Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,836 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) - TV/Movies (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (43320 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:37pm On Jan 31, 2012
Rofl cheesy

tpia do you say these things on purpose
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 1:21am On Feb 01, 2012
Rotflmao. . .I don't think she does and that is the beauty of it. The day she starts filtering herself is the day nairaland as we know it ceases to exist. cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by NIKKnJAZZ(f): 3:21am On Feb 01, 2012
@Omar22I was just stating my opinion and feelings. Don't disrespect me by using the word "shush" on me. Like you said:

- "The last time I checked Dev Patel is a London boy acting in English sitcoms" - He has Indian parents and has some exposure to the Indian culture after all wasn't he rapping the language all the way in the movie? *duh* The fact he lives elsewhere doesn't change the fact that he is of the Indian heritage.

- "Freida is from a Portuguese decendant living in India" - She lives in India, and therefore, has been immersed in the culture. The babe is of Portuguese descent but was bred in India so could pass as one.

- "Now lets talk about the Indians used, we are talking about Bollywood stars" - Nollywood stars not good enough??

I change my mind about the disrespect statement I made earlier. Now I think you should 'shush' since logical reasoning is not your forte!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 3:39am On Feb 01, 2012

the lady does have an igbo look imo.

i know some will be offended by this, but not looking like bianca doesnt mean someone cant be igbo.

lol- was the statement funny?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 3:40am On Feb 01, 2012
"Freida is from a Portuguese decendant living in India" - She lives in India, and therefore, has been immersed in the culture. The babe is of Portuguese descent but was bred in India so could pass as one

she's probably from goa, a part of india with mixed portuguese descendants.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Joey82(m): 8:55am On Feb 01, 2012
@op

For me, it dosent matter who plays olana's role. The character to watch out is ugwu 'cos he's the most spontaneous character of that book. I also think it will be hard to find a nigerian actress who'll act those bold sex scences as written by adichie 'cos of our culture limitation. I only hope no mistake is made in selecting who plays ugwu's role.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by AmuIgwe: 9:47am On Feb 01, 2012
@ OP:

First of all, Thandie Newton can pass for an Igbo girl -- I've seen plenty that approximate her look, so you may want to look inward regarding the colour issue.

Secondly, Nigerians are now cowards because someone is prudent enough to offer her story the best platform possible? When was the last time you wrote a script picked up by an A-list cast? When was the last time you produced a film?

You're jumping on folks on here but the sophomoric questions following your pointless rant reveals how completely clueless you are as to how these things work. When next you want to call Nigerians r3tarded, speak for yourself.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Jayboy124: 10:15am On Feb 01, 2012
Okay.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by omar22(m): 11:13am On Feb 01, 2012
@Omar22I was just stating my opinion and feelings. Don't disrespect me by using the word "shush" on me. Like you said:

Am sorry I didnt mean to offend you!

- "The last time I checked Dev Patel is a London boy acting in English sitcoms" - He has Indian parents and has some exposure to the Indian culture after all wasn't he rapping the language all the way in the movie? *duh* The fact he lives elsewhere doesn't change the fact that he is of the Indian heritage.

What I was trying to say is that what Sophie Okenedo is to Nigeria is What Dev Patel is to India, he is more Corkney (East Londoner) than Indian

All I know is that if you people do not like the choice of actress they picked, then you lot could raise the fund (£20m) and produce your own version, (probably another Car Crash movie with 4 parts, straight to VCD)
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 12:45pm On Feb 01, 2012
Amu Igwe:

@ OP:

First of all, Thandie Newton can pass for an Igbo girl -- I've seen plenty that approximate her look, so you may want to look inward regarding the colour issue.

Thandie newton does not look igbo, sheesh.

Her playing the role doesnt mean she does.

However, an igbo girl might be found who looks like her.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by omar22(m): 1:26pm On Feb 01, 2012
Thandie newton does not look igbo, sheesh.

Her playing the role doesnt mean she does.

However, an igbo girl might be found who looks like her.

Does she has to look like an Igbo lady now! Lord have Mercy!!!

Now can someone tell me what an Igbo woman really look like!!!

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Afam4eva(m): 4:13pm On Feb 01, 2012
Nigerians are really pathetic with the way they revere beautiful actors like Regina Askia and Van vicker who have little acting prowess just because they are fine. What is the obsession with actors who act American or have good command of english. This is Nigeria and nollywood is a mirror through which Nigeria is seen and you can't tell me that typical Nigerians speak impeccable english. We have millions of the so called mgbekes in the Nigerian society so why is it a problem if someone speaks english in an mgbeke or motor park accent? Do you see bollywood actors trying to act american? Why must we always be the ones to copy everything.

I have no problem with the producers of these movies picking whoever they like for their movie because afterall it's a holywood(british) movie and not a Nigerian movie. But don't tell me that these american actors are better than the ones we have here in Nigeria. we have great actors that if given the same opportunity that people like thandie newton are given will do a better job.

It's also annoying that some people said that don cheadle did well in hotel rwanda despite the fact that he is not rwandan. In as much as i beleive that he tried his best but go and ask a true rwandan and they'll tell you that his his accent was not really rwandan. It's only if you're rwandan that you'll see the relatively terrible job that he did. The same way the "yoruba language" that was spoken in Monique's "phat girls" sounded very strange to me. But since it's an these are american movis, the audience won't know the differenece between a Nigerian and a Ghanian accent. I remember a hollywood movie where a supposed Yoruba buy was speaking Igbo as his language. Hollywood sef no dey try sometimes.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:10pm On Feb 01, 2012
afam, while we dont usually agree, thank you for being the only male so far to provide the voice of reason. and yes it's amazing how Nigerians are quick to praise MEDIOCRE Western actors over their own, simply because th latter is Nigerian. It's pitiful.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by AChigozie1(f): 5:28pm On Feb 01, 2012
[size=18pt]I signed the petition demanding that Thandie NOT be cast as Olanna, Thandie has no business playing that role, she is clearly reaping the benefits of her mixed ancestry.  Such an ancestry is very valuable in a white supremacist world.  I don't see why an Igbo actress or an non-Igbo actress with beautiful brown skinned couldn't be cast as the lead. 

If the character was biracial, would a brown-skinned woman be cast in such a role? NO, she would not. 
[/size]
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 7:14pm On Feb 01, 2012
omar22:

Does she has to look like an Igbo lady now! Lord have Mercy!!!

Now can someone tell me what an Igbo woman really look like!!!

i was replying amu igwe.

and bianca is mixed, in case you missed the memo.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 7:17pm On Feb 01, 2012
maybe thandie looks like these ladies (they seem to be igbo)

who btw are mixed.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 7:19pm On Feb 01, 2012
omar22

can you explain what resemblance you're seeing between bianca and thandie newton.

besides caucasian features that is,
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 7:29pm On Feb 01, 2012
afam4eva:

Nigerians are really pathetic with the way they revere beautiful actors like Regina Askia and Van vicker who have little acting prowess just because they are fine. What is the obsession with actors who act American or have good command of english. This is Nigeria and nollywood is a mirror through which Nigeria is seen and you can't tell me that typical Nigerians speak impeccable english. We have millions of the so called mgbekes in the Nigerian society so why is it a problem if someone speaks english in an mgbeke or motor park accent? Do you see bollywood actors trying to act american? Why must we always be the ones to copy everything.

this kind of reasoning is pitiful and lethargic.

so actors/actresses shouldn't have a good command of english because they are nigerians? what's the official language in nigeria?
no problem, the next time you are applying for a job in nigeria - write your application in pidgin english. you are nigerian, your employers would understand.
that nigeria have millions of mgbekes in the society is not the point - the mgbekes are not the target audience of the movie producers/directors. the target audience is global.

I have no problem with the producers of these movies picking whoever they like for their movie because afterall it's a holywood(british) movie and not a Nigerian movie. But don't tell me that these american actors are better than the ones we have here in Nigeria. we have great actors that if given the same opportunity that people like thandie newton are given will do a better job.

they are way better. stop kidding yourself if you think ramsey nouah is better than don cheadle or ini edo is better than nia long.
how many of these nollywood stars actually studied arts/drama in school? these are home-trained opportunists who got into the movie industry through the backdoor or an uncle with connections. most of them know f@ck all about acting. if you are used to mediocrity because of your foolish patriotism, some of us aren't. when i pay 100 naira to buy a nollywood movie - i expect to get my money's worth. unfortunately, i get 10%.

It's also annoying that some people said that don cheadle did well in hotel rwanda despite the fact that he is not rwandan. In as much as  i beleive that he tried his best but go and ask a true rwandan and they'll tell you that his his accent was not really rwandan. It's only if you're rwandan that you'll see the relatively terrible job that he did. The same way the "yoruba language" that was spoken in Monique's "phat girls" sounded very strange to me. But since it's an these are american movis, the audience won't know the differenece between a Nigerian and a Ghanian accent. I remember a hollywood movie where a supposed Yoruba buy was speaking Igbo as his language. Hollywood sef no dey try sometimes.

don cheadle did very well. . . .who cares whether he spoke english in rwandan accent?
the most important thing was how he carried himself, how ebullient he got, his dedication and how passionate he took the role he played.
you think the way nigerian actors shout like there's an air horn in their throats is quality?
i think you need to get out more and break yourself from the shackles of mediocrity and your firewood background.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 7:34pm On Feb 01, 2012
James Patrick Caviezel played the Role of Jesus Christ?

Was he Jewish?

Were they speaking Hebrew?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 7:51pm On Feb 01, 2012

Erm erm does a duck lay eggs? YES (thats your answer)

The best Nollywood has to offer would struggle to compete with the likes of Vivica Fox, Nia Long, Liz Hurley, Kate Hudson, Rosie Perez, Janet Jackson and these are Z Rated, 

It's also annoying that some people said that don cheadle did well in hotel rwanda despite the fact that he is not rwandan. In as much as  i beleive that he tried his best but go and ask a true rwandan and they'll tell you that his his accent was not really rwandan.

Do you honestly believe someone in the far east of Asia would be concerned whether Don Cheadle sounds like a Hutu? Tell me did Ben Kingsley sound anything like  Ghandi? (I rest my case)

we have great actors that if given the same opportunity that people like thandie newton are given will do a better job.

So they have to be given the opportunity?  Joke of the century,  Idris" Elba had to travel to America and invest in his future (School of Acting) and look at his career sore! now the likes of Tyler Perry cannot afford him,  Nothing stops most the nollywood stars attending an acting school for a year, even Meryl Streep and Angelina Jolie went back and got more training!!!

In life you have put yourself in the position to be located for such favour! Do you think Obama just became the President of united States? he believed and prepared himself, you cannot fly with eagles when your flocking with pigeons, This is strictly business,
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 7:58pm On Feb 01, 2012
I signed the petition demanding that Thandie NOT be cast as Olanna, Thandie has no business playing that role, she is clearly reaping the benefits of her mixed ancestry. Such an ancestry is very valuable in a white supremacist world. I don't see why an Igbo actress or an non-Igbo actress with beautiful brown skinned couldn't be cast as the lead.

If the character was biracial, would a brown-skinned woman be cast in such a role? NO, she would not.

Cry me a river!!!!!!!!!!!!! The last time I checked the movie is not been funded by TAX funds from the Nigerian treasury also the last time I checked, no one here on Nairaland holds the right to the story!!!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by AmuIgwe: 10:43pm On Feb 01, 2012
I'm not even a fan of this Thandie chic, but to call her a mediocre actress borders on haterade. Thandie can very well pass for an Igbo girl, but that is besides the point: Go read up on the definitions of acting and actor and let those sink into your skulls. I'm sitting here laughing at people signing petitions. When you're done with that, go out there and create something of your own and quit casting shade on other peoples' success with your issues.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 10:59pm On Feb 01, 2012
I'm not even a fan of this Thandie chic, but to call her a mediocre actress borders on haterade. Thandie can very well pass for an Igbo girl, but that is besides the point: Go read up on the definitions of acting and actor and let those sink into your skulls. I'm sitting here laughing at people signing petitions. When you're done with that, go out there and create something of your own and quit casting shade on other peoples' success with your issues.

Ding Dong!!!!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by omar22(m): 11:10pm On Feb 01, 2012
omar22

can you explain what resemblance you're seeing between bianca and thandie newton.

I cant remember saying that they look alike!!!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 12:49am On Feb 02, 2012
afam4eva:

Nigerians are really pathetic with the way they revere beautiful actors like Regina Askia and Van vicker who have little acting prowess just because they are fine. What is the obsession with actors who act American or have good command of english. This is Nigeria and nollywood is a mirror through which Nigeria is seen and you can't tell me that typical Nigerians speak impeccable english. We have millions of the so called mgbekes in the Nigerian society so why is it a problem if someone speaks english in an mgbeke or motor park accent? Do you see bollywood actors trying to act american? Why must we alwa
ys be the ones to copy everything.

It's also annoying that some people said that don cheadle did well in hotel rwanda despite the fact that he is not rwandan. In as much as i beleive that he tried his best but go and ask a true rwandan and they'll tell you that his his accent was not really rwandan. It's only if you're rwandan that you'll see the relatively terrible job that he did. The same way the "yoruba language" that was spoken in Monique's "phat girls" sounded very strange to me. But since it's an these are american movis, the audience won't know the differenece between a Nigerian and a Ghanian accent. I remember a hollywood movie where a supposed Yoruba buy was speaking Igbo as his language. Hollywood sef no dey try sometimes.

You have expressed my thoughts succinctly. Actually your bolded points speak more to Thiefofheart's comment about Nigerians being ashamed of themselves than how we view this movie's current cast. Thanks.

One thing that I have to emphasize again however is that the producers of the movie ultimately call the shots. I know we all have ideals about how this movie should go but Hollywood, like most things American/European, could care less about the little details concerning Africa. The things that we're worrying about will make no difference to the movie's bottom line, and profit is what the producers are after. Sad, but true.

We should be focusing on how to make Nollywood a powerhouse without changing the things that make it distinctly Nigerian.

@Tpia - Bianca is not mixed. Also I know several unmixed Igbos with that look.

Not sure about the other ladies in the pictures though.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:44am On Feb 02, 2012
Tpia, why are you responding these people. If they wanna tell themselves that Igbos look like Thandie, that's their own delusional problem

baby-boy:

Were they speaking Hebrew?

Did you even watch the movie?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 1:47am On Feb 02, 2012
I hope they keep Thandie Newton as the main female character and Chiwetel as the male's. I like them both or rather love both of them!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:51am On Feb 02, 2012
Amu Igwe:

Go and sit down, you bloody field slave

who do you wanna school? I know more about film in my bloody pinkie toe than you know in your life.

If Thandie isnt mediocre, why did she receive a Razzie award? Simple bloody question that none of you oyibo worshipping slaves can even answer.

"shade" "haterade". Look at this one getting lingo from BET. ROFL.

Compared to some of the excellent actors we have in Nigeria, HELL YEA SHE"S MEDIOCRE. Oya come beat me na. OLOFO  grin
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 1:52am On Feb 02, 2012
I don't think you'll find that many Igbos that look like Thandie.

It's more to do with her thin Caucasian body frame/ hair than her complexion and features (her facial features are not that Caucasian).

Real Africans tend to be robust and shaped differently (especially the women), even the skinny ones.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:57am On Feb 02, 2012
Nnenna, she's not west african looking IMO. I think she's a beautiful woman even when she's playing a crackhead, aint nothing WA about her however. Sophie looks African. Despite being mixed, she looks African to me.
Thandie reminds me of Sade. Both half African but you cant really tell. If someone didnt know about her Zim roots, you'd think she's regular black american.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 2:11am On Feb 02, 2012
^^^Her facial features favor more of a central/south African look as opposed to west african. There's some Caucasian I agree but I think her facial southern African features are more dominant. Imagine a slightly broader neck and robust body, along with coarser hair and it's more obvious.

Her body and hair screams "white girl" .

Compare her with Bianca and Regina Askia, who look (to me) more "african" due to their body types:

[img]http://nigeriamovies.net/pictures/askia2.bmp[/img]

^^^^ even sef - in spite Regina having "light eyes," her facial "frame" and shoulders, etc differ from those of her daughter who is actually mixed race. This is despite their facial resemblance.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 / Big Brother Naija Pornography: Nigerians Are All Hypocrites - Gochu Enwereji / 33years Later: Do You Remember These People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.