Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,555 members, 7,819,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Building A Large Duplex In Enugu - Properties (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Large Duplex In Enugu (63419 Views)

Building A 2 Bedroom Flat / Cost Of Building A Four Bedroom Bungalow From Foundation. / Twin Duplex In Aso Rock Villa For Lease In Abuja With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by princeonx: 3:55pm On Feb 10, 2012
chidexy:

Those guys are really skillful in their molds

@ Spyder880, the living room is almost as large as a football pitch. Will you be needing a pillar at the middle of the room to hold the decking? Just being curious
I don't think the decking will cover the living room cux if it will, they need at least 10 pillars for the living area decking only! Most duplex don't! I stand to be corrected though.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by princeonx: 3:59pm On Feb 10, 2012
spyder880:

^^^^ Yes, the base is for the cover, he will cut it in half later and remove the sand, then mount the base and cast it with concrete before standing the columns.
I thought so! Thanks for explaining.
steo:

If today na exam, Oga Fhemmy be don fail. upon say na him dey attend class pas and class rep for that matter, lol
Ol'boy you know there's a lot on a man's mind. Am sure he will study before any test/exam lol!
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by chidexy(m): 5:27pm On Feb 10, 2012
I don come again hahahahaha. Apologies in advance for those who might think I am advocating for importation (I am not).

Oga Spyder880, why don't you consider getting some of those plastic manufacturing companies to prepare moulds for the concrete pillars and Balustrades for you (since you recurrently use them) instead of having to go through the pains of preparing sand models first and then casting molds. Consider this attached picture. Alternatively, there are concrete pillar molds made of cardboard, most are disposable, but with our ingenuity, could be reused.

Great work you are doing. Still awaiting a response on the living room decking

1 Like

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 5:38pm On Feb 10, 2012
steo:

If today na exam, Oga Fhemmy be don fail. upon say na him dey attend class pas and class rep for that matter, lol

Na lie, i no fit fail oh, i go do giraffe neck now
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 6:20pm On Feb 10, 2012
@ Chidexy, the sitting room is voided, meaning there wont be any decking on top of the sitting room. Thats why there wont be any pillars at the center of the sitting room.

As for the plastic/cardboard molds, though I have not seen the pictures you are talking about but this our method is the best. I am saying this because there isnt wastages with sand casts, (you still use the same sand in the casting process) its much better than spending the money buying molds, which you know will be in many forms to match differend pillar designs. What if the client wants the type of pillar not seen anywhere before, do we go and mold another design in plastic companies just for the client. Sand is better na, gives me the flexibility to change as many designs and styles as I want.

2 Likes

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 7:15pm On Feb 10, 2012
Keep The lecture coming . . ^^^
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by mahabone(m): 8:27pm On Feb 10, 2012
Dis block importer again" OSHEE O"

Spyder thanx a million 4 hammering tne nail squarely on the head.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 1:21am On Feb 11, 2012
^^^ But i think the mold that he showcase was a great thing . . . just waiting to read if such would be great for the pillar casting.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by chidexy(m): 9:14am On Feb 11, 2012
mahabone:

Dis block importer again" OSHEE O"

Spyder thanx a million 4 hammering tne nail squarely on the head.

What an epithet to use. Ever heard of exchange of ideas? Is anything wrong in bringing a new idea and system to improve on our own?

Concerning the molds, preformed standardized molds (I notice we don't operate with standards in Nigeria), is not only economical but better ergonomically and aesthetically. Why do you think Julius Berger's work is usually neater than what our indigenous construction companies does? They use standardized forms. Most of those plastic forms will cost less than 10,000 Naira and if one could use it for months or say years, then it pays off at the end of the day and saves too on the cost of using planks and plywood.

1 Like

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:03am On Feb 11, 2012
@ chidexy, much as I agree with you about the exchange of ideas, I think the negatives outweigh the positives of using molds to do designed pillars with these points;

1. Flexibility

With molds, you are constrained to certain shapes, and whenever you meet sizes that slightly differ from the size of the mold, that mold is useless for that job. I have had cases where I invented new shapes to carve with these workers, the first guy that wanted to do this work wanted to give us one heart shaped pillar, looking like love symbol. The client can come in and add another design and we can make it on the ground, combined creativity at its best.

2. Costs
Making molds will increase the cost of these pillars by about 20-30%. Think about transporting the molds, think about washing and maintaining it, and then the cost of making the mold, remember also that for me to make these molds at N10k each, I will spend N100k to make at least 10 shapes, wait for jobs to use it in, then pay for transport and also pay for these same guys to pour the molds, sounds like double trouble to me.

Julius Berger is big, very big. They can afford to keep molds because if they are building this house, they might charge N50 million for supervision, so they can afford to fling the casts into the bush after the house is done.

The way we do this one is very efficient, nothing goes to waste, the same sand you see is used up for casting, the whole cement is also used up with the process and nothing is wasted or disposed. With molds you might waste concrete, time and labour, how? You could cast the mold and think everything is alright, then remove it and see there is imperfections like holes, cracks and cavities in the cast.

I think we are better off using this method, except you can point to me how we can use the molds to either save money or make the process faster, smoother. Thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by diordaves(m): 12:27pm On Feb 11, 2012
^^^

Spyder880, on this occasion you got it wrong. I am with Chidexy on this. Lets start with your argument on cost using blocks. You have demonstrated in your post that self made blocks are not much cheaper than block industry if you factor in the time element. Now it is only in Nigeria that an individual will produce blocks at same unit cost with a so called block industry with years of business know how!!!.

This is Chidexy's argument. That there is something structurally wrong with a system where individuals can custom build more effectively than a factory that mass produces. That is not on. This explain why China is finishing us. We need to move away from this reliance on raw power/manual labour and archaic rudimentary method of production and wallow in ignorant bliss that its cheaper. It is not. In all my years abroad, I have never seen an individual who makes block cheaper than a block factory. Do you know why Spyder880, the factories use thousands of moulds with thousands of designs and mass produce cheaply and pass that efficiency savings to professional builders like you making your job easier. So if you need a column like you are currently casting, you just pick up your phone or go online, give your specification and viola! your order is delivered with guarantee and a return policy if you change
your mind. This is the journey we should travelling.

Industries in Nigeria need to be innovative, embark on Research and Development (R&D) in their production process and pass on any such savings to customers. It saves time. It saves money. This is where Chidexy is coming from and not importation of block.

1 Like

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 1:58pm On Feb 11, 2012
^^^ emmmm, bros, you failed to prove to us how cheap this pillar casting will be when you factor in the factory made molds. Am waiting for that analysis.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by OilSubsidy: 3:13pm On Feb 11, 2012
^^^^^^ Prof. Spyder, What i think this guy are saying is that you don't necessary have to own those molds yourself. They can be rented from a company that specializes in that area. All you will pay for isthe  rental money which will not be much at all. They will then deliver the molds and take them away when you are through. Economy of scale should mean they will become cheaper than producing everything yourself.

This is a very valid argument but i don't think nigeria is ready for that shift yet.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 3:24pm On Feb 11, 2012
^^^ I like that phrase "Nigeria is not ready for that yet" good one. But please go ahead and paint the whole picture especially how it affects costs, this business is too competitive for me to charge one kobo higher just because am using ready made casts while the next man submits lower quotes, gets the job and uses manual molding and still delivers smooth pillars, abeg tell me how to cut costs because thats the only language Nigerian clients understands.

I understand the economies of scale argument, and the rental aspect but Ive been there before, one day we shall delve into the concrete mixer/manual mixing comparisons. These two topics are closely related.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Wislet(f): 4:39pm On Feb 11, 2012
@ spyder, dearie re u an architect too??
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 6:00pm On Feb 11, 2012
^^ am not, but I have an architect as part of my team, he is sitting opposite my desk as I type this.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Wislet(f): 6:49pm On Feb 11, 2012
wish i could get the latest(making sense) plan for a duplex. An outstanding one- not one done by amateurs.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 6:59pm On Feb 11, 2012
^^^ just credit my bank account with ***** amount of naira and I will have 3 plans scanned to you, choose one and we can blow the plan out and trim it to suit your pocket.

At the Spyder's team, we go the extra mile to please our clients.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Wislet(f): 7:27pm On Feb 11, 2012
I need to speak with u. Ur line's off.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 7:33pm On Feb 11, 2012
^^ now am back on.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by pato405(m): 8:19pm On Feb 11, 2012
if I register for this class now, no b late registration b that?

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

so much class work have already been covered,  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:31pm On Feb 11, 2012
pillar base, just before setting

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:41pm On Feb 11, 2012
then we set it on the ground around the pillar rods, taking care to measure always.

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by princeonx: 11:41pm On Feb 11, 2012
@diordaves, chidexy, and Oilsubsidy:
What you guys are saying is right on point! Very correct especially from western point of view where time actually mean money. People get paid per hours and when they charge per labour we all know how high that can get.
Spyder on the other hand is looking at the final cost of the project regardless of how many hours or month it takes. Without a doubt you can't compare any type of machine or tools jobs/labour to man power. You guys used block moulding in your examples. Am sure two people can mould double using a machine the number of blocks 5 guys will manually mould even though the 5 guys labour might even be cheaper.
Like Spyder rightly said, Nigeria is not ready or rather we should say there are no enough jobs in Nigeria which is one of the reason 5 guys will spend 5 days doing the same job 2 guys can finish with tools/machine in 2 days. Another good example is overhauling a car engine. It's cheaper buying and replacing with a used one instead of taking apart to fix an old one while in Nigeria a mechanic can drop an old engine, rebuild it and put it back for a little as $200! Which is only 2 hours mechanic job here and overhauling runs in thousands!
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by princeonx: 11:47pm On Feb 11, 2012
spyder880:

then we set it on the ground around the pillar rods, taking care to measure always.
Looking very good and neat chief!
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 2:45am On Feb 12, 2012
I have missed a lot oh . . . Sorry, was busy doing my assignment from some of the classes that we have had
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Ferya(f): 12:20pm On Feb 12, 2012
I have missed a lot oh . . . Sorry, was busy doing my assignment from some of the classes that we have had

Haha!You are lucky! I need to carry over some courses wink
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by chidexy(m): 5:56pm On Feb 12, 2012
spyder880:

Oga Spyder880, now I understand fully what you meant that the cast will also be used. I thought it would be used to cast the final pillar and broken apart afterwards. Those guys are really talented, I must admit. Great job you are doing and a great sunday evening
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by mahabone(m): 9:59pm On Feb 12, 2012
Finally the chicken has come home to---------

Amen to dat 'OSHEE OH'
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by kunlexist(m): 11:15am On Feb 13, 2012
Quantity Surveyor;
kunlexist@yahoo.com
08028662707, 08130209600
Bb Pin-22800792
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by steo: 1:39pm On Feb 13, 2012
mahabone:

Finally the chicken has come home to---------

Amen to dat 'OSHEE OH'

You have to understand that people have different views on things and we are all here to learn/experience these varieties.
You are currently based in Tokyo, where I strongly believe builders don’t carry head-pan on their heads when doing any form of casting. This is normal in Nigeria for small builders.

Everyone has a solid point here and they are based on different perspectives. Majority of Nigerians are quality orientated, prefer projects to be executed on time but not financially ready for the cost associated with these machines that will facilitate the job, thus seek for cheaper options. This is where Spyder is coming from, I think. As a small builder in Nigeria you need to be good in cost reduction to stand a chance in a country where everyone is a builder, no entry barriers and with or without qualification you can build a house. Such machine/mould will add cost without dault, but will benefit in a long-run.

The moulds will benefit mostly big companies that build in large scales and particularly when similarly design is being rebuilt.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by hardbody: 3:07pm On Feb 13, 2012
@Oga Spyder

Permit me to ask this rather 'silly' question. I recently fired my contractor as he was not performing on point. However, i took personal steps to commission the roofing of my house ( a 4 bedroom duplex). I want to proceed to the next stage and currently setting processes in place to purchase the aluminium profiles and glasses ( i intend to personally scrutinize proposals and be fully involved in the purchases and installations at least by a close proxy). However, i am not clear in my head, whether the next steps should really be to procure those frames and install or first construct window protectors. My plan is to do all at about the same time (windows, protectors and plastering) but i need to know in what specific order, please.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

How Is The Square Feet (sft) Of Plots/lands Converted To Square Metres (sqm)? / How Can I Build A 6 Bedroom Duplex With 6.5m Naira / How Much Is Your House Rent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.