Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,276 members, 7,954,091 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:14 PM

To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. - Politics (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. (59971 Views)

Zara John: "I Miss My Boko Haram Husband Who Impregnated Me" / Boko Haram And Jonathan: The Truth Unfolds - Thisday / My Boko Haram Saga, By Negotiator Stephen Davis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by aribisala0(m): 5:45pm On Dec 30, 2011
The Yoruba have their own religion which is going nowhere.
There are several deities and everyone is free to choose which one to worship.As such new  religions can only join the market and compete. In order to understand the Yoruba approach to religion this fundamental idea must be grasped .
Without understanding this freedom people will never understand how two married Yoruba people can be either christian or muslim.Of course not everyone is like that but as a people freedom of religion is in our DNA.
Christianity and Islam however,are fundamentalist religions that damn everyone that does NOT buy into their beliefs.

Religious conflict is quite alien to most traditional Africans
Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by Nigeria4rm60s: 8:56pm On Aug 10, 2012
Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by mandarin: 10:08am On Mar 15, 2013
Am reading this thread just now and will want to share my thoughts.
We have a mix of religious beliefs among our staff and the lifestyle of some of the Yoruba Muslims are commendable not just because one of them has a Christian wife but he said that he tried to educate his children in Islam but the choice to become Christians will be left to them in due course.
I brought up this to show how liberal some of Yoruba muslims are. Generally, Yoruba people have this cultural affinity that rise above religion sentiment which is responsible for an employer for instance to prefer a Yoruba christian to a Hausa Muslim even if he is a Muslim himself. Culture( i do not mean atheism) comes before religion and this is the bond in a progressive society. Yoruba people are used to polytheism even in the days of idol worship, many families have different gods and communities and regions have different gods, and the entire race have general gods but all believed in a God - Olodumare, Olorun to which they subscribed as the ultimate God whom other gods are His messengers.
Today, the same scenario is playing out and the people accept this plurality of beliefs or at least accept it as part of the society. Yoruba people have the highest rates of muslims becoming christains|(converts) in Nigeria, maybe in the world but no hell is letting lose as a result. Many erstwhile christain orthodox members are pentecostal leaders today. I believe its a reflection of the social advancement of the Yoruba and this is a lesson to other parts of Africa.

2 Likes

Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by penzino(m): 10:20am On Mar 15, 2013
Nchara: I was in Kano in 1999/2000 during the Sagamu riots and I saw Yoruba muslims being hacked to death by northern muslims even after identifying themselves to be muslims. Fake religion, fake people.
same tin happened in april 2011 in kaduna... Dose people are unbelievable.
Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by ayyoshert: 2:36pm On May 15, 2013
the major players in the utter destruction of the entity called Biafra are Obasanjo and Benjamin Adekunle 'Red Scorpion'.
so y would the Igbos Stereotype the Yorubas as Cowards, is it 'Hard Feelings" syndrome. Check the war history of the yoruba nation in the far back pre colonial era. Yoruba people are fearless fighters whose history for the past almost three past centuries were marked with wars both civil and against external mauraders. Being diplomatic does not mean being cowardly.

4 Likes

Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:12pm On May 15, 2013
ayyoshert: Being diplomatic does not mean being cowardly.

They will never understand this.

4 Likes

Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jun 21, 2013
Killing and kidnapping is every where in naija ok. 4 example the recent killing in lautech. So dont critisize the igbos ok. Igbos are unique in nature
Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 14, 2013
Yoruba people are not religious bigots no matter how fanatical their view is. Igbo people are predominantly Christians and view the emergence of Igbo-Muslims as taboo and bastards, something Yorubas will never do.
An average northern person is very fanatical about Islam, they believe the best islam is practised by them, this is why they kill christians and non-hausa muslims at any slightest provocation. Giving the chance, the Northern Muslim wouldn't mind religious cleansing.
But, the Yorubas remain a model to emulate, hatred apart.

1 Like

Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by RedSeaKing(m): 6:34am On Jan 14, 2015
The notion that Yoruba are more advanced than other ethnics is nothing but a myth and a playbook from the colonial masters. The British found the Yoruba to be submissive, servant and overall good pet to train. When they were leaving they ensured they kept those that were loyal to their rule and carried them on their shoulders have 'inherited' their rule.

They ensured they obtain all the institutions and education scholars in order to deliver the submissive above the self-confident resistant leaders.

To see who was more advanced one should look Nigeria before the British.

Anyone can be trained, given access to USAID, few scholars and promoted as "advanced" by his former master. Nothing but colonial stereotype in order to reward those who used to bow to them.

1 Like

Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by Nobody: 7:06am On Jan 14, 2015
Boko Haram and their ilk will never learn anything. I am a Yoruba Christian who lives in the UAE whose people can't be 'out-muslimed' by their fellow muslims in Northern Nigeria - guess what happens regarding Islam and other faiths? There are churches and Indian temples in Dubai. Religious and ethnic tolerance isn't too difficult to achieve.
Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by anneedu: 4:08am On Mar 17, 2015
The banza bokwai in hausa history includes the yoruba Muslims but they hate them with passion from the very beginning, so I don't think they can emulate anything
Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by disumusa: 8:05pm On Aug 16, 2015
Nchara:

Yes I forgot that SALIENT point that Yoruba muslims are inconsequential muslims in Nigeria. They have no choice than to be good boys lol.
The other day Aregbesola was dining with Adeboye. Fake muslims, really. I understand Tinubu's wife is christian. Any surprises why the northern muslims don't take them seriously?
that is the advance,exposed,enlighten, and tolorant we are saying about yorubas.
Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by disumusa: 8:14pm On Aug 16, 2015
Nchara:

You are quite pathetic. So much empty-headedness. How many people have not been killed in the SW for:

1. Motor park leadership tussle
2. Local politics beginning from the wetie wetie days till today

3. How many banks closed in the SW in recent times due to hire-wired robberies and associated killings?

Keep living a fake life.

95 percent of arm robbers opraten in sw,yoruba land are ibo, some come to oprate and return to se, some base in sw.

30 perc of motor parck agbero are those ibo boy claiming, pretenden to be yorubas.
Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by disumusa: 8:24pm On Aug 16, 2015
dayokanu:

^^ Are you indirectly insulting Ojuku the legendary coward who ran way to Abidjan in the heat of war?

He is the most cowardly black man to ever live.

How can a father scale the fence and run leaving his household at the mercy of invaders

Ojuku is a shame to all carriers of Y-chromosomes. No wonder his brother even helps him to nyansh his wife

He cant fight, he cant handle a woman of his age he had to molest teenage Biancar, Despite that he couldnt even nyansh the Biancar properly his brother, GEJ and son were taking turns on his wife
what about agu ironsi who knew they about to kill him he now cowardly run to hide in colnel fajuyi house pretending as if he came for visitation.
Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by disumusa: 8:31pm On Aug 16, 2015
freecocoa:
Oh please like you people don't have your own traditions? Learn islam,I laugh in boko haram,re-learn christianity,we would teach you christianity my friend cos we stand firm in it unlike you who don't know where to stand,ya'll are just pathetic.

Hahaha,did you say slaughter?please its too early to start with jokes,slaughter a chicken first before coming to talk about slaughtering a human being. Hediot.
go and ask your father what occure to them at ore during your civil riot you called war in ondo state. Wanderal race called ibo
Re: To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. by danniboy: 12:08pm On Jan 21, 2018
Bluetooth2:
Ibo lies
The oldest modern human dated 300 000 years has been found in Morocco. He lived before the so called Adam and Eve:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/morocco-early-human-fossils-anthropology-science/

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (Reply)

Aisha Jummai-Alhassan 1st Elected Female Governor As Tribunal Sacks Ishaku / Rivers State Assembly Crises - The Complete Videos / Meet Solomon Aranse, Police Inspector General (Acting)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.