Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,483 members, 7,830,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (18607 Views)

Buhari Isn’t God, I’ll Continue To Say The Truth – Fayose / "..I Didn't Say I'll Bomb Nigeria; I'll Destroy It Completely" - Nnamdi Kanu / Reuben Abati Explains Why The President Didn't Say Amen To Anti Corruption Pray (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by Roland17(m): 8:04pm On Jan 09, 2012
Another problem i have with the social networks, they can be easily hacked and statements are misinterpreted in the process of disseminating information. i don't believe such statements should be credited to her,

In as much as i am against the timing of the subsidy removal especially with the absence of viable back up plans to help cushion the effect, i am 100% in support of this plan, because of its long term positive effect on the Nigerian economy.
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by tellwisdom: 8:05pm On Jan 09, 2012
I was furious at Nigeria's No. 1 enemy GEJ, for removing subsidy. But then I assumed that at least he's not silly to mortgage Nigerians for any selfish gains. That was when I had the patience to listen (not just hearing to) pro subsidy removal proponents. After that I had to take a stand, even as it pains me to admit it: I stand with GEJ. If you take a different position let it be a decision based on right information. Thank you.

Hahaha, u cracked me up. Tot u had copy of the agenda with you, forwarded from the office from the office of Okon-ndo iwuara to read to me undecided undecided
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by Mikkysuccess: 8:05pm On Jan 09, 2012
She can call us any name lyk, all i know is she wl soon reep what she sowing. Maybe she need to be told d real story behind Dr. Dora's failure.
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by tellwisdom: 8:11pm On Jan 09, 2012
Another problem i have with the social networks, they can be easily hacked and statements are misinterpreted in the process of disseminating information. i don't believe such statements should be credited to her, 

In as much as i am against the timing of the subsidy removal especially with the absence of viable back up plans to help cushion the effect, i am 100% in support of this plan, because of its long term positive effect on the Nigerian economy

When you talk of economy in Nigeria. To me, you are indirectly referring to the HOUSE, cos i personally have not benefited nothing, so far, so near, from this economy we hear every secs!!
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by Rad1cal: 8:13pm On Jan 09, 2012
tellwisdom:

^^And your point is??

means you are very useless, since you asked for better clarification .
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by wellmax(m): 8:17pm On Jan 09, 2012
Still searching for a thread for intelligent arguements. Maybe someone can convince me to denounce GEJ. Definately not this one. I'm off. Enjoy the personal attacks.
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by tellwisdom: 8:20pm On Jan 09, 2012
means you are very useless, since you asked for better clarification .

shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by stronger: 8:22pm On Jan 09, 2012
THREE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS To Those Of You Who STILL Think Fuel Subsidy Removal is good!!
1) At the town-hall meeting, SANUSI LAMIDO and co. stated categorically that we can't sustain fuel subsidy because we can't keep BORROWING to sustain it. Our economy will crash that way! Obviously it means we don't have the money for it because we have been BORROWING! Now, tell me, what money are they REINVESTING? The money doesn't exist, so wot are they telling you we will re-invest? Have you been SCAMMED?!

2) We all agree there is NOTHING WRONG with fuel subsidy! However, what we are spending on it today is TOO MUCH for the nation's economy to bear. But we know that the only reason it is too much is because of CORRUPTION! So we say eliminate or at least reduce the corruption of the so-called CABAL! The Govt says they CAN NOT and the best way is to remove it entirely let Nigerians bear the burden! THE QUESTION IS, even if the money existed, what is to say that they CAN now PREVENT the CORRUPTION IN THE GOVT that will now reinvest this 'imaginary money' if they COULD NOT stop the Govt-aided CABAL?!! Is it Magic?

3) Okonjo-Iweala and her cohorts claimed at the townhall meeting and put up several ads in the media that the POOR DO NOT enjoy the subsidy because they do not go and buy fuel from the filling stations! Don't they realise that the old woman in the village that buys a product that was transported with a vehicle that uses fuel HAS ENJOYED the SUBSIDY because the cost of the product which depends partly on the cost of transportation has therefore been subsidised? If the govt can't grasp that SIMPLE economic concept, shouldn't we be WORRIED??
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by wellmax(m): 8:35pm On Jan 09, 2012
@stronger
Yes Nigeria borrows to pay for subsidy, but not all the money is borrowed. Only the excess above what the govt can, is borrowed.
2. Yes the problem is corruption, but like you know, corruption in Nigeria is hydra headed, Nigerian should not pay for govt inefficiency, but this is a move to fight oil corruption to an extent. The fight has to begin somehow.
3. Well they might have goofed on this point, but like we all will want to explain others errors, maybe they meant something else.
Bring your points and lets discuss, afterall nobody is directly or indirectly related to Gej or Noi. Thank you.
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by AjanleKoko: 8:40pm On Jan 09, 2012
Poor woman.
She should just keep mum from now on. Her reputation has been battered.
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by lastpage: 8:48pm On Jan 09, 2012
Of recent, this Okonjo Iweala is ALWAYS DENYING EVERYTHING ATTRIBUTED TO HER! shocked shocked

Recall she said she would RESIGN if President JONATHAN REVERSES THE FUEL SUBSIDY?
She said so in a FEC meeting and others present heard her and tweeted it.

[size=14pt]Then She starts DENYING IT saying her words were TWISTED![/size]

Then She says "The Masses Gont Get it"! What an arrant, over-arrogant ediiot!

Now that the Heat is on again, SHE GOES BACK TO HER USUAL DENIAL STORIES! "They are twisting my words"!

Na only you dey speak? Why always you? Why is Sanusi words not twisted

[size=14pt]THUNDER FIRE that your RUNNING MOUTH![/size]

Boko Haram would soon seal that mouth for you! grin grin

Lastpage.

BTW: Funny that B.H. is/will gradually turn to the nemesis of these oppressors, if only they have a straight head! shocked
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by stronger: 8:54pm On Jan 09, 2012
@wellmax
the point with number one is, Nigerians are being made to believe that the AMOUNT of money allocated for subsidy normally would be put into some sort of account and used for development in addition to money previously voted for development. But this is a BAREFACED LIE because SANUSI and co. categorically stated that we CAN't KEEP BORROWING to sustain subsidy!! So the money doesn't exist anymore because Nigeria will NOT borrow!! Geddit? So, what happens then is that the money previously voted for development will be used for some small development and passed off as gains of removing fuel subsidy! Who are we kidding?

as for the second point, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU that corruption is a hydra headed and VERY DIFFICULT to curb, but what they've just done does not solve ANYTHING! They have shared the alleged savings to the three tiers of govt!! Ah!! Tell me wellmax, if they couldn't fight the corruption in ONE SECTOR, How would they fight Corruption in THREE TIERS OF GOVT, MULTIPLE SECTORS, MULTIPLE MINISTRIES??!! Who are we kidding? So they have only transfered the embezzlement from one place to another! Simply put, a NEW CABAL is in town! this just goes to prove the saying 'DON'T STEAL. . THE GOVT HATES COMPETITION!!'

As for the third point, it was a deliberate ploy to deceive people and they stated it very clearly in the newspaper ads! I PERSONALLY READ it where they put 'amount of subsidy enjoyed by woman in village = 0'.

So, we need to read between the lines o. Please counter any of my points so that we can be more enlightened
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by wellmax(m): 9:09pm On Jan 09, 2012
@stronger.
I agree with you.
1. Its true that we'll save some money if subsidy is stopped, its also true that some of the money will be shared by the states (little wonder the govs forum are in full support). we have some credible persons appointed to manage SURE-P, even though our leaders have not given us any reason to trust them again, lets give gej a chance.
2. I will prefer the money in corrupt gov officials hand than in some private companies (notice that very few of the importers are plc). Reason being that the companies do it legally, no one can question them, but the public official when they steal, its illegal and they 'may' be caught.
3. I'm not denying they say that, and I condemn such ill statements, it wasn't well thought out.
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by lastpage: 9:09pm On Jan 09, 2012
[size=18pt]QUOTE OF THE DAY[/size]

@m-ployer
[size=20pt]As long as no attempt is made on fishing out the cabals, GEJ is still on the wrong path. It is  as foolish as trying to replace a stolen good while the thief is there staring at your face. Nonsense![/size]

A round of applause to you, for this apt summary.

If you dont get it, [size=14pt]Then you must be JONATHAN![/size] grin grin grin grin

Lastpage
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by saintohia: 9:22pm On Jan 09, 2012
It's not function of that, I used to like her. If Ngozi Okonjo Iweala can't see and point out to the FEC / Upper & Lower House that something is wrong with the 2012 proposed FG budget and resigns shld they refuse to correct / amend it, she wld never be clean in my eyes again. Nigerian is presently BROKE if u guyz don't still understand what's going on,
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by stronger: 9:28pm On Jan 09, 2012
@LAST PAGE. . . EXACTLY!!!!! GOD BLESS YOU!

@wellmax, my first point just basically highlights the DECEIT that characterises the govt!! Is this the same govt we are supposed to trust and give a chance? they are not even honest about the subsidy thing in the firts place.

ANOTHER POINT which i have made elsewhere is this:

ONE MORE REASON THEY GIVE to remove subsidy is because prices in NEIGHBOURING countries are higher than our own!

So does that mean that our price has to be at par with our neighbours ALWAYS so that people will not smuggle?

So we plan to deregulate and competition would bring prices DOWN? Prices would GO DOWN? REALLY? So by then the smuggling will go on right? Because if we refine and competition pushes prices down, as they have told us, our prices will probably be lower than our neighbours then! By then, it will be a case of us refining in Nigeria and smuggling out na!

Isn't it OBVIOUS therefore that you should not remove subsidy because our prices are lower than neighbours, thereby encouraging smuggling. Rather we should endeavour to put measures in place to CURB SMUGGLING!! If Cameroun sells fuel for 300 NAIRA tomorrow, are we going to increase our own to 300 NAIRA as well so that people won't smuggle?
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by lukkie(m): 9:35pm On Jan 09, 2012
That woman is useless. She should go back to her IMF/World Bank colonial masters who sent her here in the first place.
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 09, 2012
Ngozi Okonjo-Iwe[b]LIAR[/b] is still at it again, abi?
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by Adanora: 9:39pm On Jan 09, 2012
Stupid comments frm stupid pple
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by kbdrim(m): 9:42pm On Jan 09, 2012
wellmax:

@stronger.
I agree with you.
1. Its true that we'll save some money if subsidy is stopped, its also true that some of the money will be shared by the states (little wonder the govs forum are in full support). we have some credible persons appointed to manage SURE-P, even though our leaders have not given us any reason to trust them again, lets give gej a chance.
2. I will prefer the money in corrupt gov officials hand than in some private companies (notice that very few of the importers are plc). Reason being that the companies do it legally, no one can question them, but the public official when they steal, its illegal and they  'may' be caught.
3. I'm not denying they say that, and I condemn such ill statements, it wasn't well thought out.
IMO and most people will agree, Government is broke and they think the easiest way to eat their cake and have is to pass the burden to the masses. why they cant down their allowances significantly? the fact remains that they intend to minimise borrowing to fund non-exixtent subsidy then get their friends the same cabal to build refineries when the downstream sector is fully deregulated. Remember about 20 licenses had been issued by the OBJ administration and they would make sure the govt refineries never work and so the people will be at the mercy of the same cabal. even if corruption is hydra headed, the president has not even made any attempt to fish out the perpetrators of the subsidy scam. GEJ is just a pawn in the hands of these guys who funded his elections and if he is smart he should use the mass movement to go against them but unfortunately he has no guts
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by wellmax(m): 9:48pm On Jan 09, 2012
@ stronger
thank you. The point was not really to make our prices at per with our neighbours, but to stop paying for subsidy if much of the fuel end up across the boarders. If and when our refineries begin production, prices will go down. If you then smuggle outside Nigeria, your crime will only be not paying for customs (and why should you not pay if you make so much profit).
Were you also aware that petrol stations in Benin and some parts of Cameroon have been shut down since Nigeria removed subsidy. It appears we have been subsidizing for the entire Ecowas sub region.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by dbells: 9:49pm On Jan 09, 2012
lies lies lies.executive lies. lies in high places. how can we trust a government that cant just be honest? wen the telecomm sector was deregulated, the prices of telecom services and allied products stayed high and out-of-reach (of most nigerians) for at least 3-4yrs( remember lines cost 25k and N50/min) before most of nigeria could afford the charges( remember GLO pioneered per second billing even when the industry regulator NCC, left us at the mercy of MTN AND ECONET), now this CLUELESS PRESIDENT AND HIS DAFT ADVISERS are mentioning this model(the telecomms) as the possible scenario to unfold in the down-stream sector after deregulation but they foolishly forget that unlike the telecomms sector when we had a choice (not to use phones when the prices were initially prohibitive) , with petrol, we simply have no choice!! can't they just get it?
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by IIKOTECH(m): 9:58pm On Jan 09, 2012
@stronger

You always make sense my friend.
Nigerians cannot separate lies from the truth
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by wellmax(m): 9:58pm On Jan 09, 2012
Dbells? is that the igog, that i know. Just curious bro.
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by member479760: 10:01pm On Jan 09, 2012
even Babangida listen to Nigerians and quit in his own way. With this sshit the born to rule are coming back to take back their country and by then you will be slave to them.
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by rhymz(m): 10:07pm On Jan 09, 2012
I get angry when I hear people talk about some supposed stewpid benefits that will arise from the subsidy removal. It is like some people's brain cells are dead, their ability to think logically especially from past event is seriously flawed.
More annoying are those of us who are privy to the facts and figures and know that there is absolutely no way these ministers mean what they claim they will do with monies they erroneously claimed will be saved from the subsidy removal. These guys and their claims are full of inconsistencies. They talk about savings like there exist monies coming from anywhere; let's not forget that the 2012 budget does not have any provision for subsidy, so which monies are they talking about that will be saved?
I mean, are they going to task the oil marketers and further increase our sufferings cos there is no way they are getting any money from removing subsidy. This is common sense, if there was an allocation already existing for fuel subsidy in the budget and then the government says the money wont be used again for such endeavour but instead they want to channel it to whatever their claims are, then that is simple and a clear cut case of honesty. But in this present case, it is all bizarre stories of non-existent fund that will be used for some American wonder projects that is unprecedented in this country; what a joke! These people realy think everyone is a fool, they can just conjure up stewpid figures and promises and gbam! The problem will just disappear.
Already, Nigerians have continued to ask why there are discripancies in the claims of PPPRA and those of NNPC over the quantity of fuel Nigerians consume per day. GEJ talks about a fictituos powerful cabal like he is helpless and powerless to deal with them; let's be honest to ourselves the main rot is NNPC, all the while, they have been a willing tool, conniving with unscrupulous oil marketers and business men to undermine the purpose of the subsidy scheme. Little wonder they readily went out of their way to dish out money way more than what was budgeted for fuel subsidy to the tune of a trillion naira( this claim also have been proven to be false)even when they did not have the right to do so. Yet Mr President has not taken any step to deal with the compromised goons at NNPC, he probably fears Alison-Madueke might be found wanting, what I see in the handling of the fuel subsidy issue is dereliction of Duty from Mr president to the oil minister down to the NNPC GMD; their leadership style is steeped with irresponsible oversight and the only way they feel they can make amends is to overhaul the entire scheme regardless of whether it will further impoverish the Nigerian populace. They want us, Nigerians to pay more than %100 for fuel for their gross incompetence and irresponsible leadership. These guys obviously do not know what their job description is. Now, they want to cut their nose to spite their face. Nigerians must say no, they must show sincerity of purpose, courage and a resolve to deal with the problems that they caused without having to resort to cut throat shortcuts that only affect the poor while they are shielded from the hardship.
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by lastpage: 10:09pm On Jan 09, 2012
ALL Subsidy removal proponents talk about how it will make us rich as a nation,
but dont ever talk about HOW WE SHOULD END Corruption and PREVENT Smuggling!

I am just very surprised and amused!

Do you leave the Disease and Treat just the symptoms?

[size=14pt]Disease[/size]
:-  CORRUPTION (IN FORM OF SMUGGLING, BLOATED CONTRACTS, WRONG DECLARATION OF FUEL IMPORTS, ROUND TRIPPING, NASS & EXECUTIVE FINANCIAL RECKLESSNESS, POOR ELECTRICITY GENERATION, LACK OF ALTERNATIVE MEANS OF TRANSPORT LIKE FERRIES, TRAIN, E.T.C)

[size=14pt]Symptoms [/size]:- NIGERIA GOING BROKE AND EXPLODING! NEED TO SUBSIDIZE FUEL TO THE POOR MASSES

Am l acting smart or is it rocket science, if l say that "Let us tackle the Disease first" and the Symptoms themselves will disappear"?

But Subsidy removal proponents here say NO, let us just deal with the symptoms and the disease itself will go away!

Does that not sound like Jonathan/Okonjo Iweala/IMF and Sanusi?

Lastpage!
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by wealth123: 10:17pm On Jan 09, 2012
@toronto123 pls consider changing this name as it reminds one of our impeached speaker of the House of Rep who used fake Toronto Certificate.

You are displaying the same features of that man for saying OKONJO WAHALA and her cohorts are the best thing that has happened to Nigeria.

She wants us to save subsidy money but did not condemn N1.3 billion budgeted for FOODSTUFF to take care of GEJ and his vice. The N15m a month pocketed by Legislators in a country that cannot afford to pay N18k min. wage to the poor masses.

This woman has GOOFED. Pls advice her to go back to World Bank. PDP has rubbished her and i can assure you that she can not enter her village now without fear. What kind of service is she rendering to the nation? People are dying of hunger, her own cheeks are blowing up like a balloon.

@beaf since you are identifying with a COW then am not surprised at your comments: JUST AKIN TO A MAD COW.
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by rhymz(m): 10:39pm On Jan 09, 2012
wellmax:

@ stronger
thank you. The point was not really to make our prices at per with our neighbours, but to stop paying for subsidy if much of the fuel end up across the boarders. If and when our refineries begin production, prices will go down. If you then smuggle outside Nigeria, your crime will only be not paying for customs (and why should you not pay if you make so much profit).
Were you also aware that petrol stations in Benin and some parts of Cameroon have been shut down since Nigeria removed subsidy. It appears we have been subsidizing for the entire Ecowas sub region.
God bless Nigeria.
guy if you believe anything from this govt then you will believe anything. If I were you I would ask them to show us facts that there are cases of Nigeria's subsidized fuel crossing to neighbouring countries. How much is the naira equivalent of a litre of fuel in the alleged countries. These guys will say anything to justify the removal of fuel subsidy. By the way, don't you find it weird that same people that are supposed to man our borders are the ones telling us that our oil is smuggled across the border, what an irony. How come you find it hard to address the fact that there is a deliberate effort not to fight corruption in the system. Let's face it, any system that allows for exploitation of course will be taken advantage of, even if it were America. This govt is a cut and nail govt.
Re: I Didn't Say "The Poor Don't Get It" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by arnold75(m): 10:41pm On Jan 09, 2012
I dont knowy nairaland is filled with isi okukos that cant just wait to read what the poster just posted, rather they choose to expose their unocordinated lifestyle on this wall by trying to comment on treads. Is it compulsory to respond to any thread?, you guys should go back and re-read the thread and the link thereof to get the import before making clueless responses.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Lands In Nigeria, Meets Atiku / Bawa: My Achievement As EFCC Chairman Is Increasing Naira Value Against Dollar / Oyebanji Urges Police To Unravel Mysteries Surrounding Mohbad’s Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.