Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,827 members, 7,862,727 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 02:35 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (2236) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1661579 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2233) (2234) (2235) (2236) (2237) (2238) (2239) ... (2257) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by afrodoc2: 4:34am On May 25
larride:

Gobert is still Wolves best rim protector. Gobert is not known for his offensive ability, KAT is the one that should be stepping up offensively like Naz Reid is doing but that man is mentally fragile.

That is not the point. We know KAT should step up, but Gobert also was still being dunked on at will on the defensive end. He was not protecting any rim in that 4th quarter and was a big problem offensively. You have to read the situation and try something different. The threat of KAT stretching the floor might have helped Ant to get going late in the game, instead every time Ant drove, he was met by 3 or 4 bodies.

If Ant plays at this mediocre level the Wolves will get swept. They need to set him up for 30–40-point explosion.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 4:35am On May 25
The Nuggets may have lost the series but I think they exposed Ant Man’s deficits. While I agree he is drained physically, he also struggles with size. Kidd is showing Ant Man size in multiple variations with Lively, Jones, Washington and Gafford. Each one of these guys go at Ant Man and have succeeded in draining whatever is left.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 4:39am On May 25
Roland17:

It’s a shame Gobert will get the sticks for that final play. Finch needs to apologize to Gobert and the Wolves. He should have subbed him out.

From the moment the possession was checked in, I knew whoever got the ball (Kyrie or Luka) was going to hunt Gobert even if it meant multiple switches until he finds it.

You can’t send a 7ft 2 Center that high to defend a great shooter like Luka. Also, some of these guys need to stop with “he is defensive player of the year” as the argument he should cover everything.

Gobert won DPOY as a center, rebounding on both ends, blocking or altering shots and other dirty works under the rim.. not as a perimeter defender defending guards, they are 2 totally different types of defending.

Correct.
Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 4:40am On May 25
afrodoc2:

That is what you get when you have 2 nuclear weapons that can score at all 3 levels and create for others at a high clip, and a premier defense.
And those 2 nuclear weapons are big game players.

If only Jamal and MPJ turns out in most of that Nuggets v Wolves series, Nuggets would've edge it.
Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 4:42am On May 25
afrodoc2:

That is not the point. We know KAT should step up, but Gobert also was still being dunked on at will on the defensive end. He was not protecting any rim in that 4th quarter and was a big problem offensively. You have to read the situation and try something different. The threat of KAT stretching the floor might have helped Ant to get going late in the game, instead every time Ant drove, he was met by 3 or 4 bodies.

If Ant plays at this mediocre level the Wolves will get swept. They need to set him up for 30–40-point explosion.

You are right about Ant. Game 3 will decide where this series will go. If Mavs take game 3, its bye bye

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 4:42am On May 25
Funny how I havent even thought of a Mavs v Celtic final. grin
Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 4:43am On May 25
Roland17:
The Nuggets may have lost the series but I think they exposed Ant Man’s deficits. While I agree he is drained physically, he also struggles with size. Kidd is showing Ant Man size in multiple variations with Lively, Jones, Washington and Gafford. Each one of these guys go at Ant Man and have succeeded in draining whatever is left.

Bros please check your mail. Sent you something this afternoon.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 4:44am On May 25
From their first possession when Finch called a timeout with less than 5 seconds into the game, I knew they were not ready.

With all of this said, the Wolves just need to win one in Dallas to push this series. I think they can get one in Dallas to push this thing.

Finch has to coach better, they are losing big leads and have been unable to close games.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 4:56am On May 25
Roland17:
From their first possession when Finch called a timeout with less than 5 seconds into the game, I knew they were not ready.

With all of this said, the Wolves just need to win one in Dallas to push this series. I think they can get one in Dallas to push this thing.

Finch has to coach better, they are losing big leads and have been unable to close games.
Mavericks is not Nuggets. If Minny doesn't win both games in Dallas this series no go go pass 5.

Timberwolves had the free throw edge. But Mavs don't even need it. Their bigs have such an advantage over Minny cos of the easy buckets Kyrie and Luka set them up with. They're not facing a Jokic that 3 bigs can tag team and take turns to spar with.

Just Luka torching their drop coverage and getting them awoof points

I said last series that people were criminally overrating Antman's defense and these guys were just missing wide open shots. Let him try and guard anybody again make I see. He will learn that AC no be fan

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 4:59am On May 25
Roland17:

It’s a shame Gobert will get the sticks for that final play. Finch needs to apologize to Gobert and the Wolves. He should have subbed him out.

From the moment the possession was checked in, I knew whoever got the ball (Kyrie or Luka) was going to hunt Gobert even if it meant multiple switches until he finds it.

You can’t send a 7ft 2 Center that high to defend a great shooter like Luka. Also, some of these guys need to stop with “he is defensive player of the year” as the argument he should cover everything.

Gobert won DPOY as a center, rebounding on both ends, blocking or altering shots and other dirty works under the rim.. not as a perimeter defender defending guards, they are 2 totally different types of defending.

That's the thing about modern basketball that I particularly love. The coach had to make a decision, live with Gobert being switched unto either Kyrie/ Luka or pull Gobert like you all have suggested and put your best rim protector on the bench. Personally I would have chosen the later because even if they get an easier look at the rim and make it, the game at that point is still tied.
Gobert like I said earlier did the best he could

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 5:04am On May 25
A40:

Mavericks is not Nuggets. If Minny doesn't win both games in Dallas this series no go go pass 5.

Timberwolves had the free throw edge. But Mavs don't even need it. Their bigs have such an advantage over Minny cos of the easy buckets Kyrie and Luka set them up with. They're not facing a Jokic that 3 bigs can tag team and take turns to spar with.

I said last series that people were criminally overrating Antman's defense and these guys were just missing wide open shots. Let him try and guard anybody again make I see. He will learn that AC no be fan

It's not really over rating his defense it's about bad match-up. Against Denver he was playing Jamal who is his size and less athletic so it was perfect. Against the Mavericks he has on one side Luka who is bigger and way stronger than him on one hand and Kyrie whose speed and quickness is usually overlooked because of his legendary handles.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 5:07am On May 25
A40:

In games where Nuggets actually get their defense spot on, we saw how it rendered Ant Man in effective by having Braun on him.

Mavs pose a different challenge to Nugget and the Wolves has not been able to fully work around it.

Mavs also cant keep relying on doing comeback every game, it's not sustainable.
Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 5:09am On May 25
Khanben:

That's the thing about modern basketball that I particularly love. The coach had to make a decision, live with Gobert being switched unto either Kyrie/ Luka or pull Gobert like you all have suggested and put your best rim protector on the bench. Personally I would have chosen the later because even if they get an easier look at the rim and make it, the game at that point is still tied.
Gobert like I said earlier did the best he could

Gobert get blamed for most of their defeats while he get zero praise when they win. Must be hard.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 5:10am On May 25
Khanben:

It's not really over rating his defense it's about bad match-up. Against Denver he was playing Jamal who is his size and less athletic so it was perfect. Against the Mavericks he has on one side Luka who is bigger and way stronger than him on one hand and Kyrie whose speed and quickness is usually overlooked because of his legendary handles.

It does help that Jamal was ghosting till game 7 also.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 5:26am On May 25
larride:

It does help that Jamal was ghosting till game 7 also.

Yes, he wasn't himself at all
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 5:28am On May 25
larride:

Gobert get blamed for most of their defeats while he get zero praise when they win. Must be hard.

Seriously I sometimes pity him. This narrative driven talk shows just pick favorites and roll with it.
Re: The NBA Begins by afrodoc2: 5:34am On May 25
larride:

The guy should knock down a few 4 ft shots now and then. God abeg o.

How can you be under the rim with an undersized defender and you are either passing up shots or missing layups.

If the media wants to cook you, don’t help them to buy the oil and pepper.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 6:02am On May 25
Khanben:

Naa it is. I watched Game 6 and 7 again. Game 6 especially when the game was within reach. These guys were missing bunnies, layups, it's like the devil Magic from the Lakers series expired.

Make no mistake about it. The Nuggets offense collapsed in a historical way. Some of the misses were unbelievable. Equivalent of Yakubu in 2010 WC

There's this myth that he has been some defensive stopper but honestly they were just missing shots. You can see that all that two way exertion is also crippling his offense.

He is lacking that burst to beat his first man and credit to Kidd and his defensive schemes. Reminds me of what the Mavs did to LeNomad in 2011. I don't think people understand how good this Mavs defense is. They're basically daring the Wolves to spam 3s betting that they will eventually go cold as the game wears on. Made 8 in the first half only 4 in the second
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 6:07am On May 25
larride:

In games where Nuggets actually get their defense spot on, we saw how it rendered Ant Man in effective by having Braun on him.

Mavs pose a different challenge to Nugget and the Wolves has not been able to fully work around it.

Mavs also cant keep relying on doing comeback every game, it's not sustainable.
It's a lot easier for the Mavs to comeback because they have not one but two perimeter creators.

It's not like Nuggets with Jokic always having to carry all the load.

Stan Van Gundy called the Mavs backcourt arguably the best offensive backcourt in league history. There's a reason why.

Gafford and Lively on any other team. Completely useless and unplayable. With the Mavs however they're each guaranteed 3-4 easy buckets minimum
Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 8:23am On May 25
A40:
You already know that abominable donkey will stylishly slander him again.

They just set him up for failure

I am with draymond sha, you can't be 4 times DPOY and you're a only good at the rim in this era of positionless basketball.

Draymond winning one Dpoy is just as bad as Shaq and Kobe winning one MVP.

I don't care about the context of individual seasons, Draymond is just so far ahead of gobert over the course of their career.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by greypencils: 10:25am On May 25
afrodoc2:

Gobert should have been subbed out for that last play. He played too many minutes in that 4th quarter IMO. Liability on offense individually, helped Mavs pack the paint against Ant, and was being exploited in certain spots on defense. What they were doing wasn't working, i would have tried KAT and Naz together more.
My opinion too. Gobert is too slow, Naz Reid is more nimble. Defence is more about speed than length.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by greypencils: 10:28am On May 25
afrodoc2:

That is what you get when you have 2 nuclear weapons that can score at all 3 levels and create for others at a high clip, and a premier defense.
And those 2 nuclear weapons are big game players.
Until they meet Celtics and turn into pussy cats. If they can't stop Celtics with all their rogbodiyan, they had better allow Minny.
Re: The NBA Begins by afrodoc2: 10:34am On May 25
greypencils:
My opinion too. Gobert is too slow, Naz Reid is more nimble. Defence is more about speed than length.

DPOY and people are begging the coach to take you out of the game for a key defensive stop. Even the rim protection lazzident as Lively and Gafford were slamming in dunk after dunk. Then you sit down in the paint and turn Ant-Man's driving lane into a molue situation.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The NBA Begins by afrodoc2: 10:36am On May 25
greypencils:
Until they meet Celtics and turn into pussy cats. If they can't stop Celtics with all their rogbodiyan, they had better allow Minny.

Whichever of them meets the Celtics had better not mess up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 10:42am On May 25
afrodoc2:

Celtics might win their first championship in over a decade.
Re: The NBA Begins by greypencils: 10:46am On May 25
afrodoc2:

DPOY and people are begging the coach to take you out of the game for a key defensive stop. Even the rim protection lazzident as Lively and Gafford were slamming in dunk after dunk. Then you sit down in the paint and turn Ant-Man's driving lane into a molue situation.
If Finch had any sense, he would sit Gobert out in Game 3. Reid can still defend the perimeter while adding length in the paint. If they can win Nuggets in game 2 without Gobert, they definitely can win Mavs without him. They need to sit his arse down. Either him or Macdaniels. Reid simply has to play more minutes. Say you win 6th man no mean say make you continue to be 6th man. Put that brother on the floor.
Re: The NBA Begins by greypencils: 10:48am On May 25
afrodoc2:

Na the problem be that. I don't care who wins between Mavs and Minny. I just don't want Celtics to win. Make Roland no vex. Celtics is to me, what Chelsea and Man City is to me as a Man Utd fan.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by donlittle25: 11:10am On May 25
greypencils:
Na the problem be that. I don't care who wins between Mavs and Minny. I just don't want Celtics to win. Make Roland no vex. Celtics is to me, what Chelsea and Man City is to me as a Man Utd fan.
The Hate, I respect it. As a professional hater of one the supposed Greatest player to ever play the game of basketball, I respect it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by Acebrain28(m): 11:19am On May 25
Please Sorry for derailing

Dear people please show some love to me

Nothing is too little ..
Today 25th May is my birthday.
Help put a smile on my family on this birth date of mine!

Access Bank

God bless you abundantly!

Re: The NBA Begins by afrodoc2: 11:38am On May 25
greypencils:

100%.

I have disliked the Celtics since the 80s. I dislike the Lakers only slightly less.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 11:42am On May 25
afrodoc2:

100%.

I have disliked the Celtics since the 80s. I dislike the Lakers only slightly less.

Which franchise do you support sir?
Re: The NBA Begins by afrodoc2: 12:01pm On May 25
larride:

Which franchise do you support sir?

Omo i be ashewo for this basketball thing. I liked the Rockets and Bulls in 80s and 90s for obvious reasons but i think the only team i have been truly emotionally connected to is the mid 2000s Pistons. That is the best defensive team i have ever seen and they went against gods with no superstars.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2233) (2234) (2235) (2236) (2237) (2238) (2239) ... (2257) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.