite being the best player for nearly 2 seasons, the Bucks don't get a lot of attention/ coverage.

Tony was a hard worker. Did you listen to Pop's speech about Tony? According to Pop, Tony was whinny, soft and complained too much and he flat out did not like him after that workout. Tony failed/ disappointed in his first tryout but his agent convinced Pop to give him another workout. Pop went to the streets and fetched 4 tough cats to play 4v1 against Tony and Tony whopped them by himself and that was when Pop agreed to draft him. Tony was a hard worker and thanks to Pop his game expanded massively as he aged. Even the Admiral did not know the peak of his physical strength until Pop unleased him..man was looking like a tank!

For me, I think the small market played a big role. Tony was an unconventional type of guard who was also foreign and at the time it did not make his style attractive. Every time CP3/ Curry takes the ball and circles under the rim, I remember Tony Parker because he started that. He would take the ball and just dribble under the rim, this helped reset the defense.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 6:16pm On Aug 14, 2023
Harden is openly calling GM Morey a liar grin

See, I knew this day would come. Morey is responsible for spoiling Harden and letting him go to Vegas and skip practice with no consequence while in Houston. The parent that spoils the child will las las receive due reward from the spoilt child

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 11:35pm On Aug 14, 2023
birdman:

See, I knew this day would come. Morey is responsible for spoiling Harden and letting him go to Vegas and skip practice with no consequence while in Houston. The parent that spoils the child will las las receive due reward from the spoilt child

Harden thinks he's still a superstar. He's overestimating his power in this league. He keeps this up and he'll be playing in China soon.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 2:59pm On Aug 15, 2023
steady986:

Harden thinks he's still a superstar. He's overestimating his power in this league. He keeps this up and he'll be playing in China soon.

I think Morey may have promised him future max contract. But Harden needs to be honest with himself. Even with his paycut, he still earned too much for the rubbish he played last season.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:57am On Aug 16, 2023
birdman:

They deserve each other. Overrated player and overrated GM

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 12:15pm On Aug 16, 2023
birdman:

I think Morey may have promised him future max contract. But Harden needs to be honest with himself. Even with his paycut, he still earned too much for the rubbish he played last season.

I think Morey promised him he'll get traded (to the Clippers) if he opts in his player option. Now the Clippers are using that as leverage to offer crap pieces in a trade for Harden. Sixers say they don't want what Clippers are offering and so the trade is off. I can't really blame Morey.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 2:29pm On Aug 16, 2023
A40:
They deserve each other. Overrated player and overrated GM

Morey started out good. His use of analytics to make good trades was very novel at the time. But over time it became obvious Morey is very good with numbers, but his common sense and emotional intelligence is terrible.

For example the capela-covington trade that left us without a center. He had all the analytics on how it would help Westbrook be better, but it was obviously a dumb move. And it showed on the court.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nigeriagood(m): 2:32pm On Aug 16, 2023
Popular opinion: curry is the greatest shooter of all time
Re: The NBA Begins by Kibbs(m): 4:32pm On Aug 16, 2023
Nigeriagood:
Unpopular opinion: curry is the greatest shooter of all time

How is this unpopular opinion fam?
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 6:49pm On Aug 16, 2023
birdman:

Morey started out good. His use of analytics to make good trades was very novel at the time. But over time it became obvious Morey is very good with numbers, but his common sense and emotional intelligence is terrible.

For example the capela-covington trade that left us without a center. He had all the analytics on how it would help Westbrook be better, but it was obviously a dumb move. And it showed on the court.
That's the problem with one trick pony analytics nerds. Now that the league requires you to balance your scoring he can't adapt
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:48pm On Aug 16, 2023
The way Stephen A cooked Rich Paul on that podcast P show is too funny.

Like nigga we get Bron is your benefactor/oluranlowo but you just have to make peace with the fact that a clear majority of basketball fans across the generations still consider Jordan the Greatest. It's going to remain that way till the entire Millenial generation die out at the very least.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 7:01am On Aug 17, 2023
If LeBron was a little more stingy with the ball like the other people on this list, he probably would have broken Kareem's record a long time ago. Do you know what it means to be no. 1 in points and no. 4 in assists? It basically means you look for your teammates almost as much as you look to score yourself.

4 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 7:13am On Aug 17, 2023
steady986:
If LeBron was a little more stingy with the ball like the other people on this list, he probably would have broken Kareem's record a long time ago. Do you know what it means to be no. 1 in points and no. 4 in assists? It basically means you look for your teammates almost as much as you look to score yourself.

In terms of regular season stats, Lebron will end up when it's all said and done with 40k+ pts, 10k+assists and 10k+ rebounds. That's just incredible and we might never see someone do that again

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 7:53pm On Aug 17, 2023
Khanben:

In terms of regular season stats, Lebron will end up when it's all said and done with 40k+ pts, 10k+assists and 10k+ rebounds. That's just incredible and we might never see someone do that again

Would be very difficult to replicate. All round guys like Harden, Russ, Luka and Jokic are reasonable candidates but they'd have to be great for 20+ years. Russ and Harden are already passed it. Jokic started slow and so won't make it. That leaves Luka. My best guess is he too won't make it.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 9:55pm On Aug 17, 2023
steady986:

You right. Thats why to me, the most important thing about Lebron is not really even that he passes too much as opposed to ball hogging to get more points. It really is about his mindset, and the drive to keep getting better each year, even after getting fat contracts.

When you see jokers like Harden trying to get max contract after coming to camp rusty and out of shape, you appreciate the true greatness of Lebron. Almost 40 and 4 rings, and the guy comes into camp like a sophomore with something to prove. Meanwhile some cats are buying shares in strip clubs from vegas to htown.

I rank Lebron with MJ, Magic, Jabbar, Russell and Kobe for that reason. Its not just dropping points and rings. Its also that mindset that comes with it. that lifestyle, that day and night grind even when you already achieved so much! Giannis should be on this roster before his career is over if he ever solves his jumpshots and freethrows. Game over for the league!

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 12:00am On Aug 18, 2023
Shannon Sharpe joining First Take. Finally someone to keep Stephen A. in check.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 12:03am On Aug 18, 2023
birdman:

You right. Thats why to me, the most important thing about Lebron is not really even that he passes too much as opposed to ball hogging to get more points. It really is about his mindset, and the drive to keep getting better each year, even after getting fat contracts.

When you see jokers like Harden trying to get max contract after coming to camp rusty and out of shape, you appreciate the true greatness of Lebron. Almost 40 and 4 rings, and the guy comes into camp like a sophomore with something to prove. Meanwhile some cats are buying shares in strip clubs from vegas to htown.

I rank Lebron with MJ, Magic, Jabbar, Russell and Kobe for that reason. Its not just dropping points and rings. Its also that mindset that comes with it. that lifestyle, that day and night grind even when you already achieved so much! Giannis should be on this roster before his career is over if he ever solves his jumpshots and freethrows. Game over for the league!

And no off the court dramas too

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 12:53pm On Aug 18, 2023
steady986:

Would be very difficult to replicate. All round guys like Harden, Russ, Luka and Jokic are reasonable candidates but they'd have to be great for 20+ years. Russ and Harden are already passed it. Jokic started slow and so won't make it. That leaves Luka. My best guess is he too won't make it.

Of all the players playing now Luka is probably the only one with a negligible chance. One very underrated thing about everyone in the 30k pts club is that their scoring had to age well. It's just truly remarkable IMHO

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 12:58pm On Aug 18, 2023
birdman:

You are absolutely correct, there is a reason why a lot of those guys have been the face of the league at one time or another. It is not just about doing it on the court but also making sure you are relatively drama free off it. Then there is the grind and willingness to improve or at the very least adapt your game to ensure that you continue to perform at a high level for as long as possible.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by chic2pimp(m): 2:09pm On Aug 19, 2023
Roland17

Wander Franco is about to throw His career away smh.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 6:43pm On Aug 19, 2023
chic2pimp:
Roland17

Wander Franco is about to throw His career away smh.

Sadly, he already did. I don’t see how he plays another MLB game in the US. To imagine he only signed a $182M contract and got married 2 years ago.
Re: The NBA Begins by chic2pimp(m): 10:05pm On Aug 19, 2023
Roland17:

Sadly, he already did. I don’t see how he plays another MLB game in the US. To imagine he only signed a $182M contract and got married 2 years ago.

Tbh unless there is concrete evidence that He did actually sleep with Her, I won't be too sure. He'll get suspended and slowly be integrated back into the team. If there is however, then it's off to Japan to join Trevor Baeur. Btw is there a clause that allows the Rays to cancel His contract if Something major occurs seeing He still has a lot of years left on His guaranteed contract?
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 12:28am On Aug 20, 2023
That's all LeFans know. Coulda, woulda. Always living in a fantastic fantasy. cheesy grin Continue.
steady986:

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 1:20am On Aug 20, 2023
benji93:
That's all LeFans know. Coulda, woulda. Always living in a fantastic fantasy. cheesy grin Continue.

At least we woke you up. I sense some admiration there grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 1:35am On Aug 20, 2023
chic2pimp:

Tbh unless there is concrete evidence that He did actually sleep with Her, I won't be too sure. He'll get suspended and slowly be integrated back into the team. If there is however, then it's off to Japan to join Trevor Baeur. Btw is there a clause that allows the Rays to cancel His contract if Something major occurs seeing He still has a lot of years left on His guaranteed contract?

Not just the Rays but most professional sports in the US now include “conducts detrimental to reputation of the team” as grounds to terminate a contract, especially guaranteed long term contracts. Honestly, I’d be shocked if he plays another game in the US.

The investigation is being handled by the Dominican Republic and that may be his only saving grace, considering he can manipulate the system there. Or DM would not want one of its most prolific athlete suffer so they manipulate the investigation and come out with nothing.
Re: The NBA Begins by chic2pimp(m): 2:55am On Aug 20, 2023
Roland17:

Not just the Rays but most professional sports in the US now include “conducts detrimental to reputation of the team” as grounds to terminate a contract, especially guaranteed long term contracts. Honestly, I’d be shocked if he plays another game in the US.

The investigation is being handled by the Dominican Republic and that may be his only saving grace, considering he can manipulate the system there. Or DM would not want one of its most prolific athlete suffer so they manipulate the investigation and come out with nothing.

Oh He is in trouble then. Grounds for contract termination does not get any better than this. The only reason why I never say never is because there will always be a team or two willing to ride the wave and take a chance on a Superstar level player if the investigation finds in His favour. Most thought Deshaun Watson would be out of the league now alas no. Hell Trevor Baeur would be making £25-£30M a year right now if He knew when to shut up and not burn His bridges with MLB owners and the Commissioner. Many teams are currently badly in need of quality pitching.

Another Angle there sha. I am already rumours that She assured Him She was 18.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 4:03am On Aug 20, 2023
chic2pimp:

Oh He is in trouble then. Grounds for contract termination does not get any better than this. The only reason why I never say never is because there will always be a team or two willing to ride the wave and take a chance on a Superstar level player if the investigation finds in His favour. Most thought Deshaun Watson would be out of the league now alas no. Hell Trevor Baeur would be making £25-£30M a year right now if He knew when to shut up and not burn His bridges with MLB owners and the Commissioner. Many teams are currently badly in need of quality pitching.

Another Angle there sha. I am already rumours that She assured Him She was 18.

To my point about the Dominican Republic manipulating the system so he is cleared. The DM is a poor country and can’t afford to burn one of its own.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:05am On Aug 20, 2023
Sean O'Malley. That was a shocking knockout. Wow

(1) (2) (3) ... (2143) (2144) (2145) (2146) (2147) (2148) (2149) ... (2217) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.