Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,614 members, 7,816,524 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Building A Large Duplex In Enugu - Properties (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Large Duplex In Enugu (63380 Views)

Building A 2 Bedroom Flat / Cost Of Building A Four Bedroom Bungalow From Foundation. / Twin Duplex In Aso Rock Villa For Lease In Abuja With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:38pm On Feb 15, 2012
steo:

On this type of block, Don't you think the electrician should have started work before the lintel casting?. It would have been easier to pass the pips from the top without the need of block chiseling.

Good suggestion, but problematic sometimes. Remember the socket boxes are on the surface of the walls, it will be hard to align the pipes to match the level of the socket since pipes dropped from the top will not fall into the same line with the wall sockets. This is why piping is mostly done on the surface and not dropping pipes deep into the walls as this will mean the socket boxes will go deeper to align with the pipes. If these sockets move deeper the plastering will swallow it and it will not look fine.

Also look at it from this angle, if the electrician drops his pipes from the top before the lintels, the pipes will have to drop to the floor to be stable, dropping below the socket position, now how do you locate the pipe to fit sockets after the lintels as it will be completely hidden inside the blocks? by breaking more blocks till you are able to attach the sockets.

Pipes are best laid in concrete in the decking stage and not in lintel beams.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by steo: 12:50am On Feb 16, 2012
Thanks spyder for taking your time to explain. I completely see where you are coming from. I have no idea doing it that way will cause such problem. Points noted!
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by atasteve: 10:55am On Feb 16, 2012
za85:

@spyder well done.

I have a question. The stones are they not too heavy for the decking ? why stones and not the normal gravel or granite?

Lord Spyder880 pls lecture us on the stones I thought they are big. Meanwhile this wrk is wonderful, well done.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 9:59pm On Feb 16, 2012
atasteve:

Lord Spyder880 pls lecture us on the stones I thought they are big. Meanwhile this wrk is wonderful, well done.

Yes this is the decking and stones will be mixed, there will be the gravel, and these slightly larger sized stones for the deck, there is no stone too heavy for the house as every stone is heavy, gravel, granite or slightly larger stones. This size we are using to mix the gravel in a ratio of 4:1 (gravel:stone respectively) is the 1 inch aggregate stone, very high quality of it.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 2:09am On Feb 18, 2012
Things have been quiet on this thread of late, hope all is well with our teacher oh
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 4:47am On Feb 18, 2012
Just resting sir,
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by omanzo02: 1:34pm On Feb 18, 2012
spyder,

How easy/possible to run electrical wiring pipes thru solid block?

thanks.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 2:48pm On Feb 18, 2012
omanzo02:

spyder,

How easy/possible to run electrical wiring pipes thru solid block?

thanks.

Very easy, the guys doing it will find it so easy, even chiseling through concrete.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 4:10pm On Feb 18, 2012
spyder880:

Just resting sir,

I beg rest well oh
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by omanzo02: 5:55pm On Feb 18, 2012
spyder,

How is the new petrol/fuel prices affecting building materials like cement, sand, rods, labour etc?, I know most of those vehicle uses diesel, but knowing nigerians for what we  are, they increase price of everything even if it's not directly affect their operations.  grin grin grin grin
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 6:05pm On Feb 18, 2012
omanzo02:

spyder,

How is the new petrol/fuel prices affecting building materials like cement, sand, rods, labour etc?, I know most of those vehicle uses diesel, but knowing nigerians for what we  are, they increase price of everything even if it's not directly affect their operations.  grin grin grin grin

Great question and damn right that our people will always increase prices anyhow at any and every opportunity they have
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by omanzo02: 6:12pm On Feb 18, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Great question and damn right that our people will always increase prices anyhow at any and every opportunity they have

Of course, I wanted to order for some materials and the price I now hear has increased with about 25-30% than what I heard in december 2011 and early January, I just wanted spyder880 to confirm it since he buys materials at the moment.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:42pm On Feb 18, 2012
omanzo02:

spyder,

Yes, there has been some increase in the prices of building materials but not as high as we initially feared. Cement has added only N100-N150 since the fuel increase, the place where its biting me now is in labour costs, workers now want to charge more and blame it all on the higher cost of living occasioned by the inflation in food prices since early January.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 2:08am On Feb 19, 2012
spyder880:

Yes, there has been some increase in the prices of building materials but not as high as we initially feared. Cement has added only N100-N150 since the fuel increase, the place where its biting me now is in labour costs, workers now want to charge more and blame it all on the higher cost of living occasioned by the inflation in food prices since early January.

Do you use generator at all in any of your construction and uses gas instead of Diesel?
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by princeonx: 5:45am On Feb 19, 2012
prices increase in Nigeria with or without reason! prices in naija are like infant and they must grow! so even if cars start using water tomorrow, the nigeria I know will still increase prices on item.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 5:53am On Feb 19, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Do you use generator at all in any of your construction and uses gas instead of Diesel?

Not yet, its only in some finishing works that generators are used.

prince_onx:

prices increase in Nigeria with or without reason! prices in naija are like infant and they must grow! so even if cars start using water tomorrow, the nigeria I know will still increase prices on item.

True, am still battling with my bricklayers who think they must be paid more.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by omanzo02: 11:27am On Feb 20, 2012
spyder880:

Not yet, its only in some finishing works that generators are used.

True, am still battling with my bricklayers who think they must be paid more.

I'm going thru the same lol, The bricklayer I contacted was charging me N1000 per bag of cement, I insisted on N800, they always choke u with exorbitant prices.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 2:46pm On Feb 20, 2012
omanzo02:

I'm going thru the same lol, The bricklayer I contacted was charging me N1000 per bag of cement, I insisted on N800, they always choke u with exorbitant prices.

on which stage of the job is he charging 1k per bag of cemeent?
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by mysmoothie: 3:15pm On Feb 20, 2012
well done spyder, good job i must confess.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by sixtus4: 7:42pm On Feb 20, 2012
may be upper floor of building
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by omanzo02: 11:41am On Feb 21, 2012
spyder880:

on which stage of the job is he charging 1k per bag of cemeent?

For moulding blocks, and do u have any other idea to get around it?
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 1:04pm On Feb 21, 2012
omanzo02:

For moulding blocks, and do u have any other idea to get around it?

Is too much, block making should be 500-600 naira per bag to mold depending on the type of block. see my thread "the technology of block making" for more details.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 3:51pm On Feb 21, 2012
Another day for me to add to what i have learnt
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by sixtus4: 8:40pm On Feb 22, 2012
is not too much,but the issues is this,we should be concern with qualitywork and not quantity work
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 9:35pm On Feb 22, 2012
Still Learning . . . .
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by sixtus4: 9:52pm On Feb 22, 2012
as far as we are alive we always learn,is only the dead that does't learn
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by gmiky: 6:17pm On Feb 23, 2012
Reporting for lectures
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by sixtus4: 7:21pm On Feb 23, 2012
good
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 8:08pm On Feb 23, 2012
Updatessssssssssss
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 9:48pm On Feb 23, 2012
This site is starting up tomorrow after a minor break. Although we are just concerned with the integrity of the structure at this moment but planning ahead, we have to think about interiors. This is how the interior may look like.

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 9:56pm On Feb 23, 2012
That looks nice . . .
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by sixtus4: 7:52am On Feb 24, 2012
good work

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

How Is The Square Feet (sft) Of Plots/lands Converted To Square Metres (sqm)? / How Can I Build A 6 Bedroom Duplex With 6.5m Naira / How Much Is Your House Rent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.